My First VCDS Scan

Westy

Reaction score
My lead arrived today so I did my first scan to dry and diagnose some of my problems. Below are my errors:

ABS

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
35-00 - -
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

Can someone tell me where to find the Wheel Speed Sensor and also the part number for it if anyone knows it.

Thanks

Did you clear it & has it come back, its on the hub behind the abs spindle with the equally spaced holes, small squarish sensor with probably loads of brake dust or metal filings stuck to it, was on mine anyway

Yep as NHN as said clear the code then see if it comes back, if it does then it needs sorting, but if it did the ABS light would be lit. It says intermittent so it could be a problem which has been fixed... probably just a dirty sensor at some point.

Cheers guys. Its definitely shagged or very dirty cos the ABS light has been on for a week now and I cleared the fault and it came straight back.

I'll try giving it a clean first to see if that helps.

Wiki points mostly to the wheel sensor & wiring on the wheel sensor, so as already advised clean the sensor & check the wiring plug on the sensor as these can get damaged, its very unlikely its interior loom, not impossible but unlikely:

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44): Electrical Fault in Circuit

Possible Causes
  • Open Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)
  • ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)
  • Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44): Mechanical Malfunction

Possible Causes
  • Excessive Air Gap between ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) and Rotor
  • Short Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)
  • ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44) Installation
  • Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)
  • Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right (G44)

Hey Westle, have you looked at the ross tech wiki yet? Might not be a sensor, so best to check the easier items first (like wiring connections) before buying a new sensor ;)

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00287

Yeah I did check that and thought that checking the sensor first would be easier than checking the wiring :uhm:

I'll also try doing some live diags and see if there is any signal reaching the sensor at all.

cheers

Ok I did some live data logging on the wheel speed sensor and all 4 sensor are putting out the same data!

I have cleaned the sensor and checked the wireing to the connector behind the wheen hub and cleaned this too. The ABS light went out for about half a mile then came back again. I think i'll just replace the sensor this saturday.

Does anyone know the part number and cost of one of these?

Westle I know its a ball ache, but just a suggestion, I need to check part numbers to see if they are same, but try switching rear sensors & see if the fault follows to the other side then you've got your answer huh, not to hard of a job & also gives you the answer you need overall if sensor or further up the chain

That's a good suggestion and one that I would love to do but..... When I tried to remove the sensor It wouldn't come out easy so I tried prizing it out with a flat head screwdrive and a few taps of the hammer. I noticed that the material surounding the sensor was quite soft and started to break! I'm worried that I wont be able to get it out without braking it and then the sensor on my other rear wheel may have the problem and i'm left with 2 new sensors to buy lol.

I'll try to get the rear sensors out again this saturday, any tricks for getting it out in 1 piece?

WD40 mate & lots of it, you not got elsawin?