My S4 thread

scotty76

Reaction score
This is my attempt to gather together all the threads I have related to my car so far and to update it as an ongoing record (when I remember - I forget a lot/am busy/have kids/things happen).

So why an S4? I can't afford an RS4 and I've already had a remapped 2.0 TFSI albeit in B7 guise. I need to lug kids and their kit. I don't think there are many things that tick the boxes the S4 does. I don't mind putting petrol in but really 15mpg is not for me. I don't want a BMW, they are RWD and I don't like the interior. And should I want it there are many tuning options for the S4. I won't be looking at these in warranty but I like the option.

Pre-purchase mullings
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...4-wtf-do-some-people-do-to-their-cars.212552/

The painful wait, with fellow ASN members:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-s4-build-wait-thread.214174/

1000 mile review
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-1000-mile-mini-review.226733/

Coolant loss (maybe)
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/coolant-loss.229588/

Annoying boot panel
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/panel-in-boot-keeps-popping-open.239509/

Other stuff.
Current average fuel consumption: 23.2mpg (official figures total fantasy, 31mpg was my best ever)
Fuel: Shell Fuel Save (95 RON)
Car coating: CQuartz Finest
Wheels: CarPro DLUX

Reactions: kanecullen89, Bristle Hound, ERBY and 3 others
Even if you could afford an RS4 would you swap now? I wouldn't

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant and scotty76
No. I don't think they are worth the money. Might be wrong but I'll never know. :)

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant and TahirS
Have you noticed that this section of the forum seems to have gone S4 crazy lately!? :jump:
Soo many posts bout S4's:thumbs up:

Reactions: Ticarr, Klickflip and scotty76
Yeah it's great to see all the new S4 owners. Perhaps I should have started an S4 owners thread instead.

Reactions: elpeterol
Might be a good idea. Just out of interest which tyres do you have and how are they wearing? I've got conti 3s and I'm not impressed, after 8000 miles down to just under 5mm front and just over on the rear, they are now starting to get quite noisy too. No I don't drive very hard!
Next tyres Goodyear asymmetric 2 I reckon.

Might be a good idea. Just out of interest which tyres do you have and how are they wearing? I've got conti 3s and I'm not impressed, after 8000 miles down to just under 5mm front and just over on the rear, they are now starting to get quite noisy too. No I don't drive very hard!
Next tyres Goodyear asymmetric 2 I reckon.

Thank god you said that. I'm on 3.5mm front after 11000miles, I thought I was doing something wrong! I have Conti Sport Contact 5. Not sure what to go for next, Ihave very little tyre experience to be honest. I hear Vresden's(sp?) are excellent for grip and terrible for wear.

I'm also at the point of looking for new tires for my S4 Avant. It's got conti sport contact 3s and the wear has been average.

I'll be getting Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's on next. Heard fantastic things about them and wear was not a downside. The only negative I've heard is they are not great for fuel due to higher rolling resistance, but I can live with that...fuel consumption wasn't at the top of my list when I bought my S4 and I only do 5k per year max.

£114 per tire for 19's online too ;-)

Just swapped out my second set of conti 3s for Goodyear assymetrics, hopefully these will wear a bit slower than the contis.
So far they feel great, cost wise they were £610 for 4 fitted.

Reactions: TahirS
Vredesteins are. Usually around £200-£230 a corner, but I'll be getting my from tireleader and fitted by my local tire fitter.....much cheaper as I'll need all 4 doing and don't want to have to remortgage the house or sell the kids.

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant, TahirS and longp2
Never mind...

A new car tyre begins life with approximately 8mm of tread. The minimum legal tread depth is 1.6mm, however most motoring organisations recommend changing at 2mm and the majority of tyre manufacturers recommend changing at 3mm.

So 3300 miles used 2mm of tread so say further 4mm before swapping would suggest a probable life of 9900 miles for the fronts.

1mm used on the rears would give 19800 miles for the rears (I doubt that somehow).

I'll be getting Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's on next. Heard fantastic things about them and wear was not a downside. The only negative I've heard is they are not great for fuel due to higher rolling resistance, but I can live with that...fuel consumption wasn't at the top of my list when I bought my S4 and I only do 5k per year max.

£114 per tire for 19's online too ;-)

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to say the wear was bad, I meant the fuel economy. But that's irrelevant.

Reactions: scotty76
Tyre wear generally slows down a bit but I reckon about 12000 absolute max on mine.

I get 27mpg on my stage 2 car on vpower. Can't comment on a std car I bought it mapped.

Reactions: TahirS and scotty76
I get 27mpg on my stage 2 car on vpower. Can't comment on a std car I bought it mapped.
Thanks for sharing. I use mine for commuting so never get great economy. I know from my Dad taxi duties that town driving hammers the economy. My best ever mpg was based on a 220 mile motorway run at steady speed. So I still think there's fantasy in the official figures but I don't think that's news. :)

Good to know a stage 2 sounds no worse. Thanks again!

I agree about the factory mpg. I'd suggest running it on better fuel all the same.

Oh yeah, grab a dipstick (£7). That daft mmi oil check is far and away the worst feature of the car.

Fuel Consumption

One that seems to get asked a fair bit is what is the real world fuel consumption. So here are my stats so far. My car is used for commuting which for me is (approx): 10 miles A road, 4 miles motorway, 2 miles of traffic.

Current average over 3412 miles: 23.16mpg.
Most miles between fill ups: 295 miles.

Fuel table

Reactions: Chop. and Bristle Hound
Fuel Consumption

One that seems to get asked a fair bit is what is the real world fuel consumption. So here are my stats so far. My car is used for commuting which for me is (approx): 10 miles A road, 4 miles motorway, 2 miles of traffic.

Current average over 3412 miles: 23.16mpg.
Most miles between fill ups: 295 miles.

View attachment 54861
Cheers Scotty :thumbs up:

About what I expected TBH

No super unleaded then my friend? :think:

Cheers Scotty :thumbs up:

About what I expected TBH

No super unleaded then my friend? :think:
BH I've thought about the super but the fuel flap says 95 / 91 min. My B7 said 98 / 95 min though of course the dealers never tell the punters it really needs super. The standard S4 feels fine with normal unleaded. Whereas the T FSI always felt better on super as that's what it was designed for.

May try 3 tank fulls to compare just for an experiment.

BH I've thought about the super but the fuel flap says 95 / 91 min. My B7 said 98 / 95 min though of course the dealers never tell the punters it really needs super. The standard S4 feels fine with normal unleaded. Whereas the T FSI always felt better on super as that's what it was designed for.

That's interesting, Scotty. I just assumed I'd be returning to Shell V-Power petrol but this suggests I needn't bother.

Must admit I was / am going down the Shell V-power route, so will be interested to see you findings Scotty :thumbs up:

OK, so in the interests of science I'll try it. 3 tanks of VPower and let's see what the stats are. You'll have to be patient though, I only fill up every 3-4 weeks. :)

Reactions: kanecullen89, jdp1962 and Bristle Hound
OK, so in the interests of science I'll try it. 3 tanks of VPower and let's see what the stats are. You'll have to be patient though, I only fill up every 3-4 weeks. :)
Just hoping I may have my S4 before the end of your evaluation period Scotty :jump:

I run mine on vpower, bp ultimate or tesco99 and find that shell is marginally the best. Average over 8000 miles 28mpg, best 33 on clogged up m5 with miles of 50 limits worst 26 in winter with shorter trips. Never put in ordinary petrol so no idea about it - justs seems wrong!

I need to start making a shopping list of bits and bobs to add to the S4 when it arrives. I've already acquired a set of "supercharged" badges to replace the V6T ones on the flanks. I'll also need to get a pair of ice-white halogen foglight bulbs from @t8ups. But what else? I'm fancying some 4-ring tyre valve caps, UK pressed metal number plates, an R8 oil cap and Porsche coolant cap to perk the engine bay up a bit, then there's the interior lighting.

I know from Warren's S5 build that he sourced a full interior LED kit from T8ups, but according to the latest brochure, mine will come with LED interior lighting. But I don't know how extensive it will be. That's where you come in @scotty76. So I know what I will need to order from @t8ups, , can you tell me what is and is not LED on your car? For example, glovebox, boot, rear number plate etc. etc?

Ta, Jeff

@jdp1962 it's an odd mix!

LED: footwell lighting. Number plate lights.

Not-LED: fog lights, interior lighting, boot light.

This is how it is on my 2014 car. Perhaps someone with a newer car can confirm what the latest models have?

Reactions: jdp1962
on the latest cars, numberplate lights are LED and so are the footwells.

you would need to complete the white look is the fogs and interior kit.

Trups

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962