My smashed Sportback

i guess you have unfinished business with the sportback,so maybe another,and if im allowed you'll probably be expecting me to say a 3 series,but you've had one already,seat leon,a4 also sounds good,mmmmm,decisions,decisions?.

From what I've read,the X3 is just a bad car.
Bad build quality,hideous ride and over-priced.
Aren't they built in Brazil or something ??
Better off with a used X5.
Doesn't stop people buying them,like friends of mine.
Just another example of the badge being all-important.

If you're looking at an A4,you should look at the new Passat.
I've driven one recently and it reminds me of my A4,but with a far more modern interior.

Unless the Audi badge is all-important....

Update:

Just called insurance co. and still waiting for engineers report !!!!
How long soea this normally take it been 3 weeks now ?

Put it this way it takes a week for an engineers report on a split bumper cover after a low speed shunt.

Try phoning the bodyshop direct to get some feedback.

Start to finish my rear-ended A4 was three weeks.
Have you got a decent loan car in the meantime ?
That helps.
If you're driving around in a Kia with "yes,I crashed my car" all over it,then that sucks.

rabs said:
They have given me a E Class to potter about in. Can't complain really.

Cool.
Did they give you a felt suit and a hat with a feather in it too ?

Baom Chicka wow woooooow...

Didn't you do well - I got another A3 (slightly lower spec) I've just heard the estimated completion for my car is 30th May for just a new rear bumper assembly.

Might of found a replacement for my Sportback...Yes another one. 2.0T FSI In White S-Line Limited Edition..(not sure why limited)
It has 3k miles 18" RS6 alloys, Bose Symphony 6cd Xenon Armrest black leather. Piano black trim. Jan 2007 Ex demostatrator about £19k

How does that sound ? At least they might see me coming in a white one :)

Sounds like a nice spec, even if they do fix your car mayb worth swapping it!!

Ok, i had phone call this morning from insurance company, confirming it was a total loss and they have offered £16000 seeing i paid only alot less i am quite happy.

But i know people say i should not except the 1st offer what do you think ?

good result then if they offered you more than what you paid for it!

arthurfuxake said:
No harm in trying for a higher amount, all they can say is no.

That's what I'm thinking too.
Not as if they can say "no,and we're actually reducing our first offer now coz you've been cheeky"

I think if i reply saying i would like a little more, i reckon they could think i am being greedy and offer a lower amount.
So i think i will take their offer.
I have arranged to see a White Sportback tomorrow......What is opionion of White cars ?

for how long though??????? its only good at the moment because everyone went off it so there were few about, anything looks when its rare, but if everyone starts buying white then it will soon go out of fashion. Just like silver now - i think its so common and overrated 3 out 10 cars must be silver its just boring!

I had a laugh with a mate who works for a vauxhall dealership about silver cars.
Their yard was filled with them.
So I phoned him up,put a funny voice on and said "I'm looking for a silver Astra"
The excitement in his voice was tangible.

I agree with you about silver Steve184,it's dull,dull,dull.
Doesn't reward proper cleaning,blends into the background etc.etc.

White though...oh dear god no...
For as long as I've been driving,white has never been 'in'.
I can't ever see it being 'in'.
It'll always unpopular,in my book.

I've even owned a white car,a Nissan Almera (company car...)
The only 'good' thing about it was accidentally being taken for a police car when you were behind people,and them pulling over.
That was good for a laugh,until I remembered I was driving a white Almera..
It's the only car I never washed by hand.
No point,no rewards.
So it only ever went through carwashes.
The there was the tar,that made it look like a dalmation...

imo,it looks good on certain cars(not all cars),a3simons one on here looks good in white,so there.

i do agree about silver though,far to common,because fleets seem to like silver i guess.

I think the white S3 looks amazing. I was flicking through some older posts and a member (from europe) had bought one with the bucket seats. WOW!:hubbahubba:

I'd say go for it, seen two s-line sportbacks on the road, one with black rails, and one with chrome rails. Both looked excellent and were a real head turner.

A few pics of the American S-line Titanium edition.

149.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

152.jpg

151.jpg

148.jpg

yes advanced driving course as this would have helped. I know a lot of you are laughing but I have taken one for my car and bike and have learned loads from the experience, one being evasive action. Bit late now but very useful for the future.
Hope you get things sorted to your satsfaction and I wouldn't want it back.
Keep your chin up
Peter

:arco:

Peter Hopper said:
yes advanced driving course as this would have helped. I know a lot of you are laughing but I have taken one for my car and bike and have learned loads from the experience, one being evasive action. Bit late now but very useful for the future.
Keep your chin up
Peter

Totally agree. Have done IAM in the car but not got round to doing the bike test yet. Has made me a safer driver without having to slow down. Enjoy driving even more since I've done it.

