My new A4 Avant- The road to perfection!? Help?

Hi mate, apologies I got the price a bit wrong. It was actually £115 for the wing (sprayed) but i'm positive they had a deal on for two. The seller was carparts-express on ebay. They only appear to be selling LH wings at the minute but maybe you could give them a shout, they might have more but just not advertising yet. The fit was spot on and required only minimal fettling to get the gaps and height spot on. The new wing matches my bumper and bonnet perfectly... not my door unfortunately which makes me think maybe its had a respray at some point. The colour match I sent along with it was from the towing eye cover on the front bumper. The only thing that will likely be different is the amount of metal flake in there as I imagine thats pretty hard to match. I'll see if I can get a picture of it later on for you.

Reactions: Nollywood
Certainly not the cheapest with delivery charge slapped on top of that too.

Very interested to see the fitted part though. Thanks.

Well that's me decided. I am not buying pattern painted parts off ebay.

I contacted a good local body shop and they quoted me for colour changing good nick 2nd hand wings. 360 quid. Which then made me think how on earth can the eBay shops supply paint and post a wing for 125! I know pattern wings don't cost much and delivery is 15-20 quid so surely there cutting corners somewhere for the painting cost to be that cheap.

There's a copy of perfect wings on german ebay at 185 a side. Kind of pricey for 2nd hand wings at the end of the day I think. Would rather pay a little more for freshly painted genuine.

If they paint and dry them in batches, it's cheaper and faster. My painter told me he wastes a lot of time and money cleaning his paint gun, and the less he paints in one color, the more costly and time consuming it is. Also, aftermarket wings are dirt cheap to begin with.

Thats a good point, they could be doing a couple pairs at a time of a colour to bring cost down.

Think I have seen the same bodyshops selling the pattern panel wings for around the 50 quid mark which is stupidly cheap compared to the £225 from Audi!

I'm half considering the wings on german ebay at the moment. After having my car cleaned the wings are really letting it down.

German wings £400 for the pair delivered basically look in good nick, asked for pictures of the backs to check for corrosion starting.

Orr find some good donor wings £100? then get them painted locally for £360. More expensive but I would have a guarantee and brand spankers fresh paint and potentially better paint match than the 2nd hand german wings.

I'd look for donor wings in your specific color. But what color IS that? plain black? looks like a blue/purple shade of black, in which case you'd have a hard time getting the right color donor wings. The risk with pattern ones is them not sitting 100% flush.. I'd just wait until I found a good pair of donor ones.

It's Moro Blue LZ5J, apparently a very hard colour to find. Makes sense as out of all the A4's i see locally there's only 2 other the same, or they might be ming blue haha!

I've gone into overdrive tonight and messaged several different breakers on ebay, all in the wrong colour though. Most expensive back so far is £160 for corrosion free in silver, high price due to good paint.

This is it, I really don't want to cheap out and go for pattern wings, as I think I would regret it.

So bored of searching wings I do my usual local search for wheels and found these BEAUTIES! Chatted with the seller and a price was agreed which was too good to pass up.

4th boxless wheel strapped up snug in the back ..

Got an absolute steal on these! Seller had bought them for his Fiat Coupe originally but then decided he didn't want to use adaptors, but he got them from PW Motorsport I think who had had them refurbed by Lepsons so the finish is flawless, there's absolutely stunning! But it doesn't stop there, they cam with PW's aluminium spigot rings, BBS dust caps and gold BBS emblem center caps. Grand total on accessories £150!

I'm absolutely over the moon with them, not had this nice alloys since BBS RC on my MK4 Golf. Currently waiting for nano tech sealant to arrive to seal them before going on.

Specs are BBS RX207's 18x8" ET32. Will get my 235/40/18's slapped on them next week sometime hopefully. Need to pick up a new set of security bolts, I only have 3 at the moment.

Big thanks @mjr901 in the parts request section sorting me out a window regulator kit for cheaper than TPS. My ebay kit in the door lasted 10 months, I had bought one from Euro car parts but long story short, took door apart, once 2 kits side by side something wasn't right, peed off I returned got a refund and bought genuine. Pretty sure someone had returned the wrong kit to ECP's and i was the lucky git to get it.

But any ways, I now have silky smooth windows again. Didn't even need to watch a youtube guide this time round I've had the door apart so much.

Reactions: mjr901
Loving the wheels especially in that colour. Look forward to seeing them fitted.
What size are your current wheels and what might you be doing with them?
I'm by no means flying above like a vulture ready to scavenge lol

Thanks muchly, the colour is a big player in why I had to jump at them, most refurbed wheels are too dark, not a fan of gloss black....

