My S3 Build Thread.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Well i've had the S3 for 6 months now and have been doing little bits and bats here and there but nothing major (nothig that really cost's lol) but i've now started buying various parts, the latest parts being:

Powerflex dogbone mount
Sfs Tip
Toyosport oil catch tank
Forge tubo hose.

Here's a pic of some of the stuff:

I've got loads lined up but thats when money allows, hopefully fmic in august :respekt:.
Anyway with my car being the APY block it's slightly harder to get parts i.e. a TIP which is quite unfair even though the BAM/AMK TIP looks slightly different to the APY TIP it isnt, people think because the Apy one has afew extra bends it wont fit but it will, it's just acase of afew hoses been jigged about (By the way mines a non esp model). So ive bought a Sfs and will be fitting it shortly so keep and eye but thats not for a few week. Today though i fitted the oil catch tank which on the s3 is a right tight fit, it's only fixed in place for now as im going to plumb it in when i fit the tip, so here's some pics, enjoy.

looking good matey....now you just have to connect the furkin thing :eek:D

I know, im dreading it, ash's looked so easy but the s3 is just so tight to work on, need some silicone 90's mi thinks.
Btw thanks for the battery idea tim

no worries mate, seems logical given the space there and nice and easy to get to when you wana drain the thing...... my only query was where we talked about fitting the 90's straight out of the rocker cover..... the two pipes that come off there already (one to the TIP the other to the block)....my guess is the pipe to the block is a return feed for the oil so you 'may' want to try and fit these pipes after that or risk the catch tank filling up quicker.....

ok thick question what exactly doe the oilcathcer tank do?

Catch oil that would normaly be dumped into the Tip, can lose you boost aswel as filling the IC up.

Good point tim, will have to seriously look at the layout, was too warm last night haha, still dont know wether or not to block the vacuum intake into the inlet manifold, i know its ok on ash's a3 but i know how many sensors the damn s3 has lol.

your engine builds up air pressure, this is released through a breather pipe that sends the air back into the TIP......effectively recycling it.... the catch tank will stop any oil that feeds through along with filtering the air thats been put back into the turbo

Dani my neighbour reckons im better of blocking it then putting a breather after the catch tank..... it must be there for a reason

If you block it off you will build pressure in the crankcase...not a great idea.

So instead of connecting back into the tip tim your saying but a breather filter on and block the tip off?

So your saying rich if i block the inlet manifold line it will cause pressure build up?

Yeah thats what my neighbour suggested mate, putting the breather on will stop pressure build up in the head..... not sure bout this method though cos im thinking Audi recirc it for a reason

be good to hear what some of the pro's like Badger5/ JBS think

Well i was a bit concerend about changing the design so until someone like the experts say ovawise. Im going to keep the original setup and just re-route it from the pcv into the catch tank then back to the tip, simple.

dont think you'll go far wrong there mate..... tis prob best to wack it on the last connection before it goes back to TIP..... just fittings a bit more of an ****

Tbh thats made fitting for me alot easier and alot cheaper haha. Ill try and get some pics up of the way im going todo it over the weekend, be easier to disguse then.

I'm no expert but id have thought Audi recirc the air from the head to keep emissions down and i doubt its a great idea to have fuel vapors released under the bonnet or in to the atmosphere

yep ollie that has been mentioned before...then you have to ask if the bad air is best being pushed back into your turbo via the TIP.....id guess no

crossed wires here guys, the line to the inlet mani is a vacuum line regardless a3/s3. This basically helps the system draw the vapours from the engine. If like me you choose to block it off, you wont build pressure in the crankcase. (i think richa3turbo means if you are blocking the breather at the rocker cover.)

If you think logically (i try to) when the engine is on boost the said line to the inlet will be pressurised, pushing the oil vapours up through the pcv system back into the tip. When the engine is not on boost, ie idling or at low load(cruising motorways ect.) that line becomes a vacuum source (as the engine is drawing are in through the inlet) allowing the vapours to enter the inlet before it evens gets near the tip or in our case the catch tank.

