My k04 conversion progress thread with pics !

Customboy

Reaction score
Hi there all I know I haven't had much time to be on here as much as I would like sorry about that all but thought I would keep everyone posted about my k04 conversion, ok as most people know I'm running stage 2 a3 agu with 222bhp and 250ftlb torque, and after meeting everyone at ace cafe with their ko4's I had to just do it thanks prawn mate !!! Lol no but before the stage 2 was warming up already started buying bits so well here I am and thought I give everyone a update with pics below as my iPad won't for so reason copy and paste my pics !!

Ok firstly I went and bought a mint k04-023 and manifold both had only covered 44k and had all four sets of oil and water lines for a bargin £400
c4047612.jpg

ebe97565.jpg

ced384ef.jpg

then bought the vr6 maf and upgraded fuel pump bargin at both for only £60
3cec36af.jpg

795a7f5e.jpg

Then bought a set of Bosch red top 346cc injectors from dan( beachbuggy) for a bargin £80! Can't say thank you enought bro!

Then bought a 80mm jetex cone filter for only £30 only covered few thousand miles! And came with extension hose,
9c83f106.jpg

Then bought today a badger5 tip v1 for a fantastic £90 can't thank my mate Erdal enough!!
ac2b6734.jpg

Also have bought the vr6 flywheel clutch package for only £60! Set has only covered 2.5k, big thanks to Danny! Won't fit until my standard one goes boom!
546486d3.jpg

So this is my progress so far and now still on the hunt for a downpipe and decat as I can't use my ko3s one, still fighting wether to go and buy the relentless package set manifold and downpipe, as I'm not looking to go over 300bhp! But who knows,just wanted to say a massive thanks to all the great info and support from everyone (prawn, beachbuggy, arron, nik rtech, and anyone else i missed) so I'm nearly there and soon will get things sorted and back to rtech! And look forward to meeting everyone again at ace or other events and learning more! This thread is just the route I am taking and feel free to ask for any info I'm not here to tread on anyone's toes or say this is the best way to do it, just best for me costs and my budget and has made me fall in love with my car again lol

Thanks for looking and reading

Bobby aka customboy

Prawn buddy sorry for delay iPad issues lol but thanks for the vr6 maf info glad I won't be lodging my new maf element, so the hunt for a decat goes on lol !

Where they easy to fit? Or did they suffer from loads of fitting issues mate ?

Well I'm fitting the jetex once the reducer arrives and plumbing it into the airbox can't wait !

I getting there Neil mate few more bits to go then I'm coming after ya!!

I've got a standard k04 downpipe you can have for free. A relentless one would obviously be better though!

he is a bargain hunter!!! good for keeping costs low, wish i had the time to look around for bits, badly want the car lower atm but cost so much on an s3 :-/

Well I'm fitting the jetex once the reducer arrives and plumbing it into the airbox can't wait !

Any chance you got that off E-bay.

I missed the bit. damn it

Good luck with the conversion though mate. Looking forward to seeing it completed

Much love for this thread as Id like to go ko4 on my AUM but wouldnt know where to start so this will help greatly =D

What sort of figures will you be looking at ???

Also does anyone know what sorta figures you can look at before needing to uprate the internals???

Hi dark night well having listened to the great people here I'm looking for about 260-280bhp I would be more then happy with that, I do know that once u hit 300bhp and beyond engine will need stronger rods etc , I'm just looking for great useable everyday power with great reliability

Benjamin where about are u mate your a star!!

Cheers mate much appreciated for that reply......once ive got a few more bits sorted out ill start with my list of components....im gonna go straight to ko4 rather than down the stage 2 route first.

do you know would 260/270 be achievable with a ko3/ko4 hybrid?? as surely that would save swapping over alot of the components like the manifold and downpipe etc or is just as easy to get a new manifold / turbo and downpipe?

To be honest guys, there is no set figure at which you need uprated rods.

Wellys rods failled at stage 1, around 250-260bhp on a tired old ko4 turbo

There are all sorts of figures banded around, but to be honest, when your time's up.... BOOM!

Age and mileage are playing a much greater part these days, when the S3 and LCR first came out and people were mapping them, they were new and fresh. They're now all 10years old or more, and getting on a tad.

If bobby sticks with the standard manifold and downpipe I'd expect him to see 250-270bhp depending on engine health, if he fitted the XS manifold and downpipe, It'd be more like 270-290bhp

Well at the moment car has only covered 88k got full Audi service history and replaced anything that makes a funny noise or problem but I'm liking the sound of 270-290 bhp lol maybe time to buy the relentless package !!!

Anyone know if the relentless manifold and downpipe have any issues regarding fitting?

Prawn, Audi's are like Stilton cheese! They mature better with age! :o.k:

Anyone know if the relentless manifold and downpipe have any issues regarding fitting?

I had fitting issues with the mani blocking access to the top DP bolt on the turbo:

89e114c1.jpg

487a7ce9.jpg

But I'm not 100% convinced that my mani is the same as the current batch as mine was the 1st one that welly got back after relentless/xs power made their revisions.

Hi dark night well having listened to the great people here I'm looking for about 260-280bhp I would be more then happy with that, I do know that once u hit 300bhp and beyond engine will need stronger rods etc , I'm just looking for great useable everyday power with great reliability

Benjamin where about are u mate your a star!!

West Sussex mate. On the a23. I also have the exhaust hanger that bolts to the subframe for the ko4 setup.

Wierd that you have that issues Westy! mine wasn't even close there at all! ****** loads of room! Most odd. perhaps it's the perspective, but I don't recall having any issues.

Bobby: on the whole, the products fit absolutely fine, BUT, they are difficult and fiddly to fit. they bolt on and work, but take a bit more time and patience than the average mechanic would be willing to put in. I think this is why some people have issues, because they pay a garage to do it, and they don't have the patience (or ability to charge) for the time it should take, and bodge them on as quick as possible.

if it's your pride and joy, and you're willing to put the effort in, they fit, and they work unquestionably well :)

Remember that rods will be needed, just make sure to keep everyone informed in most threads or you'll always get people asking when you are going to do them!

Wierd that you have that issues Westy! mine wasn't even close there at all! ****** loads of room! Most odd. perhaps it's the perspective, but I don't recall having any issues.

As you can see from the top pic, the bolt head doesn't even clear the mani runner. And pic 2 shows the hacked ground down heat to make it fit. When I change to studs I wont be able to get a nut on there so might need a custom nut with a collar to make that work. In hindsight I wish I'd put a slight dent in the runner when it was off.

As you can see from the top pic, the bolt head doesn't even clear the mani runner. And pic 2 shows the hacked ground down heat to make it fit. When I change to studs I wont be able to get a nut on there so might need a custom nut with a collar to make that work. In hindsight I wish I'd put a slight dent in the runner when it was off.

I think this fitting of XS products can be largely dependant on manufacturing tolerances as it would seem they still vary (even if a better fit than any of the earlier ones).. I had to remove and shape the flange on an XS DP the other week for an S3 we had in...

Simple advice is to test fit while the kit is off the car and make sure it all lines up as it should adjusting as required...

<tuffty/>

^^^ Couldn't agree more PT, I have a spare head on the bench and I test fitted everything to it before installing on the car, it made my life so much easier!

i think when i fit my xs downpipe i might compare the 2 flanges and mate them together to see how they match, and if need be get the grinder out and trim the xs to exactly the same profile as oem. If its all that different.

and mine was so far away I honestly don't even remember there being the potential for a clash, and that's on two manifolds now!

Out of 4 of these I've fitted now. Only one was really tight to get a nut on! I use downpipe securing nuts with a 15mm hex, makes it easier to get a socket on to tighten them.

hi customboy ill have my v1 xs power downpipe and decat for sale soon depending when u want it pal and good look with the progress

Wow nice progress buddy and really taking tips here :) thanks for the heads up aswell :) will be asking alot of questions soon i hope ;-) Happy building and good luck buddy Cheers:arco: