1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mind is made up.....No more wax......

jassyo06 Feb 25, 2018

1. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

l really cant be ***** applying a wax these days....too much like hard work,for example i again machine polished the bonnet,then machine polished the rear bumper today,l then applied the AUHD wax to both the wax seemed to dull the freshly polished surface after l buffed it off,besides that what a pain in the tits it is,my mind is 110% made up a ceramic coating is going on the car as soon as the weather picks up

1.For the above reason
    2.My paint seems to be very soft and swirls easily.....even the door sills have fine swirls after very careful washing in just 4 months
    3 The Car is going to get at least 2 coatings of CSL and 2 coatings of EX0v3....hard work short term but far easier to maintain long term.
    Waxing a car is hard work.....not done applied one over a full car for a few years....usually fire on a liqiud Nano sealant which gives better results...like Dodo Juice Futor Armor.....

Nah l am Waxed oot

Rob2k68, 45bvtc, q5man and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

Amen. :) I have a pot of AG HD wax still less than half finished in the garage. Don't get me wrong 6 years ago when I bought it it was epic. But times change. I am very time poor between work and family. Ceramics help me get the level I want from the time I have. Wash and spray sealant topup is all it takes to keep my car and the Mrs looking great.

Enjoy @jassyo06.

q5man and jassyo06 like this.
  4. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator MQB Platform

@jassyo06 @scotty76 - Must be just me as I prefer waxing. Find it kind of therapeutic in a weird sort of a way lol

But to be fair I do have the time & a double garage which helps immensely

I may feel differently if I had a black car or one with delicate paint tho' ...

q5man, Raiden, scotty76 and 2 others like this.
  5. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Yeah mate l think this voodoo paint is very delicate indeed, l mean finding fine scratches on the door sills somes it up really ,l have managed to machine polish/correct most of the paint on the car barring the sills lol , so when that's done with l will give the paint a final jewelling, then fire on the CSL and EXOv3, that in turn should give the sharper gloss finish l am looking for,, the applicator that comes with ultra high definition wax looks the business but in use its not

MattSedg and Audib5fan like this.
  6. jassyo06

My time at the weekends now like most is precious like you say

7. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter

This is the biggest reason I see waxing dying off. I am also heading the same direction. My new A4 got Gtechniq Ultra applied, and it is amazing so far. I just washed it yesterday, and commented to myself now great it looked. I just applied some snowfoam to the S1 which is wax protected, and I could see the paintwork is full of swirls.....made me ****** of just looking at it!

jassyo06 likes this.
  8. jassyo06

Gtechniq Ultra very very nice mate, not available to the hobbyist though, personally l don't have any qualms applying the ceramic coatings myself and l do know it will take me 2 days to apply both coatings . .. But in the long term it will be worth it.... So photos of yer new car.. .. Tut tut lol

q5man and Audib5fan like this.
  9. Bristle Hound

Audib5fan likes this.
  10. pxr5

pxr5 Active Member Team Mythos A7 Owner Group Black Edition quattro TDi S-line owners group

I Love waxing too. It's theraputic lol. Ceramic coatings - meh!!

JamesBaby likes this.
  11. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Active Member

I must admit that since I no longer work shifts (less time off in the week) I get less time to detail but still enjoy the look of the car after a good polish & wax.

12. Avatar

13. Raiden

Raiden Well-Known Member

After watching that video I think i'll stick with waxing. Picked up a new car over the weekend with a few light scratches on it and I was debating if I should put a coating on it. Think its not for me

Bristle Hound likes this.
  14. jassyo06

The thing with wax its too time consuming and too expensive once you start buying/trying all types, its messy and prone to ghosting on flat panels like doors if too much is applied to them, l could cover my car with a ceramic coating quicker .. Yeah curing time is much longer but l wont have to get a machine polisher out every second week thinning down the clear coat

scotty76 and Audib5fan like this.
  15. DohNut

DohNut Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

I do like the finish of a good wax and applying it is, I find, very satisfying but the trouble with detailing in general is it’s very labour intensive. It is for this reason that the first trip in my new car, when it arrives, will be to a detailer to get a ceramic coating applied. I can then do a simple maintenance wash weekly and, if need be, enhance the gloss further with a quick detailer or the like. I might even get the wax out if the mood takes me!

