Q5 My Roof Box Nightmare (pics)

AudiGuyReturns

Reaction score
So my Q5 Sportback is fitted with the manufacturer’s roof bars which only fix to the position shown in the pics as that is where the holes are drilled. I went to Halfords to get a 470L roof box fitted, and it wouldn’t fit as the tailgate would come into contact with the roof box when opening. This is because the bars are positioned so far back. The only cure was to spend £200+ on Halfords roof bars which can be positioned anywhere, and could be put on further forward to avoid the boot. I really didn’t want to do this considering Audi had given me a set of official roof bars for ‘free’. Halfords told me the problem wouldn’t be cured by buying a smaller box either. Is this a design fault? Would Audi’s own brand roof boxes fit this model? Or are the roof bars effectively ornamental only?

Attachments

• 05B042A0-4232-4C00-B609-A9C97B52CA6C.jpeg
    05B042A0-4232-4C00-B609-A9C97B52CA6C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • 664D7572-EF68-4060-9623-E49C0D20A580.jpeg
    664D7572-EF68-4060-9623-E49C0D20A580.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
I had Exodus 470 in gloss black and it is known that, it is a Halfrauds brand. It had 3 anchor fitting points at the front and sliding adjustable ones at the back.
Got it fitted on my A6 C6 Avant on Q5 amended roof bars, in oem anchor points on roof rails. No problemo

Did they tried at Halfords to fit it in the furthest positions? Would it still rub the tailgate?

Found old picture of mine fitted max to the back of the car. You would need to do oposite.
I can see difference in distance between rear roof bar and tailgate on our cars but don't think that would matter, if box fitted as max out to the front as possible on yours.
Your disadvantage would be lower speed you would need to do. Wind blow speed at the front of the overhanging box could just pull it up and off the car.
e75b76b8dd9b91df06ac17f1b1aa8816.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Yeah they had it as far forward as the box would allow and the rear still overhung the tailgate. I’m gonna contact Audi and ask if they sell a compatible one.

Have a look at these to see if they fit 5he bill

Reactions: AudiGuyReturns
I have had a few Q5’s (gen1 and gen2), A6 avant with the OEM bars, as well as most recently a X3 with a Kamei roofbox and had no issues with the standard mounting, as the box had sliding adjusters so you could move fixing forward or back. Would suggest the Halfords one is prob alt very limited in adjustment, and yes, the Audi one would probably be fine as fairly sure the Kamei is the same as the OEM (German brand)

a7ace31fd2202176ab1199f94883a23b.jpg

Got the roofbox from roofbox.co.uk

Yes but the Q5 Sportback is new and likely wouldn’t have made that list yet. I highlighted the list to show it will cause an issue on some models. There seems little reason to be optimistic it won’t remain an issue for mine.

Reactions: Strachan87
As I said above, you want a box that offers decent adjustment. The Kamei I had worked on 4 different vehicles and all were “hatch”

Just being a pedant, not sure its a "nightmare". Not being able to feed your kids, or pay the bills, that's a nightmare. Yours is more a first world curio ;)

Take less stuff, job done! Or maybe buy the practical, less good looking version next time.

Sorry, I know, doesnt solve your problem but honestly in 40 years of driving I have never needed a roof box - although I have never camped. Did do self catering hols in west of France with 2 young kids where we shoehorned everything in footwells and wherever, dog net up in boot so we could load to roof etc. Where there is a will there is a way, unless you have kids in travel systems, then you need a Merc V class to go anywhere....

Reactions: NevMan
Also have a Q5 SPBK, I haven't had the roof bars on myself but I did think when I looked at it the rear mounting point was quite far back. Generally it seems the front bar aligns with the B pillar and the rear bar with the C pillar but the SPBK has a short space between the C pillar and the boot joint.

A box with less rear overhang would work - if they exist, thought I'd seen one from porche but it looks suspiciously like a thule touring rebrand I wouldn't be surprised if the Audi one is the same and fouls against the boot. Though that is one way to dismount it.. let the boot push it off the front of the car...

Just being a pedant, not sure its a "nightmare". Not being able to feed your kids, or pay the bills, that's a nightmare. Yours is more a first world curio ;)

Take less stuff, job done! Or maybe buy the practical, less good looking version next time.

Sorry, I know, doesnt solve your problem but honestly in 40 years of driving I have never needed a roof box - although I have never camped. Did do self catering hols in west of France with 2 young kids where we shoehorned everything in footwells and wherever, dog net up in boot so we could load to roof etc. Where there is a will there is a way, unless you have kids in travel systems, then you need a Merc V class to go anywhere....
OP, if you put the kids on the roof rack do they clash with the boot?

We had a Thule box on the Q5 which had same problem. Redrilled the box mounts and moved it forward a couple of inches and it was fine. I saw the latest Thule one that was sort of same model was adjustable so perhaps some hunting around, or call Roofbox.co.uk as they are ace.

Reactions: Strachan87