My new Estoril Blue S5 Sportback!

AdamZA

Reaction score
So I picked up my new S5 on Friday! It's been a crazily busy weekend so I've not had the chance to upload some pictures until now but here are some of the car in all its awesomeness!

IMG 9843IMG 9850   Version 2IMG 1787   Version 2IMG 9862   Version 2IMG 9910IMG 9902   Version 2IMG 9905   Version 2IMG 9938IMG 9942IMG 9929IMG 9917   Version 2

The car is remarkably comfortable even though it's sitting on 20" wheels and the S sports suspension - so much more comfortable than my previous 325d M-Sport which had 19"s and RFTs. Still getting used to the steering - it doesn't have as much feedback as I'm used to - but it's so good to drive. The gearbox is amazing and so smooth and that engine and exhaust sound... Wow. Blown away! So tempted to get a remap though :p 400+ bhp is so enticing :p

All in all, a very happy S5 owner!

But please - someone please tell me how to stop the MMI automatically turning on the media every time you start the car regardless of whether you left it on mute or not!

And could someone with the convenience package please tell me how to set my passenger side mirror to auto-dip when reversing? It used to do it but then I tried to adjust it then it's decided not to dip anymore. I want to be especially careful with these wheels as you can imagine!

More pics to come... eventually :p After I get to spend some time really bringing out the colour and gloss of the car.

Adam

Reactions: Cuppa, ben.w93, maikysupra and 7 others
Looks great Adam, the S5 is great isn't it... Oh and great colour choice. ;-)

For the mirror flick the mirror control to the left, stick the car into reverse adjust as required and that's it. When you move forward it should go back and next time you reverse it will drop into the last position. Note that the mirror control needs to be to the left for it to auto drop.

With regards to the MMI I don't think it's possible. I think I read that if you turn it off before stopping (I think a long hold or something) then it won't come on. It's not something that bothers me so never tried it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamZA and warren_S5
That's one stunning car my friend. Picking up my S3 tomorrow. Very excited.

Reactions: AdamZA
Very nice indeed. Colour wheel combo looks superb. The Estoril looks exceptional, especially under showroom lighting.

Please tell me my eyes deceive me and there wasn't a pink Audi in the background of the second photo!

Reactions: AdamZA and Shrek5
Good spot, looks like a pink A1... Hopefully just a trick of the light...

Hope it's a customer order otherwise they'll be taking a hit on that when it eventually sells to someone who is colourblind. Stinks of this:

16764841001_793900339001_vs-793890585001.jpg

Looks great Adam, the S5 is great isn't it... Oh and great colour choice. ;-)

For the mirror flick the mirror control to the left, stick the car into reverse adjust as required and that's it. When you move forward it should go back and next time you reverse it will drop into the last position. Note that the mirror control needs to be to the left for it to auto drop.

With regards to the MMI I don't think it's possible. I think I read that if you turn it off before stopping (I think a long hold or something) then it won't come on. It's not something that bothers me so never tried it.

Hmm, I swear I've tried those instructions for the auto-dip and it never seemed to go up again lol. Have to try it out once more. Thank you! Will also try the MMI thing.

Actually guys, I'm afraid its a wrapped A1 in pink. It's been sitting in the showroom for months and months (and months!) It's white underneath - they'll probably have to remove it in order to sell it lol. They had a matt black RS Q7 in there before as well. Impressive stuff.

And, of course, thank you everyone for the compliments! Will post some daytime pics up soon with better angles. I want to get creative with the photography if possible :p

I read somewhere last week instructions as per Shrek's post, but if you're struggling try watching the first video 'how to' in this collection:

Audi Video Help & Tutorials | Audi USA

Thanks Warren.

Any other tips and tricks that I should know about? It's funny - I ended up teaching my dealer some shortcuts in the cabin when he was supposed to be telling me stuff!

