MY2018 S5 Sportback multifunction steering wheel button issue

chanlon1

Reaction score
Website
www.babybmw.net
I have it set to bring up the Drive Select options.
However on more than one occasion when I press it nothing happens.
When I go into the setting it up screen, the correct option is selected.

If I then try it,it will work.

Anyone else?

Happens with me sometimes, guess its just a bug in the software. I've found if you want it to start working again but don't want to turn your car on and off or press the dedicated drive select buttons just go back into the car settings where you choose what the shortcut button does and select say mute voice guidance and then straight after go back to the drive select option.

It should work again after that.

Not had an issue here but guess it’s an intermittent fault - one of those that’s really hard to pin down?

Yeah I can go a month without the issue but all of a sudden it may occur 2/3 times in a week. I may get it booked in for a software update if ones available.

I have this, a quick fix is to hold down the * button to display the options, then back on the central MMI keypad, then it works again.

Yes, I occasionally have experienced this too. I tend to do most driving in either Auto or Efficiency, so on those occasions where I just want to flick quickly to "ludicrous" mode, for an overtake for example, I not tend to just use the gear lever (which can click from drive to sport and back by just pulling back on it with the side button pressed)

I’ll try holding the * button down for a bit longer, but the issue I was having was the fact that the button wasn’t doing anything at all, even though it was programmed.

Yes, I occasionally have experienced this too. I tend to do most driving in either Auto or Efficiency, so on those occasions where I just want to flick quickly to "ludicrous" mode, for an overtake for example, I not tend to just use the gear lever (which can click from drive to sport and back by just pulling back on it with the side button pressed)
you don't need the side button pressed to go between D and S :)

Reactions: S32B
I tend to just pull it back into S mode at junctions to get a quick getaway! then pop it back into D once safe :)

With the S3 I was in Dynamic mode 24/7/52, with the A5 I leave it in comfort.

Reactions: orcomma
Wife sat in passenger seat = eco mode :sadlike:
No Wife in passenger seat = sport mode :racer:

I tend to just pull it back into S mode at junctions to get a quick getaway! then pop it back into D once safe :)

+1
Just don't keep right foot planted too long or you get that rather disconcerting characteristic where the car keeps accelerating hard for half a second or so after you've taken your foot off the accelerator. The gearbox mapping was clearly done by an imbecile.

I will try it tonight on the way home....where do I send the bill if it all goes BANG!?

Yep, it sure does work....now who do I send the bill to for all that extra fuel use and tyre wear

Yep, it sure does work....now who do I send the bill to for all that extra fuel use and tyre wear
Does the invoice have a remittance attached for the healthcare advisory services performed in respect of you now NOT having repetitive strain injury on your thumb from constantly pressing the side button unnecessarily? I reckon we could call it quits, pound for pound :tearsofjoy:

I’ll try holding the * button down for a bit longer, but the issue I was having was the fact that the button wasn’t doing anything at all, even though it was programmed.

That's the same for all of us that have commented. Holding the button down brings up the menu to reprogram it. It shows the button itself is working but not functioning normally.

Managed to remember and try it tonight and held the button down.

Yes it brought the menu up, but still required a bit of button mashing to get it working again.