My next Car my dilema

RedSportback

Reaction score
I currently drive a 140BHp Sport Sportsback, it's my third of this type and i've been delighted with all three. (Apart from I chose DSG with the 2nd which I didn't get on with).

I'm considering changing/ordering a new car within the next couple of months, but to be honest I'm at a loss of what to have.

My budget is around 25k (working out that i'll get a reasonable part ex for mine).

I have a number of choices in mind
1. A3 170BHp Sportback Quattro Sline
2. A4 140BHp SE due for release soon - obviously i've not test driven yet
3. BMW 325d M Sport (Second hand)
4. Volvo V50 D5 180BHp - "R" Design SE Sport.

Now i'm unsure of what to do.

I have had nothing but great service and good deals from my Audi dealer, myself and the dealer get on great. The salesman I deal with is a star and we get on well.

I test drove and came close to buying a 325d M sport within the last two weeks. But the dealer/salesman drove me to distraction. They made me feel as though they were doing me a favour letting me test drive their nice cars. Infact the patronising salesman the first time i asked for a test drive of a BMW D, graciously allowed me to take out a 320d SE, as he thought thats all i would be able to afford. He soon wiped the smile of his face when I went back in and saw a demo 325d M sport and said thats what I want but not from you.

Last week I took out the V50 D5. It was a very nice motor, ticked all the boxes of what I wanted i.e. a fastish derv car. But I had a naggin feeling that after a while I may become bored with it. This probably is the best financial option for me as it comes in at around 24.5k

Due to my employment Volvo will also immeadiatly knock off 7.5% and give free metalic paint......... that the salesman was delighted to say was before any dealer discount I could negotiate.

So any suggestions on other vehciles I could/should consider?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

shame the BM sales guy was a ***** because Id go for that on your list for sure. ;)

Out of those i'd go for the new A4, the D5 is a nice engine but the auto box isn't the best.

i would choose the bmw, but shame the bmw guy was a idiot.

go for a BMW but try and find a Dealer you like. I had the same issue with mine when I was shopping around for a new car. I went to Lexus, Alfa, BMW and Audi. Out of them all I got the feeling that the BMW dealers couldn't be bothered with me as I only wanted a 3 diesel. All the other dealers were great.

I really liked the 325 but there is no way I could put up with the attitude of my closest main dealer.

I've been to another dealer they were much better so who knows.

I considered a 3.0 A4 but they are holding there money so well it's going to be difficult. Also if I went with one of them then I would be looking at 3 years before I would be in a position to change.

I've just ordered a v50 d5 r-design, should be with me in about 6-8 weeks. I currently have an 07 a4 avant spec. edition which i must say is the worst car i've had since an old fiesta. Anyway my recent dealings with audi, alfa and bmw is what drove me back to volvo, these three must employ the worst sales people in the motor industry.

jay07 said:
I've just ordered a v50 d5 r-design, should be with me in about 6-8 weeks. I currently have an 07 a4 avant spec. edition which i must say is the worst car i've had since an old fiesta. Anyway my recent dealings with audi, alfa and bmw is what drove me back to volvo, these three must employ the worst sales people in the motor industry.

I think the V50 uses the same platform as the C30/S40 ?
If so, it should be a good car.

I'll throw in my wild card.
Go look at a used Alpina D3.

I did consider the new A4, but it's feable 143bhp diesel put me clean off.
Performance isn't my god, but I'm damned if I'm going to a slower car, which the A4 would be (heavier than the A3, same power).

Another wildcard would be the Alfa 159Ti, with the 2.2 diesel engine.
Only a lack of a local dealership put me off the Alfa, it's a superb car to look at and drive.
The Ti is the trim to look at, it's gorgeous.
It also comes in a sportwagon version, I think.

Strange isn't it that different areas seem to suffer from different types of sales men.

My local Audi dealer was pretty poor the first couple of times I visited looking for a test drive. Then I spoke with the sales manager and he was great, then I go back to look at the A5 and again the sales staff are awful.

My local Merc dealer is brilliant for both sales and service (although a mate wanred me against using the service centre!) and my local BMW delaer has been brilliant. But when I bought my mini from them in 2003 the sales centre again was terrible! But servicing for both the mini and my BM has been spot on.

Go figure.

But out of your list I think I would opt for the BM. If you go for an A4 it's already goig to be last years model.

J.

marriedblonde said:
Strange isn't it that different areas seem to suffer from different types of sales men.

Hear hear.
TBH, I wouldn't let a spaz salesman deny me the car I wanted anyway.
Once you've got the car, you needn't deal with them again.

Unfortunately salesman often spoil our choices.... You got them like that everywhere. It seems they are doing us a favor...

