Excellent work mate. Does it matter that the bearings yous had weren't the same was it just a OCD moment?Will these one your helping to build be like your own? Ur running a gt3076 aren't you? As a turbo how would you rate it power wise top end and what is it like at normal town driving. I'm asking cause I've been offered a gtx3076 and was just looking some info.

Excellent work mate. Does it matter that the bearings yous had weren't the same was it just a OCD moment?Will these one your helping to build be like your own? Ur running a gt3076 aren't you? As a turbo how would you rate it power wise top end and what is it like at normal town driving. I'm asking cause I've been offered a gtx3076 and was just looking some info.

No it wouldn’t have mattered mate, just Sams OCD kicking in haha. Build wise it’s going quite a way beyond mine (for now lol) but I’ve still got to strengthen and rebore my bottom end. Personally I love love the billet 3076, it’s perfect mate. Nice and responsive, rapid spool and plenty of power ;) From what I’ve read Bill prefers the gt3076 over the gtx3076 as it spools quicker but either way 3076 is a great turbo for the road :)

Reactions: hydro s3
Lovely stuff. Engine work looks tidy chaps

Reactions: S3 Hilife
Love the clip.........good to see someone's not afraid to have some fun in there pride & joy:respekt:

I had a parcel arrive from the states today. I’ve been quite excited about trying this out lol, sad I know but it should save time diagnosing faults in the future :)

Anyone know what it is? I’m guessing most of you do ;)

EA686FFC 7191 4D53 AB7A 9224629CDC16

Steve

Reactions: Grundy and S3JACKSON
Something I think every Audi A3/S3 8L owner should have in there inventory I like the style, very militarised Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha yes, it’s full of ammo really for venting anger when the car breaks down ;)

Haha a bit more expensive than my lump hammer then! How much was it if you don’t mind me asking mate?

I think it worked out around £110 after import fees. You could make one for around half that tbh with a bit of 20awg Nichrome wire making sure the resistance is correct, a sealable metal container plus a few other little bits lol

Reactions: Grundy
That’s not too bad really! I was expecting more. Does look the part

We made a little bit more progress on Sams engine today, that’s the bottom end complete now and looking great :)

After fitting all the rings in the correct orientations on the pistons and the new ACL race rod bearings in place we carefully slid each one into the bores and added the plastigauge under the rod bearings as we’d previously done with the crank mains, torqued the bolts down on the rod caps and then removed again to measure the clearances. Getting the caps off proved challenging as they’re an extremely tight fit but eventually got them all seperated to find all are within spec, phew

1D6E13EE 1C91 4122 86B8 C76F7B6D0238

E631DDAC 36B5 4713 B3B4 4EDA7149C245

4C1A6BCB 1B0C 42F7 9592 BFBE42E7480A

20090CA7 16EF 426C 9ACD 836946E8BC73

AC1B1BE0 87AC 4505 939E 570051EE0DD0

So after a good clean up and lube the caps were refitted and torqued down again for the final time

Next up we fitted the new OE oil pump, chain and tensioner, along with new pickup pipe, and then tapped in the new crank seal and fitted the front main seal using a little sump sealer

298DEAFC 7D13 45B5 92CE D551855D4ADE

Then the not so fun bit, IE crank gear and ARP bolt. That thing is seemed impossible to get the full 1/4 turn. We ended up bending the breaker bar and crank holding tool lol. Tried everything but couldn’t quite get that full 1/4 turn so I think we need to get some thicker steel tube to use as an extension for leverage and one for the holding tool so we’ll have to try again next time

F1F9D284 F9B4 4783 9C09 D4603E24E2D7

Lastly we bolted on the sump which needed a little bit of grinding on one edge to clear the ARP studs, this is normal. Thankfully it all moves nice and smoothly which was a relief ;)

Next job is to finish the head and get it fitted and timed up :)

FD60ED48 0533 4108 B2DE 278130521E81

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: ADs3, S3JACKSON, ToughlilT and 3 others
Fancied a change so swapped out the black Audi rings on the front grill for a nice new chrome one, the old chrome one was looking a little tatty. It’s amazing how different the car looks just by changing the colour of the rings. Not sure which I prefer tbh but I do like the all black grill look personally :)

View attachment 161459

There’s one thing that’s been bugging me
since I fitted the Zinram cat back. The only thing I think let’s it down is the tail pipes look a bit lost in the bumper recess. From a distance it doesn’t look like there’s an exhaust fitted lol

See what I mean
View attachment 161460

I dropped the tail pipe off at the fabrication shop I use along with a pair of 3” polished stainless trims that I’d cut down to size and had them welded on

View attachment 161461

View attachment 161462

I think it looks much better now and you can actually tell there’s something in the recess :)

View attachment 161463

I need to put the chrome rings back on the tailgate aswell now as it looks a bit odd lol

Steve

Looks lovely now with the bigger, longer tailpipes. I thought the exact same thing, would be nice for them to colour code with the chrome rings at the back. The noticed you'd said just that!

