My S4 thread

I've now received another request to take part in a survey about my recent experiences when using my local Audi dealership! Is no one reading the ones I've completed so far, time to take the alternative route and send an email back instead, which is one of the listed options!

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and V6_Man
I've now received another request to take part in a survey about my recent experiences when using my local Audi dealership! Is no one reading the ones I've completed so far, time to take the alternative route and send an email back instead, which is one of the listed options!

Maybe they really like you a lot @rum4mo . I too have received two letter in the post and a phone call this morning about DSG Service which was done 2.5k miles ago and is already on the system. There is definitely something wrong somewhere with these stealerships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one seems to read them. Perhaps we need to test this with something like "the service advisor slapped my wife". :D

Reactions: elpeterol, Bristle Hound and Dippy
5 year service carried out today at my local trusted indie. Service, MOT, brake fluid and air conditioning service. £347 all in rather than the £435 Audi wanted. Diagnostic scan was all clear.

Aircon was low apparently so was worth doing. I'd got it done this year as it didn't seem to be working quite as well as in the past. I'd ignored it until it seemed to need attention.

Not really doing many miles at the moment due to train to work but still enjoying the weekend runs.

Oh and coolant level is half way between min and max so has moved a little but at a glacial rate. I'm not sure what the deal is with S4s and coolant but they do seem to use a little bit. Very odd.

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound, Keef and 1 other person
5 year service carried out today at my local trusted indie. Service, MOT, brake fluid and air conditioning service. £347 all in rather than the £435 Audi wanted. Diagnostic scan was all clear.

Aircon was low apparently so was worth doing. I'd got it done this year as it didn't seem to be working quite as well as in the past. I'd ignored it until it seemed to need attention.

Not really doing many miles at the moment due to train to work but still enjoying the weekend runs.

Oh and coolant level is half way between min and max so has moved a little but at a glacial rate. I'm not sure what the deal is with S4s and coolant but they do seem to use a little bit. Very odd.

Glad to hear it is running trouble free mate. What service did they do? Was it full service or interim and if full, what did they change.

RE: the aircon it looks like an aging thing. Mine needed pressure sensor replacing and a re-gas which seemed to have done the trick. Although I must admit it did initially struggle a little bit on Saturday with the cooling but was fine after a couple of mins.

Like yourself I don't do use the S4 as a daily but make up for the "missed" miles over the weekend. It is 210 miles per weekend trip to Slough with kids that is helping me keeping up with my mileage, which is currently sat at 34k.

Interim service @Tashfeen so just oil really. Audi mistakenly did a full service, spark plugs, the lot at 2 years old so not much needs doing. S-Tronic oil I did last year at 4 years.

Reactions: V6_Man
It is 210 miles per weekend trip to Slough with kids that is helping me keeping up with my mileage, which is currently sat at 34k.

Going to Slough is bad. Travelling with kids is bad. But doing both together? It's not worth it - tell the judge you'll take the custodial sentence after all.

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR, V6_Man, NevMan and 1 other person
Glad to hear it is running trouble free mate. What service did they do? Was it full service or interim and if full, what did they change.

RE: the aircon it looks like an aging thing. Mine needed pressure sensor replacing and a re-gas which seemed to have done the trick. Although I must admit it did initially struggle a little bit on Saturday with the cooling but was fine after a couple of mins.

Like yourself I don't do use the S4 as a daily but make up for the "missed" miles over the weekend. It is 210 miles per weekend trip to Slough with kids that is helping me keeping up with my mileage, which is currently sat at 34k.
I'm now thinking maybe I should add the aircon to my upcoming fourth anniversary service. It was done at year two, so it'd be consistent.

I'm now thinking maybe I should add the aircon to my upcoming fourth anniversary service. It was done at year two, so it'd be consistent.
Jeff I waited until it didn't seem to be working efficiently anymore before doing this. I believe the book says it's due at 2 years old and every 2 years after that. However I'd rather not give Audi more money than necessary and they never mentioned it. Cost 35+VAT for the air con bit of the service.

Reactions: V6_Man and NevMan
Going to Slough is bad. Travelling with kids is bad. But doing both together? It's not worth it - tell the judge you'll take the custodial sentence after all.

PMSL @Dippy.

Reactions: NevMan

I never felt the need to do it on my B5 that I had for nearly 7 years or the B7s and therefore I never bothered with it on the S4. I was really impressed with my B5 as it would freeze us to death ( a bit of an exaggeration I know). I am definitely going to add this to my 2 yearly service now.