Reactions: warren_S5
As I don't have mine yet I don't have any tips. As an iPhone owner who will be using SIM in dash for phone prep high (Google Maps), I'm intrigued to know how it all works / hangs together. Supposedly the MY14 cars allow you to continue receiving calls on the iPhone whilst the SIM in the dash takes care of Google Maps / Weather / Traffic Updates etc.

If you have any of the above, be intrigued to see how you get on with it.

How do you intend to run the engine in just out of interest.

As I don't have mine yet I don't have any tips. As an iPhone owner who will be using SIM in dash for phone prep high (Google Maps), I'm intrigued to know how it all works / hangs together. Supposedly the MY14 cars allow you to continue receiving calls on the iPhone whilst the SIM in the dash takes care of Google Maps / Weather / Traffic Updates etc.

If you have any of the above, be intrigued to see how you get on with it.

Yep I have the bluetooth high with Audi connect. Will let you know how I get on once I get my sim card for it. You can choose whether you want to make the calls from the car sim card or your phone.

How do you intend to run the engine in just out of interest.

Well so far I've enjoyed driving it without revving it too much. However I have driven it fast on occasion and enjoyed the car all the way up to the redline :D I was told I don't need to run the engine in by the dealer but I will take it easy mainly I guess. I'm going to find it difficult to control myself though! Going to use only V-Power fuel as well (begin discussion on whether it's a waste of money or not :p)

When I get mine I'm trying to get a trip over to France in the first week so I can do some runs on the autoroutes between Normandie and surrounding areas. I think engines seem to bed in better if they're not doing short journeys, and if they get mid to long distance journeys with a build up of revs over the first thousand miles (but certainly no labouring in gear). You may get a faster car from thrashing the **** of it, but in the longer term I think they make you pay more dearly. I tend to do oil change a 5k, then every 8-10k after that. Most important thing is LET IT WARM UP PROPERLY!

Congratulations it looks great, the Estoril Blue,privacy glass and the 20" wheels really suit the car.

Well so far I've had to do a lot of motorway miles already (already 200 miles done in the car since Friday!) and there will be another couple of hundred at least by the end of this week. Maybe I should have kept the diesel for another week or two!

What you have planned sounds really good.

Yep I have the bluetooth high with Audi connect. Will let you know how I get on once I get my sim card for it. You can choose whether you want to make the calls from the car sim card or your phone.

Well so far I've enjoyed driving it without revving it too much. However I have driven it fast on occasion and enjoyed the car all the way up to the redline :D I was told I don't need to run the engine in by the dealer but I will take it easy mainly I guess. I'm going to find it difficult to control myself though! Going to use only V-Power fuel as well (begin discussion on whether it's a waste of money or not :p)

Ive got Audi connect in mine only tried it once with the sim from my phone ,Google maps are great on it but not tried any other feature.
Imo V-power is a waste of money the car is mapped for 95ron its inside the fuel flap.

When I get mine I'm trying to get a trip over to France in the first week so I can do some runs on the autoroutes between Normandie and surrounding areas. I think engines seem to bed in better if they're not doing short journeys, and if they get mid to long distance journeys with a build up of revs over the first thousand miles (but certainly no labouring in gear). You may get a faster car from thrashing the **** of it, but in the longer term I think they make you pay more dearly. I tend to do oil change a 5k, then every 8-10k after that. Most important thing is LET IT WARM UP PROPERLY!

Warren you could have had your car a few weeks earlier if you'd done a factory collection and then enjoyed the trip back to the UK,its something I've always fancied doing but never got round to it,maybe with my next car.

I've often wondered whether there are any non performance benefits to V-Power as the TFSi is not a particularly clean burning engine and needs all the help it can get with detergents etc. As I'm planning to tune mine I will go for 98RON fuel and stick with it. Whichever you go for it's best to stick with it to stop ECU having to go through constant adaptation.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Warren you say let it warm up properly... I'm used to diesels which don't really require warm up time. How do I know when the engine is warmed properly? I'm hoping I don't have to wait around for it to reach 90 degrees?