Personally I think detailing will be something for retirement.

scotty76 likes this.
  16. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

Ceramic coating all the way, I applied SiRAMIK SC15 on my A6 last year and water is still beading off it nicely.

My A6 is also Moonlight Blue (Very dark blue almost black) and was having trouble with fly's etching themselves onto the bumper, the wax coating that I applied when I got the car new did not stop this but the ceramic coating has. It's also been far easier to maintain the bodywork on the car.

My wifes new A3 is being collected in a couple of days time and the first thing being done to it is the ceramic coating, the only problem I face is washing the car in the current temperatures......

q5man likes this.
  17. martin1984

martin1984 Well-Known Member Team Silver Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

what did you end up getting a R ??

18. martin1984

i find waxing relaxing although end result can be dissapoint as i do it by hand no da or rotor to help (due to funds) and takes ages

19. Raiden

Raiden Well-Known Member

Yep finally bought one. When this cold snap stops it will get a deep clean

martin1984 likes this.
  20. THQuattro

THQuattro Site Sponsor Site Sponsor Team Avus Silver Team V8 Team V6 VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Team Panther Team Silver Audi RS4 saloon Audi S4 Audi A4 quattro Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

Buy a Dacia don't clean it have more drinking time.

45bvtc and jassyo06 like this.
  21. DohNut

DohNut Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

You mean polish by hand, right? Never heard of wax being applied with a machine. I’ve never polished by hand. Waaay too much hard work.

22. martin1984

i mean all as wash clay paint correction polish wax if funds alloud ive havea d.a to do most steps including wax
    yea i do it all from start to finish by hand and for the last year as i moved in to a flat middle floor no hose pipe bucket up down someting i give it a quick pre was a jet wash.

23. gazza53

gazza53 Member

What make of coating are you having on the A3?

24. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

SiRAMIK SC15 same as applied to my A6, I just cannot fault it. I've had some expensive waxes over the years from zymol concours to swissvax shield and the SC15 has beaten them hands down.

25. gazza53

gazza53 Member

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Hope the new car collection goes ok today in all this snow.

26. Audib5fan

Audib5fan 4 rings <3

I was gonna going to get a ceramic coating but every time I watch forsenic detailing I get put off and as well you got keep buying these top ups and extras so I’m just sticking with a wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. scotty76

I do enjoy waxing but I do not have the time. Until I'm retired (in about 100 years the way it's going) ceramics are my no. 1 choice. I understand there's hype but is that much different to wax? Swissvax Crystal Rock anyone? :)

Based on 4 years experience of ceramics I won't be going back until I'm old and cantankerous (rather than just cantankerous). :D

There are no right answers in detailing, merely what works best for you. Choose what you like best and enjoy it!

45bvtc, q5man, Bristle Hound and 4 others like this.
  28. Bristle Hound

This ^ oh very much this ! :thumbs up:

45bvtc and Audib5fan like this.
  29. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter Team Cornflower Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Audi RS3 Audi TT Audi A1

I NEVER wax. Used to, and I do have the time (way into retirement), but no more.

For 5-years now, maybe more, I wash each car (RS3, TT, and A1) with 1-bucket of clean tap water (sad, I know) and a dash of Simonize wash and wax. I then quickly rinse with DI water - tap water running first through an Aqua Gleam '30' ppm filter and then an Aqua Gleam '0' ppm filter.

Aqua Gleam.JPG

Summer and winter the same. No need to dry-off, either. And the same filters for 5-years now...

And when possible, and regularly, a fast/quick wipe over with Poor Boys Spray and Gloss Quick Detailer or Poor Boys Quick Detailer QD+, whichever comes to hand first; and that's it, alloy wheels an' all.

The Poor Boys sure makes the DI water run off faster...

