My S3 is very tail happy in the wet on roundabouts

funnyclub

Reaction score
Hey lads I have noticed my S3 is very tail happy when going round sharp bends or roundabouts.
Today on the way home from work I was going round a big roundabout I wasnt driving the car hard but as the weight was pushing to the left hand side of the car the backend started stepping out.
So the next roundabout I got to I went abit harder and again the back end stepped out and I was major sideways drifting the car round the roundabout. It was almost like I had lifted the handbrake it stepped out that much.

Anyone experience this? I have had evos and scoobies before that wouldnt even step out like that driving the same way. I wouldnt mind if I was driving in hard and running big power that was inducing a power slide but I was just driving normally.

I've forgotten what it's like to drive in the wet... :laugh:

Cheers,

Mine gets excited when I push her. Silly bitch give her less power/ see if that fixes your problem :) lol

Id again say poor or low tread tyres or worn suspension/bushes on the rear. Might be worth just jacking the car up and seeing if you notice anything weeping/very worn.

Can't say I've ever noticed my back end kick out in the wet, especially with normal driving, the car will understeer long before the back would step out, I reckon it could be more than a tyre issue, doesn't sound right to me...

I'd get the car checked underneath

Haha ya it must be the tyres. I mean yesterday I was doing proper nose to the roundabout drifts lol I will be honest it was fun but something that could catch the wife out if she was driving it.

yup i had one budget tyre on mine a few months back...changed both for pirelli rossos and not happend since :)

Tyres or it may be worth checking the rear springs as my car was tail happy then found out they were both snapped..

My tyres are Pirelli P6000 and I have read some reviews that they are shocking in the wet. I am still going to get the rear suspension checked though just incase.

Sounds good. I might get myself a set of those!

I'd check tyre tread and pressures plus tracking or other suspension items, sounds great but not right!! They're usually boring safe handlers!

Mine did the same.
I found out i had two cracked springs and cracked ARB mount. so droped it on a set of AP coilys, R32 ARB's and forge tie bars.
still done it after all that so change all 4 tyres to VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA. now its sweet as a nut.

I'd say get springs checked but get new tyres.

hmmm crap tyres then definately a sure fire way to ruin a car :p

Not managed it in mine but I have good tyres and new b8's and h&r's. Doesnt seem right.

Just a question from a complete novice..

why would faulty suspension cause the tail to step out? I can understand why tyres would..

as faulty suspension can change the geometery of it and any unwanted movement in any parts could cause it to break away

You could swap your front and rear tyres and see if it still happens , I guess your front have more tread hence rear wheel skid not front wheel skid, which do you prefure ;o)