Warren, I wonder the same hence I've always stuck to v-power. Lately I've been trying BP ultimate instead based on the rumour that it is E0 rather than E5 or 10 ethanol blends. So far... noticed naff all difference, but I've only been through half a tank, and I'd question if it would be noticeable anyway. As said the engine is supposedly optimised for 95 RON which is standard in the UK even at the 'lower' grades (I think), so there's a good chance I'll go back to Shell anyway.

Adam, to be fair any car, diesel or petrol, should be up to 90C before you start to boot it. I believe that it might even be a little after the water temp hits 90 as the oils can take longer to warm through. That last bit might be total bullsh*t as I'm really not qualified to pass judgement, but as a result I generally let it get to 90 and wait a bit before hitting the throttle hard.

But I feel your pain, the 3.0 V6T almost goads you into using it doesn't it...

I may end up remapping anyway so I could always specify a map for higher octane fuel. I've heard that it can increase mpg as well even if slightly - any increase is better than none with this engine! Please let me know if its all rubbish though... Just filled up 3/4 tank with it today. I wouldn't have had enough time to be able to tell the difference from normal fuel I don't think. Either way I have to get used to lifting the unleaded pump instead of the diesel pump... I triple checked I had the right one before starting the fuel delivery today!

Shrek, I rarely boot the car just after start up anyway so hopefully that wouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I just don't have time to wait for it to get to 90 before moving off. Sometimes when I'm late for work I can be known to drive with a bit more spirit though(!)

Yes, you're right - the V6T just makes you want to put your foot down. Coming from a diesel (and a remapped 300bhp one at that), I'm impressed with the way the V6T is mapped to give good amounts of torque in the low revs but sometimes you just want to hear that engine...

If you guys tell me that its imperative to run the engine without a lot of hard acceleration in then I will restrict myself a bit :(

The S5 is turning so many heads already - I've never had a car get so many looks. Not that I'm after everyone looking - but I notice it. Very pleased with the purchase - the colour and styling is just something else altogether. Really feel like I'm driving something special.

Shrek, I rarely boot the car just after start up anyway so hopefully that wouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I just don't have time to wait for it to get to 90 before moving off. Sometimes when I'm late for work I can be known to drive with a bit more spirit though(!)

Just to clarify you shouldn't wait on the drive or wherever for it to get to 90, you actually should drive off immediately as I understand this is better for the engine than letting it idle stationary. What I meant was don't give it the full beans from cold.

Yes, you're right - the V6T just makes you want to put your foot down. Coming from a diesel (and a remapped 300bhp one at that), I'm impressed with the way the V6T is mapped to give good amounts of torque in the low revs but sometimes you just want to hear that engine...

If you guys tell me that its imperative to run the engine without a lot of hard acceleration in then I will restrict myself a bit :(

I know what you mean! It's probably best to run in as the manual suggests, pretty sure Audi wrote it for a reason. ;) This is gentle to start building up. Can't recall the specifics but it's not too onerous.

The water temperature is not a good gauge to go by, on a summer day I say 10 mins, on a winter day I use 15 mins. Oil temp lags water temp. There may be an oil temp reading within the DIS, and if there is I'd let that get to 90 before I'd stretch it's legs. You'd be surprised how much longer it takes than the water.

Adam

Car looks amazing! - nice one mate. And its now very exclusive in that colour with those wheels!

My test drive was an S5 sportback as they didn't have an S4 at the time.
I must admit it was very close to me breaking with the A4 tradition and getting an S5 SB.

Cheers
Keef

WOWZERS .... have to say, that is the best sportback I have EVER seen !!

Looks amazing shod with 20" rims and in estoril blue and really like the sunroof too.

you have caught the estoril paint brilliantly in the pics - just got the electric POP that it gives off in that kind of light or sun light.

Looks awfully wet outside though ... but you were gutted driving her into the rain.

Looks spectacular and WELCOME TO THE S5 (ESTORIL) CLUB :o.k:

Reactions: warren_S5, AdamZA and Shrek5
My test drive was an S5 sportback as they didn't have an S4 at the time.
I must admit it was very close to me breaking with the A4 tradition and getting an S5 SB.

