My trip to R-Tech for a remap.

SamiG

On Boost, ish.
Reaction score
Ok so i've been looking into getting my S3 mapped for a while now. After speaking to a few members on here, one name kept cropping up which was R-Tech. Being based in Southamptonm they're a good 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from me so i wanted to make sure they could cater for what i was after. So i gave them a call a good few weeks ago and they guy talked me through what exactly i would get for my money which was... Health check/visual inspection on the car. Dyno to show what power the car is making. Remap then dyno to show the increases in power/torque.

As so many people recommended them and it all sounded good over the phone i went ahead and booked it all in happy as larry. Anyway i've been waiting for today like alittle excited kid for ages, so me and a mate left Southampton at 10am this morning to get up there for about 12:30.

Arrived, got the checks done, all seemed well then got it on the rollers. The graph was all over the show! Only made 198bhp which is obviously under stock for a 2001 AMK.

So that got me worried straight away but the guys started making some adjustments i.e trying to bypass the n75, changing the n75, smoke test for boost leaks etc and after about an hour nothing made a difference. The guy (believe his name is Nick??) came to the conclusion either a faulty MAF sensor or faulty MAP sensor yet no fault codes where being shown?

So in the end after 2 hours work Nick said he didn't want to map it running the way it is and sent my on my way with the advice on changing both components and to come back when i'm satisfied it's running better.

If i'm honest, i was always a bit 50/50 as to weather it was running right but as it's my only 20v i've ever owned i was none the wiser. He said it's so noticeable that when i do cure the fault i will realise immidiately lol.

So anyway i've come away massively disappointed as i was looking forward to the nice drive home with more horsies, but i'm also chuffed that there really are still honest people out there. Let's be honest, he could have just said 'Sorry mate your cars got issues' and sent me away. he didn't, he attempted to find them and fix them first which is top. second of all he could have just not said anything, mapped it anyway and took my money and i'd have been none the wiser.

So there's a massive part of me that is chuffed that i took it there to get such honesty along with help and advice. So as soon as i've got the car running right i'll be straight back up there with my cash :D

If anyone has any other suggestions or inputs to our findings then please feel free to comment!

Ta.

Hello mate:thumbsup:

Shame you didnt get it mapped but like you said thats just what you want and need from a tuner! Honesty!

Will have to take me for a cheeky spin once your sorted bud :eyebrows:
My S3 has got issues, would proberly blow up if i had mine re-mapped now :laugh:

Nick is a good bloke,thats a long way for nothing I feel for you but as said at least he was straight and never just mapped it and sent you on your way.

Nope, didn't charge me a penny.

And to be honest with you, because of that, i will be spending a lot of money with him i'm sure. Honesty is priceless as far as i'm concerned, so i used a tank of fuel for nothing...

Most companys i spoke to didnt even offer a 'health check' or dyno run, they just wanted to map the thing and take my money.

Yeah it's a bit of a distance but decent genuine people are hard to come by in this game nowadays :(

From what i've heard I would definately use R-Tech, if it weren't a zillion miles from me.
Good word of mouth is worth it's weight in gold to these companies. That's why it surprises me so much that so many garages/tuners are wan*ers/rip-off merchants!

Exactly, something i've never understood. The only reason i took my business there is because of a few happy customers mentioned them. Once i've had my map done by them i will recommend them which in turn is self generated business :)

It's simple stuff, shame only a handfull get it right!

im looking to get my map done in the next month, and was thinking amd, rtech or awesome. i thought rtech was in leiceister or is there 2 of them? thanks for ur review tho mate, service sounds brilliant, and that may sway me too. have u got a site for info/prices/contact details

The main problem is that good service and honesty is too much like hard work for a lot of people. But you find the ones that enjoy doing a good job are normally also the honest ones.

im looking to get my map done in the next month, and was thinking amd, rtech or awesome. i thought rtech was in leiceister or is there 2 of them? thanks for ur review tho mate, service sounds brilliant, and that may sway me too. have u got a site for info/prices/contact details
Its in Hinckley...which is a town outside Lesta

I have some friends at Milltek and they too recommended Nick to me for some bits and pieces - there are a lot of clowns out there who would not have even health checked your car and just mapped it regardless - so on the positive side you could have two imminent power increases very soon! Good times!

