My s3 v6 build

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So not. Sure if I’ve mentioned before I have decided to go 3.2 v6 turbo. Engine is from a 2003 tt with 90k miles. I’m leaning towards keeping the stock intake manifold which will limit power to 500ish bhp but I think it looks better with it on instead of the bare block and a short runner intake, i might change it further down the line but we will see. Turbo wise I’m leaning towards a Garrett gtx35 And off the top of my head a to do list( will be things missing and probably a even bigger list of questions to come)

Rods
De compression plate
All gaskets
Water pump
Oil pump
Tensioner kit
Engine mounts
Arp Head bolts
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Fuel rail and regulator
Injectors what size ?
Exhaust manifold http://pagparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=580
Turbo. https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin.../gtx3584rs/?utm_campaign=redirect_Day1Garrett or http://realstreetperformance.com/Tu...Turbo-Billet-CEA-6466-900HP-Turbocharger.html
Wastegate
Throttle body
Map sensor
Oil pressure gauge.
Boost gauge
boost controller
Oil cooler
FMIC
Spark plugs
Turbo
Turbo oil and water feeds
Tip
Blow off valve
3” downpipe
3” exhaust
Custom tip
Keep both sets of lambda sensors or one set?
Gearbox
Clutch
Standalone ecu
Wmi
Power steering pump tt or s3 one?
Auxiliary belt

Bodywork
18” wheels
Re build rear callipers (got)
Fit the 18z callipers (got)
Fit new scuttle panel ( got)
Front bumper respray
Finish steering wheel controls (got all the materials thanks to @warren9022 )
Fit aluminium wing mirrors (got)
Fit wind deflectors (got)
Fit new front wing indicator lenses (got)

God when you list it out it looks like a lot of work and a lot of

Last edited:
Reactions: warren9022 and Alex C
Will there be enough room for the turbo on that manifold with that 3.2 lump?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Should be other people are using that as apparently it’s a good cast manifold and there plenty of biggger turbo build but we will see if not il have to swap manifold

Reactions: andrew_wright
Rods
De compression plate
All gaskets
Water pump
Oil pump
Tensioner kit
Engine mounts
Arp Head bolts
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Fuel rail and regulator
Injectors what size ?
Exhaust manifold http://pagparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=580
Turbo. https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin.../gtx3584rs/?utm_campaign=redirect_Day1Garrett or http://realstreetperformance.com/Tu...Turbo-Billet-CEA-6466-900HP-Turbocharger.html
Wastegate
Throttle body
Map sensor
Oil pressure gauge.
Boost gauge
boost controller
Oil cooler
FMIC
Spark plugs
Turbo
Turbo oil and water feeds
Tip
Blow off valve
3” downpipe
3” exhaust
Custom tip
Keep both sets of lambda sensors or one set?
Gearbox
Clutch
Standalone ecu
Wmi
Power steering pump tt or s3 one?

Yay! This is happening?!? Where are the photos? Hehee

It’s a good list!
- power steering - keep what's on the loom. My BDE didn't have a power steering pump electric plug - so i used the pump out of the VR6 engine. Looks like the same pump and it's in the same location. its just that the S3 one has some kind of sensor. May or may not be the same on the TT.

- ECU - plenty of people still running the stock ECU on boost

- Lambda - code out the post cat ones - stick your AFR sensors in there (one for each bank = 3 and 3)

- Spark plugs - no more el cheapo BKR7E's for you sir!!!

- Injectors - big as you can go ! hahahaha

- What rods are you looking at?

- What CR you gunna go down to with the plate?

Looking forward to updates!!!

Will be watching this with interest, toying with the idea of throwing a 3.2 in my current AUM'd A3 .

Yay! This is happening?!? Where are the photos? Hehee

It’s a good list!
- power steering - keep what's on the loom. My BDE didn't have a power steering pump electric plug - so i used the pump out of the VR6 engine. Looks like the same pump and it's in the same location. its just that the S3 one has some kind of sensor. May or may not be the same on the TT.

- ECU - plenty of people still running the stock ECU on boost

- Lambda - code out the post cat ones - stick your AFR sensors in there (one for each bank = 3 and 3)

- Spark plugs - no more el cheapo BKR7E's for you sir!!!

- Injectors - big as you can go ! hahahaha

- What rods are you looking at?

- What CR you gunna go down to with the plate?

Looking forward to updates!!!

Won’t be two banks as it will have a 3”downpipe never thought about running the two downpipe n cats but lucifer (same as miltek ) do high flow downpipe and sports cats but not sure if they flow better than a 3”dp would

Ecu I’m tempted to go standalone and use the ignitron but as you say plenty are useing stock ecu is just how to control the boost and have switchable maps

Rods plenty of non riffle drilled about but drilled rods are not so easy found probably ie but still looking for a decent deal
Spacer plate is 3.6mm which I think is something like 8.6:1
I’ve also decided to do away with the plastic inlet and fit a short runner so won’t be as restrictive.
It’s going to be slow and as you can expect going to cost a lot of dollars but be worth it in the end (I hope)

Reactions: IPG
Will be watching this with interest, toying with the idea of throwing a 3.2 in my current AUM'd A3 .
I have the 3.2 in the mk5 r32 it is good and sounds mint but I think my stage 1 s3 @248 bhp felt quicker and I prefer to be driving the s3 if it was running
It doesn’t make sense to do the swap without putting a turbo on it (to me) as a tuned 1.8t will be quicker and cheaper when this is finished the r32 will probably be going

Last edited:
Reactions: silestanix
29759977 FCF1 410F 9D9F ACADF1B33705
No photos yet just a pile of pieces in the back of the van dropped it all of at a mechanic I know to store it and when I’m back of holiday in a few weeks get the bits for all the internals so hopefully by Xmas the engine is back together and I can start looking at doing all the modifications. I’m going Vegas in April aswel for a stag do but I thought about dropping out as it will be another 3-4K to spend on the car

Won’t be two banks as it will have a 3”downpipe never thought about running the two downpipe n cats but lucifer (same as miltek ) do high flow downpipe and sports cats but not sure if they flow better than a 3”dp would

Ecu I’m tempted to go standalone and use the ignitron but as you say plenty are useing stock ecu is just how to control the boost and have switchable maps

Rods plenty of non riffle drilled about but drilled rods are not so easy found probably ie but still looking for a decent deal
Spacer plate is 3.6mm which I think is something like 8.6:1
I’ve also decided to do away with the plastic inlet and fit a short runner so won’t be as restrictive.
It’s going to be slow and as you can expect going to cost a lot of dollars but be worth it in the end (I hope)

Will definitely be A 3” downpipe was tired last night not thinking straight haha

Looking at rods I know there is riffle drilled and non drilled but I’ve seen some with holes at the Sides that are cheaper than riffle drilled I’m guessing they have benefits over non drilled but not as good as riffle drilled anyone used them before

Attachments

• F0889731-123D-4062-B9F6-1FDC126FF303.jpeg
    F0889731-123D-4062-B9F6-1FDC126FF303.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: silestanix
All non drilled have those holes dude...

Can't speak for vr lumps (do they have drilled as std? ) but non drilled on 20v engines normally result in small end knock

If vr engines use non drilled as std then they may well be ok

<tuffty/>

I have the 3.2 in the mk5 r32 it is good and sounds mint but I think my stage 1 s3 @248 bhp felt quicker and I prefer to be driving the s3 if it was running
It doesn’t make sense to do the swap without putting a turbo on it (to me) as a tuned 1.8t will be quicker and cheaper when this is finished the r32 will probably be going
Will take this on board tbh, as mine will still be a daily covering 130 miles a day lol.

Not sure if they have them as standard but They say on the r32oc that you don’t need riffle drilled when changing them

If they are drilled as OE then you need drilled... Especially on a road car

<tuffty/>

From what I can see online they aren’t drilled been searching eBay for 2nd Hand ones just to see if they are drilled

Cheers I will probably go for non drilled as reading on the r32 they should be ok with no noise and the money save will go to the ignitron I think

So today I stopped by TPS on the way home from
Work and ordered a few bits. so far I have got
Oil pump
Water pump
New chains and guides and bolts
New Sprockets and bolts
New tensioner
Sump sealent and plug
new rocker cover gasket
Looking to order new oem piston rings and new bearings is there any brand to go for or avoid ? are king racing any good?
Should I go for journal bearing?

I think the OEM 3.6 bearings fit and are coated

Double check that tho

Lol so is the engine. They’re standard in Mk4 golfs and TT remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I mean is that engine in that bay with that manifold pointing in that direction and a gt35 attached to it. Was wondering if it would fit.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Looking at main bearing and it got different sizes like +0.25mm or 0.75mm is there any particular size I should be going for ?

blimey... best of luck, I actually got a migraine looking through what you have to do this morning... what with this and the confusion on Ian's thread who already has a V6 and is building another entire engine "for a laugh". there are not enough coffer tables in the world for all the bits and bobs :D

blimey... best of luck, I actually got a migraine looking through what you have to do this morning... what with this and the confusion on Ian's thread who already has a V6 and is building another entire engine "for a laugh". there are not enough coffer tables in the world for all the bits and bobs :D
yeah I don’t think I quite realised how much there is to do but at least I’ve got a plan now just it doesn’t blow up on 1st turn off the key which I’m hoping will be around August

Looking at main bearing and it got different sizes like +0.25mm or 0.75mm is there any particular size I should be going for ?

Yeah if you know the engine is a runner and no damage was done then Karl is correct.

Yeah if you know the engine is a runner and no damage was done then Karl is correct.

I’m told a it was but that it need thechains doing as it was a bit loud but no warning lights so it shouldn’t be that bad

why not just do the chains and guides then? skip the bearings etc. if they're still good and relatively low-ish km's?

I just thought while the engines apart that they would need doing if they don’t il just do the rod bearing