Oddly my test drive was in an S4 as they didn't have an S5 available, didn't sway me away from the coupe though. ;)

Reactions: Keef and warren_S5
Stunning looking car. What a colour, looks really good in the pics.

Enjoy it mate, that engine is a peach!

Just seen the talk above about fuel.

ODDLY ... the inside label on the fuel filler cap says min 92 RON and recommended 95 RON.

So I thought there was no point putting in the premium 98 / 99 ron fuel if there is no benefit.

Guess I thought its an older engine and had heard that the high BHP TURBO engines benefited more (and some even have to have it now) from the 98 ron Super Unleaded as oppose to the naturally aspirated engines don't benefit so much from SUPER - had no idea where a super charger fits in that logic though :)

Have never put any Super in mine - but do tend to put some quality OIL COMPANY fuel in from time to time though.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Just realised .......... the sunroof slides fully back - a + of the extended sport back roof I guess.

The Coupe has a pano roof, but will only TILT, which I thought is a bit of a let down.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It was raining as I drove out of the showroom and I went straight into M25 traffic for an hour :p

Since then though I've had plenty opportunity to enjoy this amazing car.

I've managed to sort out the auto-dipping mirror (thanks Shrek & Warren) and yes, if I turn the MMI off then I don't get the media next time I start the car - though this isn't the solution I'm after at all.

I looked around and apparently the ADS is purely coding (though it would throw up an error code without the button installed) so I may look to get it coded in and that will leave me able to select ADS settings from the MMI from the CAR button. That's if I can find someone who knows VAGCOM nearby...

Snake, I've never had a sunroof in any of my previous cars before - I've been really looking forward to it and I must say i'm enjoying it.

Glad I've made this purchase - was a bit anxious due to costs etc but it's well worth it just to enjoy driving. Sat for an hour in traffic this morning yet with this engine and the start-stop it was one of the smoothest drives ever. The automatic dual-clutch transmission is fantastic and smooth. I have to watch the instrument cluster to notice gear changes at low revs. The car decided it was economic enough to do 30 in 6th gear yesterday. 6th! I'm sorry but that just impresses me :p

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, DAYTONA 500, Shrek5 and 1 other person
ha ha yeah the engine and gearbox are both amazing.

The times I am in a car park and just steadily crawling and find people in front walking and don't even know I am there because the engine is so quiet - its kinda annoying they don't get out the way but impressive the reason why they don't know I am there - the engine is so refined.

and yes, it is also funny to see the gearbox go into 6th gear around town @ 30 mph.

At 70mph on the motorway it is just effortless !

Quick question chap, are your rear number plate bulbs the new white LED ones, or are they the horrible old fashioned yellowish halogens. I'm hoping whatever is on yours will be on mine as it's similar build period.

If they are the latter I need to get onto it and order some LED versions.

Many thanks in advance.

Quick question chap, are your rear number plate bulbs the new white LED ones, or are they the horrible old fashioned yellowish halogens. I'm hoping whatever is on yours will be on mine as it's similar build period.

If they are the latter I need to get onto it and order some LED versions.

Many thanks in advance.

Mine's a 2013 car and its got the led numberplate bulbs.

Yep, LED number plate bulbs and also LED interior footwell which I found interesting... Why not just switch all of them? :p

A couple of pics after a quick wash today just to show the amazing colour

IMG 1865IMG 1872

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Shrek5
What a colour. What a car.

Oh and I forgot to post this cos I know you guys will go crazy over it ;)

IMG 1852

Oh my... Why did I go for Estoril Blue again? :p

By the way guys, that wrap cost £2k and the quality of it is actually very very impressive! Just not the colour!

Reactions: Shrek5
You must be mad, why didn't you go for that wrap? Class, and if you added a powered by fairy dust sticker in the back window it would be the real deal! I don't think I'd dare been seen photographing that ;-)

Reactions: AdamZA and Shrek5