My latest Audi, an a4 b7 avant black edition quattro

orthanks for the info

a clarification though - two tone leather wasn't a deal breaker, but leather was, if I was honest I think the black interior of my TDI looked nicer

in fact I was surprised how many I looked at did not have leather or even a central armrest!!!

but heated and memory seats would have been good

all black leather is was an option in the 220 special eds, two tone leather was the default trim, some had arm rest some did not.
mine came with arm rest, full black valcona leather heated with mem sport seats, plus the comfort pack which is the extra door
lights /footwell lighting etc.

Come on fellas don't be hijacking my build thread :laughing:

Reactions: Charlie Farley and W2 NCC
sorry james, just got all excited and carried away again on the special edition subject......lol, but it does keep your thread bumped up..

:pensive::gun:

best start putting some pennies away now then ready for some bigger bills possibly looming around the corner....

Arrived pretty quickly it's very stiff near enough no flex at all

There foooking massive!! Lol can't wait to clean them up, how much do people charge re skimming discs? Tempted to just buy new discs and pads if they fit haha

Reactions: Charlie Farley
so you'll be needing all the other go faster options now then james to keep things all upto spec then.....

so you'll be needing all the other go faster options now then james to keep things all upto spec then.....

The plan next year after the front suspension kit and those b5 perches it will be fmic and a gtb2260 or the Xmas hybrid for ours that no one has tried yet. All presuming overtime pics up at work and I don't get fixated on buying and building a bobber motorcycle again :laughing:

cars are great, but bikes are just so much better........

I know mate I don't want anything fast or cramped up like a sports bike just a little yammy dragstar 650 back end just bolts off hidden mono shock at the back just looks like a hard tail! That's the dream haha

So they are 345mm then? Are they a straight fit as someone has said they won't fit!

If they are a straight fit I can see prices going up through the roof

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dani_B19
Yeah because I'll be buying a set also haha.

Just tried one of the fronts fits nice not even as snug in there as I'd hoped :laughing:
The fronts are 345 and rears are 310. Most sets on eBay for just the calipers sometimes even just the fronts are 300-400 and I got the fronts for 80 and backs for 50 lol steal! Front discs and pads are fine backs could do with replacing

Poor pics but il start cleaning them up get some new hoses and bits and hopefully fit them in September

Reactions: Dani_B19
So the discs and calipers for fine then James?

That's a ****** good price you got them for matey. Was it just someone breaking a a3 on eBay then?

So the discs and calipers for fine then James?

That's a ****** good price you got them for matey. Was it just someone breaking a a3 on eBay then?
Yeah I always have a quick look on eBay r32 golds and 3.2 a3's s4's etc I'm sure there's others too. Yeah havnt tried the backs might have to play with the handbrake but they should be fine. Just Gona clean them up and probably get new discs and odd for the full benefit

Started stripping the brakes down a bit getting a list of bits il need. The backs are in worse condition compared to the fronts

So far il get a new slider pin kit for both backs and new connecting pipes for all four maybe? And how will I pop that rubber back in on that back piston? :unamused:

I think you need to get them blasted james, do you have an air compressor , the receiver type, if so there are some low cost air powered blasting kits on the market and they do work well for small jobs such as this.
I have one I use on tractor parts, brilliant bit of kit.

Reactions: Dani_B19, Tyrer, Charlie Farley and 1 other person
Little update, finally got them on, but the disc seems too far back close to the carriers etc might need to grind them and clean the carriers off abit better but they are binding like a son of a bitch! Nothing's ever simple :disappointed:

They look nice though! Haha

Here's a picture of the discs I have from the a3/golf and then a picture of ours
the depth measurements are slightly different but if they where 52mm deep they would touch even more?! I'm hoping it's just abit of rust and caliper paint

If anyone could find a part number for s4 carriers and a3 3.2 carriers id be very greatful just to see if they are the same

I reckon the carriers are slightly different matey and that's why the disc are also slightly different to comepensate.

the carriers are the same part number for a 06 s4 and an 06 a3 3.2 , S4 has two possible choices, 8E0615125C and 1K0615125B which is the same as the A3 carrier (1K0615125B) , so that's not the problem .

Reactions: James.c
your problem is the disks james , the first set on your diagram are 49.48mm total width, less 30mm for the actual disk face itself and your left with 19.86mm
the second set are a I assume the s4's 52mm total width, less 29.5 and that leaves 22.5mm. if the A3 disk bind on the back face of the disk etc when fitted then that's your problem , there is a difference of approx. 3mm between the two disks, that 3mm is a fair bit when sticking a disk in a caliper and if the the disk is not central in the caliper that's the problems james.

you need the 06 S4 disks james to use with those A3 calipers, forget about using the A3 disks they are not correct as the offset in wrong for A4 fitment, S4 disks and you will be good to go

Ok mate there on now and feel ok I grinded the carriers a little where it was catching but il just get s4 discs just don't no what to get I want drilled at least.

your problem is the disks james , the first set on your diagram are 49.48mm total width, less 30mm for the actual disk face itself and your left with 19.86mm
the second set are a I assume the s4's 52mm total width, less 29.5 and that leaves 22.5mm. if the A3 disk bind on the back face of the disk etc when fitted then that's your problem , there is a difference of approx. 3mm between the two disks, that 3mm is a fair bit when sticking a disk in a caliper and if the the disk is not central in the caliper that's the problems james.

you need the 06 S4 disks james to use with those A3 calipers, forget about using the A3 disks they are not correct as the offset in wrong for A4 fitment, S4 disks and you will be good to go

If it's catching on the rear face(inside face?)would this not make it worse?? Disc thickness is irrelevant, it's overall height that's the issue if it's catching on the rear face.

I know A3 calipers are not the same caliper as the S4, the piston size is different but I'm not sure if the physical dimensions of the calipers are different although if it's catching the carrier the caliper shouldn't affect that.

There's also the potential differences in hubs etc between the A3 and A4, this will affect the hub face to carrier mount dimension. I think these differences could be where your disc offset issues are arising from.

Do you have any pictures?

Now Iv thoroughly cleaned off the carriers it doesn't catch anymore, I think it was just a build up of rust and paint.

I was thinking they with the actual s4 discs they would be even worse I think! But the pad is bang on where it should be in the disc so I think it was just me not cleaning the carriers up enough that's caused it all.

glad you managed to sort things out james, there wasn't a great deal it could have been really, as I said earlier the carriers are the same, but calipers are not, so given them a good old clean has done the trick.
I still think the offset between the disks is a factor though as there is a difference of approx. 3mm between the a3 and s4 disks, not the actual thickness of the braking section but in the hub face section as I mentioned aswell so the S4's will either be 3mm further out than the a3 or vice versa, but the s4's are the right fitment .
anyway your good to go now, whats next on the job list .

Iv still got the rear 310mm brakes to fit! Gona get new Pistons for these though just got some new slider pins for them, then it might be time to start looking at the suspension and bushes next :coldsweat:

Mtec discs feel loads better, the back calipers are totally different so I think I'm going to sell them