Macduff said:
Have done IAM in the car but not got round to doing the bike test yet.

I've had occasion to be out with some IAM bike instructors and I didn't like what I saw at all.
In fact,some of their riding 'tips' were downright dangerous,IMO.
Their positioning for corners is well dodgy,for example.
For right handers,they advocate riding in the gutter before the corner.
Yes,it gives you the best line of sight,but the crap being kicked up by their tyres was unbelievable and they were asking to lose either end.
Their positioning for left-handers was equally iffy.
Again,your line of sight for left-handers may be improved by hogging the centre-line,but it's asking to get wiped out by some car driving gimp cutting the corner coming the other way.
I don't advocate riding bang in the middle of the road,but I certainly don't advocate the extremes they suggest.
I was genuinely worried by these blokes' riding,to the point where I (and others) backed off.
That probably gave them the impression they were fast,but they weren't !
It's your money,but as some who's been riding for 24 years,has raced and instructed at race schools,I'd suggest you could better spend your dosh going to a track day/race school and learning the limits of your bike.
A fair proportion of bike accidents are caused by the rider assuming the bike will not make it in a certain scenario (going straight on at corners rather than leaning it in harder,or not braking hard enough for fear of locking up).
Learning that a bike will actually do some pretty amazing things is potentially more life-saving than some 'advanced' riding techniques,IMO.

bowfer said:
I've had occasion to be out with some IAM bike instructors and I didn't like what I saw at all.
Yes,it gives you the best line of sight,but the crap being kicked up by their tyres was unbelievable and they were asking to lose either end.
Again,your line of sight for left-handers may be improved by hogging the centre-line,but it's asking to get wiped out by some car driving gimp cutting the corner coming the other way.
I don't advocate riding bang in the middle of the road,but I certainly don't advocate the extremes they suggest.
I was genuinely worried by these blokes' riding,to the point where I (and others) backed off.
It's your money,but as some who's been riding for 24 years,has raced and instructed at race schools,I'd suggest you could better spend your dosh going to a track day/race school and learning the limits of your bike.
A fair proportion of bike accidents are caused by the rider assuming the bike will not make it in a certain scenario (going straight on at corners rather than leaning it in harder,or not braking hard enough for fear of locking up).
Learning that a bike will actually do some pretty amazing things is potentially more life-saving than some 'advanced' riding techniques,IMO.

Sounds like an instructor taking instructions too literally. Of course moving to the left for a right hander and near the centre line for a left hander gives you a better view but you always have to sacrifice view if doing so puts you in a dangerous position. e.g. if you're doing a left hander and there's traffic coming the other way you move back to the centre of your lane.

There is no rule for how to take all corners as you need to use observation to establish the safest way round a corner.

I agree that track days can help but riding on a track can give you a false sense of security as the surface is much gripier than your typical public road.

As a matter of interest, was this the Aberdeen group you went out with? I haven't ridden with them for 10+ years as I did all my IAM stuff down in Milton Keynes.

Peter Hopper said:
Keep your chin up
Peter

LOL

I have done 2 advanced driving courses also many off road driving courses......and i am afraid you are 100% wrong... it did not help one single bit.

When someone pulls across your path at the last second and you do not even manage to get your foot off the accelerator then i'm afraid to say you are gonna get hit.

You don't have to declare any accidents unless they are insurance write offs/
When my car was in the bodyshop, the guy showed me a passat that had been stolen from the forecourt and smashed up, he told me it was going to be repaired then put back out for sale, no mention of the crash to the unsuspecting buyer.

My opinion would be an Avant. I know I could be a bit biased but I had 2 different 2.0 TDi S-line Sportback's while mine was in for repair and neither had the quality feel of the A4. Just my opinion though.

bowfer said:

I did the IAM test back in 1997 and the group I used also suggested the same road positioning as the guys you rode with, but there were important differences. They emphasised heavily the need to always be prepared to sacrifice position for safety, instilling the need to take into account road conditions at the time. They were pragmatic enough to realise that on right handers there may be debris on the road so made sure to tell you to be flexible and move away from the kerb in those instances. Likewise with the left handers making sure everyone knew to move in towards the centre of the lane when it wasn't safe to be close to the centre line.

bowfer said:

Riding on a track day will be useful in finding out what a bike can do, but on balance I think a good advanced instructor will be able to teach you more about road riding techniques than what you will pick up on a track day. Riding on a track is great but there are non of the pressures of road riding, such as having to cope with debris on the road, on coming traffic etc etc, all of which will be covered in an advanced riding lesson, or series of lessons.

Of course the ideal scenario is to do both:yum:

bowfer said:
I know I wouldn't feel the same.

To me,it'd like trying to reconcile with a bird that has shagged someone else.
They're just 'spoiled' and that's that !

hehe....like your logic mate!