My latest Audi, an a4 b7 avant black edition quattro

So the brake caliper and carrier from S3 are the same but the discs are different - am i right what i understood ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah mate mk5 r32, a3 3.2 and some from a Leon are the same caliper just the disc hub is smaller and the thickness is different. The backs I have are totally different though

Just to add to this thread, the carriers for 345mm disc mk2 A3/S3, mk5 golf R32 platform are dimensionally the same as the B7 S4 calliper carriers and in some instances the same part number. The difference in part numbers are usually down to being a different colour or suchlike.
The calliper from the golf/S3 ect is also (externally)dimensionally the same.....
....BUT...
...the piston in the caliper is smaller on the golf/S3 than it is in the A4/S4.

If you use the smaller pistoned caliper from an A3/s3 golf on an A4 you may end up with less efficient brakes than you have just now. Even though you have increased the size of disc.

You may also end up having next to no brake pedal travel and/or as soon as you press the pedal the brakes will be full on due to master cylinder differences.

The reason for the difference in disc between S3/S4 is down to the position of the hub face between the models. Definitely use the S4 disc

Yeah it was the hub that was different. Now my discs are needed in and that they feel great

Are you saying if when I get new pads that if I buy s4 ones they don't fit? Cheers for your input it was a gamble getting these ones but they where a bargain so gave it a go haha

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5 and reido
What are the piston measurements for the s4 ones? Il give mine a measure at some point

Off the top of my head
S4 pistons are 60mm
S3 57mm
A3 not sure
Standard A4 312mm disc 57mm
So you might be ok, just not as powerfull as S4 would be.

Worth a go to be sure, bargain

Off the top of my head
S4 pistons are 60mm
S3 57mm
A3 not sure
Standard A4 312mm disc 57mm
So you might be ok, just not as powerfull as S4 would be.

Worth a go to be sure, bargain

Do you know your fair bit about brakes then? Because I got the 310mm rear disc and caliper from the a3/golf but s4 are only 300 and the caliper does look different?

Im no expert but i would watch the size of piston in the rear calipers aswell. Likely to be bigger in the standard A4. I do know the S4 has bigger rear pistons at 41mm or so.
I think standard A4 has 38mm rear pistons. Cant comment on fitment of S3 rears to an A4 as I have never seen them and like the front you may come across problems with disc fitment again. Also need to consider handbrake cable positioning.

Best thing to do would be research the likes of this site
https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/c...8KW)&variantId=28169&productGroupId=78&page=2
And mess about with different model info and see what comes up.
But measure your current pistons and compare to the new ones you have you want to convert to.

Ouch! Just tipped over 100k I do like to thrash it too haha I hope it's already been done

Just bought a set of Rear brakes just need some new discs, il try and sell my a3 310mm set. I'm not sure what pads to get for the lot, Iv had red stuff and mintex and both didn't seem great

Reactions: reido and Charlie Farley
Yeah haha! Il investigate the different piston size at the front and just buy the back of the calliper of there loads different. Put in a few cheeky offers on some gtb 2260vk's aswell hopefully get one nice and cheap

Reactions: Dani_B19
getting there now then chap....what are gtb 2260vk's then...

Turbo off a 3.0 v6 tdi should see between 240/260max depending on other mods

Well I think they can go up to 300+ but our injectors stop at 260, our intercoolers can probably take about 230 and the clutch won't take much more than 330lbft I don't think.
So Sachs sre to take 400lbft would be about a grand fitted, can't find an intercooler for less than 400 so il probably try mod an eBay one to fit.
4bar map sensor and an adapter for the manifold to turbo and a 3"down pipe and it should be close to 260hp 400lbft which would be amazing lol

so you're becoming a power craving junky now then james...haha...well with those big old calipers you have now you'll need some extra ponies to make them work properly.

Haha yeah I just think the cars too heavy for 210hp most cars just get that from a remap so 240+ would be perfect I think especially with the transmission loss of the Quattro.
Audi clutches are naff they can't take much lbft BMW ones can easily handle 550lbft plus just from a remap. I want to start getting bits and bats now, and I WILL sort my oil pump lol

Just read your thread liking what you've done so far!

I would strongly suggest if your gonna increase your power, please please please sort your oil pump!!!
If you don't you may as well get your £££ notes that your gonna use for the remap and burn them.

Sorry to put a downer on it but it's a lot of money to put into a car and then it go bang on you

No I totally agree mate I just get excited with bargains and more exciting mods lol il try sort it out before Xmas, there's some on eBay for 230 I think I might just use that website most people used k something

Little update.. Hoses and 5.1 fluid have arrived and so have my discs so just panting the calipers and it's time to fit!

Reactions: Baka
Those discs look so cool, never seen them in black before. Looking forward to seeing them fitted!

New set up finally! Not a bad job to do so far!!

Reactions: THQuattro, Baka and Charlie Farley
So from 255 to 300 vented. New hoses etc.
Apart from everything being so fecking tight and dry it hasn't been a bad job. The bottom carrier bolt is a it awkward to get to but that was about it! I have no dust shields now, one came with the set but the holes didn't line up so just left it off. Il get a nice pic when the paint has come off the discs when there bedded in. Hopefully will have a clean car by then too! Went for brembo 5.1 fluid this time just for the sake of it really

what did you get the rear set up off James mate (s4 ?), i need to sort mine out after xmas

So from 255 to 300 vented. New hoses etc.
Apart from everything being so fecking tight and dry it hasn't been a bad job. The bottom carrier bolt is a it awkward to get to but that was about it! I have no dust shields now, one came with the set but the holes didn't line up so just left it off. Il get a nice pic when the paint has come off the discs when there bedded in. Hopefully will have a clean car by then too! Went for brembo 5.1 fluid this time just for the sake of it really
nice big black rotors for a nice black editions car, coming along nicely james.

Thanks guys! Ticking things off the list slowly!
Yeah Tony there off a b7 s4

Nice to get both brakes painted up now next job oil pump or any bargains I might come across first haha!

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5, Dani_B19 and Charlie Farley
Cheers mate still madly in love with it! Next pressing jobs are the oil pump, wheel refurb and a front link kit I think, still need to do those b5 cups I got from you haha

Those brakes are stunning pal. Can't wait to get mine done.

Reactions: James.c
Feeling a bit more upbeat now then Dani, you know you love you old b7 really.......

Haven't really done anything for a while! But since I managed to buy a spare wheel I've noticed the rake a lot more especially with a full tank so next stop is the b5 cups I got from rob.
The power flex snub mount bush is really nice, and it probably hasn't but when thrashing between 3rd and 4th it doesn't seem to hesitate boost when going into 4th like it usually does

just got my power flex bush today was it easy to do jame's, dose anything need holding up with the jack or can i just unbolt the mount fit the bush and put it back ?

Just a case of unbolt...swap bush....and re-attach.

nice one Carl mate, i'll do it in the morning as the one that's in now is ******, had a check when i got the clutch in and it's battered

It takes longer to take the under tray off than do the bush

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley, Dani_B19 and tony mc
Easy peasy! Especially when you have a pit in your garage and still never put the under tray back on from last time I was fiddling

Reactions: Toblahoe and carlcall
Nice thread bud, I think I stumbled across your instagram when looking for B7 inspiration, I remember admiring the exhaust tip mod.

Keep it up :)

Reactions: James.c