I have 'fitted' it into the centre vent for now as I am still running my mechanical boost gauge in my drivers vent.

<tuffty/>

hi paul
hows it going
would just like to thank you for the speedy postang of the turbo and what not.
hows the car going
any vids of the beast yet?

hi paul
hows it going
would just like to thank you for the speedy postang of the turbo and what not.
hows the car going
any vids of the beast yet?

Hi mate... no probs, I wrapped it all up as best I could so the courier would damage it :)

Cars going fine, off to the dyno in the morning for the moment of truth...

I will have my camera and video camera too so hopefully get some decent footage of the car doing some runs on the dyno...

<tuffty/>

Can't wait to see the video's of this beast!!! :D
Thanks for the build log Tuffty, been dead interesting to read and see what goes into this kinda stuff :)

Been a very long day so gonna keep it fairly short as I am going to collapse into the sofa...

First of all the N75 pipe blew (sure it was tight) which threw us for a bit then VAGCOM was reporting requested and actual boost of around 1.5bar but my boost gauge was only showing one so changed the MAP sensor to see if that was the prob and it wasn't... check for obvious boost leaks but couldn't find any so will look properly when I can. Might be the actuator being problematic or maybe the N75... will look into this and see if I can find the missing half a bar of boost...

After a few logging runs, it became evident that the injectors were getting near to being on all the time... we hit 20ms on time when 22/23ms is just on.... looking at a 4bar FPR I think to give me some overhead.

Anyhoo... settled on 1 bar of boost for now until I can find out what the prob is and did some runs...

383bhp and 326ftlbs torques....

Both curves are as smooth as you like with power climbing on boost from around 3600rpm to peak at 6600rpm, torque climbing from a similar figure to a peak at 5500rpm.

Car feels very nice to drive now...

EGT's are a bit of a problem getting a little high... changing the exhaust should help keep them in check and I won't be looking for more boost just yet as they will get worse and cause probs.

Considering how much power she is producing on just 1 bar of boost, there isn't much I need to do to get 400bhp so I will look at making a few tweaks to sort any potential reliability issues out and then tweak the boost up a bit.

The extra boost will of course give me more torque so at least while its a little on the low side my clutch will last a bit longer ;P

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Reactions: hydro s3
383bhp and 326ftlbs torques....

Both curves are as smooth as you like with power climbing on boost from around 3600rpm to peak at 6600rpm, torque climbing from a similar figure to a peak at 5500rpm.

That is impressive,I spoke to Vince about 2'ish and he said about the pipes and maf so no dyno then.
Paul are you happy with the power or is it a matter of wait and see after a few weeks ?

I tell you what i want (Nay NEED) that power in my car. Overtaking on the way home was such a chore as your car just breezes past things, no fuss and then stands on it's nose.

It was a long day, i feel we have learnt a lot from today one way or another. I think i may well get Vince to sort mine out when i get to the hybrid.

That SL55 AMG drivers face must have been a picture..........

I am happy with the results of the whole project tbh... when you consider all I have essentially done is bolt a big turbo on with no fancy and expensive extras (other than the essentials to support the turbo), its a great power increase. I am only really bothered about the little probs as they get in the way of enjoying the car at the moment... Once I have those snaggy bits sorted I think I will be happier but thats only due to me being so OCD about getting stuff right. Some people can live with these little issues but I don't consider myself doing a good job unless its to a standard I am happy with...

Little more to do and a bit more power to be had... 400bhp is now a realistic target while retaining the original goal of lots of power without turning it into something form the Fast and Furious...

<tuffty/>

Tom, seriously, it's crazy.

0 to 70 is a snap :eyebrows:

:busted_cop:

I have some vids and pics, but will let Paul sort his shiz out first, it's been a long **** day,lol

Tom, seriously, it's crazy.

0 to 70 is a snap :eyebrows:

:busted_cop:

Quality.....if he gets the fuzz behind him he can just leave them for dust now :eyebrows: No way an S60's going to keep up with that :)

Quality.....if he gets the fuzz behind him he can just leave them for dust now :eyebrows: No way an S60's going to keep up with that :)

Nope... they will just be waiting on the door step when I get home :(

Does the traffic guys make allowances for trying to upset M3 drivers? Its a fair defence I feel :jester:

<tuffty/>

Nope... they will just be waiting on the door step when I get home :(

"My number plate just fell off, officer" :ninja:

Does the traffic guys make allowances for trying to upset M3 drivers? Its a fair defence I feel :jester:

<tuffty/>

All I can say is that they should look at every case on its own 'merit' and then decide the most appropriate course of action to take with the driver. That could be a ticket, it could be a quiet word ;)

Oh, and every BMW driver I've ever stopped has given it large to me (BMW drivers eh?), so that excuse may or may not stand up if BMW drivers are the same all over the country :)

Judging from the looks I was getting from the SLK driver today, an M3 drivers face would be a picture ;P

"soz officer, that M3 driver kinda deserved it... look at his little face!!!!"

<tuffty/>

After yesterdays fun and games I spent a bit of time trying to find out whats going on...

Bill suggested checking the boost pressure post MAP sensor to see if the the actual boost being made is correct... connected a boost gauge to the N75 outlet on the top charge pipe and took it for a run up the road... my gauge showed 1 bar and the other one showed nearly 2 bar... something was definitely not right...

Was gearing up to take the bumper off and check all the boost pipes when I noticed the FPR pipe looked a little shabby so thought I would just look that quickly as that is where the gauge is tee'd from and ****** me...

20091031_IMG_3859.jpg

...pipe had split under the manifold... I checked these before refitting the mani and deemed them ok... looking at it, the vacuum pipes coming off the end of the manifold (hard pipes) have been rubbing up against it and bingo!!

So replaced this and bang.... 1.7/1.8bar of boost, quick map change and the car feels even better than before.... much better pull in third now :)

While I was messing about under the bonnet, I also tidied up the N249 bypass by removing the pipes and vacuum reservoir but still leaving the N249 valve electrically connected to stop the ECU from complaining...

20091031_IMG_3860.jpg

20091031_IMG_3861.jpg

Going to do some logging tomorrow to see how the adaption is coping with fuelling and maybe tweak the map some more....

Just goes to show how much trouble one little pipe can cause... it was giving erroneous boost readings and affecting the fuelling as the FPR wasn't working properly which incorrect pressure... Hoping that logging the injectors tomorrow will show that they are not maxing out anymore...

<tuffty/>

I had a problem with the pipe to my FPR i replaced it with a silicone pipe as it would be more resistent to wear.

Fuel preasure regulator.
At the end of the injector rail. It has a small vacume pipe that comes off it,
The pipe goes under the inlet and has a habit of rubbing through.

oh yeah, thats the first pipe i ever had to replace :)

silly thing is i knew it as the fuel pressure reg too haha...cheers mate

when little annoying hoses pop off and wear thru, it sends trying to map the thing into wild goose chase mode.. as Paul has seen 1st hand. the silliest of hoses being off, makes the fueling completely off..

The Fuel Pressure Regulator (3bar) also runs on vacuum, dropping to 2.5bar on idle, or in the case of tufftys, 3bar on idle, so now its fixed, its too lean down bottom, with adaption working hard to pull it back to its lambda 1.. and under boost, as it was under fueling & lean cos it was at best 4bar @ reggy where it should have been 4.8bar, its lean under boost hence injector duty cycles at one point being said to be nearly at their max.

logging and adjusting now, to try and pull things back again. all takes time, which is ££ when at the rollers as per Friday.

It desperately needs a flowing exhaust on it. Stock(tired) old rear box is choking its flow, which in turn is unwanted backpressure whent he GT30R want to rip, the revs and peak power is earlier than it should be, and egt's become a factor at this point.

its a nice driving setup. spool is good for stock bore, non mod engine.
some fmic pipework adjustment to aid flow will help things also.
bill

...so in conclusion... lol...

I need an exhaust now, as Bill says its causing me probs. Vince at Stealth Racing was quite surprised when he found out I was still running an OEM exhaust and still producing that kind of power.

