My little S3 build

vtecas

Reaction score
Hi guys

Well, here is my little on going project from Portugal.
It's a audi S3 APY, bought it with just 90.000km and its pretty much stock till now.

First thing done was a thermostat replacement,engine oil,gearbox and haldex oil and filter changed. Dog bog was also changed.

Here he is in stock form
IMG_20140207_131124_zpspya4ao1m.jpg

Then did the n249 by-pass, its a temporary solution
IMG_20140812_135327_zpsb23logey.jpg

IMG_20140812_200815_zpspfzgefoa.jpg

Then found some nice OZ ultraleggera 18x8", painted then in anthracite and it came out sweet ;)
New tail ligts, badges and black front grill.

IMG_20140806_1926373_zps3c3c803e.jpg

IMG_20140806_192610_zps1ybibev5.jpg

IMG_20140809_174454_zps9lus3woo.jpg

IMG_20140809_174432_zpsq1ttxgf1.jpg

I've notice a litlle problem, maf readings don't pass 116g/s but the car pulls and drives great
And the power is also good.
IMG 20150105 1928401

More news coming soon :icon thumright:

Reactions: dave_beastttt
Looks good, look forward to the updates.

Thanks guys :icon thumright:
Car is currently on the doctor for some updates :devilish:

The wheels was a great business, bought them for 650€ with tires. Just needed a repaint and its done.With 25mm rear spacers and 20mm front i think its spot on.

Some updates

Found this beauties mounted on a LCR that was for sale, so had to bought them :D
Had the luck the buy the complete kit, calipers+r32 discs+pads+brake lines+carriers

IMG 20140723 182630

Cat approved :icon thumright:
IMG 20140723 220059

IMG 20141219 170737

after paint, new dust boots and o-rings.
Bought some ebc yellow pads for the 4 corners
this things are huge

IMG 20141226 211516

My idea for the calipers came from the audi ceramic scheme, so after some work this is what i end up width
IMG 0639

IMG 0612ps

IMG 0622

All the brake fluid was flushed and top up width ate super blue racing
Good clean to the wheels
IMG 0657ps

IMG 0662ps

IMG 0672ps

IMG 0676ps

And voilà

Reactions: s3 Hoggy, Speed Hunter, VAG-Slag and 1 other person
Hi guys

So i'm in a little dilema, after remap, even with a 4 bar fpr my injectores a max out.
I've logged 20.9 ms at 6K rpm, that means 105% Duty Cycle !

Is that a sign of a bad Fuel pump?

I actually have badger5 tip, 3"downpipe, fmic, 2"75 exhaust, forge turbo actuator, r8 coils and just pushing around 200 g/s of maf.

Please post the yellow stuff reference for front and rear.

Tenho o mesmo setup de travagem para montar 18z mas aqui em 17 e discos 330mm sem ser esses.

Manda sffv a referência das EBC green stuff

Enviado do meu SM-G920F através de Tapatalk

Pedro, nao tenho aqui à mao a referencia. Mas se pesquisares no site da ebc encontras. Estas pincas equipam o VW touareg, Audi Q7 e o porshe caynne turbo.

Pedro, I do not have the reference here at hand. But if you search the ebc website you will find it. These calipers equip the VW touareg, Audi Q7 and the porsche Cayenne turbo.

Can someone give me a opinion about the lack of fuel ?
Thanks

Supposedly, the 4 bar fpr wouldn't help with more flow ?

Supposedly, the 4 bar fpr wouldn't help with more flow ?
Yes, but you'll kill the oem fuel pump... you should be able to reach 280-300hp with, oem pump, for and injector s

Enviado do meu SM-G920F através de Tapatalk

Hi guys

So i'm in a little dilema, after remap, even with a 4 bar fpr my injectores a max out.
I've logged 20.9 ms at 6K rpm, that means 105% Duty Cycle !

Is that a sign of a bad Fuel pump?

I actually have badger5 tip, 3"downpipe, fmic, 2"75 exhaust, forge turbo actuator, r8 coils and just pushing around 200 g/s of maf.

APY engine.
Fuel calculation is from MAF... did you not say earlier your maf was under reading?
checking fuel pressure under load confirms pump health but if its the original chances are based on the cars I see come through the workshop and qty of pumps we end up fitting, its probably a little tired.

hi mate, it could just be that I had a bad experience with ate blue but it ate through one of my clutch lines...

since that happened I googled it and found other people had the same issue too, I think its worth that you check this but obviously up to you...

nice looking car and good work on the brake refurb, they look sweet...

not sure if this article is legit or not mate, i guess if you search on the net long enough you'll always find the answer you want...

http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...7153-ate-super-blue-bad-for-clutch-seals.html

either way, something dissolved my clutch line. i strongly suspect it was the fluid but i openly admit i could be wrong...

just trying to help but please disregard my post if you don't think its incorrect...

for reference the hose that dissolved was a hard plastic hose; item no. 20 on the image below...

sorry to original poster, I won't clog up your thread with anymore info. keep up the good work...

Last edited:
not sure if this article is legit or not mate, i guess if you search on the net long enough you'll always find the answer you want...

http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...7153-ate-super-blue-bad-for-clutch-seals.html

either way, something dissolved my clutch line. i strongly suspect it was the fluid but i openly admit i could be wrong...

just trying to help but please disregard my post if you don't think its incorrect...

for reference the hose that dissolved was a hard plastic hose; item no. 20 on the image below...

sorry to original poster, I won't clog up your thread with anymore info. keep up the good work...

that thread full of folks using it for years issue free.
my guess is "other" problem, possibly just age involved and last component got the blame, because thats how folks think

hi mate, it could just be that I had a bad experience with ate blue but it ate through one of my clutch lines...

since that happened I googled it and found other people had the same issue too, I think its worth that you check this but obviously up to you...

nice looking car and good work on the brake refurb, they look sweet...

