1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My S3 project

Daniel M Nov 17, 2018

1. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Thought I would start a thread to keep track of any changes and modifications to my recently acquired S3.

To give you a little bit of background info I was looking for a run about initially due to my Seat Leon FR playing up and giving me more and more issues. Ideally I wanted an estate to ferry my Rottweiler around but that all changed.

I still have the Leon and use it as my daily until I finally come to sell it. After seeing my S3 I had to buy it. Always wanted an 8L S3 after having an 8L 1.9 TDi sport a while back.

So the car is silver on an 03 plate however it does have 142k on it but the condition of it is very good indeed. It has a receipt for a remap by one of the previous owners who used to be a member on here, also has a jr air filter, bilstein b8 shocks with what look to be eibach springs, polybushes and adjustable rear arms.

My plan is to tidy up the car to begin with as some areas do need attention which is to be expected. I will also add some modern touches like so many others have. It won’t be a hugely impressive thread like some of the big/hybrid turbo builds on here but is a nice way for me to track the car through my ownership.

Areas that need attention are as follows..

Missing door blade clips both doors
    Headlight restoration
    Small dent in tailgate
    Exhaust has been badly repaired
    Lumbar support on drivers seat
    Small area of lacquer peel on front bumper and under o/s rear window
    Small bubbles on o/s arch and above both door blades
    Engine undertray missing
    Coolant/washer bottle cover missing
    Fuel filter
    Drop links - done
    CV boot

As you can see none are that major apart from the potential rust but, I think the car will be with me for some time so things will be covered eventually.

Now for some photos

Day after I bought it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the awful headlight tint

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Next was to paint the calipers silver to freshen them up. Not the best photos but you get the idea.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Also gave the backbox a polish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plasti-dipped the grille surround
    [​IMG]

Added LED interior bulbs

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also added LED side light and number plate bulbs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Using the pit at work today to do the drop links and attempt the fuel filter however, it was a right ******* and one clip just wouldn’t come off so that will have to wait until next week.

[​IMG]

As you can see the old drop links were well past it haha

[​IMG]

Looking at one of these as I don’t like pillar mounted gauges

[​IMG]

Also been messing with rear light colours...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have ordered a short shifter which I will hopefully have fitted next weekend.

5. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

Standard all day long for me silver definitely the best colour for the s3 but I’m biased

6. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Yeah I’m leaning towards leaving them as they are as they go well with the silver

7. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Fitted my short shifter this afternoon. Bargain for £37 and makes loads of difference. Have one in my Leon too....

Only issue is I’m struggling to get 6th unless I push the gear knob over quite hard. Will need to make a slight adjustment tomorrow as I can’t be bothered now.

[​IMG]

Also fitted some pedal covers last night.
    [​IMG]

Excuse the mats they’re going to be changed when I can find some replacements that I like.

8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

In fairness I don't think I have ever seen a short shift kit that even made gear selection easy..

Every VAG I have driven with one fitted has a gear change issue of some description :/

<tuffty/>

9. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Haha yeah, I had to make adjustments on the Leon when that was fitted years ago. All part of the fun though....

10. steve l

steve l New Member

Nice looking car mate

Daniel M likes this.
  11. imz

imz Member

Is there a guide on how to make the adjustments mate to tighten it up? Thanks

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Pedrosousa likes this.
  14. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Spent most of yesterday morning putting my new private reg on. Also found some annoying defects underneath the old plate.
    Previous owner has drilled new holes in the tailgate meaning I’ve had to keep the screws in place either side of the new shorter plate.
    Will get them filled an sorted eventually.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

I haven’t done the front yet as that’s even worse than the rear. It must have around 10 holes drilled in the bumper so my plan is to get the rest of the old sticky pads off and get some silver wrap to put behind the new plate to cover the mess up until I get the car sprayed.

Will be getting washed today or tomorrow depending on how long it takes me to clean the front bumper up.

15. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

Let me know how this goes, as since fitting the dogbone spacer all the gear changes are a little notchier and 6th is a slow careful change.

16. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

I haven’t adjusted it yet as the car doesn’t get used much. It is however getting slightly better each time I use it but like yours it’s also a very careful change most of the time.

If I get chance tomorrow or over the weekend I’ll have a play about as it is annoying me.

17. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Fitted the front plate today after finally getting all the sticky off the plate recess.

Needs tidying up at either end of the plate but will do for now. Can’t make my mind up on the front plate yet but it will grow on me.

Also it looks slightly off centre but has been measured and is bang on in the middle of the recess.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Wash will be done tomorrow.

18. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Gave the S3 a good clean today along with the wife’s Ibiza. Was gonna do my Leon too but couldn’t be bothered doing 3 cars at once haha.

The S3 scrubs up well for a 15 year old car. I had to use my Poorboys Natty Wax (black one for dark cars) as I haven’t bought any for lighter coloured cars yet however, I think it’s worked a treat on the silver.

Pictures don’t really do it justice.

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaning it for the first time since I bought it has uncovered a few minor defects but they are to be expected at this age and nothing that wouldn’t have been picked up eventually. All bodywork related and will get done when I have the minor rust bubbles sorted.

Also need to move the tailpipes up and closer to the bumper as they are a little low for my liking. Hopefully it will just be a worn exhaust rubber/hanger.

19. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Nice treat for the S3 today.

Bought some 19” OZ Superleggera’s and fitted all but one as typically the last one had a defective spigot ring.

Had these wheels on 3 of my previous cars in the past. They are my absolute favourites and are very light.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A Banging Donk and Pedrosousa like this.
  20. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

The smallest of updates today an something I’ve been meaning to do since I bought the car but managed to fit some silvertec indicator bulbs to rid the car of the orange in the lights.

Very small upgrade but makes a decent difference in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’ve also bought a proper bung to delete the rear wiper. Usually I like having one but the car only gets used once a week so won’t really miss it plus it should tidy the rear up a tad.

21. Daniel M

Daniel M Active Member

Haven’t done a great deal to the S3. It’s going to be a slow burner this project.
    Reason is I’m busy with work, then in my spare time trying to sort my house out and also currently breaking a V6 TT.

Anyway.....the S3 passed it’s MOT the beginning of August with no advisories. Not surprised as it’s only done just over 1000 miles in a year.

Today I’ve removed the OZ Superleggera’s to have them refurbished. Should have them back on Tuesday.

The EML is currently on and the car has an intermittent boosting issue. Sometimes the car will pull as normal then others is like its in limp mode and no boost. Need to scan it but I think my copy of VCDS is playing up as it’s not reading faults properly....

Also managed to pick up some 20 & 30mm spacers all for £25. When swapping back to the standard Avus wheels I thought I would fit them an see what they were like.

Surprisingly the rears are actually spot on but the fronts do protrude around 5mm too much. So they will be taken off and sold for some 15mm ones.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Should be buying a Milltek cat back next week too.

The S3 will be taken off the road in the next month or so to begin a strip down and renewing of a lot of parts and to get the wings sorted.

I will update that as I go though.

hydro s3 and ADs3 like this.