Fly as low as you like lol They'll be sold to pay off some of the bill these beauties put on the credit card haha

Current wheels are RS6 reps 18x8, I want to say ET35 from memory but would need to wait until there off to confirm. Unfortunately they do have a fairly bad case of kerb rash. Bought the car with 225's giving the rim next to no protection, so I've added a few to the previous owners work. I do have 3 spare centre caps for them.

I presume they fit direct? Have you still got the standard suspension?
I have the same year, TDI, same colour I think?
IMG 1416

Yup direct fit and still on standard sport suspension. Is yours sport?

Yer looks same colour, would swap for your wings lol

Hehe finally set an avatar inspired by my centre caps.

No, not sport (I don't think), errrm as tempted by the wing swap, unsure the look will catch on!! lol

If your current wheels are original I think your SE, can't find of other tell tale ways, pretty sure it would say on the log book/ boot sticker.

This is my cars original wheel (my spare)
$_57.JPG

If your local (Braintree, Essex) Your welcome to come and test fit a side to see how it looks. Once the BBS go on the RS6 loose there shoes though so will be tough to judge.

Darn, thought you would of jumped at the chance, you could always have my rotting wings instead lol

I think you're right mine being an SE and I believe mine to be the originals. I have an Essex postcode on my birth certificate but unfortunately was shipped up North at 15 so I'm only 250 miles away.....:sob:

Ah bugga, I can always courier the wheels if you want but of course with 40 quid slapped on top that doesn't make them a cheap option any more. They are a popular rep so you could probably find a set close to you for less than mine posted, for example HERES a set near Birmingham.

Thanks for the link. Will have a look round, am in no rush really, prob a case of male can't wait syndrome!! lol

Shhhh your not meant to admit to that!

all I did was regularly search on ebay for 5x112 18, tick for used only and distance:nearest first.

Reactions: mistermoo
TEST FIT!

although seems back of wheels were skimmed during refurb process and thus the precision made BBS spigots protrude from the face.

Currently emailing PW about the issue as thats who my seller bought from. Hopefully get the spigots skimmed to match.

Sooo spoke to PW who sold the wheels and they didn't know of the wheels being skimmed and after several measurements it doesn't look like they have so possible just don't fit the new up to date parts designed for new wheels which these wheels are fairly old these days.

The solution, google local engineers, drive 5 mines down the road and hand over a tenner to have the shoulders chopped off the back of these....

perfect fitment...

now when discussing the issue with PW they wanted pics of the backs which meant all the wheels were out in the same light at the same time, thus me realizing this....

After speaking to PW again, wheels were bought by my seller, one of the wheels was damaged by courier. Wheel sent back to PW who sent it off to Lepsons for fresh paint, unfortunately in the wrong colour. I have emailed Lepsons but no response since Wednesday so thinking of chucking wheels in the car Monday and getting them fitted after work if I finish at a good time. I think it's a small enough difference for me to live with it, I can't afford to pay to have it sorted, so was banking on a warranty job from Lepsons.

Naturally with new wheels I wanted to protect them so queue AutoShines AS03 wheel protector nano sealant. Once applied I should have a pretty protective coating against grime for up to 2 years.

Treated myself to some new brushes at the same time as my old yellow Megs one had met its maker.

I think I need to replace my window switches the all up/down works fine passenger side but once in a blue moon it works properly on drivers side.

Reactions: Ro55
Make sure you do the inside aswel,double the curing time and do it x2.
Then next day coat with your fave wax. and dont curb them!

Oh yes! Plan is to get them fitted, using my current rubber. Get home, take them off again and treat.

They first get a coat of Auto Shines Orange paint cleanser polish, then as you say 2 coats of the sealant inside and out.

I'm currently discipling my self, haven't cared about my wheels for such a long time so purposely watching curbs during parking. If I damage these babies I will cry.

What do you make of the colour difference? I've sent some mates the group shot and they've not even noticed.

Id be same as you,obvious colour difference.only a shade or 2 but still different..i still prefer the RS6 though ;)

Nah don't blame yah, the RS6 suit the car so well but I hate having reps and there pretty badly damaged now, but I wouldn't pay out to have reps refurbished.

Once they're on the car I don't think it will be that noticeable to be honest, just put the darker one on the rear so the lighter one gets more brake dust on it to balance it out ha ha.

Thing is if you got them for a really good price, then you can't really complain about it, and as you haven't dealt with the painters directly they will probably just fob you off.

Im getting mine refurbished as I can't decide on a new set. Hurry up get them fitted!

Lol year darker is going passenger rear so I won't see it as much. Hoping with the fancy polish and sealant brake dust shouldn't have a chance to build up!

Unfortunately finished a bit late today and tyre place was too busy to fit me in by the time I got to them. Wheels are in the car for tomorrow fitment hopefully.

Well a Lepsons refurb is £310, the accessories are £140 worth which leaves the wheels at 50 quid! So yer aint going to grumble too much and as i'm no ones customer I'm not getting very far. Lepsons haven't even replied to my email so as above, going ahead getting them fitted.

Drum roll please!!!

Well I was lucky I had reps on to be honest as otherwise I wouldn't of had the right bolts! my lockers were audi ones though which were radius instead of cone, so I'll nip into euros on way home tomorrow for them.

Only the 2 pics for tonight as was getting dark by time i got home, so they don't show there true colour. Odd wheel is more noticeable in the dark though.

Reactions: Ro55
I like em! But I can't help think they don't look as big as the ones in your sig?

Cheers, I think the same, they do look smaller but both still 18's the RS6 reps seem to of been ever so slightly a wider 8j as the tyres are sitting very square which is nice for added protection.

I remember you saying they were the same size, what do you think of them?

Love em, frilled to have sexy wheels again. It's great to see people looking at them in traffic.

I know they don't suit the A4 AS well as the RS6 but they are a better looking wheel than the RS6.

Here's something interesting though, both wheels weigh the same at 11kg. Always under the stigma that reps weigh a ton.

Wow the need for an update!

So apart from me putting a new pressure switch on to sort out the aircon (buy Genuine!) and then my boot latch needing to be replaced the biggest development is new wings! Hurray!

I eventually bought from ebay seller rsbodypanel2012

Only took me a month to fit them in the end.

So without any more delay.....the pictures!

First, strip down the front end, took a little longer than expected as I hadn't done it before.

Damaged old wings, crumpled and crumbled in my hands, paint ready to flake off in massive chunks.

Concerning areas of the subframe where the sound deadening was collecting water

All the muck scrapped out from drainage runs, side skirts and bottom of wings.

And finally the wings on, quick polish with Tonys orange rub then a coat of Megs Wax.

Chuffed to bits with the result, even if the colour is slightly different.

Well it's been a while so where to start!

In October after an op I wasn't able to drive for a while so was the perfect opportunity to get the car into a body shop to sort out the near arch and boot lid corrosion. Not overly pleased with the colour match but only noticeable when clean in the right light, but overall I'm happy as the rear arch was a mess from a previous owners accident and cheap repair.

Soon after than my drivers window reg went so another call to mjr901 had that sorted.

More recently she cost me best part of 900 quid for a service, cambelt and rear discs and pads, along with various advisories!

A couple of the advisories are now sitting on the kitchen table waiting to be fitted including a Bosch S4 096 battery and a tandem pump off a 2008 octavia as mines leaking.

Tears were recently brought to my eye due to stones attacking my wheels and winning! Been so careful with parking and then the paint collapses at the sight of a stone.

Due to @DrStrange and my limited sight with halogen bulbs I bought some LED bulbs for dipped beam and I'm very happy with them. I need to mod my new clear lense headlights to how I did them for HID's to mount the ballast and resistors neatly to act as a heat sink so for now I'm not fitting the resistor which fools the canbus system.

Just the sidelights (MTECH CREE)

And some new LED number plate lights as the 3 year old ones started to set off the warning constantly.

I've also had the dreaded camshaft wear advisory so that's now on the list of things to do this year. Although currently in the process of buying a new house which will cut down my mileage slightly.

Great to See Paul. Looking good after quite a long time. But these things happen.

You are not alone with the chips on your wheels. Its soul destroying when you put a lot of effort into making them prestine and spotless and a little tiny stone can chip the paint work right off!
Thats why I carry a small bottle of gloss black touch up paint.

I've now seen and heard a lot of good reviews about the wings from them, so I'm going to give them a go once the last frost has passed. I didn't have any wing rot until some kind soul decided to drive into my car in a car park and crumple my wing. The other side just has stone chips on the front edge, but I may as well do both at the same time.

Good plan DrStrange, I need to find a touch up pen that's close to my colour, at least then it won't corrode and bubble.

For the money you can't go far wrong Jimmy, they aren't a perfect fit but close enough for me. What happened to you is exactly why I don't want to spend out for genuine wings, yer you may as well then if the colour is out slightly like mine at least you then have a matching pair.

My drivers side is now 3 different colours...

Reactions: DrStrange
Your car's looking great, Paul.

With regards to those wings, the off color and fit are what would drive me nuts. I'm just too damn fussy to settle for aftermarket wings.

Thanks muchly.

It bugs me too but simply don't have 600+ to spend on genuine and proper paint job, it bugs me far less than looking at corrosion, paint flaking away, sunken paint and different colours on the same panel. (Yep the old ones were that messed up, up close)

I searched for a year for good nick 2nd hand genuine and only ones worth considering were in Germany and they wanted £170 each!

Apparently new roof, boiler and double glazing come first!?