AudiSport

Reaction score
Well, after parting company with my V8 S5, i knew exactly what I wanted:

- Four doors for the kids and school-run
- Big boot for dump-runs and family trips
- Auto box for my stop-start commute
- Balance of performance and running costs
- Something nice to look at!

And, here it is.. 2010 A4 3.0TDI Quattro Avant. It is completely standard, with full Audi main dealer history from new and came with a folder containing every invoice and receipt. It has 99k miles and drives faultlessly. The condition inside and out is exceptional, with no sign of wear anywhere.

It’s pre black edition, but aside from the alloys (which later became rotors) and the gearbox (tiptronic rather than s-tronic), I understand it is the same spec. I’m not sure what they called it back then, if anything - but the de-chrome, window tints, black grill etc is all as it came from the factory - which has saved me lots of time, and money.

Anyway, here it is. As you can tell, I’m very pleased! I actually had one just like this a while back, and regretted selling it - so I’m hanging onto this one!
01BE573F 6C47 44D4 93CB 816EB2331904

Reactions: V6_Man, jdp1962, Sherv and 4 others
Things to do:
- Remap. I’ve been pleased with Revo products in the past, but at £399 + vat I’ll be in no rush. Any better suggestions?

- Shocks. The previous owner was very honest, and informed me that at the last service Audi had noted the n/s rear shock was weaping. Should I rush to replace this? Both sides at the same time?

- Boot mat. Buy and fit a boot mat to protect the carpet from dump runs. What about those rear bumper guards, any good? I noticed my old rear bumper got scuffed quickly dragging heavy bags out.

- Wing mirrors. I liked the silver mirrors agains the black on my S5, and intend to paint these satin silver to break the black up just a little.

- Badges. De-badge the boot completely, just leaving the four rings.

- Boot latch. This still works, but is broken and needs fixing.

What else guys, and good mods or upgrades I should consider?

Reactions: V6_Man
I have a 09. I got a boot liner for day to day stuff wet boots etc and a hatch bag for dump runs. Fit is amazing easy fit / remove and stores nicely with spare wheel.

Have you got hid head lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don’t think so. Aside from the asthetic options, the spec is fairly basic I think. It has:
- Black heated leather
- Sat nav
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Cruise control
- Auto light / wipers

All pretty basic stuff. Will need to look it up online for a better understanding. I would have liked HID lights, power boot, keyless go and a sunroof. But, hey - you have to compromise with used buying!

@t8ups did my light upgrade well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely motor! The sound of the 3.0 for a diesel is something else would have loved one but my budget only stretched to a 2.0. Yours is a very similar spec to mine with it been pre black edition the previous owner of mine also specced the full black exterior pack makes a massive difference when seeing one with all the chrome especially. As for the boot liner I picked up a Carbox format from roofbox which fits well and comes with a 10 year warranty they have a few options available on their website. I’ve got some pictures of it fitted in my thread, Look forward to seeing your plans happen!

Nice car - solid cars generally.
Common issues:

> swirl flaps
>EGR
>DPF

(all of the above can be mapped out etc)

With 100k on the clock I would recommend a gearbox service (approx £180 for the ZF kit)

Enjoy

Cheers

Just added an oil dip stick to mine as my oil level sensor started play up a week after oil cx. £11 from Audi. I’ll do sensor at next oil change.

Thanks for the info guys. The EGR valve actually failed on my last one of these, and with the cooler cost around £600 to replace - so fingers crossed I don’t have any issues. The previous owner was doing around 20k a year, of mainly motorway miles, so I’m hoping the EGR and DPF are in good clean order. Fingers crossed!

The gearbox feels good, which is great as my old one of these used to be clunky when pulling away from slow rolling starts - like it tried to pull away in 2nd then dropped to 1st a few seconds later. This resulted in a frustrating delay when pulling out of junctions etc. This car however has none of these issues which is great. I was however advised to leave the gearbox alone unless it has any issues....? TBH I like the idea of a proactive oil change!

I got an almost identical car a few months back. Literally the only difference is s-tronic and white. Superb car.
I used to have a B6 and blocked off the EGR, is that possible on these or not advised?

I loved my 3.0TDi plenty of torque and a great drive.

BUT swirl flaps will die and so will the EGR, I so wish when I got mine I got it mapped and the swirl flaps deleted and EGR valve deleted and blanked off.

By the time I got to 80k(75% Motorway) on mine it was an utter PITA and I hated it, no end of swirl flap errors when I took it to bits it was no wonder it didn't work.

EGR = Forcing an engine to eat its own *****, exhaust should go out the BACK!

The brackets that hold/support the bar the flaps sit on were oval and no longer round.

PIC, New next to old. Cheap eBay repair kit. The kit was a ****** **** poor fit but sorted the fault and was way cheaper than new intake manifold from Audi.

