My Shark Stage 1 and DSG remap experiences! lol.

As Shark are not a direct sponsor on Audi Sport (although some of our dealers are) then it would be unfair for us to discuss this on the open forum and gain unfair exposure.

Therefore, could I please ask that anyone who wishes to discuss this contacts us at Head Office on 01623 332233 or sales@sharkperformance.co.uk

I would also like to state that any updates we make are of course offered free of charge to any existing customers with our software. With Shark Performance you buy a service, not a product and we are very happy to work with individuals to make changes to their personal requirements.

Thanks

Ben
Shark Performance

To echo Bens comments and to clarify, the `revised` ECU map that I will be receiving this week is in fact Free Of Charge.

Paul

Finally got my drive out! :sign_omg:
Now that's how the car should drive! So damn stealthy its stupidly good. Compared to my Subaru its better. Smooth, rapid, grin inducing acceleration! I don't know how the hell you big power monsters drive your bigger power S3's. The DSG map is good. Manual mode, foot to the floor and just sit there pulling the paddle in what seems like seconds before you reach 'illegal o'clock' on the speedo and have to back off to keep your licence! Unreal. Very impressed now but I now know why I felt so underwhelmed before the DSG map as well. I had only had the one 'proper' fast car in my Subaru and that was like 'raw' power, bigger turbo, sat on coilovers, etc so compared to the S3 it is seat of your pants shove, where the S3 is so damn smooth, quiet, and still a shove that even the wife has got no idea at all how rapid it actually is. I am a lot happier so far! Lets hope it stays that way for what it has cost. :yes:

As Shark are not a direct sponsor on Audi Sport (although some of our dealers are) then it would be unfair for us to discuss this on the open forum and gain unfair exposure.

Therefore, could I please ask that anyone who wishes to discuss this contacts us at Head Office on 01623 332233 or sales@sharkperformance.co.uk

I would also like to state that any updates we make are of course offered free of charge to any existing customers with our software. With Shark Performance you buy a service, not a product and we are very happy to work with individuals to make changes to their personal requirements.

Thanks

Ben
Shark Performance

Ben, I've emailed the above address regarding the similar issues I am having to a couple of members in this thread. I look forward to your response and to getting these issues resolved as soon as possible because I still believe Shark Performance are one of the best and your aftersales care is second to none.

Thanks,

Andy

Revo FTW! My S-tronic S2+ is flawless :)

Not going this route mate, DSG map is not an option for me however SHARK are just about to offer an alternative solution, hopefully for COB today:unsure:

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the new map, so I can put Shark back on my list of possible tuners.
When I get an S3. If I get an S3.

I've just received my revised Stage 2 map with DSG 'patch' from Mikko, so will get it uploaded tomoz and give it a try out. I've been experiencing a few issues similar to other members (sooty exhaust, black smoke under load, carbon deposits on the back end etc) so after fitting a Race Diagnostics Liquid Gauge to my S3 on Friday and not being able to get a torque reading over 272lb/ft, I thought I would contact Shark today. Have to say that Mikko has been SO helpful - the guys at Shark are ALWAYS helpful - and I'm sure the new revision to the map will be just the ticket. Thanks to RPB for posting this thread with all his recent findings. So glad your car is running the way it should be with your DSG TCU map. Will post my Stage 2 findings ASAP. :wub: xx

I've just received my revised Stage 2 map with DSG 'patch' from Mikko, so will get it uploaded tomoz and give it a try out. I've been experiencing a few issues similar to other members (sooty exhaust, black smoke under load, carbon deposits on the back end etc) so after fitting a Race Diagnostics Liquid Gauge to my S3 on Friday and not being able to get a torque reading over 272lb/ft, I thought I would contact Shark today. Have to say that Mikko has been SO helpful - the guys at Shark are ALWAYS helpful - and I'm sure the new revision to the map will be just the ticket. Thanks to RPB for posting this thread with all his recent findings. So glad your car is running the way it should be with your DSG TCU map. Will post my Stage 2 findings ASAP. :wub: xx

Well I've emailed them early Saturday and I haven't heard a peep from them. Pretty useless communication I'd say. not impressed at all. Don't think I'll be recommending them at all now. None of it has really worked properly.

Well I've emailed them early Saturday and I haven't heard a peep from them. Pretty useless communication I'd say. not impressed at all. Don't think I'll be recommending them at all now. None of it has really worked properly.

Very sorry to hear that Mike :(. I did make sure to put in the subject line of my email to them that it was a query from an 'existing customer' in the hope they'd look at it quickly. :wub: xx

I also emailed them early Saturday but haven't heard anything back from anyone as yet. I was hoping to get something sorted by the end of the week really.

I also emailed them early Saturday but haven't heard anything back from anyone as yet. I was hoping to get something sorted by the end of the week really.

useless. wish I had to stuck to Revo. arghh too late now.

Right, new map came today.

Uploaded it an hour ago and can confirm the car is now properly, properly quick.
Its excactly what I had hoped for.

Havent been far yet but within 100yards it was clear the difference was dramatic.
Made me laugh out load.

So, despite a bit of stuttered start, I am very, very impressed with the end result.
Recommended:icon_thumright:

PS- When I spoke to SHARK last week they did say they had something on this weekend gone, maybe why its been quiet from them.

Reactions: RedDejavu

Uploaded it an hour ago and can confirm the car is now properly, properly quick.

Havent been far yet but within 100yards it was clear the difference was dramatic.
Made me laugh out load.

So, despite a bit of stuttered start, I am very, very impressed with the end result.

PS- When I spoke to SHARK last week they did say they had something on this weekend gone, maybe why its been quiet from them.

Glad to hear this mate. Would you say it's a bigger difference versus stock than your last S3 was when going REVO??

It begs the question though..... why not this in the first place???
I hope it's not a "rushed" fix with minimal testing. Was anything explained on this front??

Glad to hear this mate. Would you say it's a bigger difference versus stock than your last S3 was when going REVO??

It begs the question though..... why not this in the first place???
I hope it's not a "rushed" fix with minimal testing. Was anything explained on this front??

Probably the same to be honest mate, the last REVO S3 was manual and this one is DSG but from the few miles I have done today so far I would say this SHARK is every bit as good as the REVO in the satisfaction stakes.

I was also concerned about running a `development` map but have been assured that this map was already available, just not widely offerred as SHARKs preferred approach to mapping DSG cars was different to others, one which necessitated a DSG map.

Agree that things should have been more transparent from the off but I would be surprised if this map doesnt find itself on SHARKs product list soon.

Will have to see how the car behaves day to day but so far so good.
Would like to get some logging done too, just for piece of mind that all is well with CFs, boost etc..

cheers
Paul

Hi Andy

An email was sent to you today at 15:07 to your AOL account.

Emails were not replied to on Saturday as Rob who looks after the main incoming email had the day off.

Telephones are always on and answered between 09:00-17:30 Mon-Fri and 09:00-14:00 Saturday.

Hi guys. I called Mikko a little while ago and he has assured me Shark will do everything needed to sort any issues anyone has. If anyone has any issues please get in touch with them directly or feel free to pm me and I will help where I can too.

I hope this explains things a little better.

Thanks

Rob

This was Mikkos email / response / explanation.

The problem is the torque limitation inside the DSG control unit. When the ECU calculates that its torque output is 370Nm, the DSG gearbox sends a torque reduction request to the ECU.

There are two ways to get around this problem. One is to scale down the torque value ECU is showing, other is to remap the DSG controller as well.

Reprogramming the DSG has other added benefits as well. The force upshift rpm is set to 6700rpm (where DSG will upshift even when you're in manual mode), this cannot be bypassed without a DSG remap. Also our DSG remap has slightly altered shiftpoints when car is in D, so the car wont try to be in 6th gear at 30mph and 1300rpms.

Other tuners have used this scaling method for a while. Its not ideal, since the DSG wont see the correct torque value but a downscaled one, and can sometimes use less clutch clamping pressure than it should.
When we developed the S3 remap for S-tronic, we and the first customers thought the gains are good and clearly noticeable, but lately we've heard that our customers have been underwhelmed by the gains. Due to this feedback, we have now added this "patch" to our S3 S-tronic engine software. If I can have your cars registration number, I'll send you the revised software for your STS unit.

We're constantly working to improve our products, and customer feedback is highly important to us. I hope you accept my apologies for any inconvinience caused.

Regards,

Mikko Tuomi

Reactions: RedDejavu

Hi

I've checked all our email inboxes just now, and have found your email in the sales@ mailbox. It has now been forwarded to Mikko who will be dealing with it immediately for you, and Rob will contact you about the hardware side of your email tomorrow. As I mentioned in a previous post, Rob was off on Saturday (and Friday) and he looks after that mailbox, so the delay is only down to that.

Ben,

I do like the DSG map with only one very very small caveat, 30 mph = 5th = good, 6th is silly at 30 mph
40 mph = 6th = ok, unless you drop to 34, 35 where it can just reach that change down point and then instantly change up when you get back to 40 mph. LOL. Oh the ****** joys of the Nottingham ring road ***! I tell you someat though, torque is unreal. Sod the BHP and top end, I am absolutely loving the torque rush from the car now. Awesome. I have a pretty damn impressive 0 to 40 I can tell ya! :)
DSG map I have found to be overall good, but again I do appreciate those of you who do not want it. TBH, nor did I but I found it hard to resist!
The changes to manual mode with the DSG map are very nice indeed. No forced up shift at all and although I won't, I could bounce it off the rev limiter if I wanted to, 7300 rpm isn't it? No kick down in manual so foot to the floor and enjoy the rush!
Its all good at the moment so long may that continue.

Last edited:
Great to see these issues being sorted. I'll echo what Rob said and if anybody has any issues with any Shark map then please feel free to PM me, whether you are our customer or not we are always here to advise.

If you guys think the stage 1 is fast you should feel the stage 3....... :)

Hi Andy

An email was sent to you today at 15:07 to your AOL account.

Emails were not replied to on Saturday as Rob who looks after the main incoming email had the day off.

Telephones are always on and answered between 09:00-17:30 Mon-Fri and 09:00-14:00 Saturday.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I've checked my account and I don't have any emails from Shark whatsoever unfortunately? It is andywaddy@aol.com you've sent it to right?

Thanks,

Andy

Made me laugh out load.

Happy for you Paul that everything is sorted now. good luck and enjoy the ride untill you start looking after stage 2 :D

Happy for you Paul that everything is sorted now. good luck and enjoy the ride untill you start looking after stage 2 :D

Great result :)

And hopefully a solution Shark can now share as an option with other purchasers in future ...

Martin

if I were to skip stage 2. it's either 1 or 3.

gains are small in stage 2.

if I were to skip stage 2. it's either 1 or 3.

gains are small in stage 2.

Are you on s-tronic with shark stage 2? If yes you will have minimal gains otherwise you get extra -40-50 bhp so it will be noticeable as going from stock to stage 1 only difference is 2.5x more expensive:p

Are you on s-tronic with shark stage 2? If yes you will have minimal gains otherwise you get extra -40-50 bhp so it will be noticeable as going from stock to stage 1 only difference is 2.5x more expensive:p

Indeed i am. I assume everyone has s-Tronic due to it being so much better :)

you should get the new software update for s-tronic cars so there is no torque limitation and the car will fly believe me:].

well my current list of things to buy is...HPFP, engine mounts then dsg and stage 3 maps. best part of £600.

trouble is I have to eat? :(

Reactions: Kelza
you should get the new software update for s-tronic cars so there is no torque limitation and the car will fly believe me:].

Are you referring to the update Shark are releasing at the minute Red? Or something I do not know about... :uhm:

I can only think he is referring to the Shark update as a standard S3 doesn't get close to the torque limit and I don't think Audi would release an update to cater for remapped cars.
The updated map doesn't remove the torque limit. It just recalculates it as in the explanation above.

Andy, have you had a longer run out in your one yet?

Rob

I can only think he is referring to the Shark update as a standard S3 doesn't get close to the torque limit and I don't think Audi would release an update to cater for remapped cars.
The updated map doesn't remove the torque limit. It just recalculates it as in the explanation above.

Andy, have you had a longer run out in your one yet?

