My Overdue Audi A3 Conversion Thread

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
HI All

I've been part of the forum for a while now, and wanted to share my car(s) with you.

So I'm on my third 2.0 tdi DSG A3 now. I started off with an Akoya silver 3 door model which was pretty basic and then bought a black 3 door DSG s line model. This was fully loaded with the xenons and headlight washers, bose, cruise, bodykit the works. Kept this for 3 years: Pictures:

IMG 0321

Irry0733

and the rear:

IMG 0360

Interior Was nice also....

Picture 008

I think the kit on the car was the vortex. car ran problem free for the three years. then i wanted to get a sportback...but the one i found was an s line without the s line kit.

extras included sat nav, bose and the BBS Wheels which I loved.

IMG 1625

IMG 1674

So the plan always was to go for the S3 face lift. little did i know about the cost.

I got some of my parts on ebay and a bulk of them from TPS. took me a good few months gathering the parts and the day came when i gave the parts for fitting and painting. the bargain for me was the S3 bumper at £140 complete from a breaker in lancashire.

IMG 1751

Heres the conversion itself:

IMG 1701

Car in tatters (not a good site) :

IMG 1711

IMG 1757

New bonnet on...slight damage to the front also repaired. Crash bar and slam panel also fitted. Below brand new wings from TPS

IMG 1758
Rear ready for the new bumper and lights

IMG 1730

All part painted and ready for fitting

IMG 1779

Slowly coming together

IMG 1944

Arrived at the garage one day to see this .... beautiful

IMG 1780 IMG 1781 IMG 1794
Also decided to get the alloys refurbed and painted in titanium grey...

IMG 1783 IMG 1784

Went for some Eibach Sportline springs from GNJ and they fitted a treat.

Wing Mirrors, had the S3 mirrors painted matt silver..

IMG 3556

Also had to go for an after market rear spolier, which i wasnt too happy about but it something I will change at a later date. Side skirts were the cheap fibreglass ones....which i have now replaced with the real S3 side skirts at a hefty cost...however, worth it! final pictures;

IMG 2739 IMG 2417 IMG 2435 IMG 1836

Wasnt too happy with the way the wheels were sitting. So went for a 15mm spacer at the front and 20mm at the back. removed the rubbing screws also but when i have a full car it scrapes. otherwise it is fine :)

Also went out and retro fitted cruise control which i cant live without.

IMG 1990

Initially, i purchased a cheap S3 back box on ebay, and welded the tops on to mine. however, got bored of the way it looked and went ahead with the back box delete. the new tips are bigger and it now sounds awesome.

Originals

IMG 2022

New

IMG 5361

Without spacers:

IMG 2124

Now with

IMG 2409

So a few weeks since it came out...someone did this in a car park...

IMG 2273

Had it repaired and was just glad to drive it for 6 months with no issues. had the gearbox oil done and cleaned it all the time!

Until recently, someone drove into the side of me....

IMG 4658 IMG 4655 IMG 4661

With luck being on my side, i found an s line bumper with PDC holes on ebay for £60 - sold the lower trip for £35 and had it fitted back to new!

SO now ive just waxed it with collinite and waiting for summer so i can drive with my windows down and hear the wooosh from the turbo.

few more pictures:

IMG 3146 IMG 3154 IMG 3885

So Im planning on some full leathers for the interior and a flat bottomed MFSW...and maybe upgrade to some 19" alloys as even though i love the CH's, i am more of a rotar arm man...

Let me know what you guys think....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MattKeating
Actually, ive put two pictures on without the spacers. heres a picture with them IMG 4366

Looks good dude! where did you get your S3 skirts from?

Originals were from poland. Fibre glass. They looked good actually but not exact copies.

The genuine pair came from ebay. Someone was selling a set with end caps and s3 door sills

Looks stunning.

However. Id remove the S3 badge. If its not an S3, dont badge it up to be!

Reactions: Fanboy and Alex C
Looks stunning.

Yes i did create a thread to find an alternative badge to remove the s3 badge. Totally agree with you. I havent badged the back up as s3. Just debadged it.

DS3 (Diesel S3) would be cool....but Citroen already have that lol. Custom badge required for sure. S3D?

DS3 (Diesel S3) would be cool....but Citroen already have that lol. Custom badge required for sure. S3D?

Thats what i labled my car up on a FB group and was like id ****** on their first borns! I personally think S3D is good lol.

Car looks lovely m8! What spacers have you got on?

I would go for "s" badge only if you wanna make it look alike...
But it be honest nobody really cares as it's the car that people look at...

The other day I saw a Porsche boxer with Lamborghini badge... I was die laughing in my car... I was right behind the guy and was very tempted to record a video but didn't wanna risk it... Some people in London specially in south west are stupidly stupid and have no clue of what they have done...

What year did it start out as? I am wanting to do the Facelift S3 Conversion on mine. I have the 2006 Audi A3 S-Line but I believe the 2008 plus is a different fit with the bonnet wings headlight and front bumper. I much prefer the look!

Thats what i labled my car up on a FB group and was like id ****** on their first borns! I personally think S3D is good lol.

Car looks lovely m8! What spacers have you got on?

I got the spacers from lk performance. 15mm at the front and 20mm at back. Not sure on the make.
Lol. S3D sounds ok but i think i will replace with the S only. At some point lol

I would go for "s" badge only if you wanna make it look alike...
But it be honest nobody really cares as it's the car that people look at...