Last edited:
I eventually decided to get my B5 S4 aircon serviced just because it was so old and never had been done (it might have been close to 10 years). After the service I noticed absolutely no difference except that my bank balance was lower. I'll leave my S5 aircon alone until it shows signs that it needs attention.

Reactions: NevMan, scotty76 and V6_Man
I eventually decided to get my B5 S4 aircon serviced just because it was so old and never had been done (it might have been close to 10 years). After the service I noticed absolutely no difference except that my bank balance was lower. I'll leave my S5 aircon alone until it shows signs that it needs attention.
Yep and that was pretty much my approach.

Reactions: NevMan
Yep and that was pretty much my approach.
I can see the logic of not troubling trouble til trouble troubles you. On the other hand, with most other aspects of the car, many of us here tend to over-service as a preventive and/or risk reduction measure. I lean towards doing the same with the aircon.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76, V6_Man and 1 other person
I can see the logic of not troubling trouble til trouble troubles you. On the other hand, with most other aspects of the car, many of us here tend to over-service as a preventive and/or risk reduction measure. I lean towards doing the same with the aircon.

Spot on Jeff! Great minds think alike

We're of like mind Jeff, however for me it totally depends on what the service involves. Where there are consumables which have progressive degeneration such as oil, filters and tyres it can be argued that early replacement is beneficial to continued reliability and performance. For other components the argument is a bit more difficult. For example spark plugs and brake pads. Early replacement of the former is easier to justify than the latter in terms of those benefits. This then leads to the question of risks associated with the act of servicing (an ideal example of which is my attitude to having the CREC recall work done). I'd guess that a search of the forums on this site would quickly find posts along the lines of "I took my car for a service and this happened..." Even a good tech might open up or dismantle something and find that something unexpectedly breaks due to the act.

So what exactly does an aircon service involve?. I understand that they can be re-gassed, but based on the experience from my B5, I am unconvinced that this is really necessary whilst it is working correctly. But what else is actually done? I have friends and neighbours who pay for an annual service of their house alarm system. I installed my own system and I know exactly what is serviceable and know that all they are paying for is a piece of paper. I doubt that the discount on their insurance covers the cost.

We're of like mind Jeff, however for me it totally depends on what the service involves. Where there are consumables which have progressive degeneration such as oil, filters and tyres it can be argued that early replacement is beneficial to continued reliability and performance. For other components the argument is a bit more difficult. For example spark plugs and brake pads. Early replacement of the former is easier to justify than the latter in terms of those benefits. This then leads to the question of risks associated with the act of servicing (an ideal example of which is my attitude to having the CREC recall work done). I'd guess that a search of the forums on this site would quickly find posts along the lines of "I took my car for a service and this happened..." Even a good tech might open up or dismantle something and find that something unexpectedly breaks due to the act.

So what exactly does an aircon service involve?. I understand that they can be re-gassed, but based on the experience from my B5, I am unconvinced that this is really necessary whilst it is working correctly. But what else is actually done? I have friends and neighbours who pay for an annual service of their house alarm system. I installed my own system and I know exactly what is serviceable and know that all they are paying for is a piece of paper. I doubt that the discount on their insurance covers the cost.

Makes sense mate and I have been a victim of being overly cautious and getting my B7 screwed up by the Indie that I have used in the past. So, I agree with you on that. I'll try to keep it simple!

I think your own test applies here @Dippy. Roughly 10% of the refrigerent is lost every year naturally, plus there's always scope for that to be increased through leaks. If too much is lost, the system will struggle to maintain cabin temperatures in summer and demist effectively in winter. It also adds strain to the compressor because the refrigerant is used to cool it. If the refrigerant levels gets too low, the compressor could overheat and maybe fail, or
maybe shut down in self-protection.

£50 every two years to reduce the risk of that happening; works for me.

I think that things would have to become dire before the lack of refrigerant would cause the compressor to get damaged. These donkeys get turned by the auxiliary belt so don’t self generate much heat, unlike large fridge systems where the compact motor relies on system gas/liquid keeping it from going into meltdown.
Opportunistic or commercially aware workshops will play on selling that service at more than twice the periodicity
that it really needs, remember degassing/loading fridge systems does also lose/waste gas, no one can deny that.
Be vigilant and take time to address any/all observed drops in performance and that should see you okay, I have yet to add any gas into my February 2011 S4’s AC system, but I check it yearly for performance. My daughter’s late 2009 Ibiza required topping up, but only after a leaking pressure sensor had caused it to lose gas last year.

