1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

My minor modding thread

<tuffty/> Jul 29, 2009

1. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

Is there any advantage of the drp gearbox over the other v6 boxes? they seem to be a bit of a premium on them

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Its alledged the ratios are better but not really noticed tbh...

The gear boxes are the earlier type with the tapered bearings...

I need to have a quick look at the R32 box seeing as it wasn't the cause of my issue and get rid... Did think of keeping it as a spare but tbh I don't have the space really

<tuffty/>

4. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

Just looking at a gear box of a y reg 4motion but not sure on the code but let me know if it works it’s way to the classified section, ive got my motivation back to get this moving

<tuffty/> likes this.
  5. IanPG

IanPG Well-Known Member Team Nogaro Blue Silver Supporter Audi S3

You can tell the drp’s from the others because they have the solid casing that is all alloy. Like your S3 one.

the “not so good” boxes have a couple of plastic caps held in with C clips.
    23590979-EDC5-4565-9F2B-1550EB831312.jpeg

6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I think you mean by 'not so good' you mean works fine but not as desirable as the DRP gearbox :) (killing my sales pitch here man!! lol)

Anyhoo... now that I can actually drive the car at last I have had a chance to get the VE table in a happy place...
    tuffty_R32_15_trims001.PNG.jpg

Big thanks to Brian for his ninja log reading skills and assistance in this... the car drives nicely albeit at a pace that even the A2 would be potentially ashamed off... but she does sound rather awesome so I can live with that... for now!!..

Will be playing with VVT next as thats currently not enabled just because I can... not expecting much to be honest as the FMIC pretty much kills top end power at the moment but I don't really care...

I have some stuff to do on the A2 for now anyway so this will be it for the S3 for now... I have a few more odds and sods to get for the turbo conversion and a couple of bits to sort out how to implement but the conversion won't happen until the new year anyway..

<tuffty/>

hawesy25, baliszoft and desertstorm like this.
  7. IanPG

IanPG Well-Known Member Team Nogaro Blue Silver Supporter Audi S3

oops! Sheißen!

<tuffty/> likes this.
  8. baliszoft

baliszoft Member

How come the area above 100kpa is empty? ;)

<tuffty/> likes this.
  9. <tuffty/>

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 11.35.47.png

...this :)

<tuffty/>

10. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

needs boosts

desertstorm, S3AMJ and <tuffty/> like this.
  11. <tuffty/>

On it!!... well once the turbo's hotside has obliged by separating from the CHRA of course :)

<tuffty/>

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. <tuffty/>

Interesting day today... tried out some fellas spangly dyno :)

IMG_20200201_125733.jpg IMG_20200201_133356.jpg tuffty-3.2NA-2020201-001.png

So... as you may have noticed, power and torque isn't particularly spectacular... in fact Bills 3.2TT did 251hp/236ftlb the day before...

I am however running conservative timing low down and as of yet no VVT and these engines respond quite well to vvt low down so I am told... I am also running 8.9:1 cr and a short runner inlet manifold whilst breathing through 63mm pipework and a FMIC... not ideal for a normally aspirated engine :)

The power is where I expected tbh and this serves as a baseline for the next round of tuning which will of course lead to being turbocharged

<tuffty/>

hydro s3, Vex182, S3AMJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tj 0785

Looks like a lot more room in the new shop, is it far from the old garage, when do you plan on starting the turbo conversion?

15. <tuffty/>

About 10 miles from the old workshop... its very big indeed... (fnarrr!)

Not sure when I will make a start on the turbo conversion as yet... I need to still try and split the hotside off my turbo so I can clock it correctly... and of course there needs to be enough space to have the car at Bill's for a bit while I do the work so will wait my turn...

I am not in any great hurry though and tbh I have quite a few other distractions going on at the moment that need my attention but it will get done when Bill has a space to accommodate me..

<tuffty/>

16. badger5

space, is something we will at least have in the new place..
    time not so much with everything going on and the disruption the move inevitably causes.

We will get there tho :)

Alex C likes this.
  17. HOGG

HOGG Active Member

Until you fill it full of other peoples projects lmao

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

S3AMJ likes this.
  18. badger5

lol, you're not wrong.
    4 x customer project cars in there already. not even moved in yet
    (this weekend that happens) eak!