My S4 thread

Tree 1 - 0 S4.

Hoping it'll polish out.

IMG 20160615 110532758 HDR
IMG 20160615 110545083 HDR

@scotty76 - Feeling you pain buddy :(
Have you spoken with your friendly Detailer yet or are you having a crack at it yourself?
Gonna try it myself first, have plenty of weapons including the DA if need be. Failing that I'll take it to my tame Detailer..... some say.... :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Scottyg
Some say........it's cheaper to pay a professional to do the job first time than pay him to undo the mess I made of trying to do it myself. :)

Reactions: scotty76
That would apply to me Jeff, but I'm glad I had a go at my scratch and a chip. They are much less obvious than before and I have the satisfaction of having had a go myself. Plus I now feel a bit more 'tolerant' to the inevitable paint damage that my car will get over time, whereas if I had paid for a professional fix I'd be just as OCD about the car as I have been for the last year.

I had some bush scratches a while ago, and whilst nowhere as bad as Scotty's they did polish out quite easily.

Reactions: jdp1962
So 2 years in this week and I've done 12k miles. The DIS reports 360 hours driving time at an average over 12k of 36mph. :) Fuel economy is 26.9mpg. The coolant system has been checked 3 times with no fault found and the level does now seem stable, but hey I said that last year too.

Still enjoying the S-Tronic gearbox but keeping an eye on all the threads about this. I have 2 years of warranty left so will take a view at the end of that as to what to do. As my car is 99.9% for commuting it's been a life saver or more precisely a left leg saver! You can see how good my journey is by the average speed quoted above. :) After 2 years I finally feel I know how to use the S-Tronic. I frequently switch between D and S depending on what's happening.

Drive Select I just leave in Dynamic and switch between D/S as needed. I don't have adaptive dampers so the setting has no ill effect on the ride and I prefer the crisper throttle response.

The CQuartz Finest coating is still working so has made the claimed 2 year life. I have some random scratches on the rear bumper that I can't really work out what has caused them. No doubt general work's car park wear and tear. I've tried photographing them but they don't come out and it's only really my Detailer's eye that sees them. Most people would never notice.

I still don't see many S4s about and all the ones I have seen round here are Avants so I seem to be a rare sight on the roads! I still think the S4 is a great all rounder and perfectly fits the bill of Dad taxi as well as being fun to hoon around in should the fancy take me.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Scottyg, Dippy and 1 other person
What - nobody told me I had to do a yearly report!

Reactions: scotty76 and jdp1962
Glad the CQUARTZUK is holding up. How'd you get on with the scratch?

I'd never be without the S-Tronic/auto anymore. Apart from a dead left thigh it's just so much easier to drive.

Keep enjoying it, Scotty.

What - nobody told me I had to do a yearly report!
Chop, chop we're waiting! :D

Seriously, I hope it helps people to understand what it's like to live with one of these cars. Forums are often full of people looking for advice which is absolutely fine, that's part of there use. What you see less of is how the day to day stuff is.

Reactions: jdp1962
I had a go at the scratch this morning. Mostly used Autofinesse Tripple followed by a touch of Meguiars #205 all by hand. It's still there but you'd have to know where to look. Hidden in the reflections. :) I'm certain the DA would have completely removed it but I couldn't really be bothered to get it out, one for another day.

IMG 20160619 112830625 HDR
IMG 20160619 112454605 HDR

Reactions: Bulldog and jdp1962
As above Scotty good job that.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I had a go at the scratch this morning. Mostly used Autofinesse Tripple followed by a touch of Meguiars #205 all by hand.

I guess I'm very much a novice at detailing but having read the descriptions of those two products I'd have assumed that the Meguiars #205 should have been used first since it contains micro abrasives, and then the Tripple because not only does it contain abrasives but also fillers and wax for finishing off. What have I misunderstood?

I guess I'm very much a novice at detailing but having read the descriptions of those two products I'd have assumed that the Meguiars #205 should have been used first since it contains micro abrasives, and then the Tripple because not only does it contain abrasives but also fillers and wax for finishing off. What have I misunderstood?
Fair question. The general rule of thumb is to work up from the least aggressive thing. Tripple has less cut than 205 so I started with that. It improved matters but not enough for my liking so I stepped up to 205. I also have Meguiars 105 but you can't use it by hand it needs a machine polisher (205 you can use by hand).

So in summary these were the two options I have that can be used by hand and I started with the least aggressive. Hope that helps?

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Audi just sent me a marketing email inviting me to upgrade the maps on my sat nav. I don't have sat nav. You think they could be a little more targeted with their emails instead of blanket spam. Muppets. :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Keef
Audi just sent me a marketing email inviting me to upgrade the maps on my sat nav. I don't have sat nav. You think they could be a little more targeted with their emails instead of blanket spam. Muppets. :)
Scotty they might be fitting one free of charge due to the emissions scandal. Can't wait for mine

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
I just received it too; didn't say how much it costs.

No email for me yet!
On my old B8, after kicking up a fuss with Audi CS I got free map updates for life of ownership of that car. Think it worked out to be £250 for the map pack plus another £200 labour! Even though all they had to is put the SD card in and leave it to update - then validate with some computer in Germany!
To be honest I had to go back that many times after the updates it wasn't worth the hassle. I'm sure it must be easier to do now on the newer system.

I relinquished my letter for a discount on my current car!

Here maps ftw! It's free and you can use it offline.

Cheers mate. TomTom is offline too plus I find their HD traffic to be the most accurate for my commute.

Reactions: feva
I just received it too; didn't say how much it costs.
They're watching us. Just got this...

Sometimes, even emails take a wrong turn.

Like the one we sent you recently about updating your car’s Satellite Navigation maps. Due to an error, we sent it to you by mistake. We’d like to apologise – after all, there’s nothing more embarrassing than losing your way.

Once again, sorry for any confusion. We’ll try to make sure any future emails reach their intended destination.

Reactions: xpoweruk and Keef
Popped out this morning to find bird poo on the bonnet (wasn't there yesterday) cleaned it up but it has already etched the paint. Tried Tripple and Meguiars #205 but no joy. Have to tackle it with the DA. What are they eating this time of year? :(

I've had the same. 3 in a couple of days and all eaten through the lacquer. It's been like trying to remove gravel/clay. ****** seagulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife's a3 suffers big time with bird poop etching paint. If it's left on for half a day it's too late. Think birds nowadays must be effected by global warming and are mutating.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Bulldog and scotty76
Filled up yesterday, 322 miles from the tank. I think that's a new PB. What I discovered along the way is I am not cut out for high pressure situations. Had 25 miles remaining on the DIS and the fuel light on. I was a nervous wreck. :D

Reactions: Roadrunner146 and Keef