My s3 v6 build

TJ Quick question I’m looking at HPA Motorsports haldex controller they’re £590 give or take the dollar rate how comes you bought the blue haldex and not that ?? The kit sounds mustard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason really the blue are no longer available so don’t come up often, from what I gather the hpa controller will enhance the blue the a bit more, I will be getting the hpa pack next time I go Florida even though il probably never change settings so I don’t have to pay the import as with import and shipping you are close to £700

I just went on there website and it’s 699 dollars ends up being £50 shipping so topped up around £600 shipped to the uk rather than 750 off awesome gti is that right ?? I thought the hpa replaces the blue controller ?

I just went on there website and it’s 699 dollars ends up being £50 shipping so topped up around £600 shipped to the uk rather than 750 off awesome gti is that right ?? I thought the hpa replaces the blue controller ?

Add 20% import tax that you have to pay On the value of goods plus delivery when it gets here, that’s not included in the shipping price, you always get that extra bill when ordering from the USA usually the delivery company over here will pay it and bill you, the hpa was a newer version and “upgrades” your standard controller to a race one, but a few people are using both and say they can tell the difference weather that is a placebo effect I don’t know

Righttttt got ya so maybe it is worth just getting it off awesome or when I go America next year...

Reactions: Tj 0785
Righttttt got ya so maybe it is worth just getting it off awesome or when I go America next year...

chances are awesome don’t stock them and order in or get delivered to you from hpa, personally I’d wait till you go over that’s what I’m doing and hopefully the pound goes up against the dollar and it will work out even cheaper

If I do go I’ll see if anyone else wants one

HPA just interfaces with the existing controller (blue or std) and fudges teh data going to it to 'trick' the controller into acting in a particular way...

The haldex controller itself is nothing special... it just moves a valve using a servo motor to allow the multi plate wet clutch system to engage... the OG firmware just works off the data input to decide when to do that... the blue controller has revised firmware is all that will engage the clutch more quickly based on the data it sees... HPA controller works in a similar fashion but intercepts the data and essentially turns it up to 11 before passing it onto the haldex controller itself making the haldex firmware think the conditions for operation are in play when they are not so to speak...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Brad1011
HPA just interfaces with the existing controller (blue or std) and fudges teh data going to it to 'trick' the controller into acting in a particular way...

The haldex controller itself is nothing special... it just moves a valve using a servo motor to allow the multi plate wet clutch system to engage... the OG firmware just works off the data input to decide when to do that... the blue controller has revised firmware is all that will engage the clutch more quickly based on the data it sees... HPA controller works in a similar fashion but intercepts the data and essentially turns it up to 11 before passing it onto the haldex controller itself making the haldex firmware think the conditions for operation are in play when they are not so to speak...

<tuffty/>

That’s some very detailed information tuffers kind of understand it , to me it sounds clever, do you have any experience with it ? or people you know of ? I want one just mainly for the track I thought for the price of that over the blue controller would you not have less drag on front wheel drive at top speed rather than 50/50 if that’s how it works? If you know what I mean...

I have a HPA myself... noticeably better when launching and when driving out of corners....

Obvs it won't turn the car into an Evo but it does address lazy haldex syndrome :)

<tuffty/>

...its not a case of 50/50... as if you log haldex engagement its almost never 50/50... especially at speed...

HPA/Blue are more proactive... the OG firmware is more reactive... when you accelerate hard in a condition that will require more traction the OG firmware will suddenly realise it needs to do something and come in like a steam train... this sudden engagement comes in quite harshly and can unsettle the car especially when powering out of a corner... the HPA/Blue tends to pre engage based off throttle position rather then engage based on wheel slip so will push you out of a corner more smoothly...

The HPA is a bit more flexible and has various 'modes' including one where you can program based on speed how much engagement you want

The beauty of the HPA is when the controller fails (as they do) then you just source another std one cheaply and you are back in business... once the blue controller borks then you are kinda stuck... the HPA will work with both std and blue controllers... you just tell it what you have in the setup menus

<tuffty/>

I have a HPA myself... noticeably better when launching and when driving out of corners....

Obvs it won't turn the car into an Evo but it does address lazy haldex syndrome :)

<tuffty/>

SOLD ! to me it sounds like a no brainer I should be able to corner faster and be more stable in theory

...its not a case of 50/50... as if you log haldex engagement its almost never 50/50... especially at speed...

HPA/Blue are more proactive... the OG firmware is more reactive... when you accelerate hard in a condition that will require more traction the OG firmware will suddenly realise it needs to do something and come in like a steam train... this sudden engagement comes in quite harshly and can unsettle the car especially when powering out of a corner... the HPA/Blue tends to pre engage based off throttle position rather then engage based on wheel slip so will push you out of a corner more smoothly...

The HPA is a bit more flexible and has various 'modes' including one where you can program based on speed how much engagement you want

The beauty of the HPA is when the controller fails (as they do) then you just source another std one cheaply and you are back in business... once the blue controller borks then you are kinda stuck... the HPA will work with both std and blue controllers... you just tell it what you have in the setup menus

<tuffty/>

This is why I’m looking towards the HPA as buying a blue for 450+ if you’re lucky and hoping it doesn’t pack in as they’re coming up to 20’years old doesn’t sound promising to me...

This is on my list of things to get eventually

That’s why I plan on both, i was supposed to be flying to Florida next month( also meant to be going in March hopefully it will go ahead) and bring one back, the blue will probably fail eventually although I didnt find any info about people about them failing like the standard ones, as long as moisture doesn’t get in it should be fine

That’s why I plan on both, i was supposed to be flying to Florida next month( also meant to be going in March hopefully it will go ahead) and bring one back, the blue will probably fail eventually although I didnt find any info about people about them failing like the standard ones, as long as moisture doesn’t get in it should be fine

If you do go could you grab me one pwetty pwese

Ignitron already has haldex control built in but its only for cars with ABS disabled due to the way the haldex works...

I know Brian is looking at a separate module to complement and work with IECU so that you can setup the controller in IECU then it will work with ABS enabled etc but not sure how far along he is with this as his main focus recently has been meeting demand of the ECU's themselves and firmware changes to work with DSG gearboxes

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Rainbird
I’m getting a bit paranoid about the engine seizing so am going to fill out some oil in it, now am I best just using any oil so I can turn it over by hand and drain it if I ever start the ****** thing or just using which ever oil I tend to run it in with

Oh and when turning over by hand do I want to turn the crank clockwise or anti clock wise

FA04DA5C 15DA 4CB0 B0D5 918837C2BC78
B600DF0B F118 4FAF 8FD9 61F57912445D
9002F049 A781 4203 ABD8 34DDB836E01F
So I decided to get something a bit more sensible instead of the r32 not to sensible though that would be no fun so have gone a bought this 330d with m performance pack and the sale of the r32 will be going onto the s3
, my 1st ever diesel car 2nd bmw had one when I was 19 that I ended up driving through someone’s front garden sideways haha

Reactions: Sandra, S3AMJ, hydro s3 and 1 other person
I got Some aluminium mirrors for sale in classifieds thought they would of gone by now,

Not sure yet these are a spare set I have lay around, getting rid of my lock up so only so much I can keep,

Looking at buying some injectors (again) and if im buying 6 genuine Bosch injectors so I need to pay extra for flow testing or are the tolerances acceptable?

So it’s been a week since the r32 went and I do miss the sound badly compared to the diesel the bmw is definitely quicker, and nicer place to sit but it’s lit a fire to get my s3 done
So tonight I have ordered turbo, 44mm wastegate, oil and water feed/drains a load of an fitings to get fuel rail/regulator fitted and received the 2.8 ;motion throttle body to try and free up some space between the fan and tb

Where’s best place to get some quality silicone/pipe work for fmic installation

Last edited:
I usually get mine from AutoSiliconeHoses (ASH) but they don’t always have stuff in stock. Always a good idea to call them to make sure they do before ordering.

I want to try and get as much of it as possible hard piped,welded and powder coated, Rather than loads of joints, also need to get some pip work for the tip sorted

Less joints the better... but just remember you will need some flexibility with engine movement. I’m wanting to go as much hardpipe as possible on my build also.

Less joints the better... but just remember you will need some flexibility with engine movement. I’m wanting to go as much hardpipe as possible on my build also.

Yeah I plan on having silicone joint at The connection ends , I see you got yours moving along , wish I had the some coin left to buy them brakes

Reactions: S3AMJ
Yeah it’s begun mate I’ll do my best to update everyone as the build goes, won’t help with this 2nd lockdown coming. If no one snaps them up I’ll keep them by for you.