The other day I saw a Porsche boxer with Lamborghini badge... I was die laughing in my car... I was right behind the guy and was very tempted to record a video but didn't wanna risk it... Some people in London specially in south west are stupidly stupid and have no clue of what they have done...

'Stupidly stupid'. Lol thats sums them up! S it is then...

What year did it start out as? I am wanting to do the Facelift S3 Conversion on mine. I have the 2006 Audi A3 S-Line but I believe the 2008 plus is a different fit with the bonnet wings headlight and front bumper. I much prefer the look!

Started out as a 2006. And yes you have to change the job lot. But once youve got all your parts its easy. I opted for genuine parts whether it was tps or ebay. No whole front end business. And i kept receipts for resale

Excellent job mate.... Real nice.... RS3 rotors will look great on that ...

What was the rough cost of your conversion ? Does look good the a3 8p is such a good car to be able to update the look as the body is the same as a 2005 a3 as a 2012 rs3 nothing major to make people think you have a new car not many cars out there that you can do this to without major body surgery

Looks stunning.

Cars looks sweet don't see why you have to remove the badge if its came with a bumper its your car you spent the money and don't let anyone put you down becaz you kept the badge on with their jibba jabba. If you were to put s line bits on your car and badge it as s line moaners will not moan the moment you put s3 bits on and badge it as s3 its a biggie.

Cars looks sweet don't see why you have to remove the badge if its came with a bumper its your car you spent the money and don't let anyone put you down becaz you kept the badge on with their jibba jabba. If you were to put s line bits on your car and badge it as s line moaners will not moan the moment you put s3 bits on and badge it as s3 its a biggie.
I kinda agree if it looks just like a s3 and you don't try and race anyone then leave it it's the people that don't change the look of a car and add badges that annoy me for example a 1.8 vectra with a vxr badge on or a golf with r32 or a 3 series with m3 on it.... At least if your car was parked up nobody would really know

So my 19" RS3 rotars have arrived. 2 x 8.0j et50 and 2 x 8.5j et53.

First thoughts were whether or not these will fit...

So stuck my car into the garage and tried them on.

The 8.0j fit fine. At front and the back. But the 8.5j didnt. Up front they caught the strut and at the back they cleared the struts but caught on the lining. Grrr.

Pic showing clearance on rear shocker. On right is the wheel.

ImageImage

This pic shows the wheel catching at the front of the rear arch

So im probs going to run some spacers to make these work. Unless i find someone to swap the 8.5j.s with....

Spacers on et50 will bring them wayyy out the arch i think :/

Can you not send them back fella? How much did you pay for the reps? i got my 18" TTS from a shop in Manchester and quality is bang on!

Spacers on et50 will bring them wayyy out the arch i think :/

Can you not send them back fella? How much did you pay for the reps? i got my 18" TTS from a shop in Manchester and quality is bang on!

Theyr oem rs3 wheels. Paid a good whack without tyres. Hmm. Bought them off a lad on ebay so no returns unfortunately

Quick update. Did a swap on the rotars with a member on rs3 forum with some wheels and tyres and some £££ my way.

Rotars all ready to go on. Gave them a quick clean

Took a couple of before shots.

And during shots for a comparison between my BBS CH and the rotars.

And the final product

Happy with the look. Car doesnt rub at all unlike my CH with the spacers!

Btw. My CH wheels are up for grabs. Pm for details

Reactions: S3_Jacko
Just wondering what spacers I should use for the front...they 8.0j ET50 19"...lowered with eibach sportlines....

IMG 6835

IMG 6836

hi,

i know this is an old thread but,
can you please tell me how did you fit the wings and align the bonnet.
My mechanic has issues with the above. He says he cant align the wings and the bonnet.

Thanks

Just wondering what spacers I should use for the front...they 8.0j ET50 19"...lowered with eibach sportlines....

View attachment 35262

View attachment 35263

Hey Adam, did you get some spacers in the end?

I think we have a lot in common actually as I have just fitted OEM RS3 Rotors and am thinking of fitting Eibach Sportline lowering springs (currently have Pro) because i need to reduce the gap(s). A few questions for ya please mate:
1) What's the ride like on the Sportlines?
2) What size tyres are you running?
3) Do the wheels scrape the front or rear arches when going over humps and/or if you have people in the back?

Thanks buddy
Donny

Hey dude

The ride is comfy. Cant tell any difference from oem actually id say they were the best lowering springs iv come across.

Tyres im not sure i will have to check.

Initially i had 10mm spacers on the front and 8 at the back. However, with the 19" rotars i preffered it without spacers. It looked on point.

Spacers, long term, give you some problems with bearings etc and i did get some odd noises here and there. Once removed and bearings replaced it was fine mate. Defo recommend sportlines.

Ps. No rubbing without spacers. Removed the bumper screw at back. With spacers had some rubbing with a full car or over big bumps.

Hey dude

The ride is comfy. Cant tell any difference from oem actually id say they were the best lowering springs iv come across.

Tyres im not sure i will have to check.

Initially i had 10mm spacers on the front and 8 at the back. However, with the 19" rotars i preffered it without spacers. It looked on point.

Spacers, long term, give you some problems with bearings etc and i did get some odd noises here and there. Once removed and bearings replaced it was fine mate. Defo recommend sportlines.

Ps. No rubbing without spacers. Removed the bumper screw at back. With spacers had some rubbing with a full car or over big bumps.

Very helpful Adam, cheers.
Be interested to hear what tyres you did have and how many miles the car has done with the standard shocks :)
Thanks again