Looks lovely now with the bigger, longer tailpipes. I thought the exact same thing, would be nice for them to colour code with the chrome rings at the back. The noticed you'd said just that!

Thanks Michael :icon thumright: I’m really pleased with how they turned out although they do take some effort to keep clean. I might get round to fitting that rear badge aswell one of these days :)

Steve

Next weekends job has arrived :)

149EB69D 0626 4681 8343 BA196FB7E6B2

I’m not really looking forward to doing this job and I’m still trying to find out how to get the clearance on the exhaust cam to replace the chain but I’ll muddle through it somehow ;) hopefully without damaging anything lol

I’m helping my mate Sam today finish putting his head together and fit it to the block and try and get it all timed up. The valve train is already assembled so it should hopefully be straight forward. I’m hoping it might give me an idea of how to replace my cam chain too

Reactions: S3JACKSON
Did you order the parts online? There's bits and bobs of gaskets i need.

As usual things didn’t go to plan today lol. I was hoping to get a good start on some jobs today but the weather had other ideas. My plan was to replace my VVT tensioner and hopefully replace the chain too. Removed all the upper boost pipes and intake, removed the oil feed to the turbo and loosened the bolts on the compressor cover to get clearance to remove the cam cover. I’d only managed to get the cam cover removed and set cylinder #1 to physical TDC which lines up with the cam marker.

4287624C 137E 4D3A 9277 B0B350509413

FF442C7A D03E 41BD 967F 5D79A4797D20

Is this normal for the belt to sit so far over? It is flush with the outer edge of the pulley but just thought I’d ask :)

2703520D 758C 41B8 9268 6AF402D89F68

It started chucking it down so I didn’t get chance to visually check the crank pully mark but the flywheel mark wasn’t visible so I’ll have to leave it now until next weekend and check it again then :(

Plugs don’t look too good
7CD68C5F 011A 4DFB B8D6 58829E519B74

Looks like oil fouling but I also suspect the recent boost leaks might have had some influence too as it must have been running rich for a while. The middle cam cover gasket has been leaking into all four plugs so the top of the threads and porcelain is wet. These BKR9EIX plugs were fitted beginning of July so around 3.5 months old and not done many miles at all, the BKR8EIX that came out looked quite normal to me and had been in there around 8 months or so

(BKR8EIX removed 1st July)
052723D6 60CA 4F32 A56C FF783028D0B0

Not wanting it to have been a wasted day and as the cover was off and looking very tatty I decided to give it a quick coat of paint. I’d recently done one in wrinkle black which looked really good so I slapped some of that on. Just needed a good clean and a quick prep and prime as the thick wrinkle paint hides most defects ;)

Before:
B6CCA900 7453 4A2A 939C 5655853EC99E

Looks muck better now :)
4212F933 79C7 4DA6 B086 42144C652DF6

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3
Rocker cover looks good mate. What is the red plate on top.of ur rocker cover? Is it a plate so you can use different coil packs. Will u just go back to a new set of BKR81EX or go for a new set of the BKR9E1X?

Rocker cover looks good mate. What is the red plate on top.of ur rocker cover? Is it a plate so you can use different coil packs. Will u just go back to a new set of BKR81EX or go for a new set of the BKR9E1X?
Thanks mate, should neaten it up a little :) the red plate is just a spacer made by ECS Tuning. It’s just to fill the gap between the cover and the TFSI coilpacks as they sit a little higher than the originals. Tbh they’re well overpriced for what they are and you can get OE spacers for just a few quid

Not sure on the plugs yet tbh, I think I’ll probably order some 8’s as it ran fine with those, saying that though it ran perfectly well with 9’s in. I always thought it seemed to prefere the 9’s lol

Last edited:
Made some really good progress with @Grundy on his engine this morning. Started off with new cam seals and put the cams in the vice to torque the new bolts and laid them in position along with the new cam tensioner and gaskets

F540C8A3 E470 44D9 97A0 883F2F129B40

ARP exhaust cam bolt (55ft/lb with red locktite) Inlet cam needs new bolt and torqued to 24Nm
EC92CEC9 2F69 487E 81A4 3F0B1863D772

Lubed the important bits where the cams sit in the head, we’d already lubed the valve lifters last week
677D59E0 83A2 49C8 BD71 305D0F2D4D58

Cams in position with the alignment notches facing upwards. Set the cam gears in the chain with 16 rollers between the marks
4FDBBC28 4C29 4E2D A8C0 A016698F5912

04CC8212 0D3F 4E83 ABE9 023F7865B0CF

Refitted the cam caps and gradually worked all the bolts down then followed the torque sequence starting with caps 3, 4, 2, 5 working outwards and then 1 and finally the long end cover which needs a little gasket sealer underneath. Torqued the bolts down to 10Nm tightening in a opposite cross pattern
8A59EC92 2C10 4C13 9115 58CED785D913

ARP head studs fitted using ARP lube on threads
670EB73D F975 4EE5 A881 0F9D2E8DF479

