My review of APR Stage 2+, Gearbox map and Ecotune

isimpoi

Reaction score
So to start off I've just got APR Stage 2+ and gearbox map from Ecotune Scotland
(Long read warning will be summary at end)

I'll start off with the bad points.

The gearbox map is not worth it in my opinion. It's made the rev's for each gear too high and gear changes are much less frequent. For me a major negative due to running back roads to and from work. Meaning I'll be revving in 4th gear at about 2.5k revs and it won't change up where as before would change up and usually sit between 1.5k and 2k revs. Now this doesn't sound major but has resulted in my mpg dropping down by 4-5 on average. Before I got 33mpg to and from work, now struggling to get 28-29mpg. Changes between gears are quicker tho. Best point about the gearbox map is the launch control, if I could of just got the launch control and left everything else alone I would of certainly done it.

Ecotune... I've heard many good things about them but sadly didn't live to expectations and a big let down. Arrived at 9:15 for my booked in time of 9:30 only for the staff not to show up until 10... first bad point. Second I walked into reception only to be told I'll need to wait since there is a couple people in for diagnostics although I was booked in for 9:30 and they were not booked in at all. Also they failed to tell me that their dyno was not working so didn't get any of the health checks or power printouts to show what's been done to my car and the before and after which is part of the experience of mapping in my opinion. Then I was asked what rev's I wanted my launch control at I said 4.4k revs only for them to put 4 on and I ask them to change it and they said I would need to wait another hour since the guy who did my car is doing someone else's now so just settled for 4k... Also wasn't informed that the APR stage 2+ doesn't come with switchable maps for my car yet it's advertised on their site as one of the main selling points.

So you'd think without a dyno printout, any health checks done on my car I'd get some form of discount... nope. I paid full price and didn't get the full package which I feel is unfair.

APR Stage 2+ engine map... 100% worth it... it truly does turn the car into a monster. Scary how much quicker the car is. I would 100% recommend it.

SUMMARY:

To sum up, Gearbox map not worth it, launch control yes overall gearbox defo not.

Ecotune, poor service and experience but this could of just been a one off but wasn't overall happy with them.

APR's stage 2+ 100% worth it and would recommend it to anyone considering mapping their car.

Hope someone trying to decide what to go for can get some better idea's from reading this

I'd let them know and put it straight to them as you have here .

They didn't do as you asked and I'm sure a happy medium of software could be developed for the gearbox .

Your gearbox should have had launch control as standard... Gearbox map does exactly what it says it does.. Gives you more revs without the gearbox choosing to change up for you.. Out of sport mode you should still be getting decent figures as opposed to sport and dare I say it, you still have a manual option to change when you like..

The dyno... A friend of mine had the exact same scenario when he went to get his RS3 mapped... Problems with running equipment do happen, and you would have been offered to return at a later date to get a power run done, but overall you've got an option not to get it done and return when its fully operational it you felt so strongly about it...

Totally agree that their customer service is very poor! Having been in loads, i've seen nothing to suggest they are great... There are a lot of a$$ kissers that do give them good reviews... And I had the exact same argument with them with regards to switchable maps and the added security option with an apr map and was told to take it up with Apr themselves... Which I found totally p!sh!

Overall summary from me... Totally transforms the car for the better, Ecotune are about the best about (in Scotland), although far from perfect, thats for sure!

Your gearbox should have had launch control as standard... Gearbox map does exactly what it says it does.. Gives you more revs without the gearbox choosing to change up for you.. Out of sport mode you should still be getting decent figures as opposed to sport and dare I say it, you still have a manual option to change when you like..

The dyno... A friend of mine had the exact same scenario when he went to get his RS3 mapped... Problems with running equipment do happen, and you would have been offered to return at a later date to get a power run done, but overall you've got an option not to get it done and return when its fully operational it you felt so strongly about it...

Totally agree that their customer service is very poor! Having been in loads, i've seen nothing to suggest they are great... There are a lot of a$$ kissers that do give them good reviews... And I had the exact same argument with them with regards to switchable maps and the added security option with an apr map and was told to take it up with Apr themselves... Which I found totally p!sh!

Overall summary from me... Totally transforms the car for the better, Ecotune are about the best about (in Scotland), although far from perfect, thats for sure!
Should clarify I mean the upgraded launch control as in upping it to 4k revs. I've actually started driving in manual mode now since I don't like seeing my MPG below 30mpg. I was more under the impression the gearbox map upped the rev limiter, gave better launch control, stopped gears automatically changing down if revs get too low and same with going too high when in manual and quicker changes between gears. I didn't think it would have such an effect on the D mode of the box more sport.

Sadly I wasn't offered anything in terms of returning to get the car dyno'd or anything. They didn't actually address the dyno at all, I simply seen it was it pieces and over heard them on the phone to someone saying it won't be ready this week. It's more the point of if someone was getting their car mapped they'd like to see what's actually been done. If your going to be paying such a substantial amount you'd like to see the results. I live up near Aberdeen so travelling to and from Ecotune is not a viable option. So will have to pay out my own pocket for another company to dyno the car.

Don't get me wrong I love the new found power but feel APR should really list cars that can't get the optional maps/security options. Also this is just my experience with Ecotune and my review. I'm not saying people shouldn't use them at all just sharing my experience. I'd probably give them another try if I were to go for more power.

I may come across as someone who is just negative ranting but I'm just sharing my experience and thoughts on the software for others to possibly learn from and make educated decisions based off. Not trying to as they say "take shots" at Ecotune, just unfortunately had a bad experience there and feel for everyone recommending the gearbox map it's not worth it in my opinion

I'd let them know and put it straight to them as you have here .

They didn't do as you asked and I'm sure a happy medium of software could be developed for the gearbox .
Unfortunately I'm about 3 hours drive away from Ecotune so sadly I can't just pop in by to get it adjusted which is annoying but if I happen to be down that way I may go in by and ask about it as it really has affected my mpg. Even if they left D the way it was and just applied the changes to S and manual mode I'd be happier

Also wasn't informed that the APR stage 2+ doesn't come with switchable maps for my car yet it's advertised on their site as one of the main selling points.
Same for me bud.
Apparently there is a shortage of memory on the Ecu to get all the software on.
I had mine done after reassurance from APR that program switching was in testing for our cars and would be released shortly.
I do feel slightly cheated at paying full price and not getting all the product.
Even so the APR 2+ is great!

Reactions: isimpoi