Rob

Managed a couple of blasts in it last night coming home from work and going to the fiancés. All I can say is WOW - finally the potential has been released! It's a totally different car and just seems to be so much more alert. It got brimmed with V-Power and is getting faster every time it's driven (I assume that's the ECU 'learning' the map again?). The big thing I was missing since I bought it back in December was that 'kick' you get throwing you back in the seat when you hit the gas pedal...but I can safely say that box now has a BIG tick in it! I've never not enjoyed the car since day one and it was certainly no slouch from the off but now it seems to have been given a new lease of life and I'm disappointed every time I have to step out of those buckets! :( I'm on for an oil and filter change this Friday and a RR day at Awesome this Saturday so I'll be sure to post the findings!

The only issue I am having that I noticed this morning is that the tailpipes are sooting up worse than ever - any ideas what this could be and how to correct it?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say thanks for all at Shark (especially Rob from W8 Performance and Mikko) for the quick no-hassle response to the issues highlighted in this thread and getting the revised map out to me in double quick time. I can't recommended Rob highly enough as he has always proved to be thoroughly helpful where he can and won't rest until you're happy....so many thanks Rob! I'm sure it won't be the last time I'll be dealing with you :) Stage 2+ next!

Edit: I'd also like to thank 'PaulAr' for keeping me in the loop on his progress throughout the whole process and helping me get sorted. There's some great members on ASN and he's one of them :)

Last edited:
I uploaded my newly revised Stage 2 DSG map yesterday and within seconds I realised that the car was a different animal altogether than before, lol. What a massive difference, it has completely lost the lagginess on gear changes, it is no longer hesitant about moving up or down as it was before and it is pulling much, much harder than on the previous map. One other observation I've noted, but this may be temporary as I only washed the car the other day, but after driving out yesterday there is no sign of any further carbon deposits speckled over the bum of my S3, though I realise this may change (looking at Andy's post above). I did check my AFR on the Liquid Gauge yesterday and it was spot on, sitting at 14.7 (Lambda 0.998), so I was mightily chuffed at that too. Massive massive thanks to all at Shark Performance, especially Mikko, who was on the job of sorting things out straight away. I will be doing some 3rd gear logs for Mikko over the weekend, so he can look over them and if he deems necessary 'tweak' the map some more. I am considering having the DSG TCU remapped with a tuner slightly more local to me (GIAC DSG software from Star Performance), so I can make the most of the engine ECU mapping, but I will be sticking with Shark for my Stage 2+ (Shark Stage 3) when I get my new APR HPFP and RS4 fuel return valve fitted. Shark FTW! :wub: xx

I uploaded my newly revised Stage 2 DSG map yesterday and within seconds I realised that the car was a different animal altogether than before, lol. What a massive difference, it has completely lost the lagginess on gear changes, it is no longer hesitant about moving up or down as it was before and it is pulling much, much harder than on the previous map. One other observation I've noted, but this may be temporary as I only washed the car the other day, but after driving out yesterday there is no sign of any further carbon deposits speckled over the bum of my S3, though I realise this may change (looking at Andy's post above). I did check my AFR on the Liquid Gauge yesterday and it was spot on, sitting at 14.7 (Lambda 0.998), so I was mightily chuffed at that too. Massive massive thanks to all at Shark Performance, especially Mikko, who was on the job of sorting things out straight away. I will be doing some 3rd gear logs for Mikko over the weekend, so he can look over them and if he deems necessary 'tweak' the map some more. I am considering having the DSG TCU remapped with a tuner slightly more local to me (GIAC DSG software from Star Performance), so I can make the most of the engine ECU mapping, but I will be sticking with Shark for my Stage 2+ (Shark Stage 3) when I get my new APR HPFP and RS4 fuel return valve fitted. Shark FTW! :wub: xx

Glad to hear the revised map has made another happy customer! Customer satisfaction is a strong point of theirs...especially the after sales care.

Could I be cheeky and ask you to keep me informed of what comes from (if anything) the logging that you're doing for Mikko please? I'm interested in any further map tweaks obviously!

And in regards to the tailpipes sooting up...I've got to say that I only really noticed it late last night. I honestly cannot say whether it was THAT bad pre-revised map. I'll have to clean them up and just keep an eye on them over the week.

Paullie - what will the benefits be of having your DSG TCU mapped apart from the shift points being changed? Just curious.

They're definitely not "Hot" on the email front.

I eventually had a reply, and I replied, but nothing back for over a day now. You'd think someone would be sitting there answering enquires at least perhaps once a day!? Perhaps it was someone's day off again.....