My RS3 needs new gearbox!!!!

Sticks

Reaction score
help.. my car is in audi roughly every 6-8 weeks since ownership for various things and recalls, I noted over a year ago sticky 2nd/3rd gear and a noise whilst in those gears, finally after loads of gearbox software updates which didn't ever cure the problem audi replaced the metatronic box? took it out last week and I was getting fish tailing on acceleration and sticking 2nd / 3rd gear to the point it would not come out of 2nd in s mode and I had to go into manual paddle mode to get it to change, took it back to audi and to my surprise they said it needs a new gearbox!!!!

the car is under 3 years old with 20k on the clock, ive never even launched it!!!!! and for a massive part like the gearbox to go shocked me.

what worries me is the warranty is out in 6 months so what then , to be honest the grief ive had plus this new gearbox has put me off my car, has anyone else had these issues or issues regarding big part replacement near the end of warranty,

gutted.

I've heard of loads of failures of the dsg box to be honest.
It's a shame they don't offer a manual for the RS3, I'd have been tempted if they did. I just don't trust the reliability of the dsg considering how much it is to replace out of warranty!

Hopefully it was just a defective box and you're getting a brand new one courtesy of audi so I'd be happy with that

I'm assuming you have not had the car since new, maybe YOU have never launched it but nothing to say the previous owner didn't have a poorly written map put on the car & launched it pretty much everyday & knew that a problem was there but didn't want to take it to audi as any re-mapping voids the warranty.

i know this scenario is unlikely but YOU NEVER KNOW

I'm assuming you have not had the car since new, maybe YOU have never launched it but nothing to say the previous owner didn't have a poorly written map put on the car & launched it pretty much everyday & knew that a problem was there but didn't want to take it to audi as any re-mapping voids the warranty.

i know this scenario is unlikely but YOU NEVER KNOW

No car bought from new so its only been in my hands and audis of corse

Mechanical devices are built by people and made of materials that suffer wear and tear. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but the number of gearbox failures I've heard of is tiny, so the chance of suffering a second failure is teeny weeny.

Ask Audi of they will give you a year's warranty on the replaced component to provide peace of mind. Failing that, I have bought a year's extended warranty for my RS3 and it only cost £420.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and boozyjay
I noted over a year ago sticky 2nd/3rd gear and a noise whilst in those gears, finally after loads of gearbox software updates which didn't ever cure the problem audi replaced the metatronic box? took it out last week and I was getting fish tailing on acceleration and sticking 2nd / 3rd gear to the point it would not come out of 2nd in s mode and I had to go into manual paddle mode to get it to change, took it back to audi and to my surprise they said it needs a new gearbox!!!!

interesting

first up i suspect since you have reported the problem in warranty it will be resolved by audi (eventually) even if you warranty expires as diagnosis/remedial works are ongoing for an existing warranty case.

i have had a pretty rare intermittent fault on my car, on cornering hard in manual mode and red line shifting the box in second to third the car goes into neutral (2 displayed not N) and will not change gear no matter what mode you select or pedals / levers are used, you have to wait 10-30 seconds and then the gearbox comes back to you, no traction lights etc are ever displayed and my car has also never been launched.

software and a metatronics unit have not cured it but its very hard to diagnose as it happens so rarely

i had the sense thou to tick the 5 year warranty option when i bought it ;)

Last edited:
interesting

first up i suspect since you have reported the problem in warranty it will be resolved by audi (eventually) even if you warranty expires as diagnosis/remedial works are ongoing for an existing warranty case.

i have had a pretty rare intermittent fault on my car, on cornering hard in manual mode and red line shifting the box in second to third the car goes into neutral (2 displayed not N) and will not change gear no matter what mode you select or pedals / levers are used, you have to wait 10-30 seconds and then the gearbox comes back to you, no traction lights etc are ever displayed and my car has also never been launched.

software and a metatronics unit have not cured it but its very hard to diagnose as it happens so rarely

I didn't get the option to have 5 years as mine was a cancelled order, so because of your issues what has audi done ? because even with a 5 year warranty a lemon is still a lemon if you see what im saying