Might try the same guy A3Tom got his system from, failing that MIJ... I want a 3" system really so see where I can get a good price... also depends on the silencers too... some custom exhaust places have been known to use 2.5" pipework but the silencers have had smaller internal pipework which defeats the object really... will do a bit of research.

I have also spoken to Alex from AH Fabrications where I got my FMIC made up. I am looking to replace the 51mm outlets with 60mm O/D pipes out the end tanks that curve round the slam panel like the 51mm silicon does. The 51mm silicon is around 61mm O/D so in theory, if they fit then so should the alloy. That will mean I can retain 60mm charge pipework more or less all the way round. The only bit I won't be changing is the MAP sensor tube which is a particular shape to fit around between the lights and the battery. I may look into replicating this at some point but not just yet.

Seeing as my car was producing 383bhp with a boost leak and with the fuelling not yet right, 400bhp doesn't seem that unachievable now. Will look to sort the exhaust as soon as cash flow allows and same goes for the FMIC pipework. Then back on the rollers for another try.

<tuffty/>

Just shows you really. If you can flow 380+bhp through the standard system why would we upgrade it when just running a k04!

I don't have access to a scanner so apologies for the poor quality but here is a pic of the power graph...

20091101_IMG_3883.jpg

<tuffty/>

As Bill says... granted its producing good power with the OEM exhaust on but the back pressure is causing high EGT's and is effecting power and efficiency quite badly now.

If it was just about the performance then I prob wouldn't worry about it right now and change the exhaust when its knackered... trouble is the high EGT's actually threw a fault code (EGT max temp exceeded) and thats set at 1100 degrees. High EGT's normally indicate lean mixture which isn't the case here, the gases are being backed up and not getting out quickly enough thus spiking the EGT's.

In this case changing the exhaust is necessary due to exceeding the limit of power its capable of flowing effectively... Its not just hurting performance, its a potential engine breaker at this point...

Looking at a 3" SS system to sort this out...

<tuffty/>

Let us know how you go on with the new fabrication of the FMIC when you get round to it tufty, if the new set up works ill be following, when my car's fixed lol.

Nice work Tuffty. Glad it's all come together nicely. I hope to race you at Inters??? (Not for 'pinks' though obviously).

Re. The exhaust.. straight through 3" FTW :eyebrows:

Nice work Tuffty. Glad it's all come together nicely. I hope to race you at Inters??? (Not for 'pinks' though obviously).

Depends on clutch/gearbox status... syncro is a bit iffy on third but not going to do owt about it until the clutch needs doing. I don't really want to lunch either if I can help it... Should be in a position to have done it by then in which case I may do but its not my thing really... rolling start like last nights 335i incident is more clutch friendly...

Re. The exhaust.. straight through 3" FTW :eyebrows:

I was going to just remove the whole system to the DP and run it up and down the road quickly to see the difference but chickened out ;P

<tuffty/>

Well, there may have been a 335i up my chuff when I pulled away from some lights on a private road somewhere in the world last night who was a good 400 or so yards behind me by the time I was going for 5th.... thats all I'm saying...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3
I just about to order my rods, valves and springs for my build and was thinking what head gasket and bolts are you using?

I'm sure your using a MLS head gasket but are you using the stud and nut kits or standard bolts?

brillant thread just read the whole lot lol, great work tuffty bet it shifts, i also love the way its still looks near factory under bonnet

Thanks mate... still a few things to finish off before I am happy with this stage of the mods...

Exhaust is next on the list. I was going to get one from a custom exhaust place but decided that I would prefer to build my own so looking into getting the bits together at the moment and will post up the results when done.

Must get the turbo to block water pipe ordered though as its looking decidedly pink where coolant is seeping out....

Managed to change the fuel pump fittings to the proper stainless steel ones now with proper sealing washers as I had Bill's pre-production ones in that were mild steel.
fuel-fittings-pump-1.jpg

Also fitted a hanger to the lower section of the downpipe where the OEM one hangs, had to mod the original hanger that bolts to the subframe as the V-Band joining the lower part of the DP was hitting it. Now sorted as the weight had pulled the DP down a bit and was hitting the heat shielding of the steering rack.

<tuffty/>