Haven't had anything to post lately but today my car finally went into the garage to get its internals all sorted so hopefully a couple weeks it will be at the running in stage.
While I was dropping the car of one of the mechanics asked what my plans at the end where and I said putting on a better turbo hybrid probably. He said i should try GP Turbos as they might help.
So on way home I called in and spoke to him and he asked why my car was getting the rebuild. So I told him bout the rods being **** over 300 torque and the valves heads droppng of and exhaust guides.
He said that that was all **** and he could get me a hybrid turbo that would be a direct replacement and do 420bhp on standard internals and all I would need would be better injectors and a fmic. He said the hybrid would be £600 all in. Obviously I said I'd be in touch but no chance I will.
Now I'm just wondering is there even a hybrid on the market that can do them kind of numbers?
I know the aet turbo that badger 5 sells is marketed at 340-3800hp but how many would have got the top figure of 380hp? I have saw two on face book one got 326hp the other got 345hp.
Now I'm not on here saying anything bad about anyone's hardware just asking a question on hybrids in general.

Prob has your car confused with an 8p which would be understandable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine bought a k04-064 off the owner of that van after he decided to go with the AET unit instead. I'd take the headline figures with a pinch of salt as Alan Jeffery is great with Jap stuff, but has a tendancy to be a little optimistic with power readings, and I've heard very few good reports of 1.8t tuning from him.

Helped a local chap recently rectify a number of boost issues he was having following a visit to Alan's workshop - he'd gone in with an iffy N75 according to the printed fault codes, and had somehow left with a £600 bill, a new map and an MBC instead, which was plumbed in with sketchy, aquarium-type hose. Scary stuff!

Reactions: ADs3
Thanks for the replys. More or less what I had thought of what he said.
What superkarl has said would make a bit more sense of what he said.
S3AMJ I have the water meth kit here waiting on the next step in this process 20180522 122338

Reactions: ADs3 and S3AMJ
Thanks for the replys. More or less what I had thought of what he said.
What superkarl has said would make a bit more sense of what he said.
S3AMJ I have the water meth kit here waiting on the next step in this process View attachment 157318

Nice bud, looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Reactions: hydro s3
Looking some advice on how I should run in the engine when I get it back.
I should be getting it back Wednesday or Friday.
I have read people saying that you should drive it hard giving it full boost threw all the gears and five it a hard run in.
I have also read people saying to only part load the engine and change gear before 4k revs and take it easy when running in.
Who has done what and what would people suggest the best way to run and engine in?
Thanks

Don't rev it out... keep it below 4 ish k if you can but use high gear loaded acceleration to build boost and short shift etc... idea is to force the rings out to bed them in from the cylinder pressure...

Unplug N75 while you are doing it, actuator pressure will be enough... after the first 50miles drop the oil and filter... carry on with mineral oil for another 150 miles or so... drop again then repeat until the engine has done 500 odd miles, you can up the revs if you need to but I'd keep it sensible (no racing)... at 500 miles drop and replace with whatever oil you want to use going forward...

Bulk of the running in will be done in the first 50 miles... this is the important bit... mineral oil and filters are cheap so no reason to drop the oil and filter often...

This is the process I used on my engine... it appears to be holding together so far :)

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty for that advice. It will come in very handy. When I disconnect the N79 will it throw up warning light and if so will it go out itself when I plug it back in?

shouldn't throw a CEL but will throw an open circuit fault code

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3
IMG 20180626 WA0004
IMG 20180622 WA0000
So finally got the car back and everything seemed fine driving down the road. Then all of a sudden at a set of light's about after 5 mins driving it started to not idle right. The revs dropped as if it was about to stall then they would jump up to 1000 rpm and flutter up and down.
I pulled over and lifted the bonnet to see if there was a hose of maybe but everthing seemed to be in it's right place
I then noticed smoke comimg out of the catch can filter where it vents to atmosphere. The battery no is not holding it's charge either but I'm thinking cause it sat for to long the battery is now knackered and a new one is needed.
There is no eml but a mate is bringing his reader tomorrow to see if there is anything.
I've looked on the internet and some people are saying cam position sensor could need replacing.

