My Silver 2003 A4 1.9 130

A7788

Reaction score
I have been a member for a while now and have posted numerous threads about my car, but thought I will create one thread to keep things easier ;)

Firstly, my name is AJ and I am from Medway, Kent area. Been driving small (and troublesome) cars until I got my A4. List mainly includes Peugeot 207's and a Ford Fiesta.

Thought I would upgrade to something more reliable along with more space so bought a 2003 silver A4 1.9 130 diesel Quattro.

Well this is her just after I picked her up;

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Since I got her I have done a few bits, including fitting aftermarket parking sensors, a new temp sensor, new number plates, new battery, new clutch and DMF, and fixed the glove box but she still needs a few other bits doing.

Bits on the list is;
Get the dents and scratches fixed
Both driver and passengers' side doors has dropped and will need re-adjusting
Drivers side front wing has rust all round and needs replacing
Drivers seat rocks - needs taking out and welding
Back drivers seat needs lumbar support replacing and the Audi fixing kit for the back panel

That's about it. I luckily have a friend who works for Audi road side assistance so he has been helping me with doing most bits on my car.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Last edited:
Looks good fella, glad you got new plates. The ones in the pics look knackered!
Glad you're fixing the little problems.

Looks good fella, glad you got new plates. The ones in the pics look knackered!
Glad you're fixing the little problems.

Yeah rear one kept falling off - pain in the backside lol. All done now at least.

Looks nice a whole not better than the way mine looks atm lol, i have the same issue with the seat rocking, i guess its a common fault? is there a how to on the repair?

Looks nice a whole not better than the way mine looks atm lol, i have the same issue with the seat rocking, i guess its a common fault? is there a how to on the repair?

Yeah have seen it mentioned on a few forums. No real how to, from what I have seen is the only way to fix it is to weld it.

Forgot about the leak on the rear diff. Spoke to TPS who advised you cannot get the seals alone, but you need a new diff @ a couple of grand :tumble:

Have however found something the big boys use - Forte Seal Conditioner FORTE SEAL CONDITIONER OIL SEAL NEW 125ML | eBay

Will give that a try and see if it cures it.

Another question, can the car fail the MOT on the basis of the front seat rocking? :confused:

looking good

Depending how quick you need an answer to that, mine is going in for test either next week or week after, and mine is rocking, so ill be able to tell you once ive had mine in,,

That'll be great, thanks. Mine isn't due until December - just wanted to give myself enough time to fix it in case it would be an issue.

Forgot about the leak on the rear diff. Spoke to TPS who advised you cannot get the seals alone, but you need a new diff @ a couple of grand :tumble:

Have however found something the big boys use - Forte Seal Conditioner FORTE SEAL CONDITIONER OIL SEAL NEW 125ML | eBay

Will give that a try and see if it cures it.

Another question, can the car fail the MOT on the basis of the front seat rocking? :confused:

Have a word with audi as im pretty sure the diff seals are available, and the drivers seat depending on how much movement there is would fail the mot

Thanks swarcup.

Ok another question then - on my Fiesta diesel me and my dad looked into using bio-diesel but the max on that engine was 5% - which at that time the fuel companies started using 5% bio-diesel anyway so we left it.
Now I am wondering what about the 1.9TDi 130 engine, can that be run at 100%? Anyone doing it?

Got a few bits this morning, new brake pads and disks all round, as well as new master brake cylinder and an Allard EGR delete kit - they were on offer for £50 last weekend :)

20121117_130312.jpg

......Allard EGR delete kit - they were on offer for £50 last weekend :)

jammy sod i wish id known that id of got one too, im currently in my overalls doing my brakes as i got my mot on monday, having a chew on tho because i didnt buy a caliper rewind tool before i started lol

jammy sod i wish id known that id of got one too, im currently in my overalls doing my brakes as i got my mot on monday, having a chew on tho because i didnt buy a caliper rewind tool before i started lol

Haha sorry mate, maybe I should have posted it in the eBay section huh? :p
The right tools makes any job easy lol. My front passenger and rear drivers side brakes are seized so not looking forward to that job - that's what the master cylinder is for as I don't think there is enough pressure for the pistons on the calipers to release. Failing that I need a new couple of calipers...
Wife isn't too pleased at the amount I'm spending on the car lol :p

Haha yeh ya should of, ive just spent £80 on front pads (mintex) as discs are actually still good and pads wore evenly, and rear discs and pads both mintex also, now waiting on a lift to machine mart to get the necessary tool to finish the job lol, then gotta do a fan belt on an old tigra for my mum so a rather busy day,

Feel for ya with the calipers, mine are in good condition thank god (couldnt be doin with buyin new ones)

With any luck this will be my last mot job, already done registration light cluster and rear seatbelt

I still have a few bits to do before MOT next month as well, drivers seat moves and needs sorting, master brake cylinder, pads and disks all round (and potentially new calipers). Just had new Falken ZE912 tyres fitted all round as well. Hoping once the brakes are sorted the car starts to be reliable as otherwise I might have no choice in trading her in for maybe a newer model...

