My S4 Power :)

Reverse doesnt usually have a syncro, which is why it grinds if you select reverse will still rolling forward.

Actually, the 012 and 01A trannies do have syncros on the reverse cogs. Any 012 / 01A that crunches in reverse has a worn syncro.

The reverse syncro was deleted in the 01E trannies.

I installed 4th, 4th and 6th gears into my S4 DSY, and my car is now geared to do 37.5 mph/1,000 rpm. The S8's beefy, linear torque means I can still pull strongly, even in the higher gears from low speeds. Will be interesting to see what the top end is.

thats some serious cruising capacity you have there mate, do you get better mpg at motorway speeds running so low in the rev range?

I haven't driven her far enough to find out, yet to get her MOT'd.

just read that again... 37.5mph/1000rpm! 255mph at the rev limiter in 6th...

Thats ****** mental, 6th gear will be pretty useless tbh, even with 300 or 400hp

It will be so overgeared that the car will probably have a higher top end in 4th or 5th than it will in 6th, and even with a brute of a V8 in there, at 70mph its going to be spinning over at 1800rpm, and you'll have to downshift for any sort of accelleration or the engine will be labouring away trying to pull the motor along, and if you do turbocharge it for more power, you'll be running below the boost threshold at cruise, meaning it will be very lethargic.

I've been there before, my old nova had a stupid gearbox from a diesel, giving it a top gear that was good for 175mph (about 26mph/1000rpm, similar to 6th in a stock S4, but with half the power driving it) and it was just nasty. You'd end up constantly swapping between 4th and 5th on the motorway because the engine just couldnt pull the gear. 3rd was good for about 100mph and the motor would run out of puff before it reached the rev limiter in 4th.

no i said "it" not "him" otherwise i wont caress the gear knob anymore...lol

but 1800rpm is right on the start of the torque curve so might pull better than you think, my s4 pulled quite hard from 1800rpm on the standard map but i see what your saying about the gear being way too long and not reaching peak power output till your into stupid speeds