1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

My s3 v6 build

Tj 0785 Oct 5, 2018

1. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

Currently the Ignitron haldex control requires pulling the abs fuse to work due to the way comms works...

The haldex controller on the diff itself does the 'controlling'... it has the firmware to interpret signals from the canbus...

How Ignitron and HPA work is they take the 'real' signal then alter it to trick the haldex firmware into reacting differently... the HPA is a pass through device so intercepts the signal and then passes its own version of that signal to the haldex controller

Ignitron currently doesn't work in that way and the signals it has to send regarding wheel speed/slip would mean the ABS would have a funny 5 minutes so disabling the ABS by pulling the fuse is currently the only way to get it working...

Its a feature that was originally designed for 'motorsport' applications like drag racing etc and for cars that have had haldex retrofitted into things like a Mk2 Golf...

I believe Brian is looking into producing a module at some point that will then work with stock cars but that may be a little way off as yet

<tuffty/>

baliszoft and S3AMJ like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Registered User Bronze Supporter Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

This arrived today typeb toyosports

Attached Files:

hydro s3 and S3AMJ like this.
  4. Tj 0785

Last of the vibra technics engine mounts ordered this morning, sewing tufftys come together so quick is giving me some hope that when I actually get it to the garage it might not take as long as I think to get done

S3AMJ and <tuffty/> like this.
  5. <tuffty/>

I have not bothered with a VT engine mount for the time being... I have decided that at this time while running atmo I can make use of the money elsewhere to get eh engine up and running especially with the VR6 one retailing at twice the price of a 1.8t mount... I still have the VT gearbox mount which tends to be the wobbly one...

I have just bought a cheap pattern part for now... cost 27 quid delivered... will add the VT mount to the turbo list though :)

<tuffty/>

6. Tj 0785

Yeah going off the website most of the kit is interchangeable apart from the right hand mount at £266
    Clutch (just waiting on a payment that they insist on making me wait the full 30 days for) and gear box and then that’s everything( apart from ignitron) I can buy really until it starts getting put together

7. Tj 0785

Just won a Brand new 50mm turbosmart wastegate for £100 happy days

s3gazz and S3AMJ like this.
  8. Tj 0785

Wastegate and engine mount turned up today, it’s bad news when I look forward to coming home to car parts more then I do coming home to the misses
    I need to join a pic sharing site as every picture I try to upload is always to big, which one is best

9. <tuffty/>

Non of them LOL

Resize it on phone mate or screen shot them.... you can also try using a lower res on the phone camera to get them down to size but its a pain if you forget to change it back

<tuffty/>

10. hydro s3

hydro s3 S3 amk

Same as Tuffty said. Just screen shot it and it should upload. That's how I get any of mine to upload.

11. Tj 0785

After seeing what @<tuffty/> inlet manifold was like I decided to cut mine open as I have it that long I cannot send it back plus there’s not many other options, so cut it open and cleaned what I could with a meter sand paper disc
    [​IMG]

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. <tuffty/>

Whats all the black shizz?

<tuffty/>

14. Tj 0785

Ain’t got a clue what it is but it’s not good, mananged to clean some of it up will have to pick up some drill bits tomorrow finish cleaning it all up,

15. Tj 0785

16. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

also has flakes of unmelted aluminium from the cast process.

17. Tj 0785

Yeah pretty shocking really, it will be getting a good scrub to clean it all up before it’s welded back up

18. S3AMJ

S3AMJ OEM+

It’s a good job you did the same as PT mate. Judging by those internal finishes who knows what could have gone into the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Tj 0785

I wouldn’t of even thought about Doing it if tuffty didnt highlight the problem, I’ve had it for months if I wereMy dragging my heels it could of been on and been non the wiser

S3AMJ likes this.
  20. Tj 0785

What size vacuum nipple should I fit to the inlet manifold, is 6 or 8mm I want to drill it whilst the manifold is in half , have bought a vacuum manifold
    [​IMG]

21. Tj 0785

Since a lot of bits are no longer available from Audi I thought I’d get a few new bits whilst I can. I ordered a new rear bumper insert as mine is cracked
    New front bumper insert,
    New fog lights
    new fog light grills
    New lower grill
    just need the new top grill and with have a fresh front end after the bumper respray

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  22. <tuffty/>

I have one of those vacuum manifolds... Dicided not to use it as I managed to get enough ports in the mani...

Need to see what room I have though as it still may be useful

<tuffty/>

23. Tj 0785

I got the idea from you,What size ports have you used I want to try and keep the bay clutter free
    And hide as much as possible

24. <tuffty/>

two 1/8th npt fittings which I think are 4mm OD and a 1/4 npt which is 10mm OD I think... will have to measure them

<tuffty/>

25. Tj 0785

EDEC19F6-0894-454E-B5EB-DF6EE41144E7.jpeg

Has anyone used a sand blast gun you attach to
    A compressor for little DIY jobs like repainting callipers and cleaning up
    A few other metal bits, I know they ain’t going to be good as proper garage equipment but will they get the job done

500396B8-FEAC-4D59-A19C-1E274EED3C72.jpeg Managed to fined a 38mm to bolt adapter to 50mm vband for the 50mm waste gate was a bit of astruggle plenty from bolt flange to 38- 44mm v band

26. <tuffty/>

That adaptor will be no good mate... its made of aluminium... if you can get one in stainless steel then you are golden

<tuffty/>

27. Tj 0785

Ffs the search continues

28. Tj 0785

Potential stupid question but if using a 13 row oil cooler would you still keep the original one or ditch It ? Like when upgrading the intercooler you ditch the originals

29. Tj 0785

After ordering more parts and realising that I have already spent over 4.5k and still haven’t even opened the engine, I am wondering what I was thinking haha still have to order this lot and I’ve not even looked at reconditioning the head yet!
      • Wmi kit
      • Turbo oil and watter feeds
      • Tip
      • 3” Downpipe with one wideband lambda sensor
      • 3” exhaust
      • Gearbox
      • Fuel pump dw65
      • Clutch pressure plate
      • Clutch disc
      • Dmf
      • Slave cylinder
      • Ecu stand-alone ignitron
      • Gearbox oil
      • Engine oil
      • Auxiliary belt
      • Oil filter
      New coolant/ oil hoses
    In all stupidity I thought I’d be up an running for around 7k no chance of that just going to take a little( probably a lot) longer And more £££ realistically around 10-12k all in!, now I’m getting into b7 rs4 or c63 money!my biggest issue is no space to do it myself if I had a garage I’d could plod on not something I can do on my drive the parts would be gone before there fitted,

oh well it’s all fun and games! Until the wife finds out anyway!

30. S3AMJ

S3AMJ OEM+

Haha oh dear! I’ve always doubled my budget to prevent disappointment. I’ve spent similar on my car mate and yes I could have bought an RS4 or C63 both of which would be my next go to cars as well. But I can guarantee you’ll end up spending a lot of money of those as well.

Keep plodding on, your car will be as good as new effectively...... lower maintenance in the long run and more exclusive. Anyone can have an RS4/C63. Not everyone can have an Audi S3 8L 3.2 V6 turbo ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. Tj 0785

I should have both next year, I always said I won’t get rid of the s3, I definitely won’t when is finished no one would be mad enough to pay for it ha
    I always wanted a rs4 cab so might treat
    myself for my 35th next year

32. <tuffty/>

I spent more than I thought I would so far on my VR transplant... although most of that was in dealer parts etc to ensure the engine is as fresh as it can be bar a full rebuild...

I haven't gone OTT on this as tbh I am done with highly strung power builds... it was soooooo tempting to get a tubular manifold but most are well over 1k and I just can't be doing with that investment anymore...

I set out with a budget in mind when I made the decision to go VR over rebuilding the 20v and for the most part I am on track but I reckon I have easily spent more than I set out to do as I ended up replacing sundry items like the thermostat housing and bolts/seals for dayz which all add up...

I hadn't planned to do anything other than fit the engine more or less as in NA then accumulate parts over time for the rest of the turbo conversion but tbh I am glad I have done it the way I have...

Hoping to have mine in the engine bay in the next couple of weeks ready for the next list of parts (hoses mainly I think) to get her running...

Excited much... #builtnotbought

<tuffty/>

Tj 0785 likes this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. Tj 0785

Bit of an update or a step backwards I’m not sure! but I have decided to do the work myself which can go one of two ways it could either be a ball ache but a rewarding feeling when it’s actually working knowing I did it or it’s going to be a waste of 10k and a lot off tears, engine stand has been ordered and a little lock up rented, reason being so much things taking priority money wise that it will never get done plus the money spent on the mechanic stripping down and rebuilding the engine can go on getting the head rebuilt

IPG and <tuffty/> like this.
  35. <tuffty/>

Nice one dude... I don't think you will regret it...

Building an engine is not too difficult to be honest and there are enough 'engine' builds on here to refer to for ideas...

Hopefully some of the more specific info on the VR swap can be found in IanP's and my thread...

On that note... the wiring is a little interesting... there are some subtle differences in the loom between the S3 and the TT... I haven't finished with that as yet so won't ramble on about it but will stick the info up in my build thread once I am sure its all working as expected...

<tuffty/>

IPG likes this.
  36. IPG

IPG Registered User

This is great news! Also just take your time and ask questions and ask for resources! Plenty to go around :)

Tj 0785 likes this.
  37. Tj 0785

No progress on the engine work but think I’ve turned into a hoarder I’ve bought Sunroof trims, all new grills and surrounds for the front bumper
    ,one of which I was told was the last one and a new rear bumper insert from Audi, things that are likely to be discontinued soon if they already haven’t , also have bought warrens 19”bimoto alloys which I need to collect next week and get my **** in gear I think I’ve dragged it on long enough no excuse just lack off time

Attached Files:

IPG, hydro s3, S3AMJ and 1 other person like this.
  38. IPG

IPG Registered User

love those wheels!

Tj 0785 likes this.
  39. <tuffty/>

They are as heavy as a heavy thing mind... like putting another S3 in each corner of your S3... but they doo look the biz fo sho ;)

<tuffty/>

40. Tj 0785

Picked up my new wheels from warren, they look at better when they are in front of you, also continued spending money on stuff I don’t need like a parcel shelf, I only bought it because I’d not seen one with the blind, don’t even know why it needs one tbh,
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  41. Tj 0785

[​IMG]
    @IanPG so I’m not filling @<tuffty/> page with **** , does this look like a drp box then? If it’s even possible to tell from that, I can have this for fairly cheap maybe too cheap really

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  42. <tuffty/>

If its not from a car later than 2003 then it will most likely be a tapered bearing type box... I don't know if there were boxes other than the DRP on early 4-mo's but if its not got a black cap on the main shaft part of the box then it should be a DRP...

The R32 box (left) and the 4-Motion DRP box (right)...
    [​IMG]

Later 4-mo's got the FZM box which is a variant of the R32 GQV box and both are the black cap type box

<tuffty/>

43. Tj 0785

Right ok I can see the difference now at £100 the drp box is 2-3 times the cost