Just finished my brakes and although they work if you press hard on the pedal once you have pumped it it does very slowly sink, im guessing this could be the start of the master cylinder? or possibly slave? my seat moves but i guess ill find out tomorrow if its a MOT failure just done most my bulbs and not long fitted tyres,

I do get a knock pulling off on full lock but nothing suspension wise is excessively worn so im guessing ill be looking at changing suspension arms next

MOT went well, passed with 4 advisorys, 2 rear tyres at 3.something mm, my oil leak from sump (which i knew about) and a slight imbalance on front brakes, which i guess will be from me just doing pads and not the discs, which ill sort when i upgrade to 312mm discs

But overall really happy im now tested till 29th nov 2013, not even a mention on the seat, or even my active engine mount being a little worse for wear

good to hear about you MOT mate, mines in fora full service today. and new rear discs and pads.

what parking sensor kit did you fit?

also you have any pics of them fitted?

cheers,

J

thanks for getting back to me mate,

are they easy to fit?

Not that difficult, just need to measure correctly and have confidence to drill the holes ;)

Have another question - Can anyone tell me what these pins are below for the overhead lights. Have managed to work out pin 7 is the switched 12V (Ignore the tape, found it like this :S ). Basically I have bought a dimming rear view mirror and want to tap of the overhead lights. From what I have seen pin 1 on the mirror is switched power - so pin 7 on the plug, and pin 2 on the mirror is ground - that's fine. But where does pin 6 (Overhead console connector - I believe this is to not dim the mirror when the internal light is on) from the mirror go on the overhead light plug?

20121120_160512.jpg

20121120_160517.jpg

..Or maybe pin 6 is a link to the reverse light so it turns off when I engage reverse - anyone know if this is correct? In which case do I need to run it to the fuse box?

Evening all!

Some of you might have seen the post I put on here about selling my car, well the full story is that the wife wanted me to get a newer car that needed less work doing to it. Although I love the A4 I went along with it and went to Citroen, Seat, Kia, Vauxhall, Nissan as well as VW dealers to see what offers they had on.
The only place that actually offered a deal worth looking at was Vauxhall on the new astra, but I have never been a vauxhall person so kept looking. I then discovered that there is a new Skoda Octavia coming out next year, so went along to Skoda and asked them about current stock. I was told that production has stopped a while ago, and whatever is left is what I can buy. Unfortunately there were no Race Blue manual VRS's left at all - saying that there are almost no manuals left in any colour!

I then saw a 12 plate Octavia VRS TDI with 7k miles on it with all the options I wanted and in the race blue colour! Was a managers car up in Milton Keynes. Have paid a deposit on it, and hopefully will be picking it up next Sat (the 8th).

I have now managed to sort it so I don't have to sell my car really quickly, so am busy fixing up the last few bits - will get it MOT'd next month and then sell it on. I am sad to see her go, but am looking forward to the new motor as well :D

As I have said before the rear brake caliper was seized, and I thought it was the master cylinder that needed changing. Well it was looked at today and turns out it wasn't the master cylinder but the caliper itself (as a few of you mentioned on here - thank you!), the seals had gone - so this was fixed and she is right as rain now! New pads and discs fitted at the same time as well.
She will be getting a proper clean this weekend, then I will get some proper pictures and will create a proper ad.

Because I am selling I am not going to fit the Allard EGR delete kit - so am open to offers on this. It is brand new so sensible offers please :)

Thank you for all the help and advice so far, and sure I will hang around for another while :)

hiya mate good luck with the purchase, exactly the same motor i would like next (some serious saving needed tho), it is also where i got my inspiration to do my rallye green respray :) you will have to let us know about the new car before you sell up the audi.

Thanks mate, can't wait to get the new motor! Always wanted a VRS and now with the new Octavia coming out next year I got one of the last few remaining ones at a great price :D
Have done everything on my A4 now and have put it up for sale, so the next owner will have a great motor with nothing to do! Not trading it in for the Octavia as I wasn't offered a lot unfortunately.

Picked up the new car on Saturday morning, absolutely love it. Audi is still for sale - getting some interest now at least :)

Few pics of the new motor outside the dealership - it is a 2012 2.0 TDI manual vRS;
2012-12-08105551.jpg

2012-12-08105603.jpg