I know what im trying to say in my head its just hard to explain in words. if you could see the pcture in my head you'd understand lol.

I'm no expert but id have thought Audi recirc the air from the head to keep emissions down and i doubt its a great idea to have fuel vapors released under the bonnet or in to the atmosphere

no fuel vapours mate just dirty oily air that is caused by blow by gasses from the pistons and oil vapours created emulsification that occurs when the oil is at operating temp.

me too haha

the pipe comes out of the rocker cover and goes to a big twisty pipe that connects to the bottom of the engine and the TIP - on this pipe is a non return valve so tip air cannot enter the crank......

Eh! On mine from the bottom upwards it goes, pipe that comes of near the oil filter then a T piece that branch's off to the inlet manifold, from the same T piece it goes up and into the top/side of the engine and from the same pipe there's a rubber T piece that goes into the plastic valve that's connected to the tip.

good news dan yours is the same as mine,

have you two got the same engine codes? ****** s3 owners!

just read your sigs, is the bam a later engine than an apy? not sure if audi changed the layout of the pipes?

Yeah the apy was the first engine audi put in the s3 then the amk then the bam, there is some difference's between the apy and bam.

Well thought i'd update my build thread with some pics of my lastest handy work, there's some up close pics of the n75 vallve aswell for jojo:

The oil catch tank layout will need altering at some point to accommodate the DV relocation kit and the pcv valve may end up getting fitted on the actual tip but that's next week's project.

Last edited:
Well finally fitted the SFS upper boost hoses and DV relocation kit.
Wasnt really that happy with SFS this time round, had to buy a extra 25mm elbow off them due to the oil catch tank being in the road so i had to cut down the DV off shoot pipe, that cost me £11.50 just for a f***ing elbow so that put me in a mood and when all was fitted the clips they has sent to secure the vacuum pipe onto the DV valve and also onto the exsisting vacuum pipe where about a mile too big so out cam the tie wraps.
Dont expect any real gains from fitting this apart from prolonging the DV life span or if you have the forge one like me then itll stop the grease frying inside and causing it to stick.
Anyway heres some pics:

Thanks mucka but its ur fault its so damn packed under the hood now haha.
Btw anyone thinking about fitting a catch tank take a look on seatcupra.net.

Have you felt any differance in the fitment youve done?? Looks ALOT more hosing etc,so does the feel/drive feel any better/worse???

Pete....

The TIP seemed to transform the car for the better, quicker pick up and held power better throught the rev range and also held it longer on the top end.
Fitting the Upper boost hoses and DV relocation kit actualy affeceted performance, not on the top end but on the bottom end, it took away from the quicker pick up that the TIP had acheived, personaly though i think thats down to the size of the new hoses, they seemed to be larger in diameter then the OEM ones so i think i will benefit once remapped etc.

Ok so this thread hasnt been touched for a while and never got off the ground. That was mainly due to me getting ran into twice last october in the space of a week and both drivers claiming it wasnt their fault, tossers, this off course froze my ncb's and with me only been 20 went i got ran into wasnt good, my reneweal cam round in january this year and the insurance raped me senselss add to that me losing my job it didnt leave much chance for the s3.

Anyway things have changed and the builds back on.

So my plans have changed for the car and i will be posting pics up shortly, but the first thing on the cards is the suspension. Im planning on replacing everything, all bushes nuts you name it.

Ive already got a set of nearly new KW Variant 2 coilovers along with loads more bits and bats.

Watch this space.

only just read your build, its good keep it coming.
Did you buy you kw kit from pistonheads? if so, you beat me to it!!

Yes mate :). That kit ended up costing me £60 in missing parts that i had to buy from KW direct and also resulted in a nice dent on the rear drivers side of my car, i was not a happy chappy.

What's your projected bhp and 0-60 time once you have finished all the mod's?

Unsure yet mate, at first i wanted 300bhp but now im thinking more of 350-400bhp. Why you ask?

Also got a lot to update on this thread, just not go round to it yet lol.