My Install

B

Boydie

hey guys

first taster of my TDI sport - car was away for a week to get a custom boot build made

i have been a huge fan of music all my life and previously i had always made my own custom builds - this time though, i am in a full time job, earning a bit of money so i thought i would treat myself and go balls out and get a competition build made :D

very happy with the results - even more with the sound!

The Install:

Becker Grand Prix
Focal KP2 6.5" components
Audiocontrol EQL
Genesis Dual Mono
Genesis Four Channel
Streetwires 0 guage with ZN350+ZN650 wires
Diamond 10" Sub

17395979a4276347670b150883579l.jpg

17395979a4276348200b80480960l.jpg

night shot:

17395979a4276348812b759432710l.jpg

what do you guys think? not the usual thing you would see i dont think on this forum - i wanted a Euro style bootbuild, something subtle and something that would not take up the whole boot

i have more detailed pics for people who are interested of the under side and wiring etc...

thanks for looking :blink:

;) well spotted

the "amp" on the right hand side is just a genesis dual mono cover heat sheild which sits over my EQL

i wanted symmetry in the build and was given that idea so i went with it

thanks for the surprising comments

TDI-line said:
I'd put a load liner for all my tools.

interesting :haha:

i have a liner to go on top of the gear if i need to use the boot - eventually im going to get one made from justmatz

Looks very nice but more pics required and who did you get to do the install ?

Paul

Im from northern ireland and a well known company called Audio Advice did the install and they are from Portadown

they are well known in the ICE industry for their quality builds, sound off wins and won ICE car of the show (or what ever) at Max Power Live last year or the year before - top quality company and very professional

More pics: underside...

17395979a4277012561b821808682l.jpg

not the best quality this one :S

17395979a4277013053b42538968l.jpg

17395979a4277013585b937114916l.jpg

Focals: fit nice and snug behind the door cards, no pods were required :D

17395979a4277014077b515560330l.jpg

still to come - i am getting an LED put in with the front speakers so you can see the cone clearly

tweeter pods are being made for the Apillars and the lower section of the door is being trimmed to break up the plastic a bit

Boydie said:
tweeter pods are being made for the Apillars and the lower section of the door is being trimmed to break up the plastic a bit

I'd be interested to see how the tweeter pods go as I've been looking at installing my Focal Tweeters, but the airbags take up a fair bit of the A-Pillar trim.

Paul

the pod bit itself will be located just where the grill is on the a-pillar

the tweeter will be directed at me for better results

even retrimming it will not affect the airbag

clearly lol i think the difference between your meaning of chav and mine are totally different

steve184 said:

Steve, I'm fairly new on here and personally like to read all the posts some interest me more than others.
What I can never understand on Forums is the point of posts like yours that are deliberatley inflammatory or knocking what somone else has done?
If you're not interested just don't read them?:uhm:

im open to critisism as long as it is constructive lol

a chav boot install in my opinion is using up the whole capacity of the boot

using the likes of sony xplode, splx, fusion etc... cheapest things they can buy

enclosed in a tacky box covered in fake checky aluminium with a flame beater fire estinguisher and neon tube lights accomapied by 6x9 speakers

wires everywhere too

with tunes blaring and causing a disturbance

my system is built for SQ and not SPL so there is very little big bass but quite a lot more than the standard sub- if you know what i mean :S

when im in town the system is down, i never have the window open so people can be disturbed or hear what im listening too - mainly cos i have the aircon on full blast lol

copperband said:
Steve, I'm fairly new on here and personally like to read all the posts some interest me more than others.
What I can never understand on Forums is the point of posts like yours that are deliberatley inflammatory or knocking what somone else has done?
If you're not interested just don't read them?:uhm:

Well said that man. Noticed a few unnecessary comments recently. No point, in my opinion.

Back on topic. Nice work on that install. Impressive stuff.

looks superb, very nice install. i used to have a diamond sub and genesis amps in my cupra. nice gear.

Gti Jazz Blue said:
I'd be interested to see how the tweeter pods go as I've been looking at installing my Focal Tweeters, but the airbags take up a fair bit of the A-Pillar trim.
Err, there are no airbags in the A-pillars. The A3 has six bags; driver & passenger front bags, side bags in the sides of the seats and curtain ones in the B-pillars.

My 2005 has airbags in the A Pillar found them when running the mic cable for my car kit.

Right as far as I can see the curtain airbag extends half way down the A Pillar so we are both correct :beerchug:

Paul

Boydie,

Was there a lot of complication in putting the Focals in the front?I've read elsewhere that there is a lot of work needed to accommadate the speakers in the front when you take out the standard ones, plus you need to add MDF to attach them to something sold rather than just the door card??

not my thing at all, I would like the quality and power but it would have to be stealthed :ninja: :ninja: so no one could see it, but I like reading different posts about different things, rather than what colour car should i get, or the other repetative posts

Chav? The guy is not using any cheap'n'cheerfull stuff. The gensis amps are some of the best amps in production today (untill series 4 amps arrive in october :D ) So yes, he has neons, but its only as a show piece to show off the amps.

oh, and boydie. Try firing the tweets directly across the car and see how they sound (about chin height will do )

Great install Boydie! Not enough of us 8P owners with custom installs so it's refreshing to see a good one. Like you I've always changed my standard sounds in the past but with my eight-month-old son's bits littering the boot all the time, it's not really gonna happen!

Looks great, very tidy set up. Bet it sounds fantastic.....

Not over the top but just enough to show it off.
I like the way it doest take up too much space.

Its not chav at all......as prev mentioned top quality products used and relatively discrete.

Its not like somebody putting 6x9's on the parcel shelf and 2 12" subs side by side to fill the boot all at a cost of about £200 !!
Chav is becoming one of those over used phrases....like when they now call any femal singer a Diva, or a half decent modern footballer a legend. Gimme a break - some people on here call the A3 chav.....chav is huge bad fitting ugly bodykits fitted to ***** cars. Those same people will have the 6X9 and 2 12" subs set up....

Fortunately the term chav is only used by a limited few on these forums regularly, I think we know who they all are.

Whilst the majority appreciate that one persons taste is different to anothers, these people seem to think that their taste should be everyone's.

Just ignore them, or treat them with the contempt that their opinionated, childish rants deserve.

As for the set-up, not my thing but I am sure as these things go it is a very tidy looking install which I am sure will make you very happy.:hi:

DIABLO636 said:
Its not like somebody putting 6x9's on the parcel shelf and 2 12" subs side by side to fill the boot all at a cost of about £200 !!

Which reminds me.

Back in the day I had a 1.1 GTA metro, British Racing Green with rusty rear arches even though it was only three years old, money was tight due to earning £120 week on my YTS scheme, a trip to In Car Audio in Leicester got me two Sony 6x9's, two MTX 10"'s in a nice enclosure and a dirty great big Sony amp, a nice metallic purple one, long before all this Xplod nonsense.

Although my car was slow as ****, I can honestly say that in the Asda carpark and the BP 24 Snax garage on the A5 I was king, introducing people far and wide to Josh Wink - Higher State, Da Hool and many other classics.

Sunny days, BBQ's and beer bring out the nostalgia in me, have a nice weekend everybody...

