MY11 RNS-E SDHC CARD - ERROR!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have just got my self a 32gb SDHC card (Class 2). Decided to go for a Sandisk as I have used them in the past and wanted a decent brand. At first Windows Vista didn't recognise the card so tried XP & was fine so formatted it (FAT32) dropped some MP3's in put it in the car and it said "Data Corrupt"!
I found an old SD card at home so put the same MP3's on it and it worked fine!
In the user manual it says SD, SDHC and MMC up to 32gb will work. It does however say that class 4 and above works best/faster, is it because I have class 2 or is it just that is does not support 32gb?

Thanks,
Nick

I have MY10 RNS-E and works fine with 2 x Kingston SDHC 32GB Class 4.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Maybe it is because mine is class 2 then, will try and get another one on the way home later and see if it works.

Hi guys relative newby here,i was under the impression that SDHC cards just didnt work withthe RNS E,what does MY donate when you guys say MY10 and MY11? how do i find out what mine is lol and will SDHC cards work? be great to have 2x32gb cards in my RNS E.

Shane MY stands for model year , only the later models (i think it is MY10 onwards) support cards over 2Gb, upto 32Gb.

Ah makes sense,i have 2 4gb standard SD cards with no issues,standard SD cards are like gold dust these days its all SD HC :(

Thanks for that 148KPT

Hi,
im in the process of retro-fitting my rns-e which is part number 8P0 035 193 B therefore MY2010.
This unit will work with up to 32gd SDHC cards then?
And also, what is this about formatting FAT32?
Sorry just dont know what that means...
Thanks

Hi,
im in the process of retro-fitting my rns-e which is part number 8P0 035 193 B therefore MY2010.
This unit will work with up to 32gd SDHC cards then?
And also, what is this about formatting FAT32?
Sorry just dont know what that means...
Thanks

I assume it should work and in my user manual is does state is supports SDHC upto 32gb.

FAT32 is an old file system for hard drives, sd cards etc which did only go up to 32gb and I think now most PC hard drives etc are NTFS. However, you can get software that formats FAT32 above 32gb, I have a bigger drive in my PS3 (FAT32) which I formatted to 300GB.

Popped into Tesco on me way home and bought a 4GB SDHC Class 4 card, wanted a bigger one but they were out of stock. Put it in the car and it said "reading card" and then "card empty" which is promising as the other card just said data corrupt so will get some music on it and try tomorrow. If so I think it must be down to the class and will get an 8gb or 16gb next and see what happens.

I've got the new RNS-E with the gloss black surround, I've not tried any SD cards yet so I'll give it a go.

I've got the new RNS-E with the gloss black surround, I've not tried any SD cards yet so I'll give it a go.

Thanks Stu, after trying the 4gb SDHC Class 4 it worked but skipped loads of tracks and only played certain ones. Assume it is down to the bitrate or something?!? I have decided now to get an MP3 player and use the dock in the glovebox!

So far i've tested SD cards @ 2GB. First I formatted them on my Mac but for windows and they didn't work. Then I formatted them on my mac but in a windows environment, still didn't work. Formatted on my Windows Netbook and it's all good.

I think the larger knob/pushbutton on my RNS is knackered, sometimes it's really difficult to use.

Do you have folding mirrors Nick??

I have decided to get an mp3 player instead now as have given up on the SD cards!

Yes Stu I have folding mirrors.

Do yours both open/close at the same speed?? My drivers one is distinctly slower than the passenger one.

Also my Parcel Shelf seems to bounce quite a bit which is annoying, my other S3 has some rubber stoppers in the tailgate that prevented this.

Lol yes mate the drivers side is slower, a bit weird and I think the passengers side closes further too! It's a shame they don't open and close when you unlock/lock the doors though.

Parcel shelf seems OK to me, better than the Astra anyway.

My dealer called me as a courtesy follow up and I mentioned it. They transferred me to the Service Manager who said it would be a warranty change on the mirror.

Strange you have the same issue.

The mirror issue has been around since the inception of the 8P, usually they either update door module firmware, change the module & possibly mirror itself, dealer dependent, but it is a known issue to the dealers.

I actually updated my mirrors to the newer dumbo of MY08 onwards & also with the very latest door modules & rewired accordingly, since installing these I've had no issues, but also with my testing it seems to be power related, so I found if you fold when engine is running, it is allot better in comparison to when its of.

Also the mirrors are at different angles anyway, they're not at equal angles for lhd & rhd, trust me measured & tested numerous times as I also wondered why they looked slightly of eachother, stupid idea tbh as I the angles obtained with equal mirrors are perfectly sufficient for road use.

I have the new black gloss surround unit, they're identical to the MK2 non gloss surround which I also had & that is the only difference & yes these mk2/mk2.5 units are a little picky with sdhc type cards, just use a higher class card & format it correctly & should work fine, no need for a seperate mp3 player, the units work perfectly well if using the correct cards.

Last edited: