My S4 tidy-up

Garth_S3

Reaction score
A couple of members have asked me for details on my S4, so i thought I'd put it here for reference. I know this is a link to another forum, which is no doubt frowned upon, but I saw no reason to duplicate my build thread. I'll simply leave a link to my thread and drop the odd update here for any one that is interested.

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=956818

Cracking work Garth. Love what you done with the leather trim!

Great job and some really nice touches. Where did you get the little 'Quattro' badges from?

Thanks guys.
Greeny, eBay item number 181733187482

Reactions: Greeny233
Great work there!

My alarm sounder is exactly the same as yours was. How did you fix and where did you get those batteries from? Cheers!

Thanks. The batteries are on eBay, item number 260439600386.

My siren wasn't too badly damaged. I was lucky enough that the circuit board still had all the tracks on. I had to sand down the connecting pins to remove the corrosion, then a little alcohol and a bit of tissue to clean up residue. I removed the old battery holder and solders some wire to connect the new batteries together. There was just enough room to squeeze them in where the old ones were and then I glued the casing back together with some epoxy.

Reactions: Chrismawa
Thanks. The batteries are on eBay, item number 260439600386.

My siren wasn't too badly damaged. I was lucky enough that the circuit board still had all the tracks on. I had to sand down the connecting pins to remove the corrosion, then a little alcohol and a bit of tissue to clean up residue. I removed the old battery holder and solders some wire to connect the new batteries together. There was just enough room to squeeze them in where the old ones were and then I glued the casing back together with some epoxy.

Thanks for that. Ill have to get this done to mine as I miss my alarm chirp!

Garth! I read your nearly 70 page restore thread on the TT over three sittings yesterday and today, epic effort and log dude, kudos to you!
I think the documenting of it with a hearty dose of pics makes for a brilliant read. Wishing you all the best for the future,

Reactions: DrStrange
Thank you.
The TT was great fun and I wish I didn't have to sell it. I put so much work in to getting it just right. I'm hoping to keep the S4 a lot longer so I'll be able to get it perfect... Eventually!

Just had a read of your thread on the ttforum, cars coming along well with some lovely touches

Just read the whole tt thread aswell, WOW what a car you made, well done mate, attention to detail is the best I've seen mate, looking forward to the s4 build. Good luck, I'll be watching this one closely.

Thanks guys.

I've just added a few updates to my S4 thread including:
Colour coded door blades
New washer jets
Interior trim wrap
Plus this steering wheel that I re trimmed in genuine alcantara:

F65C0C02-F83A-4CC8-AA50-461CBC133CB9_zpsttkz2jku.jpg

5BDEB96F-1B5A-4213-8D54-43346DFEAB65_zpsecermjoe.jpg

I have no idea what to do with this, so might sell it if anyone is interested?

As you are pretty much an expert with the above, I would sell anything you dont need. Im sure you'd make a killing.

Fantastic attention to detail.

That is one interesting read, so before I go searching are you offering a re- trimming service yet? I would be very interested in having a couple of pieces done.

Reactions: DrStrange
I would second MattyBoyC's comment. I think you should offer your services if you ever had the time.

You would have 2 customers before youve even decided! :playful:

Reactions: mattyboyc
Just read the S4 thread on TTForum. Really enjoyed reading, and some amazing DIY interior & upholstery, well done that man!

Keep up the great work.

I know what you mean about the brakes too; Recently fitted brand new B8 S4 black fronts to mine and bored of their "blend in-ability" already :smirk:

great lunch time read mate, and top marks for what you've achieved so far. Finish looks top drawer on everything, definitly a thread to watch. Will have to hunt out the TT build thread now.

Great Work fella

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I will do the odd bit of trimming, so if there are any bits and pieces you need, let me know. I already have templates made for the handbrake handle, gear knob and gaitor plus the S4 steering wheel. These are all things that could be done pretty quickly. Anything else, I'd need to make templates for and would take slightly longer.