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Right as far as I can see the curtain airbag extends half way down the A Pillar so we are both correct :beerchug:
Ah right. Didn't realise the curtain ones extended that far forward into the A-pillar. Interesting :)

sorry not meaning to be horrible - just my opinion.

i just hate to see these classy kinda cars ripped apart and filled with this sort of stuff - i was once into it but it was in a nova which wasn't exactly classy to begin with so it seemed fine to try and improve it.

i just think audis are the wrong kind of cars to be filling with speakers and amps and stuff

steve184 said:
sorry not meaning to be horrible - just my opinion.

i just hate to see these classy kinda cars ripped apart and filled with this sort of stuff - i was once into it but it was in a nova which wasn't exactly classy to begin with so it seemed fine to try and improve it.

i just think audis are the wrong kind of cars to be filling with speakers and amps and stuff

exactly that stuff puts me off regardless of sound quality , if i saw that in auto trader i would not go near it.

no probs lads :D

on the technical side of it the A3 is a perfect car for a decent SQ system - its the perfect size, perfect build quality and well deadened.

the a3 is classy and up market - thats why i chose it, but why would i want a car that everyone else has and is the same? i will see A3's all day long so ive always wanted to be different

i am keep the car standard looking with the optional extra votex/vortex kit and putting on different, VERY classy rims - pics to follow

no parts are taken off apart from the spare wheels and boot liner

a3guy i know what you are saying, i too would have 2nd thoughts about it but car is not for trader and the sounds are for keeps

Nice one Boydie. On another note....Where did you get your rims from ? Im looking a set of 19" BBS CH's and was thinking about ebay.de but i read some where you got a good deal closer to home.

Cheers

cheers mo - i got mine from MS Tuning in Essex - chatted to a guy Warren and gave me a good deal

but apparently BBS have had a price increase as of mid March so they are now looking big bucks for the CH's :( i guess i got in there at a lucky time!

If you are wanting to go somewhere closer to home try Streetracer in Bangor out the newtonards dual carriage way, a guy called Armo.

also maybe East Coast Customs in lisburn or a guy Johnny at AI Autosport in Glengormly - their numbers are in the pages :D

Boydie,

I reckon that looks (and I'm sure) sounds pretty good. Forget the negative posts. It's pretty obvious the install is quality. Why would you not do that just because it's a damn Audi? It's only a Skoda in a posh frock...

unkle said:
Josh Wink - Higher State

Ah, memories...

And to further emphasise my age I'd have that as my Desert Island Disc :blush:

rich1068 said:
Boydie,

I reckon that looks (and I'm sure) sounds pretty good. Forget the negative posts. It's pretty obvious the install is quality. Why would you not do that just because it's a damn Audi? It's only a Skoda in a posh frock...

Ah, memories...

And to further emphasise my age I'd have that as my Desert Island Disc :blush:

Me too guilts as charged......:rockwoot: .

Me and some friends would always use that track to test the quality of the stereo upgrades done on our cars when we were about 17-18......if we blew the speakers with that track....they just wern't up to the job and had to be replaced. Ah the good ol days......

****** hell........that was 10 yrs ago !!!! :scared2:
Where did it all go !!!!! Im off to buy a classic dance compilation cd to help me recapture my earlier years....:bye:

Time flies mate haha - i remember putting my first system in over 5 years ago! such tack - i think it was a sony black face HU, type s comps, type s sub, 1 alpine amp and infinity 6x9s lol

oh the mistakes that were made in my youth :p

thanks for the comments!

copperband said:
Boydie,

Was there a lot of complication in putting the Focals in the front?I've read elsewhere that there is a lot of work needed to accommadate the speakers in the front when you take out the standard ones, plus you need to add MDF to attach them to something sold rather than just the door card??

Same question as above Boydie, is there any issue with the focals, are the KP2's the way to go and if so is is the standard depth ones?

What did you do for the rear speakers?

the KP2's are awesome and i would recommend them!

as far as i know they were a direct fit as i saw the standard blaupunk (spl) speakers come out and they are massive

i dont know what you mean about the standard depth ones - do you mean are the focals the same depth as standards? that im not sure but as said - i think they were a straight fit

if not im sure a small MDF ring would be easy to make up

as for the rear - ther standards are still there but they are only there for the phone as far as i know - i have to ask the guys exactly what they have done!

you do not need rear speakers if you have decent components up front and some rear fill like a sub - other than that you can upgrade your rear speakers if you dont have or want a sub - focal coaxils i would recommend