My lambswool mitt is loosing all its wool..why?

MiT

Work Hard, Play harder!!
Reaction score
After the first time of using it, washed it, placed it back in the bag it came in, and placed it back under the sofa. Next time i go to use it, it smells bad, like mouldy kind of smell. I then start washing the car, and notice that chunks of the wool are coming off it!!!! :sorry:

I only used it once. I guess i must of washed it wrong. Well mum washed it for me. Just used hot water i think, maybe a bit washing up powder.

how i can stop this happening next time? what did i really do wrong? :think:

I've had two that have been washed out properly...then left to dry...and as soon as I use them again all the wool fell out.
What's the craic there?

after i use mine, i wash it then put in on the radiator to dry :)

Lambswool mitts (any brand) are natural products that will degrade quickly if not looked after. However, even with daily use, we get 3-4 months use from most of our mitts. This is how: after every use we machine wash them at 30-40oC using a gentle liquid detergent like Fairy Non-Bio, max spin speed 1000rpm. Then, we simply hang the mitts up in the garage or stockroom to air dry (after first shaking them out a little to loosen the flattened pile). Storing any kind of woollen mitt wet or damp in a sealed environment will cause them to rot (hence why the wool then falls out), while using any kind of artifical heat to dry them will result in the leather backing shrinking and becoming hard and inflexible (which can also result in wool falling out). Hope that helps. :)

Had mine nearly 3 years, no problems at all!

Wash car, rinse out and wring out. Place on shelf in airing cupboard for 2-3 days. Put back in carrier bag in garage when dry.

Ahh...so even with looking after they only really last 3-4 months?

I wash mine in a mild wash, air dry, no forced drying...but the wool still goes...although thinking about it, they get pretty much daily use and will last 3-4 months right enough.