My Latest Mod

will89

Reaction score
My latest mod. Didn't come out perfect so will redo it next year when the warmer weather arrives. Total cost was £6.99!!

Before:
IMG_0066.jpg

After:
IMG_008722222.jpg

Let me know what you think

it will stone chip in a heart beat.

my advice is viynl wrap em. it costs a little more at 20 quid but doesnt stone chip.

I think i might wrap it but wont be until after xmas. Will see how it goes, I won't be suprised if it does chip but if it does then ill just wrap it anyway. Only thing is you can see the top of the radiator behind it now so think im going to paint the top with black VHT paint tomorrow.

Yeah mine chipped to **** within a few weeks, I just kept spraying it though...! long winded I know but it was summer and loved spending as much time I got the chance to on my car.lol

Looks good - don't worry about the chips - just resand it and respray as and when - I have!

Also, look out for some replacements on ebay - i picked up both grilles with the rings a few weeks ago for my convertible for under a tenner! And they were new - never fitted genuine items!

................. Only thing is you can see the top of the radiator behind it now so think im going to paint the top with black VHT paint tomorrow.

Dont know if its what your relating to but I painted my aircon condensor (or evapoarator??) as I could see it through the grill also. Before & After pics:

DSCF0271.jpg

AFTER:

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0279-1.jpg

And the painted grills you have done.............. looks alot better !

Last edited:
Is the chrome surround metal or plastic if it is metal it could be powder coated in 60% gloss black that wound not stone chip and would give the satin black look just asking as i get all powder coating done for nothing.

number plates look cool... are they legal in uk?? if so how much and where from if you dont mind me asking??? ;-)

number plates look cool... are they legal in uk?? if so how much and where from if you dont mind me asking??? ;-)
Font is wrong and wont pass an mot also the rossers wont be to happy either .

Dont know if its what your relating to but I painted my aircon condensor (or evapoarator??) as I could see it through the grill also. Before & After pics:

DSCF0271.jpg

AFTER:

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0279-1.jpg

And the painted grills you have done.............. looks alot better !

Thanks for that, that is what i'm on about and it does look much better after it has been painted!

The plates are illegal for the reasons that paul20v mentioned. I have however had them on for a few month's and have not been bothered yet. I know they are illegal and i have got the originals in the boot. Also the surrounds come open with a key type thing and you can just switch them around. The plates do register on the ANPR and are reflective so you don't really get bothered by them, just if you do get pulled then you know there isn't any excuse for them. The plates were £20 inc p+p and the surrounds £10 inc p+p both from eBay.

I have euro pressed alloy plates. The car is having a MOT today I just pop the standard plates back on like i do every year and whip them off after the MOT.

so would pressed plates with the correct font be legal then???

oh and the grill looks much better by the way. will have to look into getting mine done!

Alright lads, is it a bit of a pain in the **** to get the grills off?

Never done any body work before

Cheers

Higgsy

Alright lads, is it a bit of a pain in the **** to get the grills off?

Never done any body work before

Cheers

Higgsy

The top one just pushes out from the top inside the bonnet, and the bottom one just pull it out from the front, starting at the top pulling gently (can also push from the inside). Once you have done it once you can do it with your eyes closed in about 20 seconds!

sweet, cheers will, if i can find a day where i dont see noah and his ark ill give it a try with some metal primer and aircraft grade black paint, fingers crossed eh lol

I had those surrounds on my last couple of mk2 golfs, theyre awesome, only ****** about it is that i paid much more gettin em from dubmeister :-(

I had those surrounds on my last couple of mk2 golfs, theyre awesome, only ****** about it is that i paid much more gettin em from dubmeister :-(

What key thing did you get with yours? did you cut it out from the back??

I have euro pressed alloy plates. The car is having a MOT today I just pop the standard plates back on like i do every year and whip them off after the MOT.

Have you had em on long? im massively thinking of getting a set cos they look awesome, i take it the scenario is:

Good cop: ok you got the originals in the boot, CHANGE EM!!

Bad cop: merry xmas, 3 points and 60 beans towards our xmas p*ss up!!

i just pulled the bottom bit of plastic n decal away carefully, didnt even get a key, its a bit worryin tho cos ive got a set of Zentrum Ingolstadt ones on the motor now but i drilled the plates and thats whats holding the surrounds on, you got a key?? they liked you more than me, mustve been cos i is black they thought id be able to break in to the b**tard!! haha

Have you had em on long? im massively thinking of getting a set cos they look awesome, i take it the scenario is:

I have had mine for age's and only stick the UK spec plastic plate's on for MOT time..

I bought mine from craftyplates off ebay. Very well made. No fading, spliting or peeling.

I'm pretty sure that it is only a fine and iirc its £30 or £35; no points. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though

will do mate, ill let you know, hopefully i wont have to!!

Non conforming number plates are £60 but no points, in England at least. As long as people don't put "D" badges and the fake stickers in the middle of the plate they generally seem to get away it.

Non conforming number plates are £60 but no points, in England at least. As long as people don't put "D" badges and the fake stickers in the middle of the plate they generally seem to get away it.

James Bang on..

Never had any issues with my pressed euro plates - I once took these ones out as well (only around the block though to show a mate!) and lets just say they did get peoples attention - mainly because the sun was reflecting off them and blinding people! Thet are chrome / relective plates......

DSC_0747.jpg

006.jpg

I 'm glad someone with the same colour car has actually painted their grilles black,i was unsure whether black surrounds looked as good as the chrome variety on silver/grey cars.
I think it's loads better.On the subject of pressed plates my missus has had them on her coupe for three years now and passed every mot with them on! as long as the font is standard and you dont have the badges between the lettering then i dont think you will get any probs.
On the subject of plates does anyone know where i can get an a4 avant b6 rear number plate light holder cum lock handle assembly? i've tried loads of breakers and the bay but no avail?

On the subject of plates does anyone know where i can get an a4 avant b6 rear number plate light holder cum lock handle assembly? i've tried loads of breakers and the bay but no avail?

I bought mine from the dealer, I can find the part number if you need it. It was about £28 I think. I think you'll do well to find one that's not all corroded anyway myself.

Hi James,yeah if you could find the part no. that would be great,like you said finding a good'un will be tricky,i had no idea how bad these can get.Mine has all but disintegrated.
Cheers Rob

Most dealers will have them in stock as it's such a problem. The part number is listed in the Number Plate LEDs thread which was running a few weeks ago, failing that I'll get it for you tomorrow.

Looks great Will!

Can I ask - do you guys just mask off the rest of the grille or has anyone removed the rings and sprayed up the whole thing?