Car is going back in to the garage tomorrow to get the problem fixed. It has put up a code p0341 powertrain camshaft sensor bank 1. I also have a small oil leak which I need fixed aswell.

Now that I'm running in the engine I have started thinking of the next step which is what turbo to go with.
I still want the car to be a daily driver and low down torque and go. I don't want one that only starts boosting at 4000 revs so a GT 3071 and bigger would be no good.
The ones in thinking are
1. The hybrid package Badger 5 sells.
That seems the easiest option as it a pretty easy bolt on.
2. A GT2871 with a .63 hot side and a manifold from Badger 5. This option seems like there will have to be a bit of fabrication done.
Would any one know what the cost roughly of option 2 for parts and fitting
Could be?

What injectors would I be best to use for the badger5 package?
Would the Bosch 550cc injectors do?
Or would the Bosch 630cc be any better.

I’ve been advised 630cc buddy

Looking through your thread i see you've the aem wmi kit, have you installed it yet? Looking at using the aem kit myself. Just wanted to know how easy or hard it is to do if doing yourself
Cheers

S3AMJ thanks mate I look into getting then.
ADs3 I'm not doing it myself. I'm going to be leaving it in to get that fitted so I know it installed properly.
I'm needing a new gasket for the oil return on the sump. Would any one know if this is the correct part number
058145757C.

Reactions: S3AMJ
No worries that's fair enough, given how flammable meth is that's probably not a bad idea lol. There's probably some info here on it or someone who can shed some light so I'll look into it more when I come to that phase.

I'm needing a new gasket for the oil return on the sump. Would any one know if this is the correct part number
058145757C.
IMG 6469

IMG 6470

I think the seal which is marked No24 is what you need, the other is from the turbo oil drain

I took my bumper of to change the washer bottle as it was leaking and while I was there I took of the hose from the charge pipe to intercooler pipe and saw this bit of oil in it.
Is that some thing I should be worried about. That's the first time I've checked them since getting the intercooler on over a year ago.
I cleaned them out and I will check it again in a few weeks and see how it is.
20180805 173042

I think it's normal to have a small amount of oil collect in the ic & pipework but not excessive amounts.
When i removed the original twin ic set up for the front mount they had oil in them too, my car doesn't use any amount of oil to cause concern so I think it's normal what you have.
Do you have a catch can fitted?

I had some in my twin intercoolers and the hard cross member pipe, I just removed from my TT too.

ADs3 I do have a catch can fitted but that was done after the fmic was installed.
I have cleaned out the intercooler pipes and emptied the catch can. The engine has been rebuilt so in a month or so I'll check everything again and sè what's what.
I don't expect to find anything and since Stuart B and ADs3 have said it's normal I'll leave it at that.

I just wondered if it's because the PCV system would normally breath back into the tip & allow it to accumulate in the pipes & i/c
but if you've a catch can fitted it should stop anything making it's way back into the system is my understanding.

Mines vented back to the tip, did think about blanking the pipe on the tip & just putting a filter on the cans outlet but didn't know if there's any real benefit or point to it to be honest, I know some people run them like this.

It'd be good if someone could give a definitive answer on how & why the reasons are for the oil accumulating, just because I've said I think it's normal doesn't mean it is hydro lol

Ha yeah not going to hold you to it
My catch can vents to atmosphere. I did that as I heard it helps keep a healthy engine.
I've looked on line and the some are saying it's coming from the turbo seals leaking.
That's on my list to get a new one any way it just might have to be sooner if the oil comes back.

I might be able to get a pair of 312mm Porsche Boxter brembo calipers,carriers,braided lines and bolts.
Will they be a direct fit and fit being my standard 17" wheels?
Also what discs and pads would be the go to favourite for these?
The car is just a daily with some spirited occasional driving. No track days.

Are screamer pipes any good? Also how much louder would it be? I might be buying a system that has one and I've been wondering should I sell the manifold and screamer pipe on if its to noisy and get a manifold from badger 5's site.

Are screamer pipes any good? Also how much louder would it be? I might be buying a system that has one and I've been wondering should I sell the manifold and screamer pipe on if its to noisy and get a manifold from badger 5's site.
Don’t even entertain the option.
Imagine your car without any exhaust at all

Reactions: Rainbird
Definitely going bt then:icon thumright:

Would it not be possible to reroute the screamer pipe back into the down pipe?

Is the turbo gtx or gt?

Definitely going bt then:icon thumright:

Would it not be possible to reroute the screamer pipe back into the down pipe?

Is the turbo gtx or gt?

Yep it’s called a dump pipe and that’s what pretty much everyone with BT VAG set ups have. To be honest you tend to find screamer pipes (in my experience) more often on BT Vauxhall and Ford builds. No disrespect to Vauxhall or Ford fans but they tend to be built on the cheap and thus screamer pipes are more common.

ADs3 I have decided to go BT cause I'm thinking that if I just went hybrid I'd eventually get bored of the 350hp.or whatever it would have made.
I think I've done enough internal work to support a BT build. It's a gtx3076 not a gt3076. I was told the GTX spool better and are newer and has ceramic ball bearings instead of just ball bearings. I didn't know that it was possible just to route it back to manifold I thought I would need to get a new manifold.
JonneyDerv are you saying that most of the BT builds have these screamer pipes and do you think I should just go with it or change It?
Superkarl did say that it will sound like a car with no exhaust.

You’ll hear differing opinion on GTX spool. Bill and Tuffty don’t rate them. I thought mine was fine but I didn’t have anything to compare it with.

No definitely don’t do a screamer pipe. I was saying the only real reason you’d have a screamer pipe is because for some reason, you like to deafen pedestrians and think it sounds good or because it’s cheaper. Screamer pipes are common on Vauxhall turbo builds as they tend to be done on the cheap. A lot of the fast Vauxhall guys tend to be the “I want as much power as cheaply as possible”. I know people in Vauxhall circles and most would agree with me, they tend to attract certain buyers, a la vxr.

Your build is good enough for a bt set up depending on what power you plan to run though of course.

If you can get this set up for a good price I'd go for it & just get someone to do the fabrication work with regards to the screamer pipe.........or you could just hold out for the right turbo kit to become available

If you decide against it drop me a pm of where you've seen it as I might be interested in it if the price is right:friendly wink:

ADs3 I have decided to go BT cause I'm thinking that if I just went hybrid I'd eventually get bored of the 350hp.or whatever it would have made.
I think I've done enough internal work to support a BT build. It's a gtx3076 not a gt3076. I was told the GTX spool better and are newer and has ceramic ball bearings instead of just ball bearings. I didn't know that it was possible just to route it back to manifold I thought I would need to get a new manifold.
JonneyDerv are you saying that most of the BT builds have these screamer pipes and do you think I should just go with it or change It?
Superkarl did say that it will sound like a car with no exhaust.
GTX don't spool quicker in my experience over GT equivalents... the newer Gen2 are 'better' but still not as good as the billet wheel AET GT3076 bill uses on builds...

All recent GT turbos have metal cage bearing packs unlike my older GT35 thats still using the previous plastic cage pack... only really an issue if you are flat out everywhere like in circuit racing or track days...

Screamer pipes are the most obnoxious thing in the world... they make a decent sounding engine/exhaust sound utter *****... hatefull things :)

There is no reason in the world why you can't join this into the exhaust at some point

<tuffty/>

Would I be right in assuming a “screamer” pipe is there to allow the turbo to spool up quicker when open by allowing the exhaust gasses to escape quicker. Is there a call for this on anything smaller for example a hybrid turbo. A friend of mine had one on his RX7, he said it was the worst thing he fitted. If I remember rightly he was running something like a T78 Turbo, he ended up running back into the downpipe.

Would I be right in assuming a “screamer” pipe is there to allow the turbo to spool up quicker when open by allowing the exhaust gasses to escape quicker. Is there a call for this on anything smaller for example a hybrid turbo. A friend of mine had one on his RX7, he said it was the worst thing he fitted. If I remember rightly he was running something like a T78 Turbo, he ended up running back into the downpipe.

Nope... its for someone too lazy to pipe it properly into the exhaust... its the outlet of the external wastegate so has no affect on spool as the wastegate will be shut..

<tuffty/>