Would I be right in assuming a “screamer” pipe is there to allow the turbo to spool up quicker when open by allowing the exhaust gasses to escape quicker

No, because the wastegate would only open once the desired boost has been reached. A screamer pipe is just a cheap way of getting the exhaust gases out of the wastegate rather than using a dump pipe into the downpipe.

Tuffty that was sort of what I thought on the screamer pipe that it was going to be loud but wanted to find out more about it. I had to buy it all as a package as the seller wouldn't split it and I wanted the turbo. The manifold and screamer pipe will be sold on and a proper manifold from badger 5's site will be the way I go.
I was under the impression the new GTX series spooled up quicker than the GT series and had better internals. I think it will do for what I want it for. There will be no track days just some heavy foot driving now and again.

People have different opinions on turbos, abit like tyres. I was happy with the spool on my gtx28. To be honest you learn to drive it in the powerband your car has if you want warp speed anyway. What hotside does it have?

Why can't you fabricate an extension from screamer to downpipe? I think prawn has this.

Reactions: ADs3
Stuart B I wasn't sure if that was possible to do with the manifold and screamer pipe. I thought it would need to be a new manifold just. If it can be fabricated to go into the manifold then that is some thing I'll defo look into cheers.
JonneyDerv it's .63 exhaust housing with T3 flange and 3" v band outlet. Yes it's a 1.8.

The screamer pipe goes from the waste gate (manifold) to the atmosphere, it will just need routing to the down pipe and a flange being made to come off the Downpipe.

The position of it all will ultimately determine whether it can be routed into the exhaust. You’ll have to do a mock build when the engine is on a stand

Reactions: hydro s3
So I got some new parts today. Happy enough with the turbo and waste gate but by the looks of it I'll be getting a better manifold and the lines look ok aswell.
My next plan is to get the manifold and downpipe and then I think I'll be ready to get it left in to get fitted and what ever fabrication is needed.
Am I right in thinking that the only fabrication needed will be where the charge pipe is and the tip?
20180903 153130
20180903 153142 20180903 153316 20180903 153427

Same manifold I used.

Fab wise you’ll need TIP, charge pipe, downpipe and imo new lines, I wouldn’t be using all those connections for lines.

Has the previous owner polished that compressor cover??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks very similar

Attachments

• CF07CED3-B09D-417E-89FA-2C38390B662B.png
    CF07CED3-B09D-417E-89FA-2C38390B662B.png
    625.1 KB · Views: 283
No it wasn't sold as a genuine Garrett he told me I was built by a company called RAC Turbo but with Garrett internals.
So the manifold is ok to use then Superkarl that's good to know.
Is the downpipe something I can buy or will it need to be fabricated to the car because I saw on tsr-performance a downpipe for the car but don't know if there a good fit or just to leave it to be fabricated at the time.

No it wasn't sold as a genuine Garrett he told me I was built by a company called RAC Turbo but with Garrett internals.
So the manifold is ok to use then Superkarl that's good to know.
Is the downpipe something I can buy or will it need to be fabricated to the car because I saw on tsr-performance a downpipe for the car but don't know if there a good fit or just to leave it to be fabricated at the time.

It’s ok to use, but just ok, it’s not optimal.

TSR downpipe is made for the TSR manifold, can’t be used with any other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitted a new flat bottom steering wheel today. Wish I had did it ages ago it feels a lot better driving it.
I disconnected the battery when I was doing it and when I connected it up again and went out for a drive the car seemed to be more alive than it was before.
It didn't seem slow by any means when I was out in it yesterday but it just was a bit more responsive after the battery was reconnected.20180909 175151

Reactions: Stuart B and JonnyDerv
Thanks but I resent spending any money on the Octavia vrs I’ve got at the moment, hate it lol

is that a replica flat bottom steering wheel? I thought they had buttons..

go on, tell us "about" how much it was? I recall horror stories from TJ regarding 600 when he was looking into it (probably was supply and fit)

Reactions: Kakatk
is that a replica flat bottom steering wheel? I thought they had buttons..

go on, tell us "about" how much it was? I recall horror stories from TJ regarding 600 when he was looking into it (probably was supply and fit)
Not his is a standard 8l wheel modified around £280 mine is from an 2013 a5 £450 for wheel and airbag (fitted by me) and around 450+vat to get buttons working not including Bluetooth module (150-200) if done by a retro fit company but most wont do it unless they supply the airbag and harness for “safety” reasons ha only people who I can get To do it is hazzy dayz not sure if that because they made the harness for the airbag but they’re down south and my cars off the road

Last edited:
Tj0785 is correct it doesn't have the buttons on it as I wouldn't spend that amount of money on a steering wheel. I can just as easy reach out to the radio and turn it up or change station. It was only £250 so a cheap easy visual mod.

mine is from an 2013 a5 £450 for wheel and airbag (fitted by me) and around 450+vat to get buttons working not including Bluetooth module (150-200)

A steering wheel that cost over £1k? Damn man you must really be into your steering wheels.

That was my thinking. I'm not in mine enough to want to spend that kind of money on a steering wheel. How ever I am thinking of doing this head unit change to the sat nav one.

A steering wheel that cost over £1k? Damn man you must really be into your steering wheels.

I like my creature comforts, just bringing the car up to date I could save £300 if I figure out the wiring myself but still need to but the 8p steering module

It’s fair enough mate, I just couldn’t believe it cost nearly £450 + vat and then a further 150-200 to sort out some buttons and bluetooth, maybe I should become a automotive electrician lol

To be fair, this is a modification i'll end up doing at some point. it dramatically changes the car in my opinion. It looks nice to start with, the steering will more than likely feel nicer to hold onto while going for a sprint around some windy roads than the standard one. Volume up and down I use all the time and answering calls on my works car via the steering wheel. I think the problem is getting used to those features on newer / other cars, you start to miss them going back to a car that doesn't have them. This is a modification worth doing if you can do it yourself to bring the cost down.

Yeah 450+Vat just Is to get the buttons,working crazy when you think about it and then you need the rnse and Bluetooth,a mic and it still won’t play music from your phone haha
Hazzy days charge £1100 supply n fit but that’s not the rnse or Bluetooth

For me I’d just be thinking what I could have done with that money to go faster :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: hydro s3 and S3AMJ
That’s next on the list, just think how many points you save for not using your phone

I done it the other way round thought I couldn’t justify spending thousands rebuilding the engine before the holiday and end up spending over 1k on a stereo, Bluetooth and steering wheel do you know how many rebuilt engines have come up for sale on here for less than that haha

Last edited:
Reactions: S3AMJ
I don’t it the other way round thought I couldn’t justify spending thousands rebuilding the engine before the holiday and end up spending over 1knon a stereo, Bluetooth and steering wheel do you know how many rebuilt engines have come up for sale on here for less than that haha
We will all get to where we want to be in the end haha.

Reactions: hydro s3
I have nearly spent 1k on pokemon go in game credit over the last 2 years

Got them aswell
Spent £500 on brakes for a car that’s not moved in 2 years no wonder the misses hates that car

Reactions: Rainbird
I have the reverse effect, the misses cant wait for me to get the car on the road so she can have a cut in it?! under my supervision of course haha. But then she doesn't know how much I'm spending on it.