1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

My new 2001 S3 discovery..

Blancomcr Feb 10, 2020

1. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Sorry guys, I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to navigating forums. Just joined.

Anywho, I recently bought this 1 owner 2001 S3 in Dolphin grey. AJQ Engine. Serviced every year from new at Listers Seat main stealer. Even has original nbr plates. In molested 145k miles. Oddly, it’s been sat for a while and needs a good “detail” (valet).

I joined as I’ll probably be pestering people with stupid questions along the way.

Thanks guys.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. JohnM100

JohnM100 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Team Navarra Audi S3 Black Edition

Congrats on the purchase.

However, you are in the wrong section - this should be in the A3 8L section. A Moderator can move it for you.

Sandra likes this.
  4. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Ahhhh my apologies. I’ll figure this out eventually.

5. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group S tronic Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

Moved to 8l section. Welcome to Audi-sport.net

6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Welcome... I will say though that it is not an AJQ engine code as this is not an S3 code at all... Chances are its an AMK being a 2001...

If for some reason though it says AJQ on the head tab then its most likely had a replacement head in its life (although possibly a full engine)

<tuffty/>

7. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Ahhhh thanks Tufty, I’ll have a proper look tomorrow.

8. JohnM100

JohnM100 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Team Navarra Audi S3 Black Edition

@Blancomcr - now you are in the right place there is a lot of good info here and knowledgable people to help.

I loved my 8L when I had it - from a driving perspective I never felt so connected to a car before or since. 108k miles of heaven, despite its flaws.

9. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Thanks John.
    So..must have had a head? Engine? Any idea where I’ll find engine nbr?[​IMG]

10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Engine number can be found on the block (circled in red) here...
    enginenumber.jpg

<tuffty/>

11. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Thanks again Tufty.

So, it’s an AJQ head on a AMK block.
    I’m presuming, as the car was owned by an older gentleman with main dealer history it was done by them.

Having worked at many a main dealer I know calling is pointless but I’ll have a go anyway.

Anyone know of the benefits of AJQ on AMK?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. <tuffty/>

no benefit at all... 20v head castings (small port in this case) are all the same... I suspect it had either cracked head (very common on AMK/BAM) or the cam belt went and damaged the head... either way I suspect it was cheaper for a previous owner to have the head replaced using a second hand part than a new factory part...

A dealer will have been ok to do this I would imagine... not the first time I have seen this done

<tuffty/>

14. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Ahhhh got ya. Cambelt was replaced at 78 (now at 140k).

Going to change belt, pump etc next week at some point hopefully.

I’m a panel beater/painter, I’ll leave the body until the greasy stuff is done.

Thanks for all your help
    (Not closure, I’ll be pestering along the way).

15. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

Home.
    Any idea what/which engine is best for replacement? I have access to AGU,BAM,AJQ,AUM and some other I can’t remember.[​IMG]

16. <tuffty/>

Does the engine need replacing?

<tuffty/>

17. Blancomcr

Blancomcr New Member

No the current engine is fine. I work as a painter/panelbeater and the numerous times TT’s Golfs etc have come in as total loss right offs and I can take what I like from them.
    Next one, I’ll whip the engine out and rebuild at my leisure as the current has 145 and probably hasn’t been rebuilt.

18. <tuffty/>

Transverse 1.8t's are all more or less the same mechanically... really depends what your plans are going forward for the upgrade/tuning side...

If you plan a rebuild of the engine with rods and a rebore then arguably any of the engine codes you mention are fine... main difference is the cam chain tensioner (VVT/Non VVT) and the rods (19mm vs 20mm pin)

If planning to do a full build of a 20v (I doubt you will find a 20v thats not worn) then just go for some thing as new and as low mileage as poss... AUM or BAM are a decent choice if you can get one... or a 1.8t from the later Polo 9N just so you know the base engine will be sound for a rebuild...

<tuffty/>