Guile, thanks for the heads up and your attention to detail but I didn't have any problems with my brakes or clutch.

APY engine.
Fuel calculation is from MAF... did you not say earlier your maf was under reading?
checking fuel pressure under load confirms pump health but if its the original chances are based on the cars I see come through the workshop and qty of pumps we end up fitting, its probably a little tired.

Bill I have already change the maf, now it's reading around 200g/s.

Is there any way I can log fuel pressure with vag com?

Reactions: Tj 0785
ATE brake fluid does'nt eat through lines... Else all of mine would be riddled with holes years ago

Nope, but the blue dye has been known too historically

Hot climates only, old fluid - ph balance changes - hydraulic clutch seals in early US models

One reason TYPe 200/Gold ATE exists - same fluid minus blue dye, same price

Seem to recall an US advisory from ATE mention using gold only with hydroclutches from same period (2001ish)

Blue now banned in US due to color coding of fluids

Reactions: guile
Nope, but the blue dye has been known too historically

Hot climates only, old fluid - ph balance changes - hydraulic clutch seals in early US models

One reason TYPe 200/Gold ATE exists - same fluid minus blue dye, same price

Seem to recall an US advisory from ATE mention using gold only with hydroclutches from same period (2001ish)

Blue now banned in US due to color coding of fluids

blue's been replaced last year from local factors.. normal colour these days

Reactions: snowy
Guile, thanks for the heads up and your attention to detail but I didn't have any problems with my brakes or clutch.

all good mate, I wasn't trying to be a smart ****, I just didn't want you going through the same trouble and worry that I had. the pipe was replaced easy enough but I worried for a long time what other damage may have been caused...

all the best with your build, I know I have already said it but I love that brake set up. the calliper colour, the decals and even the pad colour offsets the grey very nicely...

I'll keep watching as I'm sure you have plenty more to come...

that thread full of folks using it for years issue free.
my guess is "other" problem, possibly just age involved and last component got the blame, because thats how folks think

ok mate your right, I retract my original statement. something dissolved a hole in the the clutch line of my 3 year old Audi s3 8p. may be ants chewed through it to make a nest, I have no idea...

ok mate your right, I retract my original statement. something dissolved a hole in the the clutch line of my 3 year old Audi s3 8p. may be ants chewed through it to make a nest, I have no idea...
and yet to be as pedantic as you 1000's of others have had no issues for years - Go fcuking figure

all good mate, I wasn't trying to be a smart ****, I just didn't want you going through the same trouble and worry that I had. the pipe was replaced easy enough but I worried for a long time what other damage may have been caused...

all the best with your build, I know I have already said it but I love that brake set up. the calliper colour, the decals and even the pad colour offsets the grey very nicely...

I'll keep watching as I'm sure you have plenty more to come...

Thanks mate, I have other updates to post. Just need some time to do it.

Yesterday I've changed the fuel filter, then cut it in half to see what 17 years of use would be. It was quite dirty to be honest, hope it improve the flow. Tonight I'm going to do some logs :racer:

Well the filter didn´t change a thing as expected....

Is it really good ideia to run a bosch 044 in-line with the stock pump ?

Well the filter didn´t change a thing as expected....

Is it really good ideia to run a bosch 044 in-line with the stock pump ?
Stock pump acts as a lift pump and has a built in swirl pot so yeah its fine to run an inline with it... I have done so for years...

What would be a better solution of course is a separate swirl pot that the intank feeds then the 044 feeds from that but requires a bit more work etc and ptfe lined hoses if running then in the car

<tuffty/>

So the stock pump won't struggle to keep up with the 044 demand or the 044 won't receive enough fuel In order to work properly?

So the stock pump won't struggle to keep up with the 044 demand or the 044 won't receive enough fuel In order to work properly?
In my experience the stock pump can keep up with the flow feeding an 044 as its not being taxed to maintain a high fuel pressure... the fuel pressure side is handled by the 044...

This of course is based on the assumption that you are not running 600hp flat out for minutes at a time as you will then potentially stand a chance of starving the pumps...

Ideally you would want to use an external swirl pot and use that to feed the 044... you would need to work out your flow rate at full throttle vs the flow rate of the intank to keep the swirl pot topped up... if running really high power for sustained periods of time then the intank would arguably struggle but at that point you would need to seriously rethink your fuelling solution anyway as you would be exceeding the flow capacity of the whole OE system anyway

I have been running a DA-31 (044 clone) with the intank feeding it on OE fuell pipework for a number of years... during a run at a dyno day Bill hosted the vacuum pipe popped off the FPR during the first run... I use a 4bar FPR and 750cc injectors... so instead of running 6bar fuel pressure at peak boost I was running 4bar only... the AFR at the end of the run started creeping up to 13 at 7k+ rpm... not something I would want to do regularly but was nice to see a little headroom in case of an issue...

I plan to upgrade my fuelling solution to allow for more headroom so its fuelling comfortably rather than the upper end of just enough.. but I am running quite a lot of power... on hybrids etc there is plenty of margin on this setup

<tuffty/>

Thanks once again tuffty. :footy:

I already have the 044 so just need the oem style connectors and to do the electrical stuff.
I'll post some updates soon

Would putting in a DW65v not solve the fueling problems? Im not a expert just throwing that out there.

Yes I think it's a better solution but I've got a 044 for free so it's definitely a better solution :wink new: