My new B7 S4

Av4nt

Reaction score
So finally took the plunge and got one after much deliberation and im glad I did now :) quattro is impressive!

It's basic spec with carbon inlays, Brilliant Red, standard 4.2L V8 and in the lower tax bracket!
Don't really plan to do much to it at all other than paint the brake callipers yellow and put the Cupra splitter on, and a private plate.

4x New Eagle F1's to go on her and she has just been into Audi this morning for an outstanding Coil Pack recall, so just had 8 brand new ones for free :thumbs up:

Unbelievably they did a free health check and not one advisory.. usually they will "find" something they would like to replace but not even that so am pleased. Good service history with it also. :kissmyrings: :s4addict:

Reactions: THQuattro and Sandra
Very nice mate as long as you stay happy with this one :) Reminds me of my S4 thou it was auto and sprint blue.

Just curious why Eagle F1 tyres?

Mm sprint blue, lovely! Just really like them, especially the rim protector round both edges! What would be your choice?

Fair enough. Well when speaking to the guys at Audi sport regarding my DTM and tyres and protecting the diff and quattro system. The one tyre they were against was the F1. But that said you dont have to always listen to a manufacture. Its your money at the end of the day.

If it were me would all depend on the budget. But most probably something in the likes of Mich PS2/3, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, Vred Vorti etc

Attachments

• 25122006.jpg
    25122006.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 164
How much difference can there be between F1s and say a Dunlop sport maxx where protecting the diff is concerned tho!! cant be that horrendous...and ontop of that.. this currently has some utterly rank Nankang tyres on it ... puke!

Because of their asymmetric pattern for a start as well very soft compound and have a soft side wall remember as this is a forum I am just passing on what the makers of the vehicle at Audi Sport told me. Sadly its the sort of mentality that people think in the first place that its not a issue but people that own the vehicle 5 - 10 years down the line have to repair and deal with and this doesnt only apply to something simple as using a genuine part to putting 4 tyres on a quattro as to 2. Again the thought is just being put out there, same as a speed limit just because its there doesn't mean you will listen to it. But when it back fires well then what do you say how much difference is there? between 55 in a 50 to 60 in a 50.

Dont forget to get some wheel nut covers and audi engine logo for the engine bay.

And just a second thought you shouldn't really let a wheel protector be your determining factor for when choosing tyres. If you that worried about curbing them buy some curb protectors.

nothing personal just facts that's all :)

Last edited:
curb protectors look awful! well its either eagle F1, P Zero's or consti sport 5's. i dont like dunlops

cars already 10 years old so if its gonna go then its gonna go really isnt it lol!

I never said you must go for dunlops it was only 1 of the tyres I would suggest there is loads of others to choose from but for I wouldn't go near p zeros they a very outdated tyre.

Well lets hope in your case nothing major does happen :)

haha by the way you put it... it just puts me off bothering as you seem to be implying I am making a massive mistake haha.

lets turn the hand... what would YOU have on yours :p :D

LING LONGS !!!! best tyre ever :uk:

quattro friendly

When I said nothing major going wrong I was just referring in general ie timing chains, carbon build up. etc

I can't see a tyre choice making much difference to the diff myself,let's face it Audi say never change gear oil but that's wrong and would probably make the diff last longer than any perticular brand of tyre.

@Av4nt Lewis, the car looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the pics. Im sure you have a great big grin. Enjoy. :) x

i do indeed thanks sandra.

gio...now im really confused... If you believe tyre choice will affect the timing chain lol i think you may have gone mad :p

Reactions: Sandra
I can't see a tyre choice making much difference to the diff myself,let's face it Audi say never change gear oil but that's wrong and would probably make the diff last longer than any perticular brand of tyre.

Actually both those statements are incorrect sadly, as you are only reading between the lines as to seeing the big picture.

I will go under the assumption that you are referring to the phrase the units are sealed for "life"? Am I correct?

Which if I am. You are slightly miss informed - Because if you read the fine print on the sale of purchase from Audi, it actually states the life refers to the period of your warranty or while the vehicle is under an extended warranty. Which in most cases means they wont touch the fluid while under warranty. But go out of warranty and ask Audi to change the fluid they will gladly change it for you. Hence why they have a Audi formulated oil for the diffs, gearbox etc.

If you not referring to that then I with draw my comment.

Besides we are going way off topic here.

End of the day its the mans money and if he wants to buy what he wants to buy then so be it :angel:

i do indeed thanks sandra.

gio...now im really confused... If you believe tyre choice will affect the timing chain lol i think you may have gone mad :p
if the timing chains snap, they snap and were all sh*t out then and I would not then think they snapped cos I had eagles F1's on.

No mate I think the txt is getting misread here.

When I said I hope nothing major goes wrong with the vehicle I was just talking as a general consensuses no relation to the tyres what so ever. Just the general running of the vehicle as my S4 I owned for 4 days then gave it back but that is a whole another story.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Personally I believe Eagle F1's have gone down hill over the years and their wet weather performance is shocking. I took Gio's advice on the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's even though they weren't my first choice. And to be honest I'll have them fitted every time. Hand downs down one of the best tires I've ever used.