Screenshot_20181102-141213_WhatsApp_1.jpg

The original bar was also worn out, there should be no shoulders at the edge of the flap, you can see where it thinned/wore out.
Screenshot_20181102-141203_WhatsApp_1.jpg

The intake was full of black ***** from the EGR so you can imagine what the valves looked like.
Screenshot_20181102-141231_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20181102-141223_WhatsApp.jpg

The result is I will never own a diesel again. With the current war on diesel and false economy of mpg due to the higher price of diesel. Unless you do big mileage it isn't costing you less than a petrol car given the diesel car will normally cost more than the petrol equivalent and more in running costs. When I initially did the sums it made sense at the time due to the millage I was doing but if I knew the hassle I would have at 80k millage I would have got a petrol.

I now have an S5.

Just got my A4 3.0 TDI three weeks ago, loving it so far! Debadged the rear on 2nd day, replaced all internal lights with LEDs, fitted LED 6k fog lights to go with bi-xenons, fitted reverse LEDs, fitted audisport licence cover. Mods still to do; LED licence bulbs, honeycomb grill, de-chrome surroud, boot mat, RS foot peddles, uprated FMIC, EGR blank & MRC stage 2 remap.

Funnily enough, I’ve come from an S5. All be it the 4.2 V8! It was great, but I just missed the practicality of the avant, and the 15mpg and £550 road tax started to grate on me!

Great cars though!

5ED64065 E4E3 47FA 9892 A7A19760A5F7

Reactions: DickoB8
Mine was just a B8 saloon so I already had 4 doors I went to the sportback, didn't think a hatch back design would be all that different... But it is. Love it.

Did love the easy torque of the diesel though still seems harsh to go over 5k rpm now I'm petrol.

Definitely recommend the flap delete and EGR delete, I would probably still have my 3.0 A4 had I got that done at the start, but was looking like new intakes at £1200+ labour and a full decoke of the system at at least £1k+ was going to be needed so was time to move on.

Well, I certainly tempted faite saying the gearbox was smooth... Last night it had a meltdown on my way home from work. It started dropping down into 1st at 10/15mph when slowing.. on one occasion with a real clonk! When I got home from the 4mile drive there was a clutchy burning smell....

On the way into work yesterday I was doing some spirited driving, going up and down through the gears manually... All I can hope is this has something to do with it, and my trip to work shortly will be back to normal... Wish me luck!

I have a 09. I got a boot liner for day to day stuff wet boots etc and a hatch bag for dump runs. Fit is amazing easy fit / remove and stores nicely with spare wheel.

Have you got hid head lights?

Judging from the first photo I'd say he has the LED DRLs and Xenon headlights, which are the upgraded lights for the B8 (setting aside the additional further upgrade of the cornering dipped beams)

Lovely car AudiSport. In terms of upgrades I did a full LED interior retrofit, "Quattro" puddle lights and a gearbox / engine remap.

Who did your gearbox and engine map? What are the gearbox benefits?

Well, I certainly tempted faite saying the gearbox was smooth... Last night it had a meltdown on my way home from work. It started dropping down into 1st at 10/15mph when slowing.. on one occasion with a real clonk! When I got home from the 4mile drive there was a clutchy burning smell....

On the way into work yesterday I was doing some spirited driving, going up and down through the gears manually... All I can hope is this has something to do with it, and my trip to work shortly will be back to normal... Wish me luck!

That'll have been a DPF regen, the gearbox gets really snatchy and grabs 2nd and 1st when it may have stuck in 3rd, the first time it happened in mine I thought my car was fully broken.

Interesting, even on a short 4-mile urban drive home from work?

I hope your right though...

If it gets up to temperature etc. and it needs it then it'll start. It may not finish it though so all the fans will come on when you turn off the car and it'll stink of burning with all the heat produced.
I had my gearbox services at about 115k miles, I suffered with that pull away pause that you mention, it fixed it for a while but it's crept back in again now. I think the gearbox software has learnt to do it by the way I drive, it is a right old pain though .

Yes, the hesitation was very frustrating. But, I got used to it in the end and started compensating for it with my driving. Thanks for the advice regarding the regen - fingers crossed this is was the issue. The car certainly smelt when I got out of it that evening!

How often should the regen take place? The car seems to do it at least once every week. And, this is my second one of these, and my last A4 3.0TDi didn’t do this regen / gearbox thing. Neither did my A6 3.0TDi either..

If you have VCDS check Soot levels and log all EGT sensors.
Could be not getting up to temp to burn soot off.

Also check dpf deltaP under full load in 3rd

Reactions: V6_Man and AudiSport
Popped the car into the garage and they couldn’t find anything. They said the latest regen happened 18,000 miles ago, so what I thought were regens clearly were not. The soot levels were less than 15% and the gearbox reported no errors.

Yet, randomly the gearbox has a spaz session changing down too early. Grrrrrrr!

Now what? Ideas welcome

Put up measurements of calculated and measured soot.
Plus do as I said previously - log the deltaP in 3rd gear from 1500rpm to 4k
Post it up

Last regen at 18k is not true

Did they do a forced regen?

Unfortunately I don’t have VCDS or any such self diagnostics kit. Anyone in Dorset want to help ? ; )

No, they didn’t mention that they had run a forced regen. I’ve done around 1,000 miles in the last two weeks, mostly motorway, yet the car still did it’s funny gearbox thing today and all fans running when I got out!

Get vag dpf app best £3 I have spent know exactly what my dpf is doing.