Having said this the places where I felt less cared for were in VW (in Portugal) and Aberdeen Porsche, their loss I am sure I won't make a difference but I will never spend my money there... Just because you are young they "assume" their cars are just too good or expensive for me...

Superb care and attention from Highland Audi (where I bought my S3), very good e-mail response from Porsche Mayfair in London, Mercedes AMG being great as well.

Anyway in your case I would probably go for the Volvo as you will have a very good deal as you said and you seem to exchange cars very regularly so the "bored" factor if happens would be short term...

Pedro

Are any of the new Merc C-Class in your budget? If so that'd be the car for me. Think they are quite expensive though :(

Out of those I'd probably go for the V50 D5. If the BMW was the coupe I'd of said that, it looks great - the saloon looks a bit bland, boring.

V50 is nice, especially with their superb dolby stereo option.
I looked at a 2.0D S40/V50 before I chose my A3.
The D5 option wasn't available then, but I've driven an XC70 with that engine, and it is great.

bowfer said:
Problem?
If he's looking at a used 325D M-sport, looking at a D3 makes perfect sense.

Not having a dig, but I guessed that you'd suggest it before you did that all ;)

Matt said:
Are any of the new Merc C-Class in your budget? If so that'd be the car for me. Think they are quite expensive though :(

I think even second hand the C class is still quite pricey, but on a par with the BM and Audi.

Someone here has a Sport version in dark grey, looks gorgeous

J.

Our MD is dead against any of us getting Mercs, even if they're priced alongside our other choices (Audi, BMW etc.)
In his opinion, Merc are perceived as being much more expensive than Audi/BMW, so it would invite all sorts of bitchy comments from clients.
FWIW, I didn't even look at the Merc C class.
I don't feel I'm old enough for a Merc, yet.

thats interesting to hear. Our company has 2 pool cars. *ahem* One Audi, one Freelander. The freelander is for visits to council offices and the audi is for other business due to the percieved nature of the cars.

What the director(s) clearly dont know it that a y reg freelander and a 52 plate 1.9tdi A4 both suck when it comes to pool cars which should be less than 3 years old and looked after by the company, so what difference does it make. Most of the staff have better looking cars... ARRGHH! Im gonna stop before this turns into an irrelevant rant!

im 30 and im just not ready for a volvo, maybe in 20years

Well i'm 39 and perhaps am ready, but only a 180BHp D5 version.

Haven't considered the C class as they don't really appeal to me.

There was a new Alpina being rolled out the showroom in the BMW dealer when I was there did look a nice piece of kit.

I'm not going for the last model A4 (unless the g/f lets me buy a used RS4).

As for Alfa neverreally thought of them, and again I know the local dealers is to be honest c***.

Keep the opinions coming though

cheers

Go for the BMW, its a great car, Ive got a 335D and its very refined, oh and fast

The 325D, actually has the 3.0D engine in a de-tuned state, and with a remap, these see 280BHP all day long, which as you can imagine, will make it a flying machine.

No not yet.

I have an extended test drive in the V50 either tuesday or friday depending on when the salesman can come out with me. I hope he doesn't get car sick!

Have just had a phone call from my Audi contact and he's booked me in for a 30 min drive of the new 2.0TDi on friday afternoon, so that will give me some idea of that.

Am slightly concerned about the residuals of the BMW and the Volvo if honest. I'll have to keep this car probably three years, that woulld make the BMW (as I'd have to have a demo) 3.5 to 4 years old.

I still haven't ruled out getting a 170BHp Quattro A3 S line.

At the end of the day i'll have figures to change this week...... and the price to change will help me make the descision

RedSportback said:
No not yet.

I have an extended test drive in the V50 either tuesday or friday depending on when the salesman can come out with me. I hope he doesn't get car sick!

Have just had a phone call from my Audi contact and he's booked me in for a 30 min drive of the new 2.0TDi on friday afternoon, so that will give me some idea of that.

Am slightly concerned about the residuals of the BMW and the Volvo if honest. I'll have to keep this car probably three years, that woulld make the BMW (as I'd have to have a demo) 3.5 to 4 years old.

I still haven't ruled out getting a 170BHp Quattro A3 S line.

At the end of the day i'll have figures to change this week...... and the price to change will help me make the descision

The V50, although a nice car, doesn't hold it's value well.
My mate has been looking at some nearly new ones, for bargain money.
They're just 2.0D models though.
I don't know how yours would fair in comparison.
But if you get a good discount, poor residuals become less of a problem.
The less you pay, the less hit you take at resale.

bowfer said:
The V50, although a nice car, doesn't hold it's value well.
I noticed that.

I was checking the value of my car on TheAA.com, and in 2 yrs it has dropped from £20k basic new to £16k trade-in. So, £4k in 2 yrs, not too bad.