I didn't get the option to have 5 years as mine was a cancelled order, so because of your issues what has audi done ? because even with a 5 year warranty a lemon is still a lemon if you see what im saying

flashed the box and changed the tronic unit

its very hard for them to diagnose such an infrequent problem and you cant really expect their techs to drive it like i do on the road, i dont think its bad enough to warrant demanding a new box, if it gets worse then i will maybe push a bit, i also doubt it would affect anyone else as most ppl do not use the 4WD to drive around corners

i may try to catch it on my go pro sometime, but i suspect it maybe software related, hitting a set of paramaters that it can not deal with or generates an error and it has to wait for a reset

flashed the box and changed the tronic unit

its very hard for them to diagnose such an infrequent problem and you cant really expect their techs to drive it like i do on the road, i dont think its bad enough to warrant demanding a new box, if it gets worse then i will maybe push a bit, i also doubt it would affect anyone else as most ppl do not use the 4WD to drive around corners

i may try to catch it on my go pro sometime, but i suspect it maybe software related, hitting a set of paramaters that it can not deal with or generates an error and it has to wait for a reset

after the first blown engine problem and now this id be killing people at audi if it was me.

interesting

A similar problem was experienced by a lot of Mk 6 Golf R drivers with their DSG gearboxes ... the common denominator seemed to be cornering. It happened so rarely though we put it down to just a DSG quirk. I had it about three times in 3 years. The general opinion was that something overheated momentarily during cornering and a DSG failsafe cut in for about 10-20 seconds.

A similar problem was experienced by a lot of Mk 6 Golf R drivers with their DSG gearboxes ... the common denominator seemed to be cornering. It happened so rarely though we put it down to just a DSG quirk. I had it about three times in 3 years. The general opinion was that something overheated momentarily during cornering and a DSG failsafe cut in for about 10-20 seconds.

Not fit for purpose comes to mind

after the first blown engine problem and now this id be killing people at audi if it was me.
I was pretty gutted with the problems i had with the first one but Audi where superb and went out of there way to put it right, so I am happy with the outcome The gearbox quirk is so infrequent that I can add it to the list of things that gives the car character, I doubt it would do it for anyone else, if it becomes more frequent I will get Audi to investigate. I love the car but i appreciate it is a skunkworks car, I would rather they built it and have the odd quirk than they stuck to making dull reliable production models.

very interesting, we wondered if it was down to the gear box oil all being forced of some component under load

I was pretty gutted with the problems i had with the first one but Audi where superb and went out of there way to put it right, so I am happy with the outcome The gearbox quirk is so infrequent that I can add it to the list of things that gives the car character, I doubt it would do it for anyone else, if it becomes more frequent I will get Audi to investigate. I love the car but i appreciate it is a skunkworks car, I would rather they built it and have the odd quirk than they stuck to making dull reliable production models.

lol theres quirks and theres quirks, if its dangerous like yours going into neutral and leaving you with no power especially on corners roundabouts etc personally imo its an accident waiting to happen. why don't all the other rs models which I wouldn't class as dull have these issues? when I picked it up when first released I drove 1 mile and it went crazy all the lights came on and it wouldn't start and from then on its been in audi approx every 6 weeks , I don't know why these cars have all these problems at low miles on the clock maybe they were rushed out of the factory or god knows.i loved my rs3 but now I have no confidence in the car and the fun has been sucked out but that's my opinion im sure others will be different but if you had the amount of visits ive had maybe others would feel the same, Even at the moment im in a audi curtosy car for frig sake!!!!

audi will be getting it tomorrow!!!

lol theres quirks and theres quirks, if its dangerous like yours going into neutral and leaving you with no power especially on corners roundabouts etc personally imo its an accident waiting to happen. why don't all the other rs models which I wouldn't class as dull have these issues? when I picked it up when first released I drove 1 mile and it went crazy all the lights came on and it wouldn't start and from then on its been in audi approx every 6 weeks , I don't know why these cars have all these problems at low miles on the clock maybe they were rushed out of the factory or god knows.i loved my rs3 but now I have no confidence in the car and the fun has been sucked out but that's my opinion im sure others will be different but if you had the amount of visits ive had maybe others would feel the same, Even at the moment im in a audi curtosy car for frig sake!!!! audi will be getting it tomorrow!!!
my first car spent 60% of its life in the dealership so i know where your coming from :) I drove a M235i and a M4 yesterday ;) The 235i is very well setup and very competent but very dull to drive (its a GT imo) the M4 on the other hand with everything in sport plus was ****** fantastic anybody want an RS3 with no body damage, no mods and 3 years warranty :p

my first car spent 60% of its life in the dealership so i know where your coming from :) I drove a M235i and a M4 yesterday ;) The 235i is very well setup and very competent but very dull to drive (its a GT imo) the M4 on the other hand with everything in sport plus was ****** fantastic anybody want an RS3 with no body damage, no mods and 3 years warranty :p
my box was reset after its service and touch wood it now is behaving perfectly