My newly chipped A3

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Well its FINALLY been chiped and all i have to say is FUK ME!!! wot a difference! To be honest, i wasn't too sure what i was expecting. The general drive is the same, but when your going for it... so does the car.
The before figures were:
152.9bhp @ 5452
164.7lb @ 3351

After:
191.8 @ 5612
205.1 @ 4388

When he showed me the bhp plot, i was a little disappointed... but then he showed me the torque plot and i was FAR from disappointed! 205.1 was ppretty good in my opinion, and after driving it, i had a smile from ear to ear. The sound of the turbo is excellent... was silent before, but the whistle sounds excellent!

And to top it all of, i paid £120 less than i was told it would be which is always a bonus!

So if anyone is considering it, then definately do it!

Rich B

Rich,
Which company did you go with?

as above

sounds great.

who, where, how much and did they treat your baby well ?

AmD in Bicester and yes they did treat her well! Cost me £450 + vat (£528) which was amazingly good considering i was told on 2 occasions that it would be £550 + vat! I also talked to them about panel filters and they told me how they had a customer in a TT that had a panel filter and caused his MAF to go... but he didnt realise and kep on driving it and cos it was running lean, it took out No4 piston!!!! thats was wnough for me to cancel my order for one! So all in all i was very impressed with them and will definately be going back to them in the future for more work to be done. I came away from AmD having spent £171 less than i should have done, which will go towards my next project which is a FMIC. Even tho im only running 1bar, its worth lowering the intake temps as it means slightly more power. Also means im not restricted power wise in the future!

Rich B /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Rich, I remember when I got my A4 done. First time I booted it in 3rd at about 60MPH. I was one happy bunny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

pickup in 3rd, 4th 5th is excellent... the best bit is booting it in second from 2k rpm, shifting into 3rd and holding it til 105. First is excellent, but have to be careful no to wheelspin.... but on a grippy bit of road.. from a stand still its very very quick!

Rich B

I'm glad you are enjoying your new chip! It brings back pleasant memories for me too!

When I had my A4 chipped by AMD when I got used to it I actually found that I actually got less wheelspin than before. When standard it was always a fine balance between not having enough revs and the turbo bogging down and getting massive amounts of wheelspin without the car actually moving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Particularly embarrassing when trying to take advantage of a narrow gap to pull onto a roundabout!

With the chip the extra torque really helps the car pull away briskly without drama.

Now if you really wanted to spin the wheels then no problem either......

David

All depends on the car! not sure what other people have seen, but my car had 164lb torque, so 10lb more than it should hvae done... I think Oettinger claim 217lb, but that maybe the highest they have had... not necessarily what you will get. Would be good if u did tho!

Oettinger are a bit expensive aren't they? cost about twice the price here i think!

Rich B

Yeah they are a bit more expensive than some of the others, but the Audi dealers fit them accross here, which can't be bad. Will let you know what the outcome is........

I can imagine your face now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif every time you squeeze the throttle!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif always! Until i get used to it anyway... then more power! already thinking what to do.

First is going to be FMIC (custom job) and second will be milltek turbo back exhaust (sports cat).
Let us know how much u gain!

Rich B

Rich,

It seems like you have the modding bug! Never gonna stop now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Role on the summer, then my little car will be visiting the chip shop! Glad to hear you got excellent service and a good deal from AmD, JPR will be pleased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait to get mine done now! what has it done to MPG figures and around town drivability?

Just to say I had the same done to my '99 A3 T Sport a few months back at AmD and its still going strong.
Would love to try an S3 with 260+bhp, I think the standard one wouldn't be much quicker than my A3 as it is now (got the Hyperboost valve and catback Milltek as well). It was rolling roaded at 200bhp, but less weight and transmission losses obviously. Shame about the wet weather traction though...
Driveability on this remap is great, nice smooth delivery but pulls particularly well from around 3000rpm.

Driveability and fuel consumtion have not actually changed for every day driving which is excellent! It obviously starts necking back petrol when you going for it!