Oh, and no polishing scratches or swirls... [​IMG]

And both cars are 2011 - the Sahara sand TT in the foreground will be out later today:

Aqua Gleam 2.JPG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  30. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Well-Known Member Regional Rep Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter

I like your style! Unfortunately my OCD won't let me do this just yet, but hopefully as time goes on it will :yes:

Bristle Hound and 45bvtc like this.
  31. scotty76

45bvtc likes this.
  32. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter Team Cornflower Blue Team Daytona Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Audi RS3 Audi TT Audi A1

Yep, I used to manufacture the very same, scotty76, just a little larger:

upload_2018-3-16_16-35-14.png

scotty76 likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. jassyo06

Stunning Stunning RS3....Is it not painted in Cornflower Blue....ie a Flat paint,same as my Voodoo Blue....Flat paint and that swirls/marks just by looking at it....

45bvtc likes this.
  35. jassyo06

Now l know why you chose Cornflower Blue..............lol

45bvtc likes this.
  36. 45bvtc

It is indeed Cornflower blue, jassy006, and it is a 'flat' paint - blue with a purple ting.

And here with RS3copilot just off to dry the brakes - note the one 'wash' bucket:

jassyo06 and Bristle Hound like this.
  37. 45bvtc

In October 2011 there were just two RS3 available here in the UK, one in Daytona grey and one Cornflower blue. The Audi order book was full and all were sold. However, while we preferred the Daytona grey the spec of the Cornflower blue won the day. Not a lot of choice, really...

See the advert: https://www.dkeng.co.uk/Vehicle_Archive/219/Audi_RS3.html

No longer available, obviously... :yahoo:

jassyo06 and Bristle Hound like this.
  38. Raiden

Raiden Well-Known Member

Watched a video of a Evo having a ceramic coating done. The brand was 'modesta' and the detailer using it said it was a piece of **** to apply and lasted longer than other stuff on the market. Did look good. Has anyone used it? Never heard of them

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2018
  39. Frozenr6

Frozenr6 Member

So I am wanting to use ceramic coating as well, oddly I am meeting resistance to applying it on a panther black car, I have not gotten the whole story why yet, but curious has anyone done it or been rejected. I guess I am looking for the results or reasons?

40. scotty76

Don't have Panther Black but am on my second ceramic coating on Phantom Black. Not had any issues.

41. B5NUT

Not panther black but this is my wife new car after ceramic coating. It was done a few weeks back and the car is now so much easier to clean. This was done with SiRAMIK products http://proglasscoat.com/

upload_2018-3-28_22-7-17.png
    upload_2018-3-28_22-12-14.png

Pinky1959, Bristle Hound and jassyo06 like this.
  42. B5NUT

My A6 completed today, also coated in SiRAMIK. I applied the coating to the car last year however it was done outside and that evening it rained so ended up with water marks that would not wash off. So yesterday it was washed clayed, machine polished to removed the old ceramic coating and new coating reapplied, then left overnight to dry.
    upload_2018-3-29_21-37-47.png
    upload_2018-3-29_21-38-28.png

Soon as the car was driven out the rain came down.... Still beading nicely with the new coating, and the class was coated in Sc Vision
    upload_2018-3-29_21-40-9.png

upload_2018-3-29_21-41-16.png

jassyo06 likes this.
  43. teamspb

teamspb Member

As already pointed out, theres alot of myths and urban legands surrounding ceramics etc

I started using ceramics around 4-5 years back and all I ever recommend now are them...my favourite brands are Gtechniq and Gyeon...havent tried much else as I get on so well with these...all of our cars are protected using the above products and even I wouldnt go back to using a wax unless it was for a show...and even then, its a maybe depending on lighting/indoor/outdoor etc

Before that, my go to wax was Dodo Blue Velvet and Zaino range of products...since making the switch, they are just sat there in the garage collecting dust!

The initial outlay of a ceramic is alot more money, but they do last so much longer - years as opposed to weeks...gloss is always up there too

In regards to maintenance, its the same as a wax coating...you will top up a wax coating using spray detailers etc...much like you do with a ceramic coating...you dont have to, but you can! And in this respect, they dont need to be dedicated for the coating, most coatings will work well with most top up coats/spray detailers

The additional bonus besides the durability of a ceramic, is its resistance to swirls when washing and maintaining the car, thats a BIG bonus where I have found TONS of reduced marks on the paint after a years vs a wax which generally offers little to no protection to the paint

Wax has its uses and is always a pleasure to carry out, but ceramics have taken over for me