MY17/18 S3 Gearbox software update (S-tronic)

Mark_86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a heads up, I've been moaning about my S-tronic box for some time and finally, Audi have released a software update for MY17/18 S3's... so just a heads up that if you are having issues with jerky changes or judder from pulling away, this update should fix it.

I'll get the update reference when the cars back next week. (They're also replacing my drivers seat and passenger seat back because they squeak lol).

Reactions: Jcbmally, Supa Koopa, Ian66 and 5 others
Thanks that is great we have the Same issues car in next week for its first service will ask about it when we are in cheers again

Reactions: Mark_86
Thanks that is great we have the Same issues car in next week for its first service will ask about it when we are in cheers again

Interested to here how u get on with that at Stirling Audi. I just thought this was a characteristic of the DSG box

Spotted your good lady in Stirling today again around 4ish heading out the town.
5 cars behind her was an RS3 also in Ara blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ian66
Interesting you mentioned this, I cancelled my appointment for Audi to look at my car for this intermittent juddering due to work commitments last week. I’ll get it rebooked once I hear about the reference number for the update, thanks :grinning:

Hi all,

Just a heads up, I've been moaning about my S-tronic box for some time and finally, Audi have released a software update for MY17/18 S3's... so just a heads up that if you are having issues with jerky changes or judder from pulling away, this update should fix it.

I'll get the update reference when the cars back next week. (They're also replacing my drivers seat and passenger seat back because they squeak lol).

What were the symptoms you had? Mine seems to have a snatchy change when going into 3rd (doesn't matter if its an upshift or a downshift)

What were the symptoms you had? Mine seems to have a snatchy change when going into 3rd (doesn't matter if its an upshift or a downshift)

I had jerky changes and juddering when pulling away. Almost like if you let of the clutch too quick if it was a manual.

Mine just seems to be doing this as well. It seems to snatch changing gears and isn't very smooth. Sometimes it's almost like you're riding the clutch a bit as it makes a bit more noise but its not really moving more (not easy to explain). The weirdest part is its only seemed to have started doing it since I disconnected the battery for a few hours. I removed the battery to charge it and since putting it back on the gear box seems much snatchier than before. Not sure if this is linked or if I'm only just noticing more. I'd be really interested in the software update you get as I think I'll be booking mine in soon. :(

Keep us all updated on this please....will get mine booked in once there's more info....cheers

I had jerky changes and juddering when pulling away. Almost like if you let of the clutch too quick if it was a manual.

Exactly how mine feels but only in 3rd and its done it once going into 5th. I thought one of the clutches was dodgy. I will speak to Audi and get this booked in

So, got the car back, only for Audi to turn around and say... couldn't find anything wrong with it. To which, I said, so what about the software update you explained you were going to do? Answer... lots of blank faces. And... why did you need my car from Thursday to Monday if there was no issue? More blank faces. Something very a-miss here... So, sorry for those who have got their hopes up, but I need to do some investigating here. On a side note, it drives exactly the same.

Reactions: Ian66
Are you going to contact Audi uk to see if there is an updated software?? I would sounds a bit fishy thanks again

Reactions: Mark_86
So, got the car back, only for Audi to turn around and say... couldn't find anything wrong with it. To which, I said, so what about the software update you explained you were going to do? Answer... lots of blank faces. And... why did you need my car from Thursday to Monday if there was no issue? More blank faces. Something very a-miss here... So, sorry for those who have got their hopes up, but I need to do some investigating here. On a side note, it drives exactly the same.
The Audi dealership network doesn’t seem adequate to support the amount of Audi’s on the road anymore. I had to wait 4 weeks to get a service appointment and would have been 6 if wanted a courtesy car.

I'm willing to bet they didn't do the update then.

Mine's had two software updates on the S-Tronic in the past 6 months as a result of two different bulletins that have been out on the car. Granted mine is as PFL 6spd S-Tronic, but I would imagine same applies to teh newer boxes as well. Go back in, give the manager **** and get your car sorted. It's under warranty, you're paying for it!

Oh and forgot to say. The update did make a huge difference to mine.

I checked with a main dealer yesterday and they said there were no updates for my car which is a 2017 S3 with the 7 speed DSG box.

Same on my car, production date 06/2018, 9300 miles

Hi mate, did you ever manage to sort this? My 2017 has very snatchy changes from second to third, physically can feel the car jerk on the gear change. However, in S mode this doesn't happen as the car changes at higher RPM, very annoying!

Hi mate, did you ever manage to sort this? My 2017 has very snatchy changes from second to third, physically can feel the car jerk on the gear change. However, in S mode this doesn't happen as the car changes at higher RPM, very annoying!

I didn't, Audi couldn't find an issue (seems to be a standard response from my local dealer). I haven't noticed it so much recently though. It does do it every now and then but I've not been as concerned about it. I'm on 29k so I'm not far off getting the oil changed on the DSG box at the 35k interval, maybe that will help.

Whats the mileage on your car?