I don't have time to do full retrims yet, though when I do my S4 seats will be getting done first.
Feel free to pm me any requests and I'll let you know if/when I could do it with prices.

b_fur, the TT was MUCH more in depth than the S4... I spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy (not to mention cash) on it. Wish I could have kept it too

Reactions: mattyboyc and DrStrange
I've just read through your thread - a lot of excellent work gone in to that and its looking great!

Do you know if the HU that you bought will fit a none bose equipped A4? I need to get a pair of those washer jets.

Damn, she is one purdy car. I'd love an s4 myself as a weekend and short trip car, but there isn't a hope that I'll get insured to drive one in at least the next 5, if not 10, years due to my age. I just hope there are a few good ones left by the time I go for one.

Damn, she is one purdy car. I'd love an s4 myself as a weekend and short trip car, but there isn't a hope that I'll get insured to drive one in at least the next 5, if not 10, years due to my age. I just hope there are a few good ones left by the time I go for one.

It's not a 'short trip' car; quite the opposite.

At least by then all the good ones left will have had the timing service done.

Thanks for the positive comments all and sorry for the lack of updates or replies. Let me explain why this is...

For a while we've been concerned about my son's development as he wasn't talking or engaging the way that a normal 3 year old should and recently I got the heart breaking confirmation of my fears when Ben was diagnosed with autism and learning difficulties.

Instead of posting on forums or researching mods, my wife and I have spent most of our time researching the best therapies for autistic children as the NHS offers literally nothing :-(

All of this research points to the fact that the only real option for Ben is ABA (Applied Behavioural Analysis), which is the standard in countries like the USA. Sadly, to get this therapy for Ben, the cost is so far outside of our reach (around £32,000 a year!) that we are starting to try to fund raise to pay for it.

So on to my shameless plug, normally I would never accept charity, but for my son I will gladly put away my pride and ask for help. So if any of you would like to help out, the link to our funding page is below.

Obviously I cannot justify spending money on cars whilst I am saving for Ben's therapy so if anyone wants me to help them out on their cars in exchange for donations, then I'll happily do whatever I can :)

Thank you all for reading this far!

http://gogetfunding.com/aba-for-ben/

Come on folks getting donating, sorry i cant donate more Garth but" from little acorns" as they say , good luck mate i hope the therapy improves everything for the little fella.

Reactions: Sandra
You sir are a true gent. Thank you so much. I honesty wasnt expecting anything so quickly and my wife just shed a tear when she read this

I think this should be a sticky , maybe start a new thread and then ask admin to make it sticky so everyone sees it properly?

Just a thought,you have been a member here for 10 years so surely that's worth something! , good luck mate.

Reactions: Sandra
@Garth_S3 Garth I am really sorry to hear about Ben. It's shocking you can't get the much need help and support for Ben. I don't see any reason why we cant make this thread a sticky so I will do so now. I wish you and your family all the best. If you want to start a new thread just do so and I will stick it x

Thank you so much Sandra, we really appreciate it :)

Have added a little to Ben's fund,as a dad of two little ones my heart goes out to you mate.
Wishing Ben all the best for his bright future!

Just one thing when donating through PayPal it comes up a little cake shop is this right?

Thank you so much.
Yes, the PayPal account is my wife's for her business:
Www.thelittlecakeboutique.co.uk

It's a very small, run from home cake business and all proceeds from this and the fund raising are going in to Ben's fund. PayPal won't let you have more than one personal or business account, so it made sense to use her existing account to keep all Ben's money in one place.

I will add some to the cost of the trimming you are doing for me if that's ok with you.
All the best,
Matt

I sold the S4 tonight to save money on fuel and insurance. Every little saved goes into bens fund, so I can't complain to much. Picking up a diesel passat tomorrow :-(

The RS6 wheels are still for sale though ;-) wheels and tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2) are as new since they've only done a few hundred miles!
£800 with tyres, £350 without. I paid well over a grand for them :-(

Loads of respect for doing everything you possibly can for Ben, mate