That’s the head fitted :) Made sure cylinder #1 was at TDC and cams aligned before mating. The ARP stud kit needs torquing to 80ft/lb in three equal steps using the ARP lube
E8122D54 776F 44E9 B9A4 21F1DEB84767

Timing belt fitted, timing marks checked. All looks good :icon thumright:
7037B428 BD76 4CCB AE03 363AAA1253D9

Test fitted the exhaust manifold, inlet and wastegate
71749BC0 91A1 4C12 BE3D EBD3343918AD

7C8A2039 8726 43F4 9F5C B5927EC07583

1.5” runners, it’s huge
120CA066 5D37 412D 9639 93A25A011D1A

Precision Turbo wastegate
ACF0DC1D F0C0 4ECD A54A 4B05FAC74066

Awesome looking turbo oil and water lines arrived from Badger5 :)
35BA53F0 AD0A 4E41 A976 2D2DFB0EA43B

I know it’s not my engine build but I think I’m more exited about this than Sam is, haha. I’m just glad I’m not the one footing the bill ;) Next is the turbo purchase, this will be coming from AET Turbos and the manifold is now going away for ceramic coating before it’s all fitted. We still need to install the meth kit, fuel pumps, AEM wideband gauge and a few other things before it goes away for exhaust fabrication and then it’s running in time and then down to Badger5 for mapping :) I think I should drive it back Sam @Grundy ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3, S3AMJ and Grundy
cool write - up - how on earth do you manage to keep track on working on 2 builds at the same time? I struggle to spend more than a couple of hours on mine without have to buy another tool :D :D

what is the purpose of the adjustable cam pully? have you ever adjusted it?

cool write - up - how on earth do you manage to keep track on working on 2 builds at the same time? I struggle to spend more than a couple of hours on mine without have to buy another tool :D :D

what is the purpose of the adjustable cam pully? have you ever adjusted it?

Haha, mines not in the build phase atm. It’s just ongoing maintenance so far ;)

yeah it’s quite difficult split between working on mine, helping Sam and also spending time with the family so I don’t always get chance to do as much I’d like but we’re getting there :)

The vernier pulley allows for small adjustment in cam timing so the cams can be fine tuned and no that job’s entrusted to Bill, haha

Oh I see, so Bill's racing cams are slightly offset or similar - amazing.

Oh I see, so Bill's racing cams are slightly offset or similar - amazing.
Vernier is more to compensate for the height lost from decking the block and skimming the head in this case... Bills cams are designed to be drop in...

<tuffty/>

Vernier is more to compensate for the height lost from decking the block and skimming the head in this case... Bills cams are designed to be drop in...

<tuffty/>

Ahh, I see thanks for clearing that up :) I remember Bill saying he’d make adjustments when it goes back for the stroker bottom end doing

@<tuffty/> what would you recommend as the ideal compression ratio for a stroker piston on my setup, baring in mind my block’s been decked and head’s skimmed? I think I’m keeping the AET3076 (for a while at least lol) I love the rapid spool and it’s capable of producing around 560bhp. I’m going to start collecting parts and this will be the first purchase so I can source a block to have rebored (and probably decked if needed)

Thanks

I run 9.5:1... not sure what Bill's preference is these days but 9.5:1 works for me

<tuffty/>

I did do quite an in depth write up (with plenty of images) of how I stripped and cleaned both the controller internals and pump, if it’s of any interest to anyone I’ll make a post when I get a few minutes

Great car and the best colour

Is the offer of putting your write up still open? I'm sure it would be be beneficial to others.

Reactions: tomjol and S3 Hilife
Great car and the best colour

Is the offer of putting your write up still open? I'm sure it would be be beneficial to others.
Thank you

Yes I can do that, I’ll get it put together as soon as I’ve got the car sorted and get a little free time :)

Steve

Reactions: vanilla_ice and tomjol
Hi so here you said you put the camshaft into a vice to undo / do-up cam pulley bolt, my neighbour suggested the same. Did you just protect the cam lobes with card board?

The head is last on my list so I Just want to do it right. Did you actually need to change the inlet can bolt as there is no load on it?

Screenshot 20180928 081055 Chrome

Hi so here you said you put the camshaft into a vice to undo / do-up cam pulley bolt, my neighbour suggested the same. Did you just protect the cam lobes with card board?

The head is last on my list so I Just want to do it right. Did you actually need to change the inlet can bolt as there is no load on it?

View attachment 166411

Hi Stuart, yeah we wrapped the cams with rags and then covered with cardboard placed in a vice with wood over the clamping pieces.

I read somewhere (maybe Elsawin) that the inlet cam bolt must be replaced so we just replaced for piece of mind

Could someone please have a look at these pictures and tell me if they look right. With the crank in line at TDC, the flywheel notch is visible but the cam marker isn’t quite aligned somehow. With the cam aligned correctly the crank and fly are out. I’m a bit puzzled and don’t want to proceed until I know it’s okay

2F6F3358 3CC4 47BB BCA8 C5D328BF1A66

2565789B 7414 4552 BABD C41F1F30F0EC

F56190D9 A081 4A82 B65A 0631B19BB6DB