But looking at the figures for an S40 2.0D of the same age and similar spec, it had dropped £7k !

what do you use the car for?

if it just you and your g/f have you considered a 123d?

I've had similar experiences with salesmen. My local BMW garage totally put me off buying a BMW for life. To call them arrogant and patronising would be an understatement. I was left standing in the middle of the showroom for close to 15 minutes before anyone came to talk to me. They seem to assume that unless you're over 30 and wearing a suit you're a tyre kicker. I've had this same experience at several BMW dealers. No wonder BMW's have a bad reputation.

It's not all BMW though, my locally Audi dealers were appauling when i recently asked them to source me a car. Everything was too much effort, never called me back when they said, the manager never passed on any of my messages to his salemen etc etc. Just really poor.
So...I sourced a car myself at another Audi dealer and they have been absolutely flawless. Fast, efficient, nothing is too much trouble.

I firmly believe that you buy into the company and the staff when you buy a car and if they act like you should be kissing their ***** i'd rather take my money elsewhere!

PNH80 said:
I've had similar experiences with salesmen. My local BMW garage totally put me off buying a BMW for life. To call them arrogant and patronising would be an understatement. I was left standing in the middle of the showroom for close to 15 minutes before anyone came to talk to me. They seem to assume that unless you're over 30 and wearing a suit you're a tyre kicker. I've had this same experience at several BMW dealers. No wonder BMW's have a bad reputation.

You could flip that right around, for my experiences.
I've been dealing with Aberdeen Audi for years (I had an A4 before my A3 and our company buys other vehicles from their group)
Any time I'm in there, I'm in a shirt and tie (I'm over 30..)
You're left wandering around like a ****, completely ignored.

When I went into see the local BMW dealer, I was on my way to a football match. Jeans, jumper, trainers. The door was held open as I went in, a salesman spoke to me straight away and I was offered a test drive straight away.
Any time I've been back, I get coffee and rolls.
Not in the least bit sniffy.

TBH though, anyone who lets a bad dealer dictate their choice of car is daft. I wanted a D3 and that was that, really. Short of trying to shoot me as I went in, I doubt they could have done much to put me off.
Why would I deny myself the car I wanted, just because of a dickhead in the dealer?
That's just cutting my nose off to spite my face.

PNH80 said:
I firmly believe that you buy into the company and the staff when you buy a car

I don't, not in the least.
I buy a car, not a 'lifestyle choice'.

I've had both good and bad experiences with BMW showrooms. In one instance I went in with my wife to have a look at the then new 1-series. When my wife asked a couple of questions and the salesman ignored her and answered to me and not her. Ignorant so and so.

At a different dealer some while later I went in on my own to look at a 320d before I changed to my current A3-170. The salesman could not have been better. He was very pleasant, gave me all the details I asked for and arranged for a test-drive there and then.

It's difficult to compare them with my Audi dealer as I've been buying cars and having them serviced by them for over 10 years and I know most of the staff and salesman on first name terms. They are always very helpful and look after me as well as I could expect anywhere.

and to be fair, the Audi dealership you use are the only ones I've met with the ability to tie their own shoe laces :)

and to be fair, the Audi dealership you use are the only ones I've met with the ability to tie their own shoe laces :)

Certainly from comments on this forum about other dealers they do seem a lot better than most. Should be even better when their new showroom is finished. Their new service building is very nice. They have also just be appointed as service dealers for the R8.

I'm afraid the 1 series BMW does nothing for me at all, not even the new coupe.

With regards being put of by a dealer, the fact that they don't bow and scrape to me doesn't worry me in the least. What does concern me is that having spent 20 - 26 k with them are they going to look after me when potentially it all goes pear shaped!

Don't get me wrong there are 4 Audi dealers within the area I live and I only have time for 3 of them. The other is just like the BMW dealer I disliked.

Whilst I like the Volvo the residual does worry me. I can have a 7.5% discount before negotiaing with the dealer so thats a start.

I am seriously considering the 170 sline sportback I know that you have the SE h5djr do you have any issues with it.

And does anyone know when they are going to put the new 2.0d engine from the new A4 into the the A3?

Cheers

Test drive a 170 - it's a great engine once it's warmed up.

Not sure on the quattro though - yes it struggles when accelerating very hard in first and second on the slippery roads at the moment but you do adapt and learn to temper the accelerator accordingly - acceleration in gear (especially third upwards) is just great.

I went for the A3 over the A4 because I didn't want yesterdays model - when I pick next time I will seriously consider the A4.

Dave R what dealer in cmabs do you use ?

With regards to RV, look at the actual amount of money you lose not percentage, an A3 will lose more money than a Ford focus, yes its worth more but you lose a hell of a lot. I lost more money I the supposedly bullet proof used Golf in 2 1/2 years than I did on a brand new Focus over 3.