I have some friends at Milltek and they too recommended Nick to me for some bits and pieces - there are a lot of clowns out there who would not have even health checked your car and just mapped it regardless - so on the positive side you could have two imminent power increases very soon! Good times!

Exactly :)

A local tuner to me wanted twice the price just to flash the ECU then drive it down the road after. That's it. No health check. No dyno.

unlucky mate sounds like my story before i went for my remap except my decided to break 3 things at once the day before after closing time everywhere anyway long story (on here somewhere lol). At least you know what ur after now to get it all sort eh mate. n once mapped ull gain an extra 10-25bhp ontop of ur remap increase aswell!

Similar story to my brother who had his S3 mapped at R-Tec. His car was thoroguhly checked over prior to any maaping was done, then checked for fault codes. He too was told that the MAF was in need of replacement. Luckily, we only live a few miles away so we made a quick trip to TPS, and exchanged the MAF.

The difference after the map is night and day - much more power, on boost it pins you to your seat! The RR graph gives you one part of the picture, driving it only reinforces what the map shows. I remember when my brother took me for a quick run in his car after the remap, everytime it came on boost he would chuckle out loud...

My brother later went back and got Nick to rip out all the extra emissions junk, N249 / 112 EGR valve etc. Nick fitted the blanking plate, checked everything over and the cost was unbelievably reasonable for the work that was put in. It's not often that you do come across a company that exceeds expectations, R-Tec are one of a few that deserve the praise they get.

Little tip - if anyone's planning on making the trip up, the crew at R-Tec are partial to Hobnob / Choc Chip cookies :p.

SamiG, any updates on this? im itching to get a remap and Rtech seem to be the ones to go for just wondering what you think of the map if you have it yet.

Cheers

Changed MAF sensor for a new OEM unit... No difference :(

Changed MAP sensor yesterday and found the IC pipe that the MAP sensor is on has split, changing the MAP sensor made it worse so now it runs like a bag of dog poop. Gonna' order a new IC pipe tomorrow and fit that then fingers crossed that does the trick.

As soon as it's running perfect i'll be straight back up Rtech for the mapping. I have a week off work at the beginning of Feb so it will be then so long as i sort the boosting issues :)

Exactly the same thing happened to me mate about a year ago. I travelled up from Petersfield (not far from you) to R-tech to get my AGU a3 mapped for its new k03s. I was soooo excited but after Nick had spent a lot of time and resources checking the car over he decided he'd rather me sort some things out before he mapped it.
About a month later, I was back, and my god am I glad I waited and fixed the things Nick had picked up on.
Really is a rarety finding a company as genuine as R-tech in this day and age!

Changed the intercooler pipe today that was split, obviously it has fixed the running issue as it was running like a pile of horse **** but it's still underboosting by the feel of things, there's no improvement in power delivery so it seems I still have a boosting fault somewhere, I just have no idea where :(

Any ideas people?

That's a brand new OEM MAF & MAP sensor now along with ruling out boost/vac leaks, actuator and the N75 valve, what else could it be???

Brittney Jones Confidential Tape . News (Fellas check the pic!) Brittney Jones Still Trying to Sell Ashton's Supposed Sweater! 4 Dec 2010 Brittney jones Young lady a adore story with Ashton Kutcher purports to be – is constructed with a sex fasten from Vivid. you also store: 7 Oct 2010 The HOTTEST Brittney Jones nude pictures on the internet! These are the controversial naked photos everyone is talking about! Brittney Jones Sex Tape Slutload

yeh the brittney jones sextape will fix it lol

its not just that the ecu hasnt adjusted properly yet is it? since its not used to it and has since adjusted to run when it was poorly?

might be worth a quick log on to vagcom and see if u can just refresh it kinda thing.

Im sure someone said if u clear fault codes (even if u dont have any) it starts again and takes new reading. someone will confirm im sure

Been told about disconnecting the battery for a few hours so the ECU resets??

if your wanting reset the ecu you might be best just unplugging the ecu unit that resets it.it only takes a couple of minutes not hours

Was this issue ever resolved and did you get it remapped in the end? I recently put an 1.8T AMK engine in to a Bora 4motion, it's fitted with all the right mods Badger5 TIP, Pipewerx downpipe, front mount etc but only running on standard map. I logged the flow with vag-com and the most it made was 161 g/s @ 6,200 rpm which is approximately 200bhp as well. Cheers, John