My S4 thread

Mine's about six weeks away from being two years old and, therefore, due its first major service. Quotes will follow soon.

Reactions: scotty76
@scotty76 - I had my 2nd service at MDM Technik in Marlow for £318. No MOT but I did get the wheels rotated (although I'm not sure if this was actually priced). On that basis your dealer quotes don't look too bad, assuming that the cabin/pollen filter is included?
I doubt it does include the pollen filter. Looking at the invoices I have, the oil change service in year 1 was just that. Oil+filter and nothing else. The pollen filter was changed last year.

VAG Autoworks £278.18

I'll keep them in mind post warranty as I've heard good things about them (think @razza1 was a fan of them). Apparently they've been rebuilding an RS6 recently. :)

Jesus that's ridiculous I need to open a garage :grimacing:

Reactions: scotty76, xpoweruk and Thundercliffe81
I've just traded my car in to avoid the cost of a brake fluid change & oil service!
IMG 3856

Reactions: arad85, Chop., jdp1962 and 3 others
So a quick mpg update as I've seen a few threads on this for the S4 again. DIS figures:

19,131 miles
27.6mpg avg

Today's run to work:
25.2 miles
32.4mpg avg

So a quick mpg update as I've seen a few threads on this for the S4 again. DIS figures:

19,131 miles
27.6mpg avg

Today's run to work:
25.2 miles
32.4mpg avg
My last tankful averaged 22.1 mpg :(
I may be doing something wrong lol

Reactions: V6_Man

19,131 miles
27.6mpg avg

Today's run to work:
25.2 miles
32.4mpg avg
Managed to average 37.2mpg on 100 mile motorway run from Bexleyheath to Portsmouth on Wednesday. I put it down to using Shell V-Power.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, V6_Man, Keef and 1 other person
Managed to average 37.2mpg on 100 mile motorway run from Bexleyheath to Portsmouth on Wednesday. I put it down to using Shell V-Power.
Nice work @jdp1962! I managed 35.2mpg on the run to work this week on Texaco standard 95 unleaded.

Reactions: V6_Man and Keef
I can only dream of these ^ mpg figures on my S4 :(

@Bristle Hound, not at all, Col. If you did a similar journey in similar conditions (100 miles on the motorway with traffic limiting you to cruising at 70-75), no reason why you wouldn't get the same. :)
@jdp1962 - I have a 60 mile run, which is 90% motorway
Best I've EVER got out my S4 on this was 35.1mpg, BUT I did have to put a pesky M140i in its place on that particular run ;) :D
Or may be I need to invest in a pair of these lol

Upload 2017 5 27 19 39 54

Apologies to @scotty76 I seem to have :sign hijacked:
Won't happen anymore, honest :D

Reactions: Keef, Thundercliffe81, scotty76 and 1 other person
Stop posting slippers in my thread @Bristle Hound just coz you love the pink fluffy ones there's no need to share. :D

Reactions: RS5 JON, Bristle Hound, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
@jdp1962 - I have a 60 mile run, which is 90% motorway
Best I've EVER got out my S4 on this was 35.1mpg, BUT I did have to put a pesky M140i in its place on that particular run ;) :D
Or may be I need to invest in a pair of these lol

View attachment 126754
Apologies to @scotty76 I seem to have :sign hijacked:
Won't happen anymore, honest :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Keef and Bristle Hound
Today is service day. #nervous Left the no wash sign in place, pointed it out to the service guy.

3 years old on Friday, I'll try and post up some thoughts when I get a minute. I seem to have a fair collection of stone chips, including two on the alloys as well as a dent on the rear panel which I'm pretty sure is the result of a car park injury, where someone has opened their door into my car. :( It's right on the crease line of the panel so I reckon PDR is out.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and V6_Man
Today is service day. #nervous Left the no wash sign in place, pointed it out to the service guy.

3 years old on Friday, I'll try and post up some thoughts when I get a minute. I seem to have a fair collection of stone chips, including two on the alloys as well as a dent on the rear panel which I'm pretty sure is the result of a car park injury, where someone has opened their door into my car. :( It's right on the crease line of the panel so I reckon PDR is out.
We're on tenterhooks for the updates, @scotty76. :)

So the damage report is below. £327.39 all in service + MOT + brake fluid.

The good: they didn't wash it.
The bad: looking at the invoice and the service computer I'd say it's back on Flexible Servicing again having been previously set to Fixed. I suspect I'm just going to live with that and take it back in a year's time. The dealers seem unable to cope with this anomaly of annual servicing. :D Oh and they didn't stamp the supplementary service book but I forgot to leave it out and this car's service record is electronic, so I'll let them off.

IMG 20170607 154233362
Service page1
Service page2

Interesting @scotty76. I have booked mine in on 21/07 for the first MoT (she"ll be three then) and brake fluid change.
Interested to see what your dealership charged you and what mine quoted me. Not massive but around £30 for MoT. Let me call them again and find out why

I have mine set on variable services but have an interim oil change done in between.

I have mine set on variable services but have an interim oil change done in between.
With hindsight that's what I should have done. It would have been cheaper and less hassle. I guess you have to make the mistake to learn from it. :)

Reactions: Keef, V6_Man and jdp1962
With hindsight that's what I should have done. It would have been cheaper and less hassle. I guess you have to make the mistake to learn from it. :)
My version of that is "no point getting older if you don't get wiser". :)

Reactions: Keef, V6_Man and scotty76
I think one year left then Octavia VRS. :D

Interseting! I had one prior to my S4 and it was definitely a Friday afternoon car, I said I'd never have another but I can't help thinking how good the new ones look. Once my daughter has a few years driving under her belt I may trade the focus in for a newish one to use as the family daily.

So, three years and 19,711 miles ticked by on Friday. What do I think at this point? Well, still happy with the car. I have kids so need bootspace. I commute through heavy traffic most mornings so need comfort. And I like to have a blast sometimes. I think the S4 is still a great all rounder and ticks a lot of boxes. S-Tronic for the commute, decent boot for the kids and the supercharged poke for the fun times. The only thing I would have specced with hindsight is ACC (adaptive cruise control). My wife's Golf has this and it is awesome. Coupled with the S-Tronic it would have been great. The car has a fair number of stone chips and one really annoying dent on the driver's side (car parking wound) but otherwise is intact. The mpg is now regularly over 30mpg, I know that's not the point of an S car but it's a nice plus. :)

The coolant level still seems settled which is good.

So far the car has had 3 services, 3 tyres (2 routine, 1 damaged), 2 pro details and a lot of petrol. :D

And finally a few piccies.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, jdp1962 and V6_Man
Just a quick update to say that the brake pedal feel has improved massively since the brake fluid change. So IMHO 3 years seems to be too long for the first change. It's every 2 years thereafter so odd the first change is longer.

Reactions: V6_Man, Keef and Scottyg
Since I sold my S4 I've been really regretting it. Bought the A6 with the same engine, but it felt a million miles away from the S4 as a total package. So . . . I've now got a golf r estate to replace the S4.

I just thought it might be interesting for some to hear a compare and contrast from anyone that has mulled it over.

First off, even with the brand new facelift of the golf, I think the B8 S4 is still the nicer place to be. Sure the dash/cockpit is a little dated, but fit/finish/materials etc are all still a notch up on the audi.

Overall body/finish etc too is still a notch up on the audi. Some messy welds - particularly around the boot/roof when open - are quite apparent on the golf.

Otherwise though - really impressed. It's still very tight as only done a few hundred miles, but the 4cyl sounds much better than expected and pulls very hard. Less low down linear torque, but revs out nicely. Feels a bit stiffer than the S4 too although I had the adaptive dampers on the S4 but don't have DCC on the golf.

Interestingly my wife said - this feels just like the S4 when she drove it for the first time.

All in - lower quality in a lot of places, but a lot of kit - ACC, new dash etc and feels far more me than the A6.
e09f9ced7d20f77d3d8fab415b386c0f.jpg

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, jdp1962, scotty76 and 2 others
Just a quick update to say that the brake pedal feel has improved massively since the brake fluid change. So IMHO 3 years seems to be too long for the first change. It's every 2 years thereafter so odd the first change is longer.
Mine was changed today. I'll report on brake pedal feel tomorrow.