My Learn as I go to get this car running and modded build thread

fanta

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just bought another Audi A3 8L 1.8T, this time in a Blue Quattro flavour. (Selling the Silver one! Wife wont allow two projects!).

I got it for a good price so couldn't resist.

She needs a lot of work it seems but a good learning chance for me.

I'll update this thread when I fix/change/mod things. It will be completely dummy proof as I'm a dummy right now!
First step is buying ramps and axle stands!

I'm happy for any advise you can give me after seeing the pics, I'm starting with the engine, then I'll tackle the body/interior.
Some parts no doubt need replacing just judging by the look of the car, I'm guessing Oil pump, gaskets, sump. (feel free to correct me!)
The work thats seemingly obvious is;

Anyway here she is (image semi heavy);

R4UbKQTZxLelW620DjF0vmVmzYjF7prjc3T5-2h4vzpO=w391-h223-p-no
HURMHhH1RPCxZNlc231o1u1T13smJciV87WuY7DO_rpx=w291-h223-p-no

QFtZhZTU6pZQjyzEjMfhWAMZmelwad-a_YfHYXS2GdbZ=w335-h223-p-no

Exhaust looks a bit borked.
azOsdGFHwdDKsAMl5X0D7ygP7ZdNf6gLmXMU-vrQHxaJ=w335-h223-p-no

This is how its held on!

H8MEtZ1_W-yVyXvsQ3wjTgbE90xY_JPP4WvcroJDomDy=w469-h207-p-no
Je_Q6wcd47C_hpIPHE5g70EXqYaKDDalK4klqMUHs7rH=w304-h202-p-no

The Engine (AGU (although has an n249...)
4A1PJLmzXTTeOwJr9RHyvESlqRdDlUsXtua_ygQpJfgf=w304-h202-p-no

Thats one way to hold a battery on
3yNM-6UCzaCnodawX2Cw-oHqwSz99KhI8t8RtuXU0qkd=w303-h202-p-no
Yv1IUyQUdpQaXZlxJiv4Op3Ge9Ek1OZ-60QY9HmHltC4=w304-h202-p-no

Not the best wiring I've ever seen!

Last edited:
gahh whats the best way to add images!? Ill fix them when I get back home.

gahh whats the best way to add images!? Ill fix them when I get back home.

Just tried to edit it and can see that you are linking to the page rather than the jpg image... flickr seems to be a ballache for this... photobucket is better

...nice camera btw ;P

<tuffty/>

That's had an AGU head fitted. It's has a DBW throttle too.
Be interesting to see what inlet manifold it has on it. But it has no mount for the cable, so not AGU.

Someone has bodged an S3 backbox onto your car by the looks... mounting brackets a re a bit different and the bore larger on the S3 to the TQS...

Check the blocks engine number as it may just be the head thats been swapped... blocks engine number can be found where circled in red below......
enginenumber.jpg

Engine number will start with the engine code... so AGU12345 or ARY12345 etc

<tuffty/>

Is there a way to see that without taking it all out? I'm struggling to know which way up that sits :)

*I can hear you say 'Dear God' :) *

Is there a way to see that without taking it all out? I'm struggling to know which way up that sits :)

*I can hear you say 'Dear God' :) *

The block in the pic is facing the front of the car so its here
05e7f3f4-55b0-451d-b8b1-65793ab59b65.jpg

<tuffty/>

Good luck with this build Fanta! I'm in a similar position with learning everything from scratch but my a3 1.8t is completely standard but parts need replacing. Good idea with the dumby proof updating, I'm struggling to find specific guides probably because they're supposed to be such straight forward jobs :huh:

Once the car is renewed/problem free I'll be heading down to Badger5 (round the corner :racer:) with any luck but I want to get to know my stuff first, I imagine the last thing garages and tuners want is people like myself (imbociles) turning up and asking silly questions :haudrauf:

I'll be keeping an eye out for updates, all the best!

Reactions: fanta
Thanks Nath, from the vibe here in the forum (inc tuffty and Prawn) I expect Bill and his team would be very welcoming of a newbie, but it does pay for you/me to learn as much as we can, otherwise their mindset is 'jesus, where do I begin guys....?' :)

I'm at two minds whether to sell this as there are lots of bits and bobs already 'modified' (perhaps bodged!) that make it tricky to know where to start! I'll end up changing my mind come pay day no doubt!

I've put a couple more photos up from the other day, now I'm going to find that damn engine code!

Photos here;
https://plus.google.com/photos/1152...s/5998449702549774161?authkey=CMG89YPTrK_r7QE

Ok I've sold my Silver A3 now, so can spend some money on this at last!

I've ripped out all of the split pipes, so the next step is doing the Catch cat and PCV delete. Also doing the SAI delete and N249 bypass for good measure!

I'm also going to be taking bits out to give them a damn good degrease!

I still can't see that damn code tuffty, but based on what's in it is it safe to assume its an APY?

I've also ordered a decent battery charger! Pics to follow!

Luke you won't see the code as everything is so caked in oil you'll have to do some major cleaning on it

SAI gone, pcv delete and catch can done, N112 & n249 deleted but still have power, cleaned up and degreased a bit, its going to need a few stages!! Under the car & arches has had a jet spray as it was filthy with mud!

Replaced Negative battery cable and started her up for the first time! Started first time and doesn't sound as bad she did before.

Next step is to plug the laptop in and diagnose the faults, the dash shows the brake pads low light, EPC and Oil can.

I'll be doing the oil change and filter change next. Then fixing the exhaust until I've got the money for a new SS exhaust.

Getting there!

P.S.
Did I mention the radio and Air con work very well! :p

The guides can look a big daunting at first but as soon as you crack on with the job they always become quite apparent.

Reactions: dirtychinchilla