1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

MY17 A4 - Possible to deadlock/childlock all doors whilst driving?

AudiUser01 Jul 29, 2020

1. AudiUser01

AudiUser01 Registered User

Hi folks.

I recently picked up a 2017 A4 and was wondering if there is a way to have all the doors or the front passenger door not be allowed to be opened from the inside when driving? My partner is a nervous passenger who would feel a lot better if they couldn't open the door when we're driving. The child lock feature for the rear doors is perfect but if only it covered the front passenger door too.

The owners manual says that the auto lock function locks the doors at speeds over 15kph but is unlocked again immediately if one of the inside door handles is pulled. This seems quite contradictory to the purpose of the system.

Is there any way to deadlock the doors from the inside whilst driving?
    Worst case scenario I could maybe strip down the passenger front door and piggyback off of the child lock buttons on the drivers door. Seems a bit much though.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DyslexicDog

DyslexicDog Registered User

I'm sure deadlocking the front doors is unsafe or even removing the locking mechanisms - what happens in a vehicle fire, submerge, rollover etc?

Is your partner nervous they'll open the door themselves or that your kids might?

I think the reason it's not a problem for me is that kids have to be a certain height to be in the front, which means they are usually a certain age and maturity. Same goes for any adults, they know the reasons you don't open the door while moving. Additionally, the doors are heavy when moving (have you ever tried to open them) and they naturally want to stay shut or in that position so it's hard to open anyway.

On the other hand, my Nan used to try to open doors when she was full flow dementia and therefore had to always sit in the back.

AudiUser01 likes this.
  4. Mr Olympik

Mr Olympik Registered User

AudiUser01 likes this.
  5. AudiUser01

Yeah, wife worries she'll try to open it. In 15 years she's never even attempted to but it's a fear that surfaces randomly. On long journeys at some stage she often decides to sit in the back for this reason. Motorways seem to cause it the most, especially if it's busy and we're not in the left lane.

Sounds like it's something we'll just have to live with. Most cars don't seem to support this for understandable safety reasons. All hail the child lock feature for the rear seats! I just wish she didn't have to sit in the back.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. DyslexicDog

Is it a curiosity she has about what might happen or is it far more serious? Is she similar when flying or how about when driving herself?

As I said, car doors are heavy when travelling at speed and prefer to stay shut so not much would happen. Corners would of course change this.

Perhaps relegation to the back seats for her own piece of mind is the easiest solution.

7. AudiUser01

It's OCD related, intrusive thoughts, just a random fear that she thinks she might open the door. She's fine on planes and for the most part she's fine 80% of the time when driving. But busy motorways seems to be a trigger. As I said, she's never actually even attempted to open the door in all the years we've been together. But she panics when the thought wont go away. She's quite happy in the back but I was hoping if I could prevent the door from being opened in the front she would be absolutely over the moon.

Guess we'll stick to the same old plan of having her sit in the back for longer journeys.
    When the moment strikes I often have to pull into the first available lay-by as quickly as possible so she can move to the back and then I have to launch it to get back up to speed and rejoin which I don't like. It's not often this happens but I was hoping if I could lock the door at least until the moment passes she'd be fine.

8. DyslexicDog

Sorry there's no easy solution and every other one (deadlocking) is unsafe.

I've just wondered if you could get a 3D printed insert to slot into the handle area to give the illusion there's no handle, could that help?

Mr Olympik and AudiUser01 like this.
  9. AudiUser01

Now that's an idea! I'll have to look into that. A friend has a fancy 3d printer... I feel a project coming on. Thanks for the suggestion!

10. MOA4B9

MOA4B9 Registered User

You can code with OBDleven to lock the doors with the key while the engine is running. I wonder if that will work as I think the doors cannot be opened from inside when the car is locked with the key. However it might alao turn the alarm on and any movement inside the car will set it off.

11. GenerationGav

GenerationGav Registered User

I've disabled the interior front handle by physically unplugging it, but the exterior works 100% as normal. I was a bit nervous about doing it at first, but it's the same as the rear doors on my previous car which had a physical child lock.

Actually no rules on this, and the A4 has front ISOFix. I've now got a full child car seat in the front. We fitted the car seat so she couldn't reach the door handle. Kind of forgot about the dexterity of children's feet!

This doesn't work. The interior handles still work once you set off.

AudiUser01 likes this.