My new toy has arrived!

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
With the help of a fellow mate VAGabond(thanks buddy! I can't thank you enough :D )my new toy has arrived! Please excuse the poor quality of pics as they were taken with my cellphone :oops: Ugs thanks for mailing them and Pillay thanks for hosting them...much appreciated guys :)

Haldex1.jpg

Haldex2.jpg

Haldex3.jpg

Haldex4.jpg

Haldex5.jpg

Haldex6.jpg

very cool, the stealth one too :thumbsup:

you putting a switch in with it or leaving in default mode?

edit: looking again you've got the switch, cool! will that work with one of the standard dash switches? would be great to have it next to the ESP switch :)

oh right cool i was thinking to get this from awesome gti not sure if there the same make though is haldex the best then and how much you looking at for this price wise if you dont mind

It allows you adjust the torque bias to the rear wheels.

Mode1 = Stock 50/50
Mode2 = Sport 60/40 rear
Mode3 = Race 70/30 rear

Info as provided on HPAs website

Gen 2 Switchable Sport/Competition Controller

Applications: Mk5 R32, Gen 2 Audi TT, Audi A3

The newer 4-motion equipped cars use Haldex's second generation of AWD systems. The Gen 2 Sport controller takes into account the TPS signal more so than the OEM software and therefore can proactively begin applying power to the RWD clutch packs before wheel spin begins, and as power is increased, more power lock occurs in the RWD unit until full lock is achieved. This product offers the following benefits:

- increases torque transmission at acceleration
- provides consistent performance with increased over-steer
- torque-transmission is influenced by how quickly you depress the accelerator
- transmits torque before the engine delivers torque
- at greater speeds the torque will decrease enabling less over-steer and safer driving properties

As well as the standard Blue Gen 2 controller, HPA Motorsports is proud to announce our new Stealth Gen2 Sport Haldex controller. In response to countless e-mails and instant messages regarding the warranty worries over the visibility of the Blue Sport controller on service appointments, HPA has answered with a limited run of Stealth units which are undetectable both visually as well as through a scan of your Haldex all wheel drive system. Identical in appearance to your OE controller, you can now enjoy all the benefits without jeopardizing your power train warranty.

By default, the controller is designed to be in Sport mode but with the installation of a specially engineered wiring harness and switch, you can have instant access to all three of the programs built in to the controller; Stock, Sport, and Race.

As an enthusiastic driver you may not find yourself using Stock mode very often, but it will come in useful when loaning your car to an inexperienced driver, or when you are driving in slippery conditions and want to engage the conservative safety parameters set out by the factory.

Sport mode as you have been enjoying it, has transformed the handling characteristics of your AWD car by increasing torque transfer to the rear axle and giving more rear wheel bias.

Race mode will unleash further potential as it provides faster reaction time to vehicle inputs in the AWD communication system, and allows for even greater amounts of torque transfer to the rear axle.

Yeah thats the cable in the pic. Its has a little knob too thats used to make the selection...

just been reading up on them over at an r32 forum, shame its a knob in a way, pain to install that subtlety... although it looks like you should be able to get a three way switch and wire it up instead of the rotary switch...

check the images half way down this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3912702

oh right cool i was thinking to get this from awesome gti not sure if there the same make though is haldex the best then and how much you looking at for this price wise if you dont mind

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/haldex.htm

$1099 + $299 + shipping.

I purchased mine in December when they were running a special. Only received it today though due to backlogs on their side.

Wow mate - thats looks an awesome bit of kit!!

But you cant wait to get it on the track once this baby is fitted!

:D

I'm interested to hear what you think of it, certainly looks interesting.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/haldex.htm

$1099 + $299 + shipping.

I purchased mine in December when they were running a special. Only received it today though due to backlogs on their side.

£724 from AwesomeGTI HERE without the switch. I bought mine from the TT shop which was cheaper again plus they make their own switch up as the standard switch is a rip off for what you get.