I think that things would have to become dire before the lack of refrigerant would cause the compressor to get damaged. These donkeys get turned by the auxiliary belt so don’t self generate much heat, unlike large fridge systems where the compact motor relies on system gas/liquid keeping it from going into meltdown.
Opportunistic or commercially aware workshops will play on selling that service at more than twice the periodicity
that it really needs, remember degassing/loading fridge systems does also lose/waste gas, no one can deny that.
Be vigilant and take time to address any/all observed drops in performance and that should see you okay, I have yet to add any gas into my February 2011 S4’s AC system, but I check it yearly for performance. My daughter’s late 2009 Ibiza required topping up, but only after a leaking pressure sensor had caused it to lose gas last year.
@rum4mo , if I could rely on a self-check, I would. But the risk of unintended consequences that @Dippy refers to is far greater if I try to tinker than it is if I leave it to a professional. :)

It is fact that all these mobile AC systems do lose some charge over time, the problem is that the chemistry of the fridge gas and the chemistry of the sealing materials and flexible pipes is not 100% compatible, so the gas sees these materials as being every so slightly porous - but they are the best that anyone can be bothered designing. The really "brilliant" thing about mobile AC system fixers and the law is, (by mobile AC system fixers I mean car or truck based systems, not AC fixers that work out of vans), that they are not losing the fridge gas, it is the user that is doing that, so these fixers can never be vetted for gas loss - they are very lucky, owners or large fixed/static fridge systems need to account for all gas they "use" which is okay as long as there is an acceptable level of expected losses, ie gas bought in and gas returned for recycling/disposal as it should stop cowboys running large leaking systems and keeping them running by buying in large weights of gases.

Who knew aircon was so contentious. :)

In other news I found this on the front bumper which polished out with Autofinesse Tripple.

IMG 20190604 105345696 2268x3024

The car really needs a light machine polish all over. The roof has some marks and the bonnet has some bird poo etching. Removed it as soon as I saw it so I have no idea what they've been eating.

Reactions: NevMan, V6_Man, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
@scotty76 how’s the coating holding up??
3 years old I'd say it's done, and done its job. I'm totally fine with that. The wear and tear the car picks up means I don't want a 5 year plus coating. It needs a light polish to fix the blemishes. What I hope is that the coating takes most of the abuse rather than the clear coat.

Was talking to Nick about cheap and cheerful and the current thinking is Gyeon Cancoat. He says it's their current pick as it's easy to apply and beads like crazy.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, V6_Man and Keef
3 years old I'd say it's done, and done its job. I'm totally fine with that. The wear and tear the car picks up means I don't want a 5 year plus coating. It needs a light polish to fix the blemishes. What I hope is that the coating takes most of the abuse rather than the clear coat.

Was talking to Nick about cheap and cheerful and the current thinking is Gyeon Cancoat. He says it's their current pick as it's easy to apply and beads like crazy.

My personal view on coatings is that they are good for 2 years and anything on top is a bonus. Whilst my car is fine I can see swirls on the rear bumper and a little bit appearing on the boot and that is despite me being extra extra careful with my washing around the lower areas of the car.

The slickness is still there along with depth and gloss (difficult to tell on a white car but ...) however, I am not overly impressed with the cleaning side of it. It is not as easy to clean as my A3, which has not been protected.

I have not used any bug remover or use wheel cleaner on the alloys on every wash, everything just washed away with a pressure wash. On the S4 I have to use the dedicated cleaners on pretty much every other wash. Now what I am not sure is if it is because we applied CQuartz Finest Reserve first which was then removed and we applied Gyeon Q2 but cleaning is not as easy as I was expecting it to be.

I have spoken with Nick quite a few times and he thinks it is because of BH Surfex HD & Snowfoam combo that I use. He also believes they are a bit harsh for the coating and might as well have demaged it a little bit? It will be 1 year in September since we applied Q2, going to be booking it in for Nick to find out how the coating is. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and scotty76
@Tashfeen never had issues with the original Cquartz Finest once I got past the initial few weeks and the risk of water spotting. Very odd. Wife's Golf has Gyeon on it which was much the same. I wonder if the two coatings on your car didn't get on.

Been out today and now have six bird poo etch marks. Very cross. So jobs for the week, machine polish the bonnet and protect. I don't have time to do the whole car and I'm working outside which isn't ideal.

@Tashfeen never had issues with the original Cquartz Finest once I got past the initial few weeks and the risk of water spotting. Very odd. Wife's Golf has Gyeon on it which was much the same. I wonder if the two coatings on your car didn't get on.

Very likely. I am also inclined to think that this is the case.

Don't get me wrong, whilst the cleaning might not be as I would have liked it to be what I do like is that the car doesn't get that much dirty. The rain kind of cleans it all. In the below pictures, the car has not been washed for the last 7 weeks, driven nearly 1200 miles all of them in the crap weather including the brief 'summer spell' we had however, its still not bad.

4f5eca7578f9256b2db4b96ce4c28db1.jpg

11ae80aebd619f16e8e1bc4917dddd0f.jpg

52cc8966d26a377ba6fd874ec70fdddf.jpg

31beb084a0e1a410315486fea3f0d978.jpg

Let's see what Nick says.

Reactions: scotty76
Very likely. I am also inclined to think that this is the case.

Don't get me wrong, whilst the cleaning might not be as I would have liked it to be what I do like is that the car doesn't get that much dirty. The rain kind of cleans it all. In the below pictures, the car has not been washed for the last 7 weeks, driven nearly 1200 miles all of them in the **** weather including the brief 'summer spell' we had however, its still not bad.

4f5eca7578f9256b2db4b96ce4c28db1.jpg

11ae80aebd619f16e8e1bc4917dddd0f.jpg

52cc8966d26a377ba6fd874ec70fdddf.jpg

31beb084a0e1a410315486fea3f0d978.jpg

Let's see what Nick says.
@Tashfeen - ^ filthy ! :help::sos:

Reactions: NevMan and V6_Man
My GTech coating is 4 years old and the Williams ceramic coat on my wife's Qashqai just 1 year old. During wash I can tell very little difference between them so I'm not inclined to return to my detailer yet. To be fair my car only does just over 4K a year and is garaged so I guess that helps a lot.

My GTech coating is 4 years old and the Williams ceramic coat on my wife's Qashqai just 1 year old. During wash I can tell very little difference between them so I'm not inclined to return to my detailer yet. To be fair my car only does just over 4K a year and is garaged so I guess that helps a lot.

I have heard this from a lot of S5 owners, they don't drive their cars that much. I am sure if you'd bought an :s4addict: you'd have driven it a lot more as it is a fun car to drive. Wish I could say the same about S5 :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962

I have recently applied Gyeon Q2 Pure, and as a complete amateur, can honestly say this one (thick) coat application is very easy to apply.

18months is quoted- but let’s see, only a couple weeks in so far.

Apologies for the Non Audi content below

Water is beading and Sheeting off like mad:

cb1b42f1ca96499d78b5b95b224abde3.jpg

0cca056e06726a332876d5b8fce0704a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76 and Bristle Hound
I know the B7 A4 had an issue with the drain holes blocking which could lead to water getting into the car. Noticed a few leaves hiding under the scuttle panel (think that's the correct term) so thought I'd take a look. Was a lot worse than I was expecting so maybe check your cars. I used my trusty Karcher vac to suck them up!

Remove the big black screw and the panel just lifts up.

IMG 20190615 130249487 900x1200

Before...
IMG 20190615 130605399 900x1200

After...

IMG 20190615 131138447 900x1200

Reactions: audiwaterpump, Bristle Hound, rabhrab and 3 others
I know the B7 A4 had an issue with the drain holes blocking which could lead to water getting into the car. Noticed a few leaves hiding under the scuttle panel (think that's the correct term) so thought I'd take a look. Was a lot worse than I was expecting so maybe check your cars. I used my trusty Karcher vac to suck them up!

Remove the big black screw and the panel just lifts up.

View attachment 184722

Before...
View attachment 184723

After...

View attachment 184724
@scotty76 - Job well done mate
If I remember rightly from previous pic's, you park under or near to a tree don't you?
Cheers for the heads up. Will be checking under the scuttle on the Avant in the not to distant future

@scotty76 - Job well done mate
If I remember rightly from previous pic's, you park under or near to a tree don't you?
Cheers for the heads up. Will be checking under the scuttle on the Avant in the not to distant future
Yeah I park next to a tree and the car lives outside at all times so is exposed to the elements. Fortunately the tree is evergreen so these are blown leaves from other nearby trees.

Reactions: Bristle Hound