Contis are ok in both dry and wet but focus on economy, pirellis I find too hard wearing and give a lot of road noise.

Again at the end of the day it's your money and you buy what you feel comfortable with. However when it comes to keeping my DTM on the road I'll buy the best I can afford. This time round I couldn't afford the tires but bought them any way

Last edited:
Reactions: Av4nt
Actually both those statements are incorrect sadly, as you are only reading between the lines as to seeing the big picture.

I will go under the assumption that you are referring to the phrase the units are sealed for "life"? Am I correct?

Which if I am. You are slightly miss informed - Because if you read the fine print on the sale of purchase from Audi, it actually states the life refers to the period of your warranty or while the vehicle is under an extended warranty. Which in most cases means they wont touch the fluid while under warranty. But go out of warranty and ask Audi to change the fluid they will gladly change it for you. Hence why they have a Audi formulated oil for the diffs, gearbox etc.

If you not referring to that then I with draw my comment.

Besides we are going way off topic here.

End of the day its the mans money and if he wants to buy what he wants to buy then so be it :angel:

What I am saying is changing gear oil is not on any service schedule, you can instruct them to change it yes but as far as I know it won't get done as part of any service, including major service and timing belt change ect.

i had F1's on my TFSI and love them. true about wet weather grip but then didnt have quattro.
Ultimately whatever tyres I use they will wear and i can try difrerent sets... perhaps before the timing chain decides to sh*t itself lmao

And i cant help put think F1 on quattro wuld be 100% better than nankang :S omg they are horribly hard and noisy cant wait to get rid

To be 100 % honest with you I think looking at those pictures of your current tyres I think anything would be better than the nankangs :)

If you do decide to go for the Gd years just check which ones you get as there is 2 revisions of them.

Fuel Eff: E and Wet Grip: C - Noise 72db
Fuel Eff: E and Wet Grip: A - Noise 70db

yeah they are just rank! worn on the outsides. needs a good wheel alignment

Try use a reputable 4wd alignment system makes all the difference on the quattro vehicles. Something in the likes of beissbarth is considered one of the best then someone with the likes of a hunter or john bean system. The key differences is how many points of angles they can measure and available to or for adjusting. So for example I think the beissbarth can measure up to 16 different points of angle per a wheel. So you can imagine the accuracy compared to a bog standard wheel alignment which is potentially 4-6 angles

What is the mileage on the vehicle?

My BOSCH garage uses the hunter alignment system. Its on 89k. Tyres are all on 4mm so im in no rush as Im actually driving this car pretty conservatively due to the mpg lol..and tbh I prefer the lower rumble of the V8 in 1/2/3rd than sticking foot down. suitsme jsut fine :)

Nice one on the new car, looks ace.

Your signature leads me to believe it'll be an 05-06 plate RS4 next.

Very nice indeed ! ................and makes me kinda jealous !

I was in two minds between an S4 and the 2.0 tfsi (yeah I know if it were purely down to the car there'd be no contest !) but I was, rightly or wrongly, worried about fuel consumption and other running costs (servicing etc) but an S4 is definately down on my 'to own' list !

Enjoy your car, I'm sure you will :thumbs up:

Very nice indeed ! ................and makes me kinda jealous !

I was in two minds between an S4 and the 2.0 tfsi (yeah I know if it were purely down to the car there'd be no contest !) but I was, rightly or wrongly, worried about fuel consumption and other running costs (servicing etc) but an S4 is definately down on my 'to own' list !

Enjoy your car, I'm sure you will :thumbs up:

I was of the same thought process... ultimately it came down to, sod it you only live once and I can at least say I finally had a V8 at some point in time lol! As for running costs..jsut have to grin and bare it lol

:p

Reactions: Mark-f
You lucky you got the low tax bracket one. I think your biggest expense will be fuel. But that all depends on your right foot. But then again if you want the power you must feed the horses.

Reactions: Mark-f
yeah fuel i surprisingly underestimated lol. didnt think it would be quite so bad even driving considerately lol:unsure:

That looks a cracking piece of machinery. But if that was mine, I'd get those horrible tyres off tomorrow morning at 8am, as soon as the nearest tyre bay was open.

I know my only justification is that im not driving it very fast atm just pootling about and getting used to the MPG lmao.
Plus the private plate cost £450 so will have to wait until payday and they will be removed!

Im gonna go with the eagle F1's sorry gio :p The "AO" approved ones with stronger sidewall.. they are at least a ton better than Nankang lol.

Like Id go to audi for tyres lool! They use F1s ion the A6 you know :p

I was looking properly at the PS3.. they are damn ugly tyres lol. But you may have persuaded me :p

I have no A6 lol was just making a point haha!

fine ill go for MIch PS/3 you haggler :racer:

Hi do you have any link/ place to get the S4 pad retaining clips with that S4/S line or whater logo might be on them??