My S3 8P build progress so far...

atkins14

Reaction score
Website
www.peteratkins.co.uk
Having had my S3 8P for a couple months now, I have had a few minor modifications...

The first thing that annoyed me was not having my ipod display track names, as my original RNS-e unit was the Mk1 with a dension unit, I changed that out for the MKII and AMI unit!

Did the standard interior LED upgrade to a nice white, Added the LED DRL's with the resistor, but made the removable light cover still fully removable with bullet connectors...

Pretty bright cree LED's...

After breaking my armrest clip I decided to make my own improved version cutting out a sheet of carbon fibre and sandwiching the 2 layers together to have the shinny outer on both sides with the addition of neodymium magnets. Seems to do the job nicely.

Thought I would break up the interior by adding some custom floor mats, thought I would go bright red with different piping. Might not be to everyones taste but since they were relatively cheap I thought I would take the gamble to see how they suited.

Well thought it was now time to get the car remapped. Took the car over to Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. It appears the car had some sort of map already and came out at 282.6 bhp.

However a couple hours later Rick was done with a new and improved map! Making almost 305 bhp with a lot better torque... Car certainly pulls a lot better lower down and I am very happy with the results for the time being!

Trying to keep the costs down on this build for the time being after just buying the car, however I am sure further down the line I will add some new additions... :)

Last edited:
Looking very nice :thumbs up:

I'm a bit unsure on the red mats though :ambivalence: don't know if i like them or not.

Looking very nice :thumbs up:

I'm a bit unsure on the red mats though :ambivalence: don't know if i like them or not.

Thanks! Yes I know, neither am I. Think they have grown on me a bit since I first got them... but guess they are different and when they wear out or further down the line I can always change them for something else... :thumbs up:

Nice! Have you got a pic of the DRL's on? Or were they the cree LEDs for your parking lights?

Thanks Guys...

Where did you get the mats from buddy?

I got the custom mats from: http://www.cyberspares.co.uk/list.php?cat=9&page=1

Pretty reasonably priced and several options you can choose from, mine are the Deluxe carpet... and only cost me £34! for the whole set.

Nice! Have you got a pic of the DRL's on? Or were they the cree LEDs for your parking lights?

Both of my pictures with the lights on is actually the DRL's! This is a link to the Cree LEDs I got, although I got the resistors as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281112776357?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Reactions: mister.c. and slizza786
Thanks Guys...

I got the custom mats from: http://www.cyberspares.co.uk/list.php?cat=9&page=1

Pretty reasonably priced and several options you can choose from, mine are the Deluxe carpet... and only cost me £34! for the whole set.

Both of my pictures with the lights on is actually the DRL's! This is a link to the Cree LEDs I got, although I got the resistors as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281112776357?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Really nice thanks for the link! Have you thought of dipping parts of your car?

Really nice thanks for the link! Have you thought of dipping parts of your car?

No probs, There would be a lot of things I would like to do to the car, however something like that is lower down on my list of priorities.... just had a full service, MOT, now I have car tax and insurance this month... :weary:.

However you got ideas of dipping parts?

No probs, There would be a lot of things I would like to do to the car, however something like that is lower down on my list of priorities.... just had a full service, MOT, now I have car tax and insurance this month... :weary:.

However you got ideas of dipping parts?
Check this thread mate: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?threads/171151/

You could matte some stuff out if you want, smoke your tail lights or make your rear view mirror black so from the outside front view of the car it'll compliment the whole colour of the car (I'm in the process of doing this to mine)

Hmmm are the DRL bulbs easy to fit? maybe they would freshen up the front of my car too....?

Hmmm are the DRL bulbs easy to fit? maybe they would freshen up the front of my car too....?

Sorry only saw this reply now! The bulbs are easy enough to fit! as they are just a replacement, however fitting the resistor is a bit more fiddly as the cables are quite short inside to piggyback with. I definitely think they freshen up the front though!

Well it has been a busy bank holiday weekend! Didn't have anything planned so thought I would refurbish my slightly curbed alloys and go for a colour change as well as painting the callipers!

Wheels to start with:

After sanding and flatting back the wheels, coat of primer!

After a bit more flatting and primer... Anthracite paint was now to go on!

PU clear coat was then applied and the final results... came out pretty well! Also juggled painting the callipers red in-between doing all this...

Reactions: grchmason
Very nice mate like the red callipers

Reactions: atkins14
Having had my S3 8P for a couple months now, I have had a few minor modifications...

After breaking my armrest clip I decided to make my own improved version cutting out a sheet of carbon fibre and sandwiching the 2 layers together to have the shinny outer on both sides with the addition of neodymium magnets. Seems to do the job nicely.

This is genius - so simple! Mine is broken and been using a couple bits of velcro for now but isn't really strong enough! You got any more info on how you put this together?

Atkins, did you use aerosols for the anthracite too? How did the finish come off? Smooth like OEM?

This is genius - so simple! Mine is broken and been using a couple bits of velcro for now but isn't really strong enough! You got any more info on how you put this together?

Well I purchased a real 1mm A5 sheet of Carbon Fibre and then cut to my desired shape with a dremmel, I did 2 pieces so I could have the nice finished on both sides so these were sandwiched and glued together... I used Sikaflex as I can get that from work, basically a very strong flexible silicone adhesive type, I then glued the carbon fibre to the top of the armrest and left to dry. Then I purchased some rectangular neodymium magnets which has adhesive already on one side, and simply just lined them up and stuck it on. Quite simple and does the job!

Atkins, did you use aerosols for the anthracite too? How did the finish come off? Smooth like OEM?

Yes I used a specific halfords wheel spray for the Anthracite!

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...s/halfords-wheel-paint-anthracite-spray-500ml

and then the recommended PU heavy duty lacquer

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...e-paints/halfords-heavy-duty-pu-lacquer-500ml

The finish has come out great! Very smooth and just like OEM, just have to make sure you build up a few layers of lacquer and get an even coverage... then once it has hardened, I used some polish to make sure I had a smooth finish, topped with paint sealant and wax...

Well I purchased a real 1mm A5 sheet of Carbon Fibre and then cut to my desired shape with a dremmel, I did 2 pieces so I could have the nice finished on both sides so these were sandwiched and glued together... I used Sikaflex as I can get that from work, basically a very strong flexible silicone adhesive type, I then glued the carbon fibre to the top of the armrest and left to dry. Then I purchased some rectangular neodymium magnets which has adhesive already on one side, and simply just lined them up and stuck it on. Quite simple and does the job!

Yes I used a specific halfords wheel spray for the Anthracite!

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...s/halfords-wheel-paint-anthracite-spray-500ml

and then the recommended PU heavy duty lacquer

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...e-paints/halfords-heavy-duty-pu-lacquer-500ml

The finish has come out great! Very smooth and just like OEM, just have to make sure you build up a few layers of lacquer and get an even coverage... then once it has hardened, I used some polish to make sure I had a smooth finish, topped with paint sealant and wax...
I must give it a go, I one tried to do a refub job but I didn't sand down the primer after it had dried, did you do that? And I had some ****** silver + laquer in one can which made the finish terrible. Did you use any guide to do this?

Awesome! cheers. -

BTW - you have some personal info on your photobucket and I don't know if you want to be giving it out!

I must give it a go, I one tried to do a refub job but I didn't sand down the primer after it had dried, did you do that? And I had some ****** silver + laquer in one can which made the finish terrible. Did you use any guide to do this?

Yes I did where it was needed, lightly went over the primer in 1200 grit, thats the most important surface to ensure a smooth coat of paint. I tend to find that the halfords paints are pretty good! As long as you stick to the same brand otherwise some sprays can react if they are different. Didn't use any guides, just from personal experience...

Sand and flatten original paint --> Degrease (Panel Wipe) A few coats of primer --> leave to dry then flatten with fine sandpaper --> clean off dust and degrease --> Add a few coats of desired colour paint till even coverage--> leave for at least 12 hours --> May require slight fine sanding with 1200 grit but not necessary if its smooth --> then a few coats of lacquer... there are a few guides online though regarding spraying but this is how I did it...

Awesome! cheers. -

BTW - you have some personal info on your photobucket and I don't know if you want to be giving it out!

Yep sorted haha! Thanks!

Yes I did where it was needed, lightly went over the primer in 1200 grit, thats the most important surface to ensure a smooth coat of paint. I tend to find that the halfords paints are pretty good! As long as you stick to the same brand otherwise some sprays can react if they are different. Didn't use any guides, just from personal experience...

Sand and flatten original paint --> Degrease (Panel Wipe) A few coats of primer --> leave to dry then flatten with fine sandpaper --> clean off dust and degrease --> Add a few coats of desired colour paint till even coverage--> leave for at least 12 hours --> May require slight fine sanding with 1200 grit but not necessary if its smooth --> then a few coats of lacquer... there are a few guides online though regarding spraying but this is how I did it...

Yep sorted haha! Thanks!
Brilliant will be giving this a try!

Reactions: atkins14