Received this pic earlier from the Service manager. I apologise for the poor pic quality as it was taken with his cellphone. He says he played around with the settings and the best for him was the last setting (Race). Says the cars front end became exceedingly light and that all the power shifted to the rear wheels....sounds like its doing what it was meant to do:arco:

Ar1.jpg

cool :racer: fits well there as well, but a better knob for it!

whats the switch on the left & how much did Audi sting you for the fitting?

brushed black alu? http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1824&doy=11m3&C=SO&U=strat15 :icon_thumright:

Definitely going to try and source something neater looking. The blue button is for my Blaupunkt USB/BT unit. I'll need to find another space for that....

I'm waiting on costing for the fitment, hope its not too crazy...just waiting to see if Audi approves my clutch replacement:whistle2:

Three words for you mate... lucky bar steward!!!!

Be fascinated to see how much difference this makes, guess it may be hard to tell on public roads.

Enjoy!

Wooosa! I finally got my car back on Friday after Audi approved my clutch replacement woot woot! I have been taking it easy so as to bed the clutch in this weekend but yesterday I decided to give it some stick. Man o man! This car feels like a whole new car....hit the go peddle and she launches like a bat out of hell and the best part is the bogging has been eliminated! It was raining somewhat yesterday but hot damn she felt amazing and to be honest I'm quite enjoying the oversteer I have been getting since fitting the unit :p I have played around with the Race setting and she definitely feels like the rear is taking some strain so I'll save that setting for track days and the like...all in all, I'm loving my new toy!

DSC01039.jpg

Some better pics of the unit

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01024.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

Some new goodies to be fitted sometime this week

DSC01042.jpg

It allows you adjust the torque bias to the rear wheels.

Mode1 = Stock 50/50
Mode2 = Sport 60/40 rear
Mode3 = Race 70/30 rear

It doesnt rear bias the drive of the car. It actually closes the clutch pack more agressively and at earlier than standard settings. This gives the car more bias to the rear than standard but doesnt put more power down through the rear wheels than the fronts. The car in effect is now running with alot more even power spread front to back than the original front bias would have had. Never been in a car with HPP fitted but its supposed to be a massive improvement when pushing on.

It doesnt rear bias the drive of the car. It actually closes the clutch pack more agressively and at earlier than standard settings. This gives the car more bias to the rear than standard but doesnt put more power down through the rear wheels than the fronts. The car in effect is now running with alot more even power spread front to back than the original front bias would have had. Never been in a car with HPP fitted but its supposed to be a massive improvement when pushing on.

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up...makes more sense.I tried making sense of what I read on HPAs site and your explanation makes better sense than what I understood to be honest.

Thanks again.

That cables a frigging joke, $300 for that, I mean really you could make it for much less, about £280 less I reckon, plugs & terminals from audi & switch from maplins.

But tell me, is it just the haldex uprated gen 2 unit with the blue paint removed & branded as HPA stealth unit?

That cables a frigging joke, $300 for that, I mean really you could make it for much less, about £280 less I reckon, plugs & terminals from audi & switch from maplins.

But tell me, is it just the haldex uprated gen 2 unit with the blue paint removed & branded as HPA stealth unit?

TT Shop sale their own switch for the uprated haldex and works fine in my car. The switch is nothing fancy but it wasn`t very much either and nobody can it anyway. Cannot remember what i paid for the switch now though but it was nowhere near what an offical switch was and that was back when you could get two dollar to every pound.

TT Shop sale their own switch for the uprated haldex and works fine in my car. The switch is nothing fancy but it wasn`t very much either and nobody can it anyway. Cannot remember what i paid for the switch now though but it was nowhere near what an offical switch was and that was back when you could get two dollar to every pound.

Hey mate, do you have any links to the switch, i can't seem to find it anywhere?

I don`t think there is a web link as it`s an unoffical switch they have made for the uprated haldex unit which they are offical importers/dealers for. I bought my controller and uprated haldex about two years ago now so they might not even sale their own design switch now.

I couldn't agree more mate. I needed the washer which fixes the switch to 3 positions (it has 11) which miraculously dissappeared whilst doing the fitment at my dealer. I took a drive to our local electronics store and they had everything required to make your own switch. The switch itself was R59...divide that by 15 and it should give you an idea how cheap it would be. I'm sure the actual cable must be small money too....:faint: