My New A4 Avant B9

jryanuk

Reaction score
Hi all, so here goes...

Long time lurker, first time poster :) had 4 Audi’s now, two 8P A3's and one B8 A4, always found this website to be a great source of Audi knowledge!

However picked the below up at the end of Jan, all I can say is WOW, the car is just awesome! Had to share!

Spec is:

S Line 2.0 TDI Quattro S Tronic 190 PS
Daytona Grey
Alcantara Seats
Tech Pack
Virtual Cockpit
Matrix LED Headlights
Parking System Plus
Privacy Glass
V Spoke Alloys
Storage Pack

Done nearly 800 miles in her now, loving it, the virtual cockpit and the matrix lights are the best options on the car by far!

Attachments

• Audi A4 - 1.jpg
    Audi A4 - 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11,360
  • Audi A4 - 2 .jpg
    Audi A4 - 2 .jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12,578
  • Audi A4 - 3.jpg
    Audi A4 - 3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24,467
  • Audi A4 - 4.jpg
    Audi A4 - 4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12,156
Reactions: THQuattro, CHEZ, scotty76 and 4 others
Pleased you are enjoying the new car, just about to order mine and was wanting to check if the storage pack comes with stainless steel protector for the load area on the Avant.

I think I am getting a bit carried away with the options list but so much of it is useful.

Pleased you are enjoying the new car, just about to order mine and was wanting to check if the storage pack comes with stainless steel protector for the load area on the Avant.

I think I am getting a bit carried away with the options list but so much of it is useful.
Mine has the stainless steel protector not sure if it is part of the storage pack though, it doesn’t mention it as part of the pack in the brochure I downloaded from the Audi website.

Mine has the stainless steel protector not sure if it is part of the storage pack though, it doesn’t mention it as part of the pack in the brochure I downloaded from the Audi website.

It mentions it on the configurator as part of the storage pack for the Avant but as you say not in the brochure so just wanted to check.

Finally someone posting up pics of their B9!
Gorgeous car.
So how do you find the performance of the 190? What's you average mpg? Interested to know what it's like in the real world.
I have ordered the matrix lights but never experienced them yet.

Thanks! Like I said really pleased with it, not seen another one on the road yet! Performance more than enough for daily driving, at its best on the motorway. Compared to my old B8.5 it's so much more refined.

Around town MPG I'm getting 30, motorway around 40, although I must admit mostly 'spirited' driving! Reckon you could get close to 50 on a decent run if you took it easy.

The matrix lights are awesome, went out the other night and took it down some un-lit country roads, they just worked, no flashing from other cars etc... Very clever how they do it!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I test drove the heavier 2.0tdi 190 s tronic Quattro and found it very quick. I've ordered the 190 manual FWD so I'm hoping it will be nippier still.
The mpg your getting sounds about the same as I'm currently getting in my 2.0tfsi. I was hoping for better than that and I know you can't trust the advertised mpg from the manufacturers.

And your right, they are rare. I travel the country and I haven't seen one on the roads yet apart from demos.

Keep us all updated on how your finding the car etc. I've ordered the tech pack and virtual cockpit as well so I'm interested to know how your finding it and all it can do. Thanks in advance pal!

I have noticed the mpg better in this car than my B8 which was also a Quattro, my current commute is only 7.5 miles and was only getting 23mpg, the B9 is giving me around 30-33 average. Did get 40 the other day but that was early with no traffic and every light was green. I'm sure if you stick it in efficiency mode on a long run it will have no probs getting to the 50+ mark. Pretty sure the Quattro and S tronic has a massive impact on the mpg, when I changed from my A3 fwd manual I went from getting nearly 60 to struggling to get 43 in the B8 on the motorway, just kind of got used to the relatively low mpg now :-/

The pick up in the car is pretty good, especially in dynamic mode, granted the Quattro is heavier but there is no wheel spin what so ever. You certainly won't be disappointed with the performance of the 190, power whenever you need it and fun with it, prob why my mpg so low ha ha.

Can only imagine the 3.0 engines are more awesome still!

Virtual cockpit is awesome especially with a data SIM card so you can down load google maps etc, data usage does seem to be pretty high tho, used 1GB data over 600 miles, thought it might last a bit longer. Going to upgrade my data plan to 3GB per month.

Anything you want to know just give me a shout :)

Virtual cockpit is awesome especially with a data SIM card so you can down load google maps etc, data usage does seem to be pretty high tho, used 1GB data over 600 miles, thought it might last a bit longer. Going to upgrade my data plan to 3GB per month
I was under the impression that the car came with its own sim card and you can use it for 3 years if you spec the tech pack?

Nope, I thought the same thing but when asked the dealership they said no SIM card just a 3 year subscription to Audi connect and you have to pay the data charges.

Would be interested to see what your dealer says, hopefully they not had one over on me cos I will be straight back there getting my 3 years of data! Ha ha

that's a bit rubbish - i was looking forward to streaming music and not having to use my phone data to download podcasts :( will have to look for cheap data only plans

The wording on the configurator is a bit ambiguous

A separate data SIM card can be inserted in the SIM card reader.

Last edited:
On an entirely different matter, which dealer did you get the car from? What has the hand over like and did you get any freebies?

Yeah it is a bit! Just be careful which data provider you choose, I went with id which are part of carphone warehouse on a 1GB per month plan for £7.50/month (not really knowing how much data it would use) went over it by 100MB and they charged me an extra £14!! Long story short there is no option to cap the data plan so you only use the 1GB, so told them to shove it and once the 30day contact period has expired will be going with somebody else!!

Will prob go with 3 next as they look to be the next cheapest.

Dealer was Manchester Audi, got a cracking deal when you take into account the negative equity I had in the B8. Most I got out of them freebie wise was a boot liner and half tank of fuel tho!

Handover was pretty special, was the first B9 out of the dealership, was dark when I got there the car was in the handover room had its lights on under the throw all ready for the big reveal, all pretty special! :)

They told me all the data etc was included!!! I will be rightfully f*cked off if I have to fork out!!! It does say in the brochures that it's free for 3 years with the tech pack!

Yeah I thought the exact same thing, the brochure description is very ambiguous, let us know what your dealer says, will be good to get a different dealers view on it!!

You only need a separate SIM if your phone does not support rsap.

iPhones don't support rsap but android generally does.

I buy a 6 GB sim from eBay which lasts 90 days. It's on EE and costs £15. Have done this for the last 2 years for the car. It doesn't use much data although initially it gobbled some up but my family use it a lot when we are out. The kids have used 6gb in one weekend before by streaming TV!

Yeah I have an iPhone and I also found out that I won't be able to use the wireless charging function!

The wireless feature is pretty useless really because you have to plug the phone in to use CarPlay.

You can buy a case to convert an iPhone to wireless charging but I am not going to bother.

jryanuk

Keep us updated on how your finding the car mate, if you don't mind. It would be good to have a real world owner perspective.

ScottishS3 no worries, trying to be frugal got 42mpg this morning on my short commute :) Will keep you updated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,459
Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and A4B9
looks like you get 12GB in total over 12 months. Not a bad deal if the three coverage is any good.

looks like you get 12GB in total over 12 months. Not a bad deal if the three coverage is any good.
unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, I don't imagine it'll be any good

Do you notice much difference in the settings like between efficiency and dynamic settings?

I think giff gaff are the best for data and price although O2 network does not have the widest coverage.

EE is the best for coverage and not much difference in price between giff gaff.

Does EE allow you to take out another SIM card to put into the car and share your data? I have 5gb and I barely make a dent on that

On YourAudi it has missed off my flat bottom steering wheel and piano black interior trim. I phoned Audi and they said don't believe what is on YourAudi as it has just launched and has loads of teething problems.

And I can confirm that if you have an iPhone you will definitely need to install another SIM card. Android phones will use data from the phone.

Do you notice much difference in the settings like between efficiency and dynamic settings?

I think giff gaff are the best for data and price although O2 network does not have the widest coverage.

EE is the best for coverage and not much difference in price between giff gaff.
You can definitely feel the difference between efficiency and dynamic mode. Efficiency feels like everything is restricted and dulled down, put it in dynamic and it all feels a lot sharper and more responsive. Plant your foot down and it picks up and your going at the speed limit before you know it!

Hey mate, what tyres did you get on the 19" wheels?

So what the best way to listen to music? Steam it through apple car play or through the memory card option? (I might need to buy a memory card ready for mine)

Hi mate it came with Hankook ventus s1 evo2's, not had much experience with Hankook tyres but these seem to be holding up ok, no issues throwing it in to corners etc.

I use the apple play to listen to music, I have a large memory on my iPhone so can keep all my music on there. Not tried steaming music or the SD card option.

Just noticed as well I have two accounts set up on here one jimouk and one jryanuk. Must have set them up over the years and not used them. One is logged in on my laptop and the other one on my phone, either way both of them are me! Ha ha

Thanks mate. It's interesting to know how your finding your options as all the demos I've driven have been basic.

I'm disappointed with hankook tyres considering the expensive price of upgrading the wheels to 19"!!!
Hankook are like a top range budget tyre and not even mid or top range. I thought they might be Audi's usual Continental at least!
I've ordered the same wheels as you.

Yeah TBH I was surprised with the Hankook as well, all other new Audi's I have owned have had Conti's on them. All the B9 A4's at Manchester Audi had Hankook tyres on, must be cost saving thing for Audi!!

Having said that just looked on Event Tyres and that tyre is the same price as a Pirelli pzero Nero gt add £16 for a conti contisport contact 3.

But like I said I've had no issues with them so far.

Will give you an update on the extras as I get used to them/use them a bit more.

Spot on mate!

Continentals, albeit great on grip, don't last long and are noisy as hell, so no great loss.

Would have loved Goodyear F1's.