My s3 v6 build

I was emptying my catch can every 1000 miles. There would be around 50-100ml of oily watery liquid in it. I don’t plan of plumbing mine into the TIP on this build. I had been advised by various people including those in the motorsport industry that plumbing it back into the TIP means your engine has to burn it off, oil fumes naturally reduces the octane...... how much of that is true I’m not 100% certain. But I wouldn’t want my engine burning off the crap I find in my catch can personally. I’ll be venting to atmosphere, many are concerned with the smell, I didn’t really notice it with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Asim1 and Tj 0785
I was emptying my catch can every 1000 miles. There would be around 50-100ml of oily watery liquid in it. I don’t plan of plumbing mine into the TIP on this build. I had been advised by various people including those in the motorsport industry that plumbing it back into the TIP means your engine has to burn it off, oil fumes naturally reduces the octane...... how much of that is true I’m not 100% certain. But I wouldn’t want my engine burning off the **** I find in my catch can personally. I’ll be venting to atmosphere, many are concerned with the smell, I didn’t really notice it with mine.

I agree, mine collects quite abit and it seems thin I’m glad I done that little mod after seeing what clogs up in all the pipes

Reactions: Asim1, Tj 0785 and S3AMJ
I was emptying my catch can every 1000 miles. There would be around 50-100ml of oily watery liquid in it. I don’t plan of plumbing mine into the TIP on this build. I had been advised by various people including those in the motorsport industry that plumbing it back into the TIP means your engine has to burn it off, oil fumes naturally reduces the octane...... how much of that is true I’m not 100% certain. But I wouldn’t want my engine burning off the **** I find in my catch can personally. I’ll be venting to atmosphere, many are concerned with the smell, I didn’t really notice it with mine.

. Does performance differ between brand ones and cheap ebay ones?

https://turbozentrum.co.uk/Universal-Performance-Oil-Catch-Can-Nuke-Performance

. Does performance differ between brand ones and cheap ebay ones?

https://turbozentrum.co.uk/Universal-Performance-Oil-Catch-Can-Nuke-Performance

No difference in performance mate no, just make sure it’s a minimum of 19mm (3/4”) inlet and outlet. I know this is based on the 1.8t I doubt it’ll be any different on your VR6 engine. Ideally you’ll want one that’s baffled so as your driving around the contents inside aren’t splashing about loads. Another thing to consider is accessibility make sure you can easily get to it for emptying and cleaning it out occasionally. Majority of them out there will have a drain off at the bottom. You can always run a tube from that to anywhere, which is what I’ll be doing with my build.

Is an10 around 3/4? Yeah the nuke performance one comes with a tap and a 2m hose on the drain tap and also has a little dipstick so you can check the levels will have a look around at some other makes get one that looks decent

Is an10 around 3/4? Yeah the nuke performance one comes with a tap and a 2m hose on the drain tap and also has a little dipstick so you can check the levels will have a look around at some other makes get one that looks decent

AN10 is 5/8 which is smaller. Nearest you’ll get to 19mm (3/4”) is AN12.

There are plenty out there, not expensive either, try searching for some aluminium fabricators, can’t remember there was a couple I found a while back. I’m actually selling my old setup but it’s more suited to a 1.8t with all the pipework and joiners, etc.

Reactions: S3AMJ
Decent little website that ! I’ll bookmark that, well priced too...

Yeah took me an age to find it originally. They don’t advertise themselves very well. Nice helpful people, just failed to baffle my original catch can when I ordered one from them, so I opened it up and baffled it myself. Good quality stuff to be fail to them and like you said..... well priced

Yeah must be a side business for someone there’s no address I don’t think look good quality though

@S3AMJ I vent mine to atmosphere and have done for a few years now. I vented mine to atmosphere after the rebuild so no poo was going back into the engine. In terms of the smell I did notice it when it was up near the strut brace so maybe getting into the car by the vents but I have now moved it to the back of the battery. I drilled a hole in the cone filter heat sheild and made a bracket and mounted it there. Had to take a we bit out of the battery cover to make it fit back over. 20191101 105154

Reactions: Tj 0785 and S3AMJ
@S3AMJ I vent mine to atmosphere and have done for a few years now. I vented mine to atmosphere after the rebuild so no poo was going back into the engine. In terms of the smell I did notice it when it was up near the strut brace so maybe getting into the car by the vents but I have now moved it to the back of the battery. I drilled a hole in the cone filter heat sheild and made a bracket and mounted it there. Had to take a we bit out of the battery cover to make it fit back over.View attachment 213907

Yeah mine was near the front of the engine bay too. My new one will be as well, suppose any fumes have disappeared by the time they get to the vents.

I will “try” and cover everything over with some of the covers. Not sure if running the catch cans to atmosphere is an mot failure. I will hopefully be getting my car MOT’d once I’ve had it back from Badger5 by a close friend of mine which is a “friendly” MOTer.

@S3AMJ I vent mine to atmosphere and have done for a few years now. I vented mine to atmosphere after the rebuild so no poo was going back into the engine. In terms of the smell I did notice it when it was up near the strut brace so maybe getting into the car by the vents but I have now moved it to the back of the battery. I drilled a hole in the cone filter heat sheild and made a bracket and mounted it there. Had to take a we bit out of the battery cover to make it fit back over.View attachment 213907
could you run the vent into the wheel arch so the smells don’t go into the cabin, although not a problem for me I’ve not smelt a thing In 7 months since the corona

Last edited:
So I’m ordering the Nuke performance catch can and drain kit after watching a few videos, ram air filter arrived today and it’s quite big think I’m glad I didn’t order the extra large one,
289050C7 FBF1 49F4 BC3E A531E53F790D

Loads to crack on with as planned to use my 2days off to crack on but can’t even do anything as I spent 8 hours in a tattoo chair last night and my shoulder is wrapped up tight

There’s a big influx of people using those ProRam air filters I’ve noticed. They seem good quality and a really nice finish. I’m tempted to change my K&N for one. Surprisingly quick cheap as well and “twin” cone.

Yeah the “twin cone” is not full length the internal cone is probably only 2-3” inches deep and comes with a trumpet to take it down from 6”- 4” , I have seen good reviews on them and plus prefer the colour over the k&n one, also the ash hoses and clamps have turned up with the fmic kit and Ali pipe for the coolant feeds looking at all this and just want to get out and work on it

Not as deep as you would think but should be plenty

Attachments

• E9EF9F6D-EB1A-42F0-A9DD-634F03C7FF93.jpeg
    E9EF9F6D-EB1A-42F0-A9DD-634F03C7FF93.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 8EB362B7-B2A0-44C3-BCE3-78CE31FAEA79.jpeg
    8EB362B7-B2A0-44C3-BCE3-78CE31FAEA79.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: hydro s3 and S3AMJ
I might do a side by side test with Badger5 on these. Compare my current K&N to the ProRam on my new build.

Would be interesting to see if there’s a difference I think they sponsor prawn now aswell

Would be interesting to see if there’s a difference I think they sponsor prawn now aswell

Yeah they do sponsor Prawn. I think Badger5 are a distributor as well now, noticed they sell them on there website the other day. Good to see your car coming along. You got much left to do before you can turn the key?

Wiring,
fmic fitting
Finish fuel lines and fit fuel pumps
Fit turbo oil return to sump
Finish battery relocation and Andy Mac install
Make intake pipe
Fit boost controller
Fit catch can set up
And send car off for downpipe and exhaust
Fit new front drive shafts
Fit the 8 pot brakes I pretty much everything part wise except for ecu and exhaust main issue is time things like all the new trims and the brakes can wait till I have it started but want to get the oil lines finished so I can get some fluids in the car

Wiring,
fmic fitting
Finish fuel lines and fit fuel pumps
Fit turbo oil return to sump
Finish battery relocation and Andy Mac install
Make intake pipe
Fit boost controller
Fit catch can set up
And send car off for downpipe and exhaust
Fit new front drive shafts
Fit the 8 pot brakes I pretty much everything part wise except for ecu and exhaust main issue is time things like all the new trims and the brakes can wait till I have it started but want to get the oil lines finished so I can get some fluids in the car

The list is getting smaller mate, shouldn’t be too long now. Like I’ve said before, huge achievement doing it all yourself.

Time stands for no man as they say, I’m going to try and arrange for a meet next year, hopefully everyone’s cars will be together by summer time. Like a forum friendly track weekend or something. All depending on COVID-19 blah blah blah.

Reactions: hydro s3 and Tj 0785
Yeah sounds good to me il be up for that,I have to clear some jobs off at work to help the boss out and will be booking a few Fridays and Monday off to give me a few long weekends to work on it,
Just seeing it come together does give me a sense of satisfaction knowing that I’ve done myself by asking questions and researching it

Won't be long now mate till it's all done. You have done a real good job doing it urself. That meet up would be good I might be up for that.

5B9FC5FA 61E8 4992 96E9 99979541654E
Went with the nuke performance 1l catch can in the end

Reactions: tcg and S3AMJ
Build quality looks nice

Reactions: Tj 0785
Lovely mate...how long does it keep your coffee hot for?

Not seen you on here for a while what madness have you been upto with the tt

Well sadly I’ve been slacking with the s3 so much to be getting on with but so much going on at the minute I’m finding hard to get motivated on the rare chance I get time, should be getting on with the loads today have have all the bits needed for
the wiring,
to finish fuel lines
catch can set up
Finish battery relocation
Finish sub install
And fmic install
I have sent the 8pot brakes I bought of @S3AMJ for a colour change and hopefully once they come back il get a bit of motivation back

What colour you gone for mate? That Blue theme you got going on?

Yeah stuck with the blue to match the seats was tempted to go red or yellow
What colour you gone for mate? That Blue theme you got going on?

Well blues a little different plus matches everything else so that’s cool, looking forward to seeing them on the car.

Sold the s3 engine cover on eBay had to dig it out of the car,
7A645913 CE71 4634 A6F4 8A148716B13F
EFD65117 F938 48CA 927D 4E550B6CF550
CC7C2A9A 4A84 49DA 8BA5 5CDB7F13C8D8
this is the extent of my job ahead 99% is all new parts/trim pieces

Reactions: hydro s3 and S3AMJ
Deffo not short of anything get it done mate, we are routing for you. Hopefully Tuffty will be getting his sorted as well.

Think tuffty will be done before mine at this rate I originally planned on being running before end of April but realistically as long as I can take it for a spin on my birthday in June il be happy if not il be sat in it making car noises
Like you say it’s all there bar the ecu and exhaust and the